Rhino/Septo

I'm 29 and I broke my nose when I was 12. Ever...

I'm 29 and I broke my nose when I was 12. Ever since then, I wanted it fixed. The CT Scan showed that I have septal deviation as well as hypertrophy of the inferior turbinates. I'm having rhinoplasty as well as septoplasty done.

I've never had surgery so I'm terrified about that in general. I'm also not sure exactly how I want my nose to look. How do you decide? I want it to look as natural as possible. I still want to look like me. My doctor morphed my photos in 2 different ways; one is more aggressive than the other. I welcome all comments, suggestions and advice

Having trouble adding more pictures..it's not letting me add more than 4. So below is what I can add for now.

I agree. I would go with the 1st picture. The send picture looks too scooped out and the nose is a little more "upturned". You don't want to look like miss piggy in the end!! Good Luck!! :)
Both look good! Totally your choice, good luck and keep us posted!
In my opinion the first picture (less agressive) looks like a more natural change from your original nose than the second. However you must decide which YOU like best and what you're comfortable with. They both look really good though, whichever you pick, so goodluck!

I decided on the first set of photos that the...

I decided on the first set of photos that the doctor sent me (revision 1). It's more natural and not as aggressive. I added more pics showing of my before and after with revision 1. Now, I'm just waiting to find out how much it will cost. Insurance will supposedly cover the septoplasty only. My deductible is $1,500.
1 st picture looks best with your face shape, it is much better than rev 2 which looks too overdone
i agree to go with the 1st picture. best to go with the the best version of the nose you were born with. good luck!
I like Revision 1!! BEst of Luck :):)

I got my final quote back including what insurance...

I got my final quote back including what insurance will cover (not much). I added my doctor's name and rated him average so far. I will rate him for real after the surgery. I haven't found any reviews on him. He is not a rhino specialist, but his credentials are very good and he comes recommended (for other procedures). I'm having my surgery in Pennsylvania because it is cheaper. I'm will probably set my appointment for the end of September. Also, I am TERRIFIED. I need to set the appointment soon because I'm afraid I'm going to chicken out.

Below are a few tips that I have learned from my doctor. Please help me add to my lists!

Things to get:
Thin rubber gloves and peas/corn for icing
Neck pillow
Arnica pills and gel (I don't plan on going crazy with the gel as it does have a drying effect)
Tylenol Extra Strength for pain after the hard stuff (No ibuprofen)
Bromelain supplement and pineapple/pineapple juice
Saline spray

Things to avoid:
I will try to avoid taking ibuprofen for at least 2 weeks prior to surgery
Try to avoid salty foods the week before surgery
No straws
No glasses for 6 weeks
I don't think I can play soccer for at least 3 months. I'm going to be very nervous about playing again, as I have been hit with the ball twice in the nose in the past few months.
Revision 1 for sure! Rev 2 looks like a nose job.
Hi - i would get some gauze pads and medical tape - my boyfriend had to run out to get me that because i had to change the drip pad a lot unless its provided by your office. also add maybe some movies or books/magazines to your list?
i like the less aggressive version as well. you still look the same but with a perfect nose, there's no reason to get the aggressive version in my opinion.

I've been hoping to schedule my appointment soon,...

I've been hoping to schedule my appointment soon, but before I rush into it, I wanted to make sure that the estimate the dr. gave me was correct according to what my insurance will cover. Has anyone had any luck getting insurance to cover a rhinoplasty if they were injured in the past? Mine will only cover septoplasty except for a few certain circumstances that need to be documented by an ENT.

I'm also interested in pursuing other doctors because the office has not been returning my last few emails regarding pictures of the doctors work and clearing up a discrepancy with my deductible. I'm going to look into going to an ENT, if anyone has any recommendations in the NYC/NJ or even Eastern PA area, let me know.
I like them both, but I would want to know how much nostril would show from the front before I would make a final decision. Since 1 looks great, 2 may or may not be worth it. Either way, you will look fabulous, I'm sure, because your bone structure and other features are already beautiful. Best of luck to you in your process.

I decided to check out where I live in NYC. Any...

