In Proportion - Finally! - New Zealand

Today is day three post-op. Up until I was on the...

Today is day three post-op. Up until I was on the operating table, I wasn't sure it was actually going to happen. I've had large breasts since I was a teenager. When I became pregnant at 21, they grew. Breastfeeding almost didn't happen. After a second pregnancy (12 months later) they grew some more. I looked forward to seeing them diminish, which so many people assured me they would following breast feeding. Huh! Not! They just sagged. Then I lost some weight and they sagged some more.
I'm an active person and have found it difficult doing some activities. I like to kayak, mountain bike, ride horses, run, and many other activities with my family. I always feel so self conscious about my breasts. A friend (who has the same size breasts) and I have always joked about going on a plastic surgery holiday and getting our breasts done.

Last year I changed my contraception from depo shots to a Jadelle insert. This caused my breasts to swell and become heavy and tender. Last straw. I googled plastic surgeons and e-mailed a local one who looked good. He e-mailed me back, I made an appointment, and it was all go. We have a very different health system in NZ, and that means I have to pay for it - $13,650 NZD (around 10K US). Once I was booked in, I felt bad for my daughter who is/was bigger than me. So I asked her if she wanted to have the same procedure - yes please. Just as well my mortgage wasn't big to begin with.

So, she had her op on June 29th and is recovering beautifully. She looks fantastic. Much more in proportion. I had mine on Tuesday the 4th and three days later am finally getting over the anaesthesia and other drugs. Like the look of my new boobs and have already bought a bikini online. I've never worn a bikini before. Exciting!

Now I'm just focusing on getting better. I'm hoping to be back at work on the 16th. I'm also looking forward to getting back to the gym and toning up. Can't wait to go shopping, but after reading so many comments about ladies who went shopping and were worn out afterwards, I've decided to wait until I feel well.

Thanks to everyone who's shared their stories. I found them all so helpful and inspiring.

Day four This morning I washed my hair (or at...

Day four
This morning I washed my hair (or at least my husband did) and put on real clothes. Ooh, that looked good. I was worried that I wasn't small enough, but I think I look really good. I'm having trouble sleeping on my back and the revolting taste in my mouth from the anaesthetic and drugs isn't helping either. Am only taking paracetamol now. I'm really glad I read others' reviews about the different sensations in the breasts following surgery. Last night there was a fullness and some strange shooting almost-but-not-quite pains. My left nipple has sensation but my right one doesn't - it has more bruising. I expect it will come right in its own time. The outside of each breast is quite yellow from bruising and there is also some bruising under my arms. Nothing drastic.
I'm just working hard at doing nothing and hoping I heal in good time.

Day ten Even though I'd read about it in so many...

Day ten
Even though I'd read about it in so many other reviews, I still went and overdid it yesterday - just a little - and was a bit sore last night. I did some work at school and then did the grocery shopping with my daughter who had the op four days ahead of me. Carrying stuff wears you out - even if it's not that heavy. I found it difficult to get stuff off the shelves (I even stood on the side of the refrigerators to reach something) and shutting the boot (trunk for Americans) was something I couldn't do; just as well my daughter could. Despite that, I'm off pain meds. I'm not even taking paracetamol now. Oh, but I can drive. My auto is at the panelbeaters (paint shop) because I rear-ended someone the night before surgery - oops - other things on my mind maybe, so I'm having to drive my daughter's manual (stick shift). Making do :-)

My right side is really bruised. Hubby puts arnica on it every evening for me, and he says it looks like raw meat. Attractive - not! Because of the greater bruising on one side, I think they are healing at different rates and so the right is slightly more swollen (bigger) than the left. Under my left breast there are a couple of folds. I can't see them from the top (from the top, everything looks ideal) but when I look in the mirror they concern me a little. I'll see the PS on Monday and discuss it then. I'm not going to panic because I think as they heal and drop a little, everything will be fine.

I'll take and upload some photos over the next day or so.

Day 13 Today I went back to work. Wasn't a big...

Day 13
Today I went back to work. Wasn't a big deal really. I even managed to write on the whiteboard - just not too high.
We (daughter and I) saw the PS this arvo and had our tape changed again. He was happy with it, and he explained how the puckering would sort itself out as the swelling subsided and gravity does its thing. He was surprised at the amount of bruising I have. We're going back to see him in a fortnight.
Having said that, I am tired now, and so I'm off to bed early. Oh, and one bonus - last night I mostly slept on my side - yahoo!

Just popping up some photos... breasts are feeling...

Just popping up some photos... breasts are feeling really good, but there's still a ton of bruising.
Charles Davis

I found him on the internet. During my consultation he was sensitive and compassionate and non-judgemental.

