I'm 40 years old and I'm getting a hernia repair,...

I'm 40 years old and I'm getting a hernia repair, tummy tuck, muscle repair and lip in exactly a week from today. I also hope they will remove a lot of scar tissue from a previous surgery I had 13 years ago. I posted a couple of other times about how my PS is not requiring any pre-op tests for me which really had me concerned. But after speaking with him Friday, I learned that many hospitals are no longer requiring such tests because they are irrelevant on a healthy patient. I still have some reservations but since he's certified, been around for years and operating in the best hospital in the area, I have to trust him.

Since I am still overweight, I am not under any expectations that this will make me skinny and I'm not using it for weight loss. I lost 40 lbs and hit a plateau. It's been kind of hard to keep my motivation knowing that my stomach will always be fat and hideous so my PS thought I would be a good candidate and even said my new stomach could be used as good motivation to keep going.

I am very excited to have this done, I have been wanting it for years. I have been reading a lot on here about what to expect, how to prepare etc and actually has the date gets closer I'm on these boards more and more. What a great support system. I'm looking forward to sharing my journey over the next several months!

Please join RealSelf or sign in.

I can't believe how calm I am. After the last...

I can't believe how calm I am. After the last couple of weeks of freaking out, I thought for sure i would be a mess but I'm not. I'm looking forward to having the surgery over and beginning to heal. I also was a fairly heavy smoker all this and my doctor said absolutely NO nicotine for a month before the surgery. So as soon as I got my date, I quit cold turkey and it was the hardest thing I've done in my life. I had hopes of losing more weight before my surgery but the no smoking has caused me to stay the same. Once I have a flat tummy I want to do everything I can to lose weight, be healthy and maintain my new body.

If you don't mind me asking, what procedure did you have done 13 years ago that caused scar tissue? Looking forward to hearing about and seeing your results!

I don't mind you asking at all! I went in for an emergency appendectomy and they saw a mass next to my appendix which they removed. Apparently the doctor thought it could be cancer so he opened me up to look for more masses. So I got an upside down "T" and at the top of the scar I ended up getting a hernia. When all was said and done, it was diverticulitis and they only found the one mass :)
Good Luck on your journey. Your TT is just the start.

Today was my phone consultation which is really...

Today was my phone consultation which is really the only "pre-op" I'm getting. I told them about the tingling in my hands and the "pinched nerve" feeling in my left arm and they didnt' seem to think it was anything to reschedule for so I guess I'm set to go in 4 days! This weekend I was spend getting everything I need. I have a pretty good list going thanks to this site here, my latest item I added was a toilet seat riser. I plan on turning my livingroom in to my room at least for the first few days since going to my bedroom would require me to go up 13 stairs.

Did anyone NOT recover in a recliner? If so, was it a painful experience and do you wish you had gotten a recliner?

I'm going in the day before you! I, too, have lost weight and can't lose the belly! I also quit smoking, cold turkey and will be at a month on my surgery date. My PS has ordered oxygen for me for the first week since I haven't been quit for too long. At first that bothered me, but then I thought, heck, the oxygen will help in healing, so okay! I actually gained about 6 lbs after quitting and it's not going anywhere, so it is what it is! Good luck on your surgery, I will be following you!
Oh good luck to you on Monday! Congrats on the quitting smoking!!! That was hard...I think I'm finally over the awful moods :) I'll be looking out for your update next week, keep us posted!
Besides the stomach, you actually look really thin. You're gonna look great!

I've had family unexpectedly come in from out of...

I've had family unexpectedly come in from out of town this weekend so I haven't had much time to prepare for Tuesday's surgery. They are leaving tomorrow and then the real preparing can begin. The rest of my supplies, the groceries and I still need to do some cleaning since I won't be able to for a bit. Tonight I'm going to scour these messages and look for more things I might need.

My nerves got the best of me earlier but a friend of mine talked me off the ledge. I want to go in to the surgery with a positive attitude so much! It's hard not to be worried, and I know that most are. I hate that I think the worst and I am hoping that I can laugh about this in a few months.

Welcome to the community.

You will be fine dear.. these nerves are normal but just trust your ps he knows what he is doing.

Tomorrow is the big day. I'm trying to feel more...

Tomorrow is the big day. I'm trying to feel more excited than nervous. I have last minute preparations to make like grocery shopping, laundry etc. I'm getting my livingroom prepared since that's where I'll be staying although a friend of mine who had a full mommy makeover said that I should be able to walk upstairs right away, just slowly.

I'm still nervous that I didn't have to have any pre-op tests done and didn't get any kind of list of things I will need after my surgery. Thank goodness for this site or I would be so unprepared. I would have to have my dad go out and get everything for me and he probably would have complained. LOL

Anyway the next time I post, I will be on the flat side. Good luck to everyone today that's having it done. Keeping you in my thoughts. xo

Good luck tomorrow. Cannot wait to see you on the flat side!
Good luck with your surgery, GW! Hope everything goes great! :)
cant wait to see your results! youre going to be an inspiration to so many women who think they need to be 'skinny' to have this procedure. i'm following you faithfully! : ) Good luck!

My doctor's office called and CANCELLED this...

My doctor's office called and CANCELLED this morning. They said he's sick. I feel so disappointed and mentally screwed writh right now. All the time I took off work, all the extra money I spent on food, and cooking all day yesterday. I'm disappointed, mad, and exhausted right now. I took a month off of work too, and now I get to go in to work and face everyone and answer questions as to why I'm there.

Oh and he already paid himself too and I got my first bill for a surgery I didn't even have yet. I'm so not comfortable with any of this.

Please join RealSelf or sign in.

Today was an awful day. I ended up going to work...

Today was an awful day. I ended up going to work after my surgery was cancelled at 5AM this morning. I figured they would know today and talk about it anyway and so I might as well be there. That was a mistake....I started uncontrollably crying at work when someone asked me why I was there. I NEVER cry at work, let alone in front of anyone.

