20 months post op!

I've wanted rhinoplasty ever since I was 12! I...

I've wanted rhinoplasty ever since I was 12! I know I'm not unattractive, but I just can't seem to look past my nose!!

Don't get me wrong, there are things I like about it (i.e. the tip from the front for instance) However, it always makes me look atrocious in pictures, unless my face is at a particular angle. Sounds ridiculous but because I look so bad in pictures (unless they are super posed) I don't actually know what I look like - the person in the mirror or the photos.

Anyway, I can't wait to finally shed the insecurity that is my nose, it will be such a relief and I know I will be even happier than I am now (I'm pretty happy with everything generally).

I'm aiming to have my asymmetrical nasal bumps on either side of my nose shaved and nose shortened just slightly so it doesn't droop when I smile. I'm looking for a subtle and natural change, nothing drastic!! When the Dr. showed me my 'potential' nose from the side (via imaging) I felt so excited at the possibility!

I have gone through a roller coaster of emotions from extreme nerves to excitement and back to nerves again (I'm currently at excitement, hence the post!) and I'm still over a month away...I can't imagine how I'm going to be as I approach the date itself...

I'm finally booked for early January, I have another consultation scheduled for December the 6th, not quite sure what to expect, although I have lots of questions. I want to know more about the anesthesia used, what exactly will be done (again), recovery time, I live up 5 flights of stairs with no lift - will I be able to get up post rhinoplasty???

I've very much enjoyed reading other peoples experiences. I guess in a way it normalised rhinoplasty for me, it made it feel less extreme and more of a realistic solution. Helping make me less nervous about everything, so many other people out there have gone for it, why not me!

Why not you, indeed! Glad you're going for it. We'd love to see your before and after photos...you can even blur out your eyes if that makes you more comfortable.

Thanks for starting your story on RealSelf!

I'd be happy to share these,

Not long to go now - I had my pre-op meeting last...

Not long to go now - I had my pre-op meeting last week. I have to see a GP in the next week or so and get some blood work done, I also have a number of prescriptions to pick up from the pharmacy for medications I need to take before and after the surgery.

Whilst waiting to see the doctor I was overcome by sudden nerves, I thought I might cry for a second, guess I'm just a nervous person. It doesn't surprise me really, I get nervous going to the dentist.

I didn't have long with my doctor but he was able to answer all my questions, when I was talking to the nurse he came in and asked me to see the nose of one of his other patients - she had recently had a revision done with him and it looked amazing and so, so natural. This made me feel so much better and excited!

I'm excited now, I just can't wait for the day to come so I can finally have my nose fixed!! It will make a big difference to my confidence and self perception...

Can't sleep tonight as I'm thinking about...

Can't sleep tonight as I'm thinking about everything! I'm not nervous about what will be done to my nose - I have absolute trust in my surgeon and I know he will do a good job. I'm mostly nervous about the general anaesthesia and not waking up...what if i'm allergic to it? what if I get a blood clot? what if I can't breath? I have to push these sort of thoughts out of head! Wish I was completely ignorant of all the potential (and rare) medical risks...
OH, and my doctor is using general anesthesia too which also makes me super nervous to think about! but I try to think that he's been doing this for over 20 years and that he knows what he's doing. I'm just trying not to think of the risks and just think of the good things that are going to come :)
My surgery date is a day before yours, but my post op isn't til the 27th of this month. I wonder why they gave it to me so close to the surgery date..hmmm. but anyways I know how it is about wanting nose surgery at a young age! I probably started disliking my nose around 11 or 12 as well.. that's when it started growing out of proportion to the rest of my face and I started getting picked on. Wow 5 flights of stairs is a lot! I probably would try and get everything I need before the surgery and not go anywhere for a couple days and try to have someone around to run errands for you if you need it.You're really pretty and I can't wait to see your after pics.
Thank you! Sounds like we're going to be going through the same thing at about the same time! I'm definitely going to stockpile food and get a load of films/tv shows to watch that week... hopefully my boyfriend won't mind running around for me (just a little!)... Looking forward to seeing your after pics too! Good luck :-)

This morning I went to a doctor to have my blood...

This morning I went to a doctor to have my blood work done! Not only was it quick and painless (I hate needles) I also got a good dose of exactly what I needed - positivity. I've been going through a stage of questioning myself, I keep asking myself 'am I doing the right thing?' I find myself reading into little things that happen thinking 'maybe that was a sign I shouldn't do this!'. But seeing this doctor put my mind at ease right away.