Hi Rockinrob, totally missed that post. Glad you messaged me. I've posted photos which I just snapped in terrible light, but you'll get the idea.
You look fantastic, what size were you pre op? Do you recommend your doctor?
Hi LC, no feeling yet. It's weird though, because it is touch sensitive. It stands to attention when touched. I'm hoping it's just bruising affecting the sensation.. time will tell for us both. Good luck. :-)
Hey NZ,

Did you regain feeling in your right nipple? I cannot feel mine, and am hoping this is temporary.

LC

Pictures look great!
Thanks - do you think the bruising is excessive? Did you have much?

You do have quite a bit of bruising, but I don't neccesarily think it is excessive. I'm not one to bruise very much and I had quite a bit too, and for some odd reason I had this on big spot of it on the top of one of my breasts. There is a lot of trauma to the tissues and this is just part of the healing process. Did you have lipo at all? I know that lipo is very aggressive and that causes a lot of trauma to the surrounding tissue, so that could be some of it too. You should start noticing it all changing to a very interesting display of colors over the next couple of weeks. But then you will start to get back to normal and then those little girls will be soooo pretty!
No lipo thankfully, imagine the bruising otherwise :). Thanks for your support. I love being able to check in with those who have been there already.
Thanks ladies :-)
Thanks for sharing your story! So happy to hear you are doing well! Wishing you continued happy healing to you and your daughter!

Glad that you are doing so well!

I had ridges and crinkles in my skin under the breasts and at the sides, but after a couple of months they all smoothed out.
Thanks Iowa, that's reassuring. My daughter is a bit worried because her right breast is bigger than her left. He took more off the right so it doesn't make sense. Swelling? We see the PS on Monday.

I would say it could be more swelling. If he took off more from that side, that means he probably did more work and adjusting of the tissues. Good luck at your appointment.
They look amazing!!! Take it easy... One day at the time. Happy recovery;)
Thanks islander... hope you're doing ok too. What size did you end up? Do you know?
Hi!! Yesterday, I saw them for the first time. But the pain medication and antibiotic made me so sick that I couldnt enjoy them. Th PS stopped all the medication and I am feeling better. I will post pic later on today.
I'm not sure about the size, is hard to tell since they are perky and round:) I believe I will be a C or full B...

Do u have any sensation?

Hope you are feeling FANTASTIC!!
Aren't meds awful on the system. I know exactly what you mean. I was so pleased I'd done this but my first look wasn't a great experience. My PS says I'll be a full B or small C too, but like you say it's kinda hard to tell while they're sitting so high and pert. My left breast has good sensation but my right, which has more bruising, isn't so great. I think it's coming back though.

Glad you're feeling better. Hope you keep on improving and enjoy your new look. :)"
Claire, I'm wondering what type of surgery did you have - ie, where are your incisions? Inverted T or lollipop?
Yes, I'm sure you'll be great too Jules. I remember counting down from 112 days to my op. It seems to take forever.
Claire, I'm expecting to be a small C too and am happy with that. I've never looked so good in a singlet.

I'll update my review with more details (and more pics soon) so I'm not repeating myself. :)
I'm happy with the amount now, at first i was a bit shocked because we had talked about a mid to large c but i'm now a small c - but the size they are is in proportion with my body and i'm really happy with the size and the shape is really natural looking except one nipple has a small wobble... I was so scared before I went for it but kept reading all these stories about how everyone is like "it was a breeze" and I have to say all the hospital staff made me feel so so at ease - I am sure you will be great!
Hi there,my appointment went really well. The surgeon was lovely and has done a lot of training overseas with some well known surgeons.The only thing that I was a bit worried about is that the amount she was going to take off each breast seemed alot less than I expected. I only want to do this once and dont want to be left wishing I had more taken off. The good thing was she is very willing to work with me and her before and after pictures are very nice. Her price was good as well and the theatre nurses who I work with(I am a nurse at a private hospital) said she is great and quite particular with her work. So I feel that she will be the surgeon I am going to choose.
Hi there Claire, glad to hear everything is healing well for you. Are you pleased with your shape and the amount they took off? Sorry if I am rambling but I am starting to get quite excited now that the reality of having it done is getting closer.
NZgirls,how are you going and would love to see some updated photos if possible. I will post my photos when I get this done as this has been such a great website for me.Am looking at getting it done in about 10 weeks as this is when I can get some time off work.
Also I am in Auckland and was at Southern Cross Epsom - they were so good and I was really happy with the care there.
I felt pretty zoned out for a few days but i was up and about like normal really quick and back at work a week later -but I am a very fit, healthy 26 year old so my surgeon said that would be a huge help. I feel pretty normal now but the scarring is still visible butt fading. i had post op check every week for 4 weeks and with the surgeon 3 of those times. im not sure how many i'll have after my 2 months check (a little behind schdule!)
Hi Claire, wow - three months. That seems miles away. Can't wait! How long did it take for you to feel 'normal'? I don't know anyone in NZ who's had this op so it's nice to meet people on here.