One Treatment Not Sufficient - New York, NY

My first treatment was on April 27th 2012 with a...

My first treatment was on April 27th 2012 with a nurse. The treatment is more painful than most users and the marketing brochures detail. To start, there are dozens of injections of lidocaine to numb the underarm area. The Miradry machine - which sounds like it is singing Enya repertoire oddly - is applied to the skin for a limited time in each area. Depending on the area, the Miradry machine lands, it can hurt like a mother or just feel mildly irrititating.

I went home with some ice packs provided by the office. Despite using the ice packs, my underarms blew up to massive proportions - perhaps needing their own zip code. They recommend taking OTC Advil or Tylenol. I believe they should offer up a prescription for a stronger anti-inflammatory available by prescription. I say this as the Advil had little result. I turned to Naproxen which I had a prescription for, and that helped a lot. The zip code arm pits kept their volume for about three days and then returned to their pre-Hulk status completely within two weeks. What is left are bumpy ridges which remain on about a month.

Today, the swelling is gone but unfortunately the sweating remains. I still have substantial sweating under my right arm. Photo below snapped from this morning. I took the photo on a humid morning in NY where I walked about 10 blocks. My left underarm remained dryer.

I was told that the first treatment alone works for 95% of the patients. Apparently I'm the odd woman out. I hope the second treatment does the trick and eliminates this embarrassing underarm sweating for good. Otherwise, this has been an expensive and painful procedure

You'll have to let us know how the second treatment works out for you? How long after did you start sweating again?

I had the Miradry procedure done at the end of March this year. I had a very similar experience to yours. The pain of certain areas where the numbing didnt seem to take was very painful and I had no idea how many injections I was going to receive in each arm pit and was shocked when they told me just before we got started. My swelling was quite substantial too- It was quite scary to see. its has been roughly three months since I had the procedure done and I still have quite substantial sweating under my arms... *sigh* what a disappointment. Im hoping as well that my second treatment will give me the results I was hoping for. I had to travel from Canada to the US to have this done, so it was very costly!! Good luck!!

Thanks Megan, I'll be sure to post the results following the second and final treatment. I truly hope to have great, dry news to report.

I just had my second Miradry treatment on August...

I just had my second Miradry treatment on August 3rd 2012. The nurse used the #3 setting for the Miradry machine. This second time, I had pain upon use of the Miradry machine, but it quickly subsided. I posted a photo to show what the swelling looked like a day after the procedure. I made sure to use ice for about 9 hours following the procedure and took anti-inflammatory medicine.

It is too early to tell whether my underarm sweating is gone due to the swelling, but right now it appears I am not sweating much at all under my arms despite it being very hot and humid in NYC. In fact, earlier this week, I walked from the east to west side during one of the hottest, most humid days of the summer and while my face and back got sweaty, my underarms remained dry.

I am keeping my fingers crossed that when the swelling subsides and the bumps go away, the sweat will also stay far, far away.

I'll keep you posted in a few weeks!
I had similar swelling and I COMPLETLY agree it was quite scary to see how big the swelling actually was. The only exception was that on my first procedure i got an abscess which had to be drained and on my second procedure I got the abscess in the same spot and now I have burn marks that turned into sores, which are now being treated with topical antibiotic.

Hi, thank you for your posts. I hope that the procedure will be successful for you. I have a question. does this procedure help with oder? I scrub, exfuoliate, shave and still have an oder problem, and have tried many deoderant/anti persperant. My issue is more of oder not of sweat.

That is a great question to pose to the board certified doctors who volunteer on RealSelf. I'm going to submit it in our Q&A section. Just click the link below if you would like to watch for answers with me. It usually takes 24-48 hours for the doctors to start posting.

Does Miradry Help with Odor?

Skin Laser & Surgery Specialists-NYC

I was not treated by a doctor so I cannot rate a doctor.