I decided to check out where I live in NYC. Any personal recommendations appreciated!
Definetly try and find a doc who specializes in Rhinoplasty and has a passion for it. It's your face and you want the best to be working on it!
Hey, not sure if you picked a doctor yet but I would recommend consulting with two doctors in the North Jersey area... Dr. Paul Parker in Paramus, or Dr. Eric Joseph in West Orange. Good luck!

Anyone know of Dr. Guy Lin? I'm going for a...

Anyone know of Dr. Guy Lin? I'm going for a consult. I'm hoping to find a doctor soon because these consultation fees are quite pricey.
Is that a shiba-inu youre holding? I have one too they are soo cute! The two pix the doctor sent are not showing on my phone so I cant give my opinion but good luck on your search for a surgeon!
Yes- Shiba Inu. My bf's dog. She is so cute. I took the pics down since I'll probably end up with another doctor. I have an appointment on Monday.

I had my consultation with Dr. Guy Lin today. The...

I had my consultation with Dr. Guy Lin today. The consultation was $200 + $20 copayment. It went pretty well and he was very thorough. He did do me the favor of pointing out all of my asymmetries. I guess that was done to point out that fixing my nose will not make me perfect. That is not what I'm expecting.

I'm waiting for an estimate, but I know that the rhino will be $7,000. The estimate I got from a doctor in NJ/PA was $5,800 for both rhino and septo. I definitely feel more comfortable with an ENT/rhino specialist than just a plastic surgeon. However, I may need to push the surgery back to save more money. I'm apprehensive about surgery, but it's something that I really want. I have wanted it for so long. I really just want to pull the trigger and get it over with already.

If anyone has any info on costs in NYC or this doctor, please share!
Wow, that is crazy the insurance won't cover more of the procedure. It sounds like you have some issues with your nose that seem like would be covered more. I'm not from the area you live so I can't give you much advice about that, I'm sorry, though the surgeon I saw spent a lot of time in New York. But I agree that finding a good ENT doctor that also makes noses pretty is a good plan! Like you said, the cost is deterring, but it will probably be worth it. The surgeon who fixed my nose fixed my breathing and basically fixed a big part of my life by repairing both the external and internal. He is experienced with both ENT and plastic surgery and felt comfortable with that. I think that general plastic surgeons can do a great job fixing both external and internal nose stuff, but I searched for someone who focused specifically on facial plastic surgery and an ENT background. I could just go on and on about my amazing breathing. It's life changing!
I know exactly how you felt!! This was my first surgery, I was terrified. Especially since I was going to have general anthenestsia. I'm 4 days post op & I didn't have any trouble at all. I woke up fine. No dizziness, nausea, headache or anything at all. It wasn't bad at all. I also had trouble finding a doctor that I liked & felt comfortable with. When you see a few diff. Doctors & they all wanna do something diff. To your nose it's so hard to make a decision! Everyone says the doctor knows best, but when they all wanna do something diff. It's hard to know what's best, after all it's their speciality not ours right? Keep your head up pretty girl you'll find one & when you do you'll know right away :) when I found mine he was also an ENT so that was a big part of why I chose him. You may wanna try Dr. C in white plains. He has some great reviews & everyone is going to him these days. I haven't seen any complaints yet so the man knows his noses :) his prices aren't bad either! He usually gets patients in for a consult with in 2 weeks & can schedule the surgery shortly afterwards. Don't worry girl everything will fall into place :)
Well done on doing your research and staying focused. All the best making a decision and saving the cash....you will get there!

Thanks for all the comments. This process is very...

Thanks for all the comments. This process is very daunting. Once you find a doctor, how can you decide on how you want your nose to look. It's such a huge deal. I have 2 morphs from 2 doctors. I'm not sure about either of them. I definitely want a natural nose. I guess I will discuss more with the doctor of course, but all comments appreciated. I have added the morph from the first doctor.
Who did you end up choosing? I am close to choosing Dr. Guy Lin but getting cold feet and feeling very nervous.
I'm going through that right now too. Trying to decide what I would like my nose to actually look like! I like the second one you put up better. But what matters most is what you like.
Yeah- insurance will only cover the septo. I really cannot wait to breathe better either. I have trouble sleeping because of it.