Nose Long from Profile at 3 Weeks Post Op and Worried That It Wont Shrink or Get Smaller - New York

I had Rhinoplasty 3 and a half weeks ago and im...

I had Rhinoplasty 3 and a half weeks ago and im depressed as the profile looks really long and sticks out. I was hoping that the nose would get smaller as thats the reason i had the surgery as well as getting the bump removed on my nose.

My nose is shrinking alot from the front now but...

My nose is shrinking alot from the front now but still no progress from profile view. Im going to wait till 3 months till my next appoinment to discuss my concerns. Hopefully it is just swelling :)

It is my first rhinoplasty but I do have thick...

It is my first rhinoplasty but I do have thick skin. My Surgeon removed the bump and also did some tip work as well as decreasing the length from side view.

I'm sorry to hear that Taniadalia! Here's a link to our Rhinoplasty Revision community. Maybe it will give you some insights!

hi, the recovery is going okay and my nose is getting smaller from the profile. however, it is still long so i am going to ask my doctor next week whether it is swelling or not. I'll let you know what he says. I think i may have to get a revision next year if it does not get any smaller tho. :)
hi tania! how's the recovery going? did your nose "shrink" from the profile?

Did your doctor mention that the only way to make your nose shorter would be to rotate it? The doctor I'm seriously considering said that if he shaves down my hump, the nose will still appear long from the profile. The only way to make it shorter would be rotating it, albeit with more nostril show.

Did your doctor mentioned anything similar to this?
hey k77 :) of course ill check dem out :D n ill let u know if we are experiencing the same thing.
@ Taniadalia- Mine is still tingling and swollen at the tip. When I push on the sides I can feel small amounts of fluid that sometimes make noise. The skin on my tip also peels very easily and I can't see some of my pores that I could before, this is all due to swelling. And, I still have that dang hump on my bridge. I am going to post update pics on my profile in the next few days, check them out and let me know if you have the same thing, please.

@Angiemcc- I just watched your video and I love your nose! The bridge is perfect and I think it fits your face beautifully! I would love to see before pics of you since I can't imagine you with previously with something as big as you described.

I found one the other day. I'll try to remember to scan it and upload!

And keep in mind that you're your own worst critic.

lol true. my nose tingles alot so it must be a sign that it is still healing.
At nearly 6 weeks post op my nose still looks huge in pictures tho :(

It's called swell hell for a reason. :0)

Yay! I just read your update and am so happy to hear that. My husband tells me that mine is getting smaller everyday too! However, I still also have the bump on my bridge. I noticed that it goes away if I rub and push down on it for a minute or so. Thanks for the update!
thx k77 :) it is true that others notice the nose getting smaller more than we do ourselves. Swelling takes soo long tho lol
Taniadalia I was always worried about the exact same thing your going through. If you take down a bump douse your nose get longer? im not sure how it is but thats what i think happened's. Some people are not meant to have a straight nose but i dont know.whats your opinion?
your nose is not supposed to gt longer when a bump is removed, it is supposed to stay same size unless the surgeon had reduced the size. my worry is that it doesnt seem to get smaller and is the same size as pre op but my surgeon assured me that it would in the next few months. he said it was swelling.
hey madison, i actually had it done in greece because i have family who live there and i was referred to a great surgeon.
Tania, who was your surgeon?
I am going through the same thing right now. I had surgery on July 7th and the tip of my nose is still very bulbous. The area that the bump on my bridge was removed is still swollen too, it goes down everyday and I am hopeful. I am taking pictures every day and massaging it several times a day to improve it. Angiemcc is right, I guess we just have to be patient. My surgeon said that after 3 weeks most of the swelling is gone but it actually takes 18 months to see the final result. Keep us posted on how your doing, if you have any pictures I would love to see them. It sounds as if we have the same issue!
hey, i guess we have no choice but to be patient which is really hard for me lol :P

alot of my sweelin has gone down but apparently my surgeon sed it wud take 3 months for my nose to shrink which is such a looong time away. I will put some pictures up when my usb starts working again.

keep me posting about your nose cas we r in the same boat. :)

It's hard to imagine now, but try to be patient.

This RealSelf user had a hard time believing her swelling would subside, but it did and she's thrilled with her results now.

Keep us posted!

Do you have before and after photos you can post so we can visualize what you're describing?

Your nose is probably still quite swollen at this point, so do try to be patient and not judge your profile just yet (easier said than done, I know).

What do you think of your bump removal? Are you happy with that aspect of your surgery?

hey. yes my nose is now completely straight so the surgeon did a good job removing the bump and i am really happy with that. he said it would take 3 months for the swelling to go down on the side of my nose but im struggling to see how my nose size from the profile will decrease.