Just got Invisalign!

I'm 30 years old and I just got Invisalign.  I didn't have a perfect smile, and I thought, who cares? Just do it. I was scared for the longest time (still am), but you can't say you did it, until you do it. My treatment will be about 12 months. So I'll be 31 with a great smile. That was my motivation.

Pros - It's only 1 year out of your life. So what? It should go by fast... I think back about everything that happened this past year, and if I had Invisalign, it wouldn't have been all that bad. A year goes by faster than you think.

Cons - well, it's still in your mouth all day. 22 hours per day. I'm talking slightly funny but hoping it goes away soon.

Pics! Pre Invisalign!

Ok here are my teeth on 12/5/13, just minutes before getting invisalign.

Even more pics! With Tray 1 in Mouth

I've got, idk, maybe 11-12 attachments along my side teeth (none on my frontals thankfully!). Attached are pics of my jaw, open and closed mouth, to see how my overbite changes =)

TRAY 2!!!

Ok so last night I changed into Tray 2 before going to bed. The doctor said to change it on 12/19, but I was so eager that I did it the night before. I also figured that would give it a good adjustment period in my mouth. Does anyone have any thoughts about this?

This tray is definitely tighter, but I don't see any teeth movement yet, so ill hold off on pictures for now. Taking the trays out for cleaning was difficult at first, but as soon as I found the new groove or whatever, it peeled off quite easily.

A few notes about my tray 1 experience:

1 - wow they are so stained now - I drink coffee with them at times. Nothin I can do about it. Are denture cleansers helpful here? I can't find RetainerBrite lanywhere.

2 - number of people that noticed I'm wearing invisalign - ZERO, however...

1 person noticed slurred speech on like my 2nd day ever, so no big deal.

1 person asked if there was something in my mouth about a week into Tray 1, I respectfully said no, hhaha. I was still slurring a bit.

1 person asked if I am wearing "those retainer things" because I kept touching my teeth during a meeting. Again, I just declined.

I feel like I'm still speaking with a lisp but no one says anything, so maybe it's just me? Lets hope my odd behavior of touching my teeth ceases for this tray!

Acceledent?!

I need info on this and any reviews! Is this stuff safe and legit? Where do I get it from?!

Tray 3!!!!!! Woo Hoo!

Movin on up to Tray 3 tonight.... and WTF, they look exactly the same as Tray 2! :( but wowww, they are painful, so there is some difference I suppose. Again, I'm doing it night before the actual date, so I can get used to it by tomorrow.

I regret not taking pics of my teeth prior to Tray 2, so I have pics JUST before inserting Tray 3, and no matter what, I will post pics of my teeth prior to new trays. I do definitely feel and see a slight difference though in my bite (you'll see what I mean), but other than that, no difference in my smile or other teeth appearance.

But some good news for my incredibly vain being -

Finally onto Tray 4!!!

Tray 4 begins tonight! Unfortunately, everything still looks the same but I know it's doing good. Attached are pics right before I put them in... along with a lot more facial hair.

Finally onto Tray 4!!!

How can I forgot my signature line:

Going to Dinners / Hanging out / dating / intimacy with Trays

How do you guys do things like I've named above? I'm still awkward about it and gotta adjust. I generally remove my trays and it ends up being 2-3 hours and I feel sooooo guilty....however this past wknd at the dentist, he said everything is looking fine. But really, is there a way to master the intimate things with invisalign?

ok i'm a moron... the REAL tray 4 pics.

are my teeth getting better?! facial hair may or may not be the same... but my t-shirt is def different in this set hahahah. #doh

Getting Acceledent this week!!!

Hey everyone! So I got the good news from my dentist, and this Wednesday I'll be picking up Acceledent!!! I wouldnt have even learned about it if it werent for this site =) so thank you all.

I do have a question for all you Acceledenters. It so happens that this Wednesday I will begin Tray 5, so it's perfect. However, since I can't see the dentist every week, how would I know when it's actually time to change trays in the future? Before, obviously, it's every 14 days on the dot... but now, am I dropping down to every 7 days, or what? Any guidance is great.

Tray 5! And acceledent!

Pics of my teeth just prior to tray 5 woo hoo! And I got my acceledent holla!!!!! Writing this post as I have this thing in my mouth. That's what she said?

Tray 5 Signature Line

Forgot it again... doh...

Acceledent Question

to everyone that has acceledent.... what is the real deal with timing of use?? i know ideally it should be at the same exact time every 24 hours... but lets be real, that's nearly impossible. what leeway do we have? i dont intend to skip days but i know 24 hours on the dot isnt happening. thoughts please?

Tray 6 + Pics!!!

What a quick week! I'm starting Tray 6 tonight and it's awesome. Acceledent is doing it's thang! Tray 6 felt tight as usual, but nothing outside the ordinary. So I think it's working! Attached are my teeth just prior to putting in Tray 6. I see some slight improvement, but still not a perfect smile. What do you all think? Any changes?

Number of people that noticed I'm wearing invisalign - STILL ZERO! =D

The super frequency of brushing teeth...

Warning: this is probably a really dumb question.

After 6 trays, 8 weeks, and 1000+ minutes spent brushing my teeth... I need to ask... are we Invisalign'ers supposed to use toothpaste every single time we brush? I brush my teeth on average