Time Will Tell ... - New York, NY

I had Ultherapy of the lower face and neck done...

I had Ultherapy of the lower face and neck done this past Friday, 5/10/2013. As I write this review on Sunday morning, 5/12/2013, I still have a good deal of swelling (I look like a chipmunk storing nuts!) , numbness and sensitivity around my jawline and neck.

The swelling is the big shocker as I was not told during my consultation that there would be any swelling, nevertheless the amount of swelling I have.

While it was suggested to me that I take a NyQuil PM 1-hour prior to the procedure, the amount of pain was greatly down-played during my consultation.

Before I get to ahead of myself, here are some further details:

- I'm 49 years old

- I work directly with a chemist who specializes in cosmetic chemistry and customizes all my skincare products. This individual pinpointed the Plastic Surgeons office he suggested I visit (he recommended that I make sure an Esthetician actually performs the procedure, and that was indeed the case).

- My chemist felt that Ultherapy was a great option for me as I'm just really beginning to see some sagging along my jaw line.

- When I went for my consult with the Esthetician, she was actually unavailable (out sick). I met with her assistant who herself has under-gone Ultherapy. I did feel like I got more of a sales pitch than a consult from her (she asked me what I wanted to focus on and before I could get a word out she said she'd suggest a full face procedure. My response was ... um, no). While I do feel the office should have called me to reschedule my consult, at the end of the day I was set to have this done and don't feel it would have made any difference if I had met with the Esthetician.

- 90 minutes before the procedure I took 800 mg of Motrin.

As I mentioned, I had the procedure done this past Friday. The office called me yesterday afternoon to check in (it was the receptionist who called). I told them I had a great deal of swelling and she said that's normal. When I asked how long the swelling would remain she said a day or two. Quite honestly, based on the amount of sensitivity I still have along my jaw line, I find it hard to believe that tomorrow I'll awake with no swelling, but we'll see. I'm somewhat surprised that at no time did anyone suggest I ice the area to help reduce swelling.

During the procedure:

Seriously, the Esthetician could not have been nicer. She utilizes various "tools" (e.g., a back heat/massage pad; stress balls) to try to distract you from the procedure itself. She gave me small breaks as needed.

The procedure had two phases. The first phase they go over the area using a very high laser level. During the second phase they go over the entire area again with a much lower laser level. The first phase hurt ALOT. The second phase was a breeze.

My Chemist made it clear to me that in order for the procedure to be effective, the laser has to be set at a pretty high level. I hate to say this but it's somewhat the no pain, no gain scenario. In order for the laser to get down to the layer it needs to impact, it has to be up there. Quite honestly, for the money I spent, I rather have the pain now than find myself out the money with no results later.

That's about it for now. I certainly haven't seen immediate results as other have claimed. If anything, due to the swelling, I look worse post-treatment. Obviously, I expect this to be temporary and I'm hopeful that I'll see the results I want in time for my 50th birthday!
Thanks for writing such a helpful review about the process so far. I'm looking forward to seeing how it works out for you. :) Do you plan to post pics?
I'm glad that you found my review helpful beautygrrl! Yes, I'll start posting some photos over the weekend. Most of the swelling has receded, so my face looks pretty much how it did prior to my Ultherapy appointment. I'll post monthly updates and hopefully by August there will be a noticeable difference :)

Did the swelling all go down? I've heard of people having a bit of swelling, but haven't heard of the amount you experienced, so please let us know how its going.

Before Photo

This photo was taken on 12/29/2012. I had Ultherapy done to my lower face (concentration around jaw line) on 3/10/2013.