He told me that my doctor does very natural noses and that I would have a beautiful result. He said that 'he doesn't do any of those over the top Hollywood noses'!

He asked who I had told and I said no one (not even my mother!) and that only my boyfriend knows! then he said 'great - you shouldn't tell your mother! - you know why?' because next time you see her, she may not even know what's different, she'll just think you look great. In fact, most people probably won't notice and that's the sign of a good rhinoplasty!

Oh I hope so much that the he is right (that's my aim!) Just speaking with the doctor has filled me with loads of excitement again. I can't wait!

Who is your doctor? I'm looking for one in NY. Can't wait to see how it looks! Please update us. PS. You remind me of Meghan Asha.
Don't do it. Your nose and face are so elegant and unique. Don't take any risk!
Thanks for sharing! Keep us posted

It's officially 3 days before my surgery now! I...

It's officially 3 days before my surgery now! I had to apply Bactroban ointment to the inside of my nose this morning ( apparently this keeps the skin moisturised and elastic :-)

I've been taking 1000mg of vitamin C twice daily for the last week and a half - I guess it's intended as a booster for the immune system. Can't believe my surgery day is coming up so soon, I'm really looking forward to a) having my new nose b) getting this out of the way so that I don't need to keep obsessing about noses (which I have been since November!)

The strange thing is I'm not anxious or worried at all as I approach the date. I'm getting closer and closer to the day of the surgery and now that I'm this close, I just feel like closing my eyes and plodding on until it's done. I know there is no turning back now - If I did I know that I would regret it big time (and it would always play on my mind)

I don't hate my nose, but it is a barrier to feeling as confident as I could be, and since I can remove that barrier why not? I was bullied at school and that had an impact on my self confidence overall - I think the insecurity must reside deep inside somewhere! I definitely grew into my nose, but I'm so happy I can make this pro-active choice.

No turning back now!
I think you have striking facial features! The only angle that you can notice your nose was the 3/4 angle, otherwise even your profile is barely noticeable. I'm like you, I dont hate my nose but I think about it way too much and I know I can be much more confident (with the right results). All you need is a very subtle change, good luck, I'm sure youre going to look great!
Wow it is nearly time for you! You have gorgeous facial features and will look stunning with some tweaking of your nose. All the best preparing, and I look forward to following your progress :)
SO close! I'm excited for you. You are going to look amazing! :)

It's the day before the big day!! I can't quite...

It's the day before the big day!! I can't quite believe I'm doing this. I'm a strange mix of being nervous and excited, I think that by tomorrow when I'm at the door of the surgery I'm pretty sure I will be shaking with nerves!

Today the anaesthetist who will be administrating my general anaesthesia called me, he was so wonderful to talk to and was able to put me at right at ease. When I voiced my fears of being allergic to anaesthesia, he said that the has been doing this since the day I was born and has never yet seen an allergic response to anaesthesia (it is very rare). I also mentioned that I was worried about waking up during the process and he said that he will be monitoring everything the whole time ('like flying a plane'). He told me that he will start by inserting an intravenous into my arm, then when I'm asleep the doctor will numb my nose and start work on giving me a beautiful nose 'no less'.

Conversations like these temporarily diminish my nerves and make me excited again!

Later on the nurse called and gave me instructions for the big day - no makeup, no lotions/moisturiser, comfortable shoes, no vitamin C or Bactroban ointment in my nose tomorrow morning and no eating or drinking after midnight tonight (ahhh - I can't believe I'm so close!!!)

I'm off to the supermarket this evening to pick up a weeks worth of food (lots of veggies so I can blend some soups). I'm also going to review my checklist of things and make sure I have it all.

Finally on 'the nose' - I have been wondering about how my surgeon is going to give me a symmetrical nose from the front, because the bumps at the front are pretty asymmetrical! It's going to have to be some very careful filing...

Thank you everyone who has posted for all the kind words :-) It's nice to not feel alone in this process, and that there are many others on the same journey!