I am feeling much better hours later and I've come to realize a few things. First, I think I've been obsessing about this for the last month. I've been on the boards several times a day, and it has consumed just about every thought I've had. I've been looking up tips, tricks, happy stories, bad stories, cancellations, pre-op tests, etc. I've made plans, lists, went shopping, talked to people daily and I just am tired. I'm tired of having it consume my thoughts.

The other thing I realized is that for whatever reason, it was not meant to happen today. Maybe the doctor would have been just getting sick and not having symptoms and I could have gotten an infection. Or maybe the accident that slowed traffic this morning could have been me on my way there. Or whatever the reason it wasn't meant to happen. I also think that I already went through all of the stages of anxiety and worry and maybe this time around, I can just be excited for it to happen without making myself almost sick over it. Maybe I can enjoy my life for a little while before it going through this big surgery and then enjoy my body as it changes instead of thinking of all the bad things that *could* happen.

So my new date is 2/5. This time around I'll have to find someone else to take me since my dad is going on vacation for 3 weeks. I will have to find someone to look after me during the first few days. And so what? There are worse things in life. This time around, I will let me friends know my date of surgery, I will let work know of the new date and then I will shut up about it until the day before. Because whether it happens on 2/5 or is cancelled 10 more times, I don't ever want to have to go through this again or put my family and friends through the wait and wonder either. Good luck to everyone who is having an upcoming surgery, you'll be in my thoughts. Will update at some point before surgery. xo

2/5 it is! That's a great day! Good luck! Looking at your pictures you will have great results. Girl watch out you are going to be smoking hot. Here is a great diet www.mydukandiet.com I lost a ton of weight. It's easy and the only exercise you really have to do is walking. I've even lost weight doing no exercise. See ya on the flat side. Im available if you have any questions. Oh my main advice is to take recovery one day at a time. It's slow and grueling. But everyday it gets better. And one day before you know it you will be 5 months PO and feeling great.
I just checked the diet out and it looks like something I could do. Are you in the last phase?
Thank you ladies for your support about my cancellation. I agree that it's for the best! I feel so much better today and I know that this is what I needed to stop obsessing about it and live my life until the date actually gets here. I can't stay away from here though, this site has been such a blessing! :) xo

I accidentally put this in my comments section......

I accidentally put this in my comments section....sorry for the double post! :)

This week was busy at work and next week should be too which is GREAT because it stops me from obsessing over my surgery date. I'm excited this time around!! I'm sure I'll be nervous next weekend but so far I'm just looking forward to seeing results. I do have a question though...how many post op appointments can I expect to have after the surgery in the first 2-3 weeks? I mean assuming everything is normal and I'm draining "normal" (whatever that is LOL). I ask because my dad was going to be the one caring for me and taking me to appointments but since they changed my surgery date I don't have that now since he goes away on vacation the day after my surgery. So now I need to plan for other rides to my appointments.

Hi there! We are 2/5 buddies! Lets see, my ps has scheduled me for two days after surgery and then again 7 days after and I believe the next is either 2 or 4 weeks after. It all depends on how I'm recovering. I would call you ps and see what they have you scheduled for.
My surgery is 2/28. I'm already so nervous, I broke out in hives tonight in Walmart buying some of the things I'll need. Good luck and God bless! I'll follow you!
Good luck! My surgery is 2 days after your!

Up until a day or so I was doing well and keeping...

Up until a day or so I was doing well and keeping busy so that I don't obsess about my surgery on 2/5. But here I am again...from the minute I get home until almost bedtime I'm scouring the websites. Looking here, looking on the internet about the surgery, looking on Youtube at TT journey videos. I hate that I'm back to obsessing. Did anyone else do that? I have a few things I have to pick up this weekend, but other than that I would really like to get through the next 4 days without thinking about it so much!

When I first decided to have the TT I obsessed about it. I was so excited. Eventually the excitement died down. Now I'm excited all over again. I don't consider it obsession. I think it's natural to want to know what you're gonna look like and what the procedure entails. I'm looking forward to seeing your after pics : )
Best of luck to you!! I live here in Albany, NY and am scheduled to have a Fleur de lis TT and brachioplasty on 2/20. Just found this site while obsessing!
LOL me too!! Good luck to you also, I'll send you healthy vibes on your surgery date! :)

I did my grocery shopping today so I'm set for a...

I did my grocery shopping today so I'm set for a couple of weeks. I need a couple of more things and then I'm done and ready for Tuesday. I'm adding a couple more pics. One is of my back (flanks?) which I'm having lipo on and the other is a pic of me in my "fat" skinny jeans. They are actually too big on me which is why I wear the belt. But I think they will be a good jean to compare to when I'm on the flat side. The other pairs I have are too snug and I probably won't be able to wear them for months!

Hi ladies!! I really wanted to get a recliner but I can't afford it :( This surgery is tapping me out financially. I'm so afraid of splitting my stitches! I think that's what happened at my last surgery years ago, since my scar is much thicker at the top. I've been looking on Craigslist to see if I can find one there.
Gw another thing that will work is if you have a computer chair sleep sitting down.. that will work 2..
I didn't have a recliner after my GBS. I just propped up a lot of pillows on my bed. I think a recliner might be ideal. But, I don't think you're doomed without it. Don't stress. You're almost there. I am very excited for you. Looking forward to following your journey.

After reading the advice on some great people...

After reading the advice on some great people here, I ended up renting an electric recliner. I didn't think they had them at my local Rent a Center but I found one and called them today. They can deliver it Wednesday so I will only have to suffer one night on the couch. I'm excited to have the chair. By what everyone says it will make my recovery that much easier and that's what is important. Plus it's pretty cheap at only $36/wk.

Tomorrow is the big day, can't believe it's finally here. It seems like months since they cancelled my last date but really it was only two weeks ago. I've managed tonight not to feel nervous, just excited to get it over and done with. I will make an update as soon as I can. Thank you everyone for the support and advice. See you on the flat side :)

Waiting to hear from you. How's life on the flat side??
hope you're doing ok love...
Hope you are doing okay! Check in when you can.

