29 and Ready to Get Rid of My Gut Once and For All - New York, NY

I had my first consultation with the doctor last...

I had my first consultation with the doctor last Thursday. He made me feel very comfortable because he seems to really know what he's talking about. He has years of experience and was highly recommended on this site. I went in asking for Smartlipo and he told me that as a doctor he does not consider it a safe procedure and told me traditional was the way to go. I was nervous about traditional lipo because I was under the impression that it involved drains and all types of down time afterwards. He assured me that no drains would be necessary and that my down time would only be a day or two.
I didn't want to tell anybody that I was getting this done but I was told that someone had to bring me home after the procedure and stay with me the night. I'm new to NYC so I don't know a lot of people, and definitely don't have anyone I'd feel comfortable enough asking to pick me up. I decided to tell my mom about it and see if she could take some time off and come here to help me out. She was very upset when I told her what I planned to do and said she was very sad that there was something about myself that I hated so much that I would do something so extreme. She also said that she felt it was a very superficial thing to do and she knows I'm not like that, so it surprised her that I was going to do it. My mom's opinion of me is important to me and it hurts to know that she thinks of it this way. Does anyone else have any similar experiences with people having negative opinions of their procedures? I just want to feel better about myself, I hate the idea that I would come across as fake or superficial. :-(

Good luck on your surgery . I am heading into my surgery on the 19th of this month. I'm sorry to hear your having negative feedback on your decision, however, I'm a very straightforward girl and I mean no disrespect to your mom ,but i would like to say to you that this decison is only about what you think and how you feel. That is the MOST important thing. I made my decision to surgery a full TT and I didn't care what anyone thinks, whether they approve or not. I feel uncomfortable looking at the person in the mirror and wants to be happy doing just that, so i made everything possible to change that choice for me. You must do the same, for you. Your happiness is the most important thing and that's what matters. Everyone else can adjust on their own time. Please make sure what your doing is for you and all decison made is based solely on you r choices. It will make your life easier, surgery less stressful and your healing more progressive and you more happier ultimately.. feel free to inbox me if you wish...
Congrats and good luck on upcoming surgery
Thank you Both very much for your comments that makes me feel a lot better. Do you ever think about how you'll feel if someone compliments your new figure? I lost 30 lbs on my own in the past and whenever someone would compliment me I'd always say, "thank you I worked hard for this!" But now I feel like such a cheater :-( Just having lots of mixed emotions about the procedure that's all.

Ugh, Finally posting some gross "Before's"

Ok, so I'm not thrilled about posting these because I don't ever let ANYONE see me with my stomach all hanging out like this. I have had to suck my stomach in at all times for as long as I can remember. Not really "sucking it in" I guess but more like tightening it. Always. It almost feels forced to let it out. Surgery is a week from tomorrow and I can't wait! Can't wait to never have to feel so disgusted when I let my belly go again.

My dad was not happy with my decision prior to the procedure. I'm 31 and physically active. He felt strongly that if I continued to work out, I would get the same results. I didn't feel the same especially knowing how much hard work I have already put in. Post my procedure, which I had on Wednesday, my dad is fine. He was surprised at first because after our first couple of tough conversations, I stopped talking to him about it and he probably assumed I wasn't going to move forward. While I care deeply about my parents opinions, I also feel like I have to do things that make me happy. I totally think my decision to go forward with the procedure was well worth it....and hopefully you feel the same:-)
Parents only want what they see as best for their kids. I am sure he will respect your decision, he may not agree but he knows and wants you happy. Good luck next week.
Thanks so much for this! I hope your surgery went smoothly today, please keep me updated!!

Today was the Day

So today was surgery day! Somehow I never really got very nervous about it which I guess was a good thing. I woke up just feeling sore and like I had really bad period cramps. Still not sure of the results but tomorrow when I take off the garment I'll take some pictures. I'm nervous for the bruising because I feel like it's going to be scary and alarming, but I'm prepared for it.

Hello there! How are you feeling. I hope your resting well and taking for meds for pain management. Anyway, speedy recovery and I look forward to reading from you :-)
Oh I hope day 3 is better because I was SO sore today!!
I hope all went. Well and that the dreaded day after won't be to bad! On the good side it seems like everyone says day 3 is WAY better!!:) I will be saying a prayer for you:)

Day 1 post op

So I did a little pic stitch of my before and afters. Super swollen and sore. I didn't sleep well at all last night, got up at 8:30 this am and took 2 extra strength tylenol's, went back to bed and managed to sleep until 2. Got up and took a Vicodin with some food and let that kick in before I took off my garment. I was nervous for pain after I took it off. Something about the way my stomach looked and felt made me feel sick. I think it's because it's still numb and my skin just felt super saggy and weird. I got nauseous and hot and dizzy and had to lay in front of the fan for a few minutes! I showered ok and put my clean garment on and got dressed for the day and went out to eat with my mom. Dr. Said it was important to walk around so I figured getting out of the house was a good idea.

Can you update? How are you feeling now?
Oh yeah... Look at things from the bright side..."As each day goes by, it's one more less day of pain and one more day closer to the new you" :-) You'll be fine. Hang in there !

One week post op

Hi everyone, tomorrow will be one week since my surgery. Not going to lie, I'm feeling fatter than ever. I KNOW this is from the swelling because it feels like there's a pillow under my skin, so it's very obvious what the issue is. Just tough trying to be patient when I want to see results so bad!