I guess my next post will be on the 'other side', probably looking awful and bruised - I will post pics if I'm not too awful! :-)
Good luck tomorrow! So nice the anesthesiologist & nurse called you today... that must help to put you at ease! Looking forward to hearing how it goes = fingers crossed!
Good luck!! Just think at this time tomorrow you'll be home resting with your new nose ;)
I cant believe our big day is tomorrow!!! see ya on the other side ;)

This morning I went to the surgeons office, I was...

This morning I went to the surgeons office, I was soooo nervous! I had a bit of time with the nurse, anaesthetist and surgeon before the operation (in fact he went over his plan with me). He was doing another another rhinoplasty when I first arrived, it must be a long hard day at work (I was the last one of the day).

I was given a pink pill and white pill to take as I was so nervous, I'm assuming that this was to bring down my heart rate!!

Then I went into the room and the anaesthetist inserted the intravenous into my arm, I was squeezing the nurses arm the whole time for comfort (she was a wonderfully comforting presence) I remember saying a few things and suddenly I woke up and the nurse was looking over me saying it was all done. Straight after the surgery my nose felt very cold, they had me lying comfortable with a heated blanket but the nose still felt uncomfortable. However, just a few hours later and it is much much better! I can't believe how little pain surgery is...I'm also not too bruised at the moment either.

The doctor came in after the surgery and told me it had gone really well, he mentioned that I had a really deviated septum (much more so than originally thought I guess), but that he had fixed that now.

My boyfriend said that whilst he was in the waiting room, after my surgery had finished and that one girl had just had her cast off and was 'very happy' with the result - he didn't get a chance to see as she was speaking with the receptionist, but she was certainly a happy lady!

Anyway, glad it's all done and dusted now. Super excited to see the result - cast is off on Thursday!!!

I'm a little worried about having too much nostril on show as the surgeon lifted my columnella however, he said that it may seem like that now because of the swelling but that when this subsides it will be fine! Also, at the moment my cast from the front is not quite symmetrical however, I'm guessing that's the swelling (fingers crossed)

Oops I just pressed 'thank you' on my own post...

Oops I just pressed 'thank you' on my own post there! I just wanted to say thanks to everyone for all the well wishes!
Congratulations on making it to the other side of your surgery. It is all downhill from now on!! Take care & I look forward to your progress :)
which dr did u see?
Will pm you his details!

Day 2 has started off ok, although I didn't sleep...

Day 2 has started off ok, although I didn't sleep well last night (I like to sleep curled up on my side so sleeping slightly elevated on my back is quite far from my preferential position!)

I've started taking various medications prescribed by the doc. I've also changed my gauze, cleaned the entrance to my nose with qtips soaked in hydrogen peroxide and applied Bactroban ointment again with qtips (just to entrance of the nose). I have super dry lips so am constantly applying vaseline. I haven't needed to take any pain meds yet (yay!). I will post up my day 2 pic later today.

Thinking back to yesterday day and the surgery, If I could make one recommendation over what to bring with you based on my experience I would say throat lozenges! I had a pretty sore throat waking up from surgery, and it was the first thing I asked for! (unfortunately the practice didn't have any)

Right, back to icing my face and watching Homeland!
You are recovering really well, lol! Congrats on your surgery. You looked good before, but now you look even better. Definite stunner.
looking good already :) ... at first i thought you should not risk your beautiful face, but now you look even prettier ...
Wow, u know you're beautiful when you loo good with a cast on! You are going to be stunning!!! Can't wait to see pics!

Day 3 I'm definitely feeling swollen today,...

Day 3

I'm definitely feeling swollen today, my face feels very tender (icing has helped somewhat) Last night and this morning, I have been feeling pulsing/throbbing under my cast (pretty un-comfy)

This morning/last night I was starting to breath through my nose a little bit, although as my breathing came back I also sneezed (managed to sneeze through my mouth as recommended) I also accidentally breathed in a little too hard when drifting to sleep so nose now it all feels a bit sore inside my nose. In fact I've been doing my very best to have no expressions (I can't watch funny things on TV as then I laugh and it is sore), even lifting my eyebrows pulls at my nose :-(

Serious TV only!

Day 3 I'm definitely feeling swollen today,...

Day 3

Serious TV only!
Your profile looks amazing even with cast on! Thanks for sharing your progress... I'm pretty much glued to this site until my surgery ;)
Thank you - I can't wait to get the cast off! I'm absolutely addicted to this site too at the moment. It definitely helps to follow the stories of everyone going through this same experience (at the same time too!!) Not long for you now either :-)
hey, Looking good so far! Yeah, my nose was very sore at first too, but feels much better now that the packing is out. I haven't really been able to watch much tv because I've been mostly sleeping! Happy healing. Hope to keep reading updates.