I'm two days PO and I'm not gonna lie, it's been...

I'm two days PO and I'm not gonna lie, it's been painful! I thought I prepared for the worst its worse than that. But today is the first day where I feel well enough to get on the computer. The surgery was longer than expected. Apparently the hernia was way larger than they thought. It was the whole one side of my stomach. But my PS said everything looked great. Between the TT and the lipo he got rid of 16 lbs! I don't see him until Monday and I'm too afraid to look. I'm getting some leakage from one of the drain sites which is kind of annoying. At first I was really concerned at the amount coming out and I thought I split the incision open. But the PS said that it was liekly the drain site and I since I have hundreds of stitches both inside and out, it's very unlikely that I opened the incision. Oh and lastly I'm not really thrilled with my pain med. He gave me 5mg of Oxycodone and to me it feels like it's barely touching the pain. I have to call him in the morning. Anyway I'm glad that the surgery is over and I look forward to feeling better every day!

hope @ll is well c@n h@rdly w@it for your upd@tes @nd pictures here is hoping you @re doing well lots of luck to you LUCK LUCK LUCK LUCK LUCK LUCK LUCK LUCK LUCK LUCK LUCK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Glad all went good just take it easy drink lost of fluids even if it means going to the bathroom more that's all good n definantly get all the rest u can .
Glad you are okay. Cant wait to see pics.

My recovery has been pretty standard. At some...

My recovery has been pretty standard. At some points I feel better than others but for the most part I'm pretty much on schedule. I'm draining like crazy. My next appointment isn't until next Thursday but I have a feeling I will still have my drains in but we'll see. I finally got the nerve to take off my CG and I'm in awe what my surgeon did. I'm very swollen but so flat I can almost imagine the results. Just looking at my before and after pics I don't think I will ever get those depressed feelings people talk about. I went from having a deformed stomach with a massive hernia to something that looks normal. I'm so happy. I look forward to progressing weekly, no matter how slow or how long it takes it's worth it.

Wow you look great too!!! A 150% change. We are gonna be two hot mommas come bikini season!!
I like the sound of that! Yes we are! :)
I want to answer everyone but I just took my pain pill and ready to nap. But thank you everyone for your wonderful words..I am so incredibly happy with the work my PS did! He said he was very aggressive and I'm so glad. I'm still draining like crazy and often times soaking through clothes but I'm keeping up with it. Thanks to all of you who recommended the recliner I LOVE IT. I can't imagine how awful it would have been to lay on my hard couch and to strain getting up and down. I also notice that certain foods bother me. I had a turkey sandwich this afternoon...the turkey came pre-sliced in a package and must have been too high in sodium, boy did I swell up so uncomfortably! Ouch. I'm in awe of how our body stays in tune with the trauma it goes through with this surgery. We are all strong women to go through this that's for sure. xoxo

I spoke too soon. Today is my worst feeling day...

I spoke too soon. Today is my worst feeling day yet I think and I am depressed. Not that I did this to myself but I thought I would feel better by now. I've had no BM, I keep draining all over myself so I sometimes avoid my drains so that I can stay dry, my compression garment is a mess and I can't remember reading whether or not its ok to take it off for a while so I can wash it. I have no appetite but I forced down some cereal because when I got up to do my drains I felt so weak and I look so pale. My tummy is grumbling like crazy, probably gas. I just feel awful. Crying on and off all morning, and feel stupid for doing so. I have gone longer without the pain med because I want to have a BM and not feel loopy. When will I start to feel better?

Wow. You look soo...normal : ) I haven't had mine done yet, but I think I'm gonna put holes in some sanitary napkins and put my drains through them and tape them under my compression garment. I can't even imagine sitting for one second in that garment with all of that drainage. I'll already be uncomfortable enough as it is. You'll be ok. Mostly it's probably just the tumescent fluid draining. It'll slow down. I can't believe how good you look. Now I know I'm gonna be ok : )
OH IM SO SORRY YOU @RE NOT FEELING WELL BUT YOU @LRE@DY LOOK F@NT@STIC GIRL I WILL BE SO GL@D WHEN TH@T IS ME PLE@SE KEEP US UPD@TED WITH PICTURES @ND COMMENTS @ND HERE IS SOME BIG LOVE & LUCK JUST FOR YOU LOVE LUCK LOVE LUCK LOVE LUCK LOVE LUCK LOVE LUCK LOVE LUCK LOVE LUCK LOVE LUCK LOVE LUCK LOVE LUCK LOVE LUCK LOVE LUCK LOVE LUCK LOVE LUCK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! SENT YOU SOME EXTR@ JUST IN C@SE
I'm sorry you are feeling sad today, but know that it is normal. I am 10 days PO and still draining through my clothes every day. I understand your frustration. Are you a redhead by any chance? I am and have learned from several doctors that redheads bleed more. Be sure to eat foods with lots of fiber & take a stool softener. The first bm can be rough if you don't. Good Luck!

What a difference a day makes. I am feeling much...

What a difference a day makes. I am feeling much better emotionally every day and realize I will have some bad days here and there. I also expected way too much and have to remember I'm only a few days post op. So I improved my mood and I got proactive with the bowel movements. I had my son buy me prune juice and also Fiber One cereal. I drank two glasses of juice last night and also took 2 dulcolax in the middle of the night. I ended up having a small movement this morning. Yay!! It was more like water with all the stuff I took but I'll take something over nothing. I'll keep up with the juice and the cereal also and hopefully to keep me regular. Between sitting there and trying for the BM and then emptying the drains, etc, it took me an hour total and now I'm wiped out. I plan on napping for a little while before my next set of meds and hopefully later will take more pics. Thanks to everyone who talked me off the ledge yesterday :)

Our after pics look similar as well. How are you feeling?
God, I swear the BM stuff was the worst part of the first few days for me (on top of the soreness, tiredness, nausea etc.) Not being able to go made me feel SO sore from a bloated tummy and SO nauseous. I finally started throwing back the prune juice, taking 4 senokots a day... and I felt like a new person after! Haha. Here's to getting over those first few days, you're going to look amazing! Speedy recovery to you :)
I know what you mean! Prune juice and laxative is definitely the way to go. Anything to get thru these first few days..phew! thank you :)

Here I am Post Op 6, tomorrow will be a week. It's...