1-Week Post Ultherapy

This photo was taken on 5/17/2013, 1-week after my Ultherapy. While I still have a good amount of tenderness and numbness around my jawline, all the swelling has receded.
I had my treatment a litlle less than 2 weeks ago. It was far far more painful than I was led to believe despite 4 Advil and .5 mg Xanax 30 minutes prior to starting the procedure. I have a high tolerance for pain but I actually had tears and had to do deep breathing through the first part. I had only a small bruised area under the chin. I had a big swelling under the chin. I felt like I had a kangaroo pouch. I may have been a little puffy in some areas but not too bad. At this time I have a little swelling left from the kangaroo pouch and can not see any improvement in my face and neck. I too felt a sales pitch approach to the treatment. I would not recommend this to anyone without more assistance killing the pain. All the paperwork I had to sign when I arrived for the treatment protected the doctor and the facility. There was no protection for the patient. They have yet to call me to see how I am. I am deeply disappointed by that since the place has a reliable reputation as well as being expensive. Not sure yet whether I think it is worth all that goes with this. Giving it some time. Good luck to others. It sounds like a great concept.
Hopeful, I hope that the remainder of your swelling has started to resolve itself! Tomorrow will be 2-weeks for me, and while I'm still tender to the touch along my jaw line, all my swelling is gone. I may even be seeing a little improvement, although it's very difficult to quantify that at this point. With that said, I do feel a little less "jowly". In regards to "patient protection", if you go anywhere for any type of procedure, you have to sign the same paperwork. I really don't take issue with that personally. As with any elective procedure, you need to assume some level of risk. I too would have appreciated a little additional follow-up from the Esthetician. The office phoned me the day following my Ultherapy appointment, and they sent me 1 email as a follow-up to my inquiry in regards to the swelling. Additional follow-up by the Esthetician's office this week would have been nice. At the end of the day, I still think it will take 2 - 3 months to formulate a final opinion as to whether or not the Ultherapy worked for me. Stay tuned.
I also take Juice Plus supplement which is fruits and veggies in pill form. I also have a vitamix and have been making my 'green' shakes daily - spinach, kale and fruits - so I firmly believe this is helping my healing process.

5 23 2013_13-days post Ultherapy

All the swelling I had post-Ultherapy has resolved itself. Still a little tender around my jawline, but feeling MUCH less sore.

Seeing some minor lift along the jowl area (at least I think I am!), which was really totally unexpected this early post-procedure.
Susan I can absolutely see a difference in the chin/jaw area! Keep us posted!
Thanks so much for the positive feedback Jackie! I'll be posting my 3-week update photo tomorrow :) I try very hard not to focus on simply one area of my face. At the end of the day, no one looking at you is just focusing in on what we consider to be our "problem" areas. As such, I'm posting a retrospective of me thru the years, from age 17 - 49. My picture selection was limited to what I had readily available and online already. Basically, I think it shows how my jawline has 'squared off' over the years. I see this change most noticeably from the age of 45 onwards.
I was just asking because no matter what I was going to do it anyway. I hate seeing my neck and the jawline in the mirror for years. So if it helps and it's more than half the cost then a mini face lift I might as well give it a shot. Thanks for replying

Retrospective - Age 17 - 49

Well, posting the photos here didn't work very well, so here's a link to where you can actually see them larger than a thumbnail - http://s271.photobucket.com/user/susannyny/media/ME_zpsbced3cc6.jpg.html

Through The Year: Age 17 - 49

At the end of the day, I realize that no one looking at me is just focusing in on what I consider to be my "problem" areas.

While overall I'm pretty happy with the way I look, I really started noticing a squaring off of my jaw line around the age of 45. This is what I consider to be my "problem" area and I think it's pretty noticeable in these photos - http://s271.photobucket.com/user/susannyny/media/ME_zpsbced3cc6.jpg.html

I wanted to post this progression of how I've aged because I feel just posting close-ups of my jawline are not a true indication of how I look. I look at those close-ups and I'm like, YIKES! :)

With that said, for comparative purposes, I will continue to post a weekly close-up. At the end of 3 months I'll also post an updated full face photo.

5 31 2013_21-days post Ultherapy

Posting my weekly update photo. Had my Ultherapy done 3-weeks ago. Feel that I'm seeing some positive changes. My expectations remain that most of the upside is still a good month or two away.
Thinking about having Ultatherapy. Am 46 and just beginning to see some sagging...had Juvederm yesterday to fill things out...so thankful for your posts...still doing my research!
I am considering exiles for my neck but now I am thinking maybe ultra therapy ... I have an appointment next week. I don't know what to do!
DON'T EXPECT RESULTS, IT IS A TOTAL RIPP OFF, YOUR DOC OR WHOEVER DID IT IS JUST MAKING MONEY OFF OF INNOCENT PEOPLE WHO DO NOT KNOW ANY BETTER, HAD IT DONE. TRUST ME IT DOES NOT DO ANYTHING!!!!!!!!!!