Day 4 The best day so far - I think I'm on...

Day 4

The best day so far - I think I'm on the mend! The bruising has extended a little way down my cheek, it's turning yellow which I think is the stage before it goes away (since I have a yellowish skin-tone it's not too noticeable!!)

I can breath-ish through my nose, but the air feels cold (guess my nasal passages are a bit sensitive!) so am sticking to breathing through my mouth. I also finally slept brilliantly last night. On the negative side, my skin is looking so oily...I tend to have combination skin, but at the moment I am so ridiculously shiny. I'm using gentle cleansing wipes to clean my face each day, I've been reading that it's the bodies reaction to swelling on the face.

Anyhoo - I'm very excited to see my nose - 4 days to go!
Thanks so much for sharing your experience, its definitely helped me a lot feel more comfortable with my decision to have rhinoplasty. Would you mind letting me know what surgeon you went to in NYC?
I had no bruising either and I started putting a bowl with water in the fridge with a clean rag and then when it gets cold enough I placed it on my face and it made the start of the bruising go away fairly fast, so maybe that would work for you. The only part of my face that's REAL oily is my nose, not sure what to do about it.. gonna ask my doc when I see him tomorrow. :)
Definitely better today! I've been packing medical gloves with ice (which when it melts slightly becomes perfect for icing)! Are you getting your cast off tomorrow?

The last few days have been good. I've been...

The last few days have been good. I've been feeling myself again and not plodding around the house super slowly! I can move my face again without feeling sore (although, I'm careful not to as I don't want to upset my nose :s )

Tomorrow is the day I get my cast off - I'm excited and also a little nervous. I've realised that when it comes to rhinoplasty the whole experience has continually been littered with opposing feelings, namely excitement and nerves (what a combination!)

Will update tomorrow.
Excited to see your afters! :)
Your pictures make recovery look so easy, barely any bruising or swelling- you still look beautiful! Cant wait to get my splint off tomorrow too! I want to see it AND I cant wait to properly wash my face!
Interesting comment. I think Dr. Rizk does really natural-looking work.

So I had my cast off and I LOVE my new nose...

So I had my cast off and I LOVE my new nose already! It was pretty unpleasant/uncomfortable having the cast removed, afterwards they cleaned glue etc out my nose and now I can breath fully. It's amazing! My breathing definitely feels so much clearer than before surgery, I feel like I get more air.

It's still swollen and my nostrils look a little uneven, I'm not sure if it's swelling or because I had uneven nostrils before surgery and didn't notice, I guess I will need to wait and see. Also my right side isn't as as 'defined' as my left side so I'm hoping that's swelling (although even before surgery my right side was not as defined... so not really sure)

Irrelevant of this I love my new nose, even with the irregularities it's a million times better than my old nose so I can't complain. My surgeon is amazing - he managed to give me a straight bridge (I really did not think this was possible). I will upload pics later!

I can't wait to see how my nose develops over the coming weeks/months.

(For everyone who asked my surgeon is Dr Rizk)
You look so pretty!!!! Can't wait to see more pictures as time passes :)
Oh my gosh, your new nose is SO beautiful! And I agree with Rayah7, you're naturally beautiful, lucky girl! haha Your review and photos are very encouraging for me because I am getting rhinoplasty next month and I have a droopy tip and I've been freaking out about how much my face will change when they elevate and upturn the tip. I'm freaked out that I'll be ugly, but seeing photos like yours (in which you look stunning and your new nose suits you so much) make me very excited! I can't wait to see more pictures as you continue to see changes :)
You look amazing! You don't even need makeup ! Haha you're naturally gorgeous . ;) so happy you love it.

Thanks for all the kind words/support. Here's a...

Thanks for all the kind words/support. Here's a little update -

At the moment my nose appears a little 'twisted' to the right, so I'm looking much less symmetrical from the front. This is accentuated by the fact that one nostril is a little higher than the other! I've been reading everywhere (partly to reassure myself) that this is due to swelling and you have to wait. Having said this, even with this swelling (hopefully, that's what it is!) I still prefer my nose now.

