Finally Picked a Dr - New York, NY

Hey everyone, I found this website about 6 months...

Hey everyone, I found this website about 6 months ago when I started actively looking into the procedure, and all of your experiences have helped me greatly. I've always hated my nose and my mom and sister used to make fun of me growing up saying I needed to get my nose done. When I bring it up now they both say "your beautiful just the way you are" I mean its no secret that I have a big Italian nose. I have a bump and the projection of my nose is a little big for my face especially because all my other features are smaller. I had my first consultation last week and it was very overwhelming for me. All these people examining my nose. I have my second consultation this upcoming week and I'm curious to see how this one goes, hopefully i'll be less overwhelmed. I'm scared of the actual procedure, and the recovery time and the possibility of it coming out bad. I know i'll feel soo much better about myself after, but its bee a tough journey so far. The doctor I saw last week specialized more in reconstructive surgery, more than traditional rhinoplasties. He re-buildes noses and stuff for people who only have half a nose. The doctor i'm seeing this week specializes in noses. He markets himself a lot and i'm not sure if thats a bad thing or not. Anyways, if you guys have any advice for me or tips or anything i'd love to hear from you.

So, I've had 2 consultations so far. I liked both...

So, I've had 2 consultations so far. I liked both doctors. The one I had a consultation with today was was more commercial, had the big fancy office on park avenue with his own operating room, etc... The other doctor held his consultation at beth isreal, so there was a generic doctors office and generic waiting room, both very different experiences. The one to day specializes in noses and has his own procedure patented and whatnot, And is double board certified in facial, and an ENT. The other doctor is just board certified in plastic surgery but does more reconstructive work, like people who are missing half their nose and re-building it. He supposedly also is an ENT but not board certified. He was also recommended by a close family-friend of my boyfriends who was also a plastic surgeon. I haven't gotten a price quote back from him yet. Todays doctor wants 19,000... Both doctors agreed that they'd do a closed surgery and do the same things to my nose, but the one today also said that I need a septioplasty (forgive my spelling) as well because of the way it sits at the top? and the other doctor said it looked straight. My boyfriend seems to be convinced I should choose the recommendation, because he was recommended by his close family friend, and he seems like he's in it to actual help people and he rebuilds faces and such for cancer patients and people who were in accidents, to where as the other guy seems like a nose factory. He also has a point to say this guy would get bored limiting himself to just one speciality when he enjoys all of them (mind you he's a brainiac). So I definitely feel more confused. Any advice would be helpful.

Hey everyone. I've picked a doctor! Based on the...

Hey everyone. I've picked a doctor! Based on the recommendation of a close family friend, it will be the surgeon he suggested. I also have my surgery booked for July 18th. I'm kinda getting freaked out by the healing process, I hope its not as bad as I'm anticipating. I can't wait until my pre-op because I just want to pick his brain before we go in for surgery, especially because he was my first consult so I was a bit flustered. I'm not excited yet, I feel like i'm just neutral about it at the moment. Anyways, I'll update soon to see if i'm feeling the same way.

Becoming more anxious!

Hey everyone, I haven't updated in a while, i'm getting more anxious. It's 6 weeks until my surgery. I still go back and forth with it, one day I say to myself "YES! i'm soo ready for this!" and the next I wonder what if? I had e-mailed my family friend about my doctor and he's insistent he's the best so that made me feel more comfortable. I decided not to tell my mom, but I still go back and forth with that too! Thanks for all the inspiring stories out there! Its helping me tremendously.

Still so unsure

Hey everyone. My pre-op is tomorrow. I'm not really excited I guess because I really can't decide if I truly want this or not. Would I be doing this if someone didn't put the idea in my head? Idk ever since then I've been totally obsessed with my nose which is like 7 months now. Idk. Anyways ill update tomorrow after my pre-op

counting down...

Hey everyone, i'm less than 3 weeks away! I go for my testing on the 10th. I'm getting really anxious! kinda excited though. I keep wondering what i'll look like!!! I hope everyone is doing well!!!

1 day post op!

hey everyone I had my surgery yesterday. It went well. It took a little longer than expected about an hour and a half more- He put a numbing agent in my nose so I felt so awesome until 9:30 that night then my nose hurt soo bad! but i'm not in that much pain now just dripping a lot. you can see i have slight bruising.

Day 2

Hey everyone it's day 2 after my surgery. I'm a but more swollen under my eyes by my nose and the bruises are a but darker but not that bad. I tried eating Mac n cheese for dinner but I felt like the chewing was making my nose run more with whatever's coming out of it. I'm not in that much pain which is good. I've just been sleeping a lot really. Tonight I'm going to try and brush my teeth and put my retainer in. Hopefully that goes well!

More pics

Day 3 post op

Its day 3 already! I'm not in that much pain, i'm just really swollen. I cant breathe out of my nose even though he took the packing out it seems to be getting more congested. there not much bruising. just ansy to see what it looks like!

Day 5 post op

Hey guys! I went to see the doctor today and he said everything looks good and I've been cleaning it well. I get the splint off Friday morning! I'm nervous and excited because I'm nervous to see what it looks like and I'm afraid it might hurt :/ I still have a lot of swelling inside and I hactually have a bubble inside that's swollen in between the stitches. Idk if that makes sense. I'm not in much pain just discomfort really from the congestion. It's driving me crazy! He said everything looks well though so that makes me happy. I can't wait until Friday!!

got my splint off today. 8 days post op

hey i got my splint off. I cried. I still feel like it looks big/the same. He said its swollen and we just have to wait.
Mark L Smith

He's wonderful. Took the time to see me before surgery was super nice and caring in the OR and checked in on my 3 times after the surgery.