1-Month Post Ultherapy

Photo taken 6/7/2013, exactly 1-month since my lower face Ultherapy.

1-Month Post Ultherapy

Photo taken 6/7/2013, exactly 1-month since my lower face Ultherapy.
No discernible, additional change from last week. Seems status quo for now.
I had it done. I did not think I was seeing any improvement, but as a couple of months went by people stated telling that I looked pretty or making similar nice comments. PS took photos every month. After 6 months he showed me all the photos and by 6 months I looked a whole lot better. I am 58. It takes time at this age. It is not similar to a facelift. It is subtle. If you can afford it and don't want a facelift, I say go for it.
lindalocket, thanks for your comment. It's so helpful to those of us who are still in the 'waiting' stages. I'm 56 and just had mine done 2 weeks ago today. I'm pretty impatient, but I have to say, every time I hear someone say it takes time but they saw results....it makes it that much easier to wait! =)
Thanks for posting Susan! I know everyone appreciates your consistency. You still look great. I had mine almost 2 weeks ago. I'm hoping to see some improvements at the one month mark, maybe even at the 3 week mark like you did. Continued good luck with your progress and keep posting those beautiful photos! =)

5-Weeks Post Ultherapy

I've decided to take a week or 2 off from posting a photo. I will definitely post another prior to the end of June. The change has been so gradual, I want to see how noticeable they are using a longer time-span.
Janiedoey, I'm sorry you had such a poor experience. While I cannot control what others post on my review, I believe the review itself was quite descriptive and far from saying that the procedure is "perfect". I've also tried to expand upon the initial review in my postings (again, the only thing I have control of on my wall). Clearly, NO PROCEDURE comes with a guarantee. If you read various reviews there will be procedures-gone-wrong comments pretty much everywhere. The same can certainly be said for people who under-go actual face lifts at a much higher cost than what one pays for Ultherapy. Some of the face lift stories are true horror stories. Again, there are just no guarantees. I have read your review and as others have commented, if you were only given 10 lines of treatment it indeed seems like there was a problem with where you had your treatment done. Even if they gave you 52 lines per their response to you, that still seems very, very low. I had my lower face and neck done and the procedure took 75 minutes.
Your comment on my comments are really not worth reading because I tried but they don't make sense and very pompous. Of course it was a problem with the place and the overchargement and the little area they did???? Huh? I have read other reviews and there are plenty of unhappy customers with Ultherapy. I wouldn't waste my time to warn people if I didnt feel quite strongly about this. Do not go to NSL Clinic to get any treatments done. Do face exercises - I cannot see any change at all in this Susan's face can you/?
While I'm sorry that you feel my response to your posting is pompous, I'm more sorry for you that you seem so bitter. Hope you find peace of mind. Best of luck to you.

7-Weeks Post Ultherapy - Photo Update

It's been 3-weeks since I've posted an updated photo.
I will say that while the photos are helpful, they also can vary greatly based on lighting and slight angle changes. Obviously, these are not professional photos :)

Over the last 3 weeks its been difficult for me to assess whether or not there's been continued improvement. I'm actually hopeful that the office where I had the procedure done will be calling me in soon for my post-Ultherapy photos. I'd be very curious to see the changes from the Esthetician's perspective.

Likewise, in another month I'll be seeing my skin-care chemist. I'm very interested in hearing his impression as well.

06 28 2013_7 Weeks Post Ultherapy Photo

I had Ultherapy two weeks ago and curious how you're feeling about the procedure more than a year later.
Overall, I suppose I don't think about it much one way or another. I saw some positive results, but it was ultimately difficult to gauge just how much. I went into it knowing that it is not a long term solution. Right now, it is not something I would rush out to do again. With that said, I have no regrets. I hope it works well for you!!!
Well, I can definitely see an improvement in your photos...your jowls significantly less visible!