I can't wait for this swelling to subside, my nose is a little different everyday at the moment. I'm taping my nose each night and removing the tape in the shower in the morning (it's the best way, as it comes right off without sticking and pulling the skin)

I'm starting to realise that the healing from rhinoplasty takes time and I'm going to have to be patient. My skin has suffered a little since the rhinoplasty, it's sort of dry and peeling under my eyes and on my nose which makes it a nightmare applying concealer (which I need big time!). My nose is also incredibly oily, but my skin care regime is slowly fixing that (I also bought a good eye cream which should help with my concealer problem)

I wish this healing period to pass so that I can start enjoying my new nose. I have a wedding to go to in a month so I hope my nose is looking better! by then.

Apologies for the poor punctuation!

Apologies for the poor punctuation!
I am in the same stage as you. My skin is so dry and flaky. No matter what I do it looks like it is peeling. I wonder how long until it gets back to normal. Good luck to you!
Youre nose looks amazing even though its meant to be super swollen at the moment, remember can only get better from here! Will definitely be much less swollen in a month :))
I think your nose will look better in a month, as you wish for. I am exactly one month today, and just this week I feel like all my uneven swelling and bumpy bits are disappearing. Hang in there!

My nose swelling is slowly subsiding, I notice...

My nose swelling is slowly subsiding, I notice little differences each day... It definitely looked straight again last night (phew!) I still have the 'ghost' of a bump on one side of my nose - although I've read that this is swelling from the hump removal (fingers crossed). So for now it's just the waiting game!

I'm still so happy with my new nose - it's such an improvement. My boyfriend says that he doesn't think I needed it, but he can tell it looks better now, so I think that's definitely a success!

What a pity you don't share with this supportive community your results. :(
You look fantastic. Can you please post updated pictures from the recent days? I would love to see how Dr. Rizk's work does in terms of swelling once the cast is off. Also can't wait to see your new profile. You are a stunning girl to begin with, and I am sure the new nose only adds to the splendor.
Agreed with 10V3, I'm so excited for you, I want to see new pics! hahaha

I had a 5 month post op catch up today. The Dr...

I had a 5 month post op catch up today. The Dr said there was still swelling which would take about a year to subside, he pushed down on my nose and said he expects some of the swelling to go down another 1-2mm. Here's hoping!

I'm very happy with the results, which I think are subtle and natural. However, I'm less happy with my one side which you can see has a much larger bump than the other! (fingers crossed it's swelling and will go down). I've attached some photos I took today, holding my 'before' pics! :-)
Hi! :) Can you share pics of your nose now? So we can see updates? Thanks!
Hey! I had surgery with Dr. Rizk over 9 months ago and I have the same problem with a prominent bump on one side of my nose and smooth bridge on the other. esp. at 3/4 view. Do you think you'll ask him if he will rasp it for free or have you talked to him at all about it since your surgery? My sis is having surgery with him on Tuesday so I'm going to ask him about my nose but I don't know if I'm going to go through with surgery since it's not really a big deal to me. I wonder if it has anything to do with the way he does the surgery or if our noses were just difficult, mine was really crooked before but still looks a bit twisted or curved from the front now. hmm :/
Hi Happygirl! I actually followed your story before I had my surgery :-) thanks for posting (it really helped). I was really hoping the bump would subside with time, but now that you mention the same - maybe not :( (although I couldn't really see your in your pics so it must be smalL) I'm just going to wait it out and hopefully by one year it will either be smaller than now, and if not I will definitely ask about the rasping! What did he say to you when you asked about it? I did mention my bump at my 5 month check up, he said that there is still 1-2mm of swelling on my nose so I should just wait, he also said he didn't remove my bump fully as it wouldn't look natural completely straight. I'm fine with that - and I love one side, and would love the other side to match it! Like you, I'm really happy with my nose...as it's much better than before so I don't mind too much!

20 months post op

Thought I would post nose photos 20 months post op. As you can see I had a very subtle change, I still have a small bump on one side (think it is scar tissue as it is soft when gently pressed) which I think can make my nose look slightly uneven at times. However, it is definitely an improvement so I'm pretty happy. I would add that I must have thick skin on my nose so even now it continues to change. Hope this is helpful :-)
You new nose looks Amazing! Enjoy the new you.
Wow, great results!
good result ... looks more refined