My bruising has been minimal but I'm still stupid sore. Mostly when I go from sitting to standing. It's been tough trying to walk like I'm not sore at work. Bending also creates a stabbing pain. None of the pain is excruciating, I've only taken maybe 3 of my 20 Vicodin I was prescribed. Extra Strength Tylenol does the trick. I'm also able to sleep on my sides and stomach again, but maneuvering into and out of those positions is a project because of pain. I get my stitches out tomorrow and I'm nervous about the pain there...I'm such a baby!! I just can't wait to start noticing a difference! Not much difference on the scale either yet, but I know I'm filled with fluid right now so that's contributing to my weight.

One thing I'm having an issue with, and PLEASE speak up if you can relate...I keep peeing on my garment!! LOL No matter how hard I try not to I get pee on it! I've started to take the entire thing off to pee which is a process and a half...otherwise I will start to smell like the people no one wants to sit near on the train!!!

Can I just say you look AMAZING right now so girl you are going to look FAB in 1 month!!!! Having patience seems to be the hardest part of all of this we are putting ourselves through! Hang in we are all behind you:)
Thanks so much Callee!! I'm definitely starting to feel better about it as time goes on!
Hey there.... There are some things you need to know based upon your feedback. First, what kind of garment are you using? Does it have an opening at the bottom that you can "pull" to the side when you sit and pee? If not, you have no other choice than to go to the bathroom ahead of time when you have the sensation to pee so as not to get wet. Since you're still in week 1, I presume you're still wearing the garment you got from the hospital. You should be getting ready anytime to go a size smaller. When you do, get a garment that has an opening in the crotch area. With this, all you have to do is hook and unhook to use the bathroom. Also, you might want to seriously consider using panty liners as well. This will, at least, soak any tiny drops of pee and you can change it out each time you go to the bathroom :-) Second, you mentioned that you haven't seen any change on the scale. Don't expect to see any changes! Smart Lipo doesn't produce change in the "weight" department. It only contours your body. Your weight will typically go up post surgery due to fluids/inflammation. Even after draining, your weight may be slightly more than it was post op (that was my case and many other women I followed during my research). In order to reduce your weight, that's up to you. I mentioned in my blog that post SL, you have to be extra careful with salt consumption cause it retains water. That's not to say stay clear of salt. Just do it with 'reason'. Also, be mindful of prepackaged foods. Your best bet is to prepare your meals if you can. Third, you have got to have a tight garment and massage yourself if you want your swelling to go down. Yes, you'll hurt, but it's expected. If your garment isn't tight enough, you don't use your brace on top of it, you don't wear it 24/7 (except to take a bath) and you don't massage "well" 2-3 times a day for approx 10-20 minutes (depending on your pain tolerance), you are not going to see the results you want. I don't mean to sound harsh, but I just want you to know that that doctor has done his part, the rest is really up to you. It's hard work. I know. I'll be 9 weeks post op tomorrow and I've shared a lot of what I did achieve the best results possible in my blog. Bite the bullet. You've come this far and it's going to get better. Just do these things and others that have been suggested to you by my fellow readers. You'll be fine :-))) Take care!

Was this worth it?

Hey everyone...sorry it's been so long since I last posted! I'm feeling a little discouraged lately and I'm not sure if getting this was the right decision. I definitely notice a difference, but I have visibly loose skin under my belly button. I'm a little over 8 weeks post op and I was wearing my garment every day still up until last week at my consultation when my doctor said it wasn't necessary any more. He said everything looks great and that I'm still swollen a little bit, but I can tell that under my belly button isn't swollen, it's just loose skin. It's not like my stomach was HUGE before so I don't get it. Does anyone else have this issue? And if so, what did you do/are you doing about it? I'll post pics tonight.

I just read ColoradoMaiden's feedback and I agree. Try the massager, it beat the thermage for right now :-))
Hey girl, you really don't sound too enthused with your results. I know you plan to post pictures later today and I'll check them out with everyone else. I just had to ask a couple of questions. Did your doctor ever say that you won't have loose skin, or did he say that there was a possibility of you having loose skin when he examined you? Based upon your before pictures, it's obvious that you had a small, overlapped lower abdomen. That alone could create the loose skin or may not. Every skin texture is different. You might have seen several ladies that looked like you and had no loose skin post surgery, but there are several who develop it too. I'm sorry that the results your seeing aren't what you expected, but there are solutions. I know of a treatment called "Thermage". I've seen the results on a friend that had it on her abs and you can't even tell that she ever had loose skin. It could be pricey depending on where you have it done, but you may have to wait till after 6 months po to have it done. Personally, I have loose skin, but it's tight and I knew I'd have it because I also had an overlapping belly. I currently use olive oil on my abs to help with it and may have thermage in the future, but that's not in my radar right now. Hopefully, other may have other, if not better suggestions for you. Take it easy girl:-)
Thanks so much for your advice! It really helps to know I'm not alone on this!
Manhattan Plastic Surgeon

He's very friendly and made sure I understood everything about the procedure. In the past I got a consultation at a different place and the Dr. stood me in front of a mirror and showed me all the area's he would take fat out of, instead of focusing on the only area I was concerned about. It was very degrading and made me feel worse about myself than when I went in. Dr. Wallach didn't do that. I told him I was concerned about my abdomen and that was the only area he focused on. He didn't try to play off any other insecurities I may have had which was comforting.