Invisalign Process - College Student - New York, NY

So.. where to begin? I've been unhappy with my...

So.. where to begin? I've been unhappy with my teeth for a long time now (you can see the issues in the photos) and have been thinking about getting Invisalign for a while but kept putting it off because of silly excuses. I finally booked a consultation and after meeting with my dentist in September, I went in on Monday (the 28th) to get my first set of Invisalign.
I was surprised when my dentist handed me the tray and it had these strange bubbles in it, which he told me were for the attachments. He claimed he had told me about this, but he definitely didn't. I'm going to have 6 on my bottom and 13 on my top but he wont put them on until next week because he wants me to get used the tray first. I'm slightly annoyed because he didn't tell me and they do make the trays more noticeable (especially because I have 4 on my front two teeth) but I know it's also my fault because I didn't ask him about it, which I definitely should have.
Aside from that.. I haven't really experienced the teeth pain that was expected or that most other people have had. However, I've had a lot of pain from the tray rubbing and scratching my mouth. I have had to trim and file it, which helped slightly but there is still one area at the back that I can't seem to fix.
That's it for now! I'll update again when something else happens.

Welcome to RealSelf VB, and I'm so happy that you're starting your story right at the beginning, so we can watch your progress!  The buttons are a little more noticeable, but it's not much from afar, and like everything else, you get used to it.  And others get used to it too.  In the end, the thing to remember is that you notice them less than regular braces, and even more importantly, you notice the buttons less than you notice crooked teeth.  So the more your teeth straighten out, the better you're going to feel about the buttons.  They do make it hurt more, though, so be ready for that.  The trays vary as to how much they rip up your mouth, but you can always talk to your dentist about them like you did with this first one.  Also, orthodontic wax is your friend!  Use it right away, before the wear becomes tear.  I'll be following you.  Good luck!!  :D

Hi, I just joined this website a few days ago, and it seems like you're one of the managers. I was wondering how to follow peoples posts such as this one, or will I manually have to search for it every time?

I sent you a private message...please let me know whether you got an update. :)

Week 2 of Invisalign - Attachments Added

I've had my trays in for 10 days now and went in on Monday to have my attachments added. So far everything has gone quite well, after filing down my tray the first time I didn't have any more problems so that was fine. I do have a slight lisp, which weirdly I didn't have the first few days but suddenly appeared on day 4 and hasn't really gone away. Also, I've not really seen it mentioned anywhere else, but I do have difficulty closing my mouth around the trays. Because of this, I either have to clamp my lips around it or leave my mouth hanging slightly open - both of which look strange.
Apart from all that, as mentioned I had my attachments put on. It wasn't painful at all, and if anything I'm actually happy about it because it makes my trays look less visible. (This is because the first tray he gave me all ready had the spaces for the attachments, so having those without the actual attachments was very noticeable.)
I'll upload some photos later with photos of the trays with attachments.
It's been about a week since I've started wearing my trays, and I also have the same problem with the difficulty of closing my mouth.

I definitely had trouble closing my lips over the aligners, and I still have a little trouble even over the retainers.  I've also read a few others on here who say the same thing.  Totally normal--you've got more bulk in your mouth, after all!  Glad to hear everything is going well!

Yes, I did get it, thanks!

Tray 3!

I'm so sorry it's been so long since I updated.. Nothing very exciting has happened so I haven't had much to say!
I switched to my third tray last Sunday so I am now entering week 5 of having invisalign.
Everything seems to have gone very smoothly so far.. I have had zero pain when putting in new trays, which is great but also a bit disconcerting? I feel like it means they're not working?
I was shocked when replacing my trays how discoloured they had become - but it wasn't too bad. I am a smoker and do smoke occasionally with them in so I know that definitely has something to do with it.
Thanksgiving was terrible I had them out for about 12 hours so hopefully that won't hinder my process too much!
I haven't really noticed any changes in my teeth and I was wondering when people generally did start noticing a difference?
I forgot to add photos to my last post so will add some now.
Thanks for sharing your experience! I am only on tray three, but I have already noticed that when I floss there are some spaces that are tighter and others that are looser than what I have been used to all of my life. Also, my bite is changing. I really only notice that when I have the trays out for longer than I should (it's kind of hard for my jaw to get comfortable because things sit differently already). Also, you may not notice a difference in your "visible" front teeth for awhile, especially if the back teeth are being moved to make room first! (My fronts won't budge for a year!) Looking forward to reading more! Happy holidays!

I think it was about six trays for me, when I started seeing real differences, but it's hard to remember.  I do remember that for my Thanksgiving with them in, I also ended up forgetting to put them back.  Or maybe it was Christmas.  But it ended up not making a difference.  I wore them for 24 hours straight after that (only taking out for brushing--I fasted) cause I was so freaked out :).  But you'll probably be okay ;)

Tray 8!

Again - sorry I've been so absent!
I just went into to get my 8th tray today, which means I'm nearly halfway through! I'll post some pictures with this post.
Everything seems to be going fine, apart from my one problem snaggle tooth doesn't seem to want to move and so is a bit behind schedule. My ortho said it was fine and we're just going to keep going though? Does anyone else have any experience with this? Is it normal?
Also, because it's not keeping up, the attachment fell off, and he said that he's not going to put it back on. This didn't really make sense as it is my most problematic tooth, but I asked him and he wouldn't budge. Again, anyone had this experience? Let me know!

Teeth update

Hm…I'm a little concerned, but I'm not an expert.  If you're truly concerned, you could try posting pictures and a question to the doctors' Q&A Forum.  You should also take a look at BatonRougeCutie's Invisalign review.  She's had a similar problem, though I think that hers was a little more severe.  She's recently given up on Invisalign and moved to Fast Braces.
Manhattan Orthodontist