Revlite Nd:YAG Laser for Melasma - New York, NY

In my pregnancies I developed freckle-sized...

In my pregnancies I developed freckle-sized patches of melasma on the sides of my cheeks. (These are not sunspots or agespots, but are indeed melasma, and that is an important difference.)

I tried Tri-Luma which did absolutely nothing at all except make my skin red. There was no fading of pigment whatsoever. It was a waste of money and time.

I researched all the lasers out there and decided that I would give the Nd:YAG Revlite laser a try. My dermatologist said the spots would go away with one treatment but I might need follow up bleaching creams.

Two months ago I had the treatment. It took only a few minutes, wasn't too painful. After 7 days the ugly crusty scabs fell off and the spots were red, like acne scars. After one month I went back for a follow-up and was distressed because the spots were still red. I was given 4% hydroquinone and told to apply twice daily.

It's now been two months. The redness is almost gone. The spots have indeed changed: they got lighter by 50% but they got wider, too, so now it looks like I have these strange "stains" instead of freckles! They aren't dark brown, but a light brownish pinkish grey, almost like acne scars. I don't think the post-laser hydroquinone did anything to alter the pigment other than to lighten the redness a little.

My dermatologist won't do another laser treatment because he says he rarely needs to do two on a patient. That may be true for sunspots and freckles, but what I have is deep melasma--not light surface pigmentation-- that nothing seems to cure.

I think the Nd:YAG might work for sunspots and freckles, but I don't think it improved my melasma. The good news is that a dab of concealer covers it fine, so it's not a big deal. I am now using Vitamin C on my face and I use Zinc Oxide sunscreen which prevents any further darkening.

In retrospect I wished I hadn't done the laser because it widened the patches, made them a little bigger, and made them a strange color...I think I would have been happier if I had left them looking like freckles, although they were a bit harder then to cover with concealer. I'm frustrated because the rest of my skin is beautiful except for these weird patches I now have.

Hi, i just went to a clinic for a consultation, and the recommended revlite. Mine is melasma above the lip from contraceptive pill, and its not too bad if i am very careful in the sun. I'm not going to try the lasers at the moment, but she also recommended all these lotions and potions and i wondered what the ones you were, which you tried? the ones she said are: purity clean, Lytera, Prioirty B, Ultra A and phytoclear? Did you think yours have helped?
I just had my Fraxel(my 4th treatment) for my melasma. I still don't know it works or not. They told me it may need up to the 5th or the 6th treatment to see any improvement. I am using dermamelan cream on top of this fraxel treatment. They said it will speedup the fading process. I hope they are right. After so much money and time, I am tired of trying. Will let you know.
thanks for sharing your story and preventing the rest of us from spending major cash on a process that rarely works. i can't tell you how many times a dermatologist has recommended i do lasers for melasma!! if it weren't for this forum and all the honest answers and stories i've read, i might've done the same treatment you did. I also found, zinc oxide and titanium oxide sunscreens made a difference in keeping my melasma from getting darker and i've read a lot in magazines lately about the benefits of topical vitamin C. good luck to you:-)
Thanks. Now, there just might be another laser that would work on me like the Fraxel but I am not trying any more lasers at all for fear of making things worse. Also, everybody is different and you never know how a laser is going to work on you. All I can say is that this particular laser did not work on my melasma, and it frustrates me that my dermatologist thinks it worked but my entire family and my friends see that it didn't--and we are not picky. I will just stick with zinc oxide & vitamin c for now and live with it.