Here I am Post Op 6, tomorrow will be a week. It's been a slow week! I have been wanting to update every day but sometimes I don't have the energy. Last night for the first time I slept more than 2 hours in row. I only woke up once at 3AM to do the bathroom event (event is what it is LOL!) and then back to bed and I didn't get up until after 9! Today I had absolutely no energy. I felt weak and out of it. I also spent most of the day without any pain meds. I'm trying to get off them so I can return to some normalcy. But around 4pm I took some and then suddenly got a burst of energy. So I washed up, and washed my hair and it felt so good!! My energy carried through a few hours and now I'm relaxing for the evening. I hope tomorrow I get some energy too. Today for the first day I barely soaked through my clothes with the drains. I hope this is a new trend, as this was the most bothersome. I did talk to my PS earlier because my drains weren't draining for a few hours, which he said was fine. And he moved my appointment to 2/21 which means a whole other week and 2 days with the drains :( But I'm going to take it for what it is and do what I have to do as long as it means I'm recovering nicely! Tomorrow I will try to take some 1 week pics and post. Happy recovering! xo

Please join RealSelf or sign in.

I have a garment question. Is your garment...

I have a garment question. Is your garment supposed to go over your hips? My hips are extremely swollen. I look like a can of biscuits and that my hips are popping out of the sides. LOL I wonder if part of that is because the garment isn't positioned over them and my hips are naturally bigger anyway. When the garment is on, it isn't over the scar on my hips. Should it be?

My hips looked like that too at the beginning. While in the shower soap them then massage. Do it with every shower. They will go down. Check out my pictures
My cg barely goes over my hips and it was causing my left thigh to go numb. But yes it should go over them if you have the panty style that hooks on the side and in the crotch
I have good and bad days. The lipo is the hardest...my lower back is always in pain. The drains are the biggest pain for me because they drain all over the place. But it's getting a little better every day. How are you feeling?

This morning I talked to the nurse in my PS office...

This morning I talked to the nurse in my PS office and she informed me that I didn't have my garment in the right spot, so I fixed it. In order for it to stay over my hips, I may need to keep adjusting it throughout the day. So the first time after that I took it off to adjust it, I noticed that my side was concaved inwards and I had a dent in my side. (see pics) I was mortified....it seems like disfigurement! So I called them and the nurse called me back and told me not to worry. It's just build up of fluid around the tissue. The garment is not going to disfigure me or "ruin" the surgery like I was thinking it was. Still, it looks and feels weird. So far, hours later it hasn't gotten any better. I sure hope it does!!

I have a dent also. I think it's from swelling. I will post pics tomorrow.
Does it seem real when you look at your before pics? Despite all of the swelling and soreness, I know it's so worth it.
Great pics! I can see how your swelling went down in your hips a lot! That's a huge relief I thought last night I was gonna be lopsided. LOL You look so good, you have a perfect shape!!!

So I still have that dent in my side. I'm really...

So I still have that dent in my side. I'm really hoping that it either fills out or that the swelling on my hip goes down enough to make it even out. To touch it feels so weird. Like there was a chunk taken out of the inside of me, leaving a gaping hole. I hope I explain that right. Did anyone else have that? My other side is normal. I do not want to be lopsided or deformed :( My drainage has slowed down a lot since I moved my CG down too. I'm not due to see the dr for another 8 days either. I hope everything is ok. I can't wait to take a real shower, and to drive. That's about it.

Not sure, but Vee's explanation make sense.
I have that too! It's going down slowly! My dr says its from the extreme amt of fat he removed from lipo and kin from tuck. It will get better each day, recovery is a process. I have to keep telling myself that.
the one thing i noticed was that my posterior flanks looked SO much worse after my tt. probably my stomach looks so much better that these things are more noticeable. with you, you might be noticing something that was hiding behind your tummy before. could also be swelling... hope it smooth out! your stomach looks great!

Post Op day 9...still gradually getting better...

Post Op day 9...still gradually getting better every day. Today I decided that I spend far too long laying around all day on my recliner and I need to get up and do normal things, at least as much as I can. Today I made dinner for my son before he went to work, picked up around the house a little bit and for the first time since I got home, I went upstairs to my bedroom. It felt good to be getting around! I even took a couple pics in my bathroom which I'm posting. I do know that if I stand too long my upper back starts to hurt from hunching. Things do make me more tired than usual but one step at a time makes it better and better. I still can't wait for the drains to go and I wish I didn't have to wear this CG either :)

Love the new pics!! You are healing and recovering beautifully!!
You look great. Glad to see the dent is disappearing.
Woohoo!

I don't know if my two trips upstairs and all the...

I don't know if my two trips upstairs and all the picture taking was too much but last night and this morning I feel super sore. Up until yesterday it was always in my back. Now I feel it in my incision too and even more tender in my back. Did anyone else feel ok on the incision and then have it suddenly hurt one day? I'm having a blah moment right now. I can't wait to feel back to normal again, and to not feel so bored and limited sitting around most of the day. Tomorrow I will be getting out of the house twice which I look forward to but I hope it doesn't add more pain. Happy healing everyone xo

Hey TT feb 5 sister! My incision only hurt when I didnt take my pain meds for a day. my new pain seems to be where they took out the drain. It's super sensitive, but had been fine up until this morning. I also have a new pain in my right hip that is like a shooting pain when I sleep. Have you looked at your incision to see if its inflamed? I plan on looking at my drain site this am. I am also gettting a little cabin fever. i am going to go out today for an hour. my shower yesterday exhausted me so hope the fresh air today helps me feel better. You look so great by the way, I am sure you are very excited! Happy healing and hope you feel better.
Hi I will be 4 weeks post op on Monday and my tummy still hurts, it varies from the top part to the bottom, I would not worry too much just rest losts and let your body heal. The sitting about drives you nuts, I am up to 4 mile walks every 2 days, hoping to increas that to 6 miles by 6 weeks. Happy healing xx
Looking good!

I finally got out of the house twice yesterday. It...

I finally got out of the house twice yesterday. It felt so good to be out among humans. But I recognized quickly last night that I am definitely nowhere near being 100%. My lower back is so swollen that sitting in a car seat, booth and seat at the movie theater was no so comfortable at all! My lower back hit the sit and my upper back was nowhere close to it. Ouch! But I had fun and look forward to doing more as my body can handle it. I know that ultimately icing my swollen areas won't take it away forever and it has to go away on it's own. But do you think it's worth it to ice it now to take it down a little bit or just let it go away on it's own? Up until now I've just been healing "naturally" and not doing anything other than resting and getting plenty of fluids.

Did the ice help? P.S. the dent was looking way better in day 9. I'm still pretty uneven. My left side sticks out more than my hip creating a love handle effect on that side. I do not know if it's swelling or if I'm just a fatty lol.
Thanks everyone. I did some icing last night and today and I am also making sure to keep adjusting my binder to make it tighter, as I really hadn't been doing that. I'm probably my own worst caregiver!
I'm icing multiple times a day.

It was two weeks yesterday, so I guess today would...

It was two weeks yesterday, so I guess today would be Post Op day 14? My back continues to be extremely swollen and sore. My hips also continue to be really swollen which makes that "dent" in my side very prominent (attached pics) It hasn't really changed at all. I've done some icing on my back but it swells back up again so I haven't kept up with it. I get to see my PS tomorrow for the first time and I have a feeling that he will only take one drain out. My right drain has barely drained anything in 24 hrs but the left one is still over 50 per day. I also wonder about my CG because if I move it a few inches either up or down, the swelling shifts. I have so many questions about what I'm seeing....I'm really looking forward to my appointment tomorrow so I can get some answers. I attached Day 14 pics. Happy healing everyone :) xo

I posted another up close picture of my dent, I'm bummed it hasn't changed! Does your unevenness look like that? I'm sure yours is just swelling and not being a fatty LOl! The ice didn't really help, the swelling didn't go down that I could tell, and it got even worse in the evening. I tried it a few times but I haven't kept up with it.

I had my first official post op appointment today...

I had my first official post op appointment today and neither drain was removed! He said that since I was still draining a little higher than I should be it's better to be completely safe and leave them in for TWO more weeks. He said he used to remove them sooner but half his patients would have to go back and get drained with a needle. His last 30 TT he did he removed them later and has not had to drain one. So I'll go with what he said. A little disappointing but it's not forever. He also put my mind at ease about my ugly dent. He said I will be pleased when all of the swelling finally goes down and the dent will go away. Also said I'm more than welcome to do the icing, drink lots of water etc but nothing is going to take the swelling down permanently except for time. He told me the hernia was in the entire top part of my tummy which was that huge protruding bulge which I kind of thought it was anyway, but I thought it was fat too. Yikes. He said that between lipo and the TT he took off 15-16 lbs and I will see that result eventually also. I'm glad I FINALLY got to see him and at least get some answers. It stinks that I will have to return to work with drains but I'll just keep picturing myself in tight little t-shirts and a bathing suit where I don't have to cover my belly and all will be forgotten :) Happy healing everyone xo

Holy smokes! Are you able to shower? What did he tell you about the bromelain? 15lbs is a lot and you are going to loooove it! The silver lining is knowing you will look great in the end. Sorry about the drain though..tis better to be safe than sorry.
Oh and ps...love the small t shirt! You look fantastic!
Great review! And yes, I obsess too :D

At my post op appointment the other day they gave...

At my post op appointment the other day they gave me a new binder. This one was smaller and has padding on the inside. When I wear it, it feels tighter although I can slip my hand inside a lot easier than I could with the other one. After a few hours of wearing it, my dent shifted. It appears as though the swelling came back to the dent area but made a new dent below it. I also have a lot more swelling in my hips and butt right below the garment. Personally I'm glad the dent is gone and I prefer this garment. But I'm wondering now how necessary it even is to wear the binder. I feel like all it's doing is pushing the swelling to other places. I've been reading up on CG's and a lot of them say they are important for the first 2-4 weeks but after they don't really do anything except make you feel secure. My own PS said there's nothing I can do to minimize my swelling permanently. The only thing that will get rid of it is time. That being said, did anyone here remove the binder/CG after 4 weeks and skip the Spanx, and if so do you think it took longer for your swelling to go down? Just curious.

You look great!! I am having a tt and lipo March 7th I am more worried about the pain from lipo than the tt. I have been told that is worst. Did you find that to be true?
You look so different! Wow! :)
I don't take my garment off except to take a shower. It has and continue to help with the dents. Try a lymphatic drain massage to help smooth out those areas as well. The CG is also beneficial in trying to avoid seroma. We WERE larger women so it'll take more time. I bought a garment in Walmart for extra firm control and love it. It's like an all in one pc so it doesn't stop just below scar line. You will be just fine, you are already doing great!!! Time time n more time will show u the results. :)

My PS put steri strips from one end of my incision...

My PS put steri strips from one end of my incision to the other and they are finally starting to fall off. Now that my incision is exposed, what should I do with it? I forgot to ask him at my app't if I should be putting neosporin on them. For now I've been covering up with non-adhesive bandages because I fear infection. Should I put neosporin on them? Other than that things are going well. The dent is officially gone thanks to the second binder he gave me the other day. But it's too short and keeps rolling up on the ends so now I'm back to the first one. Today I have my follow up with the general surgeon who fixed my hernia. It will be interesting to get his take on the eggplant that was growing inside me. LOL. Happy healing xo

I purchased Scarawy sheets and use that.
I put nothing on mine but I would check with your ps. You look great.
I love eggplant! Glad the dent has resolved. I did not put anything on my scar, My ps said I could put anything I wants, but nothing as needed. I had no infections, no stitch reaction and my scar looks great. I would check with you ps before you use anything.

Yesterday was my three week update. I don't see a...

Yesterday was my three week update. I don't see a change in the swelling since Day 1 but I'm not going to worry about that. The strips are coming off and my scar is gross but healing. Thanks to recommendations here, I put a maxi pad in the front of my underwear so that it doesn't get irritated. I did a side by side picture of my back and what a huge difference! My back is still sore and so swollen especially on the bottom which I included a picture of. Monday I had the appointment with the hernia doctor. He milked my drains although when he did the left one he pulled it kind of hard and it hurt. It was sore the rest of the day. After he did that and I got home, I had dark red fluid in my bulb, the same color as it was right after my surgery. I looked it up and it sounds like old blood was in there. He put me on another round of antibiotics. I asked him if he thought I had infection and he said no, it was preventative. I have some pretty gross stuff in my drains the past few days. Sorry TMI but its white strips of yuckiness and my bulbs look so nasty with white stuff on the side. I assume this is normal since I read about that too. I can't wait to get them out!! Happy healing xo

You look so great. You'll really get to see the difference in your clothes. I'm not sure if I'm going to wear a different size or not, but you've really changed significantly. You should be proud : )
Thank you, I am proud and just in awe of the flatness. Like you I'm not sure about the size change either. It will be interesting to see when the swelling is finally down for good!
I may be your drain sister, GW! I am 4 weeks PO today & still have my drain. Ugh! I know it is better than having the fluid inside of me, but I cannot wait to get rid of it. It's so annoying.

I've developed this hard swollen area above my...

I've developed this hard swollen area above my incision which has left a ridge of overhang over my scar. Thankfully I've done enough reading to know that it will most likely flatten over time. But of course I still can't help but feel anxious about it since I feel like I've already been through so much with this surgery. I took a picture of it. Has anyone else gotten this and did it go away? If so, how long? Also there are parts of my incision in the front are so red, I think they are infected. Thankfully my hernia surgeon put me on more antibiotics for two weeks so that should take care of it.

Hi lady. My doctor told me the swelling works from the top down, so that "ridge" and the pubic-area swelling will more than likely be the last to go. Also, give yourself some time to heal... from what I've read by the plastic surgeons on this site, it can take many months for swelling and the final-form of surgery to reveal itself. Being patient sucks, doesn't it? But we're in this together!
I had that ridge. It swelling and yeah, it feels hard, but that is basically where all the fluid goes, so it gets hard. It will go away. I'll be six weeks tomorrow and this morning was the first day I am really flat. I'm sure I'll swell back up, but now I know I can get there and that is all I needed to know!
Thank you! It helps to know that others have been through it since I over worry about things! Congrats for finally getting to complete flatness and I agree now that you know you can get there is a relief!!

Since my surgery I have done some walking at a...

Since my surgery I have done some walking at a fairly slow place but other than that I haven't done any real exercise. I've been dying to get back to zumba, although I know I'm not ready for the kind of exercise that I was used to before. As heavy as I was, I went hardcore. Jumping, high intensity and standing in the front of the class just to make sure I worked my hardest. I asked the instructor of the class who is also a friend of mine if I could come to class today if I promised to do very light impact.....meaning no jumping, no knee lifts and not even raising my arms. Just some movement along to the music. She reluctantly agreed and I have to say I felt GREAT! It was so much fun to move around with my peers to some great music and get some real exercise. I didn't move much from my spot so I didn't over do it. After class I went home and saw that it made me drain a decent amount which tells me that the exercise was a good thing. I can't wait to do it again. There's another class on Tuesday which has an easier instructor and I think I might try it out :)

I read your bit about the ridge and I don't have a full ridge, but I definitely have a 'lump' that is harder on one side of my incision and fuller, sticking out. The docs have to do internal stitching to make our scars slim and keep things secure, so I think that's part of the hardness we might be feeling. For me, a lot of it seems to do with how I wear my pants. If I wear jeans with a button the button presses more on one side, which flattens that side but the other bulges (hard.) If I wear tights it's all pretty even squishy. If I wear maternity pants like today (lol) my swelling ends up mostly in my upper abs because they're not being squished. Anyway, that's my take on the bulgy areas. Plus I am always bulgier just above my incision except for the morning!
I notice that the more I move the more I drain which is pretty bad considering I'm getting my last drain out on Tuesday : )
You look great! Take it easy...your ready to go for it! lol

I had my appointment on Thursday to get my drains...

I had my appointment on Thursday to get my drains removed and I didn't have them removed. My fluid levels were still at 80 for too many days and my PS wants to keep them in for another 11 days just to be safe. My next appointment is March 18th so that will be a total of 41 days with drains. UGH!! I was very positive at the appointment though. I told him that we do what we have to do for the best result I'll leave them in as long as he wants. He was surprised but pleased with my attitude and said that he just had to drain a woman that took her own drains out early and he was glad that I am open and willing to listen to him and not get impatient. I figured I paid good money for all this, why not follow instruction to get the best result. So here I am with drains and also the binder. His assistant said as long as I have the drains in to keep the binder on unless I can find something just as tight, which I haven't. Boy I think I'm going to throw myself a party when I can get rid of both of these things! :) Happy healing xo

Oh, I completely understand how you feel! I had drains until 33 days PO. The PS kept saying I would get them out but I kept draining too much. I was so, so happy when they finally came out! Hang in there! Your day is coming soon and you will feel so "Free" when they finally come out. : )
That's exactly the term I use too....I keep thinking I can't wait to get them out it will make me feel so free!! LOL And I won't have to wear baggy sweaters. :)
hey girl dont get discouraged i had my drains for about 7 - 8 weeks and i never developed a seroma nor i ever had get drained what i diid was massaged.my stomach to remove any excess.fluid

Yesterday when I got home from work and changed...

Yesterday when I got home from work and changed clothes, I noticed that my left drain had started to come out. I would say about 2 inches total had slipped out. My appointment was scheduled for Monday but he saw me today and decided that even though I was at 60 cc's total for several days for both drains, that they both could come out. I was SO happy!!! Now that they are out, he wants me in a super tight compression for one week. He said the binder is important so that I don't get any fluid collection. He told me I need to wear it at all times except for when I take a QUICK shower. I asked him if I could wear spanx and the binder and he said it was a good idea. Since my fluid levels were still a little bit high, I will do whatever I have to not to have to get drained with the needle. I'm really happy they are out now...no more hiding under bulky sweaters and sweatshirts!!! I attached a pic from last night with a new bra and panties that I got. This is an end of the day pic where I'm at my most swollen. I'm way flatter in the mornings and can't wait until all of that settles down. Now the only "problem" I have is that my jeans have to be a little too loose in the waist in order to fit over my fat thighs and booty. But you know what? From where I was before this, I'll take it. I'm dieting and exercising in the meantime and hoping the weight comes off from those areas first! :) We'll see!

Hi GW! You look really fantastic! I can only imagine how thrilled you are to be rid of the drains. My final one was pulled 15 DPO and that seemed like forever, so I feel for you having to have them both for 24 days. It's so freeing when they are finally out! I totally sympathize with you about the legs and booty. It's messed up cause now I look in the mirror and my eyes go right to my blubbery thighs!
you look great!
I am going to check out Walmart to see if I can get one there. I'll see how I am in a week after tight compression and then do the massage. Do you think it helped with the swelling too? I still have that ridge even at my flattest and would love to "help" it go away :)

It's been a week since I got my drains out. My PS...

It's been a week since I got my drains out. My PS instructed me to do tight compression for a week to minimize the chance of fluid build up. I had my follow-up appointment today and pointed out that one side of my tummy was slightly more swollen than the other. He said it didn't look like a seroma but put a needle in it anyway. No fluid came out, thank goodness!! Then he saw some stitches popping through my scar so he began removing them. Most of them I didn't feel but one of them he was digging and digging at and it was pinching and hurt but I didn't say anything because I figure if I can get through the brutality of liposuction, I can deal with being picked at with tweezers! LOL I don't have to go back for two months. I got on the scale this morning and I'm down 15 pounds since two weeks after my surgery. Oh I also told my PS about "swell hell". He laughed and I told him that's what the people on the message boards call it and that's what I am going through right now. So I guess I taught him a little something new LOL I'm sure I will get varying answers but I wanted to find out what does everyone do for their scar care? I figure it's time to start now. I asked my PS but he doesn't believe any of it works. So far he's been right about everything he's said but I can't just not put anything on it. I'll feel later like I could have and should have done something to make my scar look better. I'm open to all recommendations. Thank you in advance!

Thank you everyone for the suggestions! It sounds to me like many of our PS think the same. Not really what you are putting on it, it's how you are caring for it. I definitely have to start moisturizing, I'm thinking Palmers Cocoa butter might be a good start! It's become really dry on the ends.
First off, your results are amazing! You look fantastic! Secondly, my ps hasn't said anything about scar care either. Though the tape he put on it right after surgery is what I'm to keep reapplying until 4 months. Not sure why, but okay. Though my scar looks pretty good and isn't raised at all and I'm 8 1/2 weeks po. Hoping it continues. I do put Palmers lotion for stretch marks on my tummy and breasts(I had BA too). Not sure if it's helping, but it feels good!
I read a review from someone who had to use that tape for several months also and their scar was a super thin line!

I'm trying to take my own advice and think...

I'm trying to take my own advice and think logically and realize that I'm only at Week 7 and I have at least a few more months until I see what's even close to final results. My skin used to be firm, and I couldn't even pinch a small part between my fingers. But I have a fat roll now that is freaking me out. I know I have swelling, especially toward the end of the day, but I now am able to grab a roll of fat and pinch it, where I couldn't do that before. My PS says I will be a lot smaller when all is said and done and I do believe him. But the illogical part of me thinks what if there's still more skin that needs to be taken off? If I'm able to pinch fat now, what's going to happen later when I'm smaller? Did anyone else experience a fat roll, and did it eventually go away and did your skin get more firm? Please look at my pics and tell me what you think :(

You look great, take baby steps.
Girl, my 7wk pic is almost identical to yours. I have the same roll. I know it is swelling but think just like you do that it is here to stay. I am almost never completely flat. I go for my 8 wk po appt Wednesday and will be asking about this as ithas me worried(for no reason I'm sure)
Looking good girl.

The Good.....I can't believe it's been only 8...

The Good.....I can't believe it's been only 8 weeks. Time is going by fast but it seems like such a long time since my surgery. I love myself in clothes! The other night I cleaned my closet and have 6 garbage bags full of clothes (mostly tops) that are too big. I can also complete full zumba workouts (with my binder on) and I know what it's like to feel "normal" again. The other night I went out to see a band with some friends and we were dancing and for the first time in a long time I didn't feel like anyone was staring at me because of my huge stomach. Not that they ever were, but it was good to know that they now don't have a reason to, if that makes any sense! My flat tummy makes me want to continue my weight loss journey and so I'm doing my best to stay active and eat right. The Bad....I haven't had a full uninterrupted night of sleep since before my surgery! I used to sleep like a rock. Now I'm up several times a night every time I turn over. I feel restless and sore in my MR and in my back from the lipo. I can't wait to not feel anymore pain! I also have a hard time finding jeans that fit right. If I can get them up my thighs and big booty then they are usually too big in the waist. I have a couple pair that are ok....stretch jeans are my new BFF. LOL The Ugly......I still have the ridge over my scar and I haven't seen a reduction in swelling at all. My PS said in my last visit that we may do in office lipo at a later date but it was too early to tell. If the ridge doesn't go away I will definitely get either lipo or a modified tummy tuck depending on what is needed. I want so much to be completely flat! I've dreamed about that for years and I think I deserve it :) I also noticed last night that I have some hard bumps under an area of my scar which I'm reading could be sutures. They are clumped in one area and they are ugly and I hope they go away! So my pics are front, side, underwear to show how low my scar is and then the ugly bumps. Happy healing! xo

Wow I just read your story and thank you for being so detailed about your journey to recovery. God bless and be strong and welcome to the flat side it will definitely all get better ,we just have to give our bodies patience and let us heal the right way.We feel because we spend so much money we want results right away ,but we have to remember that we have to heal and it takes time.Gw8772, relax and all will fall into place .Good night
You are doing well! I too have some of those issues,,,Dr. Will do more lipo in the office at a later date as well. It still feels surreal at times!
It's definitely surreal at times! Sometimes I can't get over how strong we all are to go through all this :)

I don't have any new pics because I haven't seen...

I don't have any new pics because I haven't seen much change but I did want to offer an update. I went to the PS earlier this week to have him check the bumps that appeared under my scar. Actually the two bumps stopped feeling tender and turned into more of a big lump. When I went to see the PS, he said it was fatty neucrosis. He said it would either go away or when I've reached one year PO he would remove it and it wouldn't be a big deal. So I'm thinking in February is when I will have touch up lipo if I need it and to have the fatty removed also. I still have pain in my tummy from the MR and my back from the lipo. It's nothing that isn't manageable but I was wondering how long I should expect it to persist? Happy healing everyone xo

Thank you so much! This site is so helpful to me during my decision process and journey that I only hope my details can help someone else. I agree about being patient, I tell myself that all the time! It's just a matter of listening to myself :)

This weekend, I felt sore in one area of my tummy....

This weekend, I felt sore in one area of my tummy. It felt like a pulled muscle although I didn't do anything that would have resulted in a pulled muscle. The only thing I could have done was (sorry if this is TMI) was strained during my BM since I was having that problem this weekend. It made me worry a little bit but I thought I would wait a week and see if it went away. Yesterday when I was at work, I got this strange prickling sensation, like someone was in my tummy sticking me with needles. It would happen every time I walked a few feet. After a couple of hours, I went in to the bathroom and looked at my stomach and saw that the area that was having the prickling sensation very noticeably less swollen than it had been the day before. I wonder if it's coincidence or is that area just going through some healing? Anyway other than that nothing much has happened. Things are going well. I've been lax on my Bio Oil treatments the past three days and I need to get back on that. I really want to start doing some minor weight lifting and a spin class but I don't want to do anything because of my large hernia repair. I have a follow up with my general surgeon on 4/29 and hopefully he clears me then. Happy healing everyone! xo

In the pic you posted, you can tell the swelling is down a lot on the left side. I think the prickling sensation is from nerves regenerating. That is a good thing!!! I'm sure you are biting at the bit for the 29th and hopefully being cleared to work out again. I hope your recovery continues on the positive path!
Thank you, I appreciate it! So far, so good....I really can't complain! I'll take the prickles if it means happy healing! :o)

I was PO 11 weeks yesterday and things are pretty...

I was PO 11 weeks yesterday and things are pretty much the same so I don't have a new pic. I do want to ask the "veterans" out there - did you have muscle repair (or a hernia repair) during your TT and if so was it still painful to you at 11 weeks? Whenever I sneeze or turn over in bed at night, I still get that painful feeling and now it's mostly in one general area. I am left wondering if that's my hernia repair. I have my follow-up appointment next week so I will ask but I'm just curious. My back and sides are still also very tender from the lipo. One of my friends came by and poked me in the side today and it hurt! I jumped and said "ouch, you poked me in my surgery" and that became the joke of the office for today. Haha. Anyway any insight if what I'm feeling is normal would be greatly appreciated! Happy healing xo

Very normal! I'm just over 13 weeks and it still hurts to sneeze or cough too hard. But not horrible. And it's right at the MR line. I had minor lipo under my arms and that is still sore too, mostly to the touch, like if someone poked me, but not just moving around anymore. I'm able to roll around in bed,(that sounds bad, I mean toss and turn!), and I can do it with relatively no pain, but I get a twinge every now and then. So, you are healing completely normally I would say! Make sure you write down your questions for your PS, I never do and I always forget because I always feel better the day I go see him! LOL!
LOL at rolling around in bed but I know exactly what you mean! I still hurt a little bit with that but not too bad. I will definitely ask my PS these things though I don't see him until June so I'm hoping it's resolved by then. Thank you for answering! :)

4 month update w/ pics

It's been 5 weeks since my last update...time sure does fly. I haven't really seen much change since last month although I just looked at the pics that I took and compared them to my 11 week pics and my tummy is slightly less swollen at the scar line. I'm not sure how much more changes I will see although my PS said last time I need to give it a year to see the full result. I haven't been using anything on my scar in the last month or so. My PS said that nothing really helps any better than time. I might start using the bio oil again although I didn't see any difference. But I don't want to have regrets later. I have a question for the "veterans"..... if you had MR in addition to your TT, is your stomach rock hard now? When standing, there's really only a little bit of skin to be grabbed and if I poke my tummy, it's rock hard all over. One would think I should have a six pack. LOL Is this just because my muscles were repaired or could it be layers of fat underneath? I had lipo in my tummy too so I'm hoping it's not fat.

Hi there with regards to the six pack that was something I asked my surgeon before hand. He said it would be under there but I would have to work at it to get it to show. So that is what I am doing..(0= Except I am working on my entire physique I haven't blogged in a while but will try to do so next week some time.
I'm a bit farther along then you are and I think you are feeling the muscle. I've been doing ab work and other strength training and find I can do things so much better then I could before surgery. The MR is amazing! Though no crunches since according to my surgeon, they separate the muscle and can hurt the repair, but leg lifts and pilates type moves are good. But that is my surgeon. I have a layer of "fat" or "swelling" over my tummy, I prefer to think it's swelling, but my eating hasn't been the greatest. Not really up in weight, so I think it may be swelling, I hope it is, but I still look 100 X's better then before, so I accept how I am! You are looking fantastic!
Albany Plastic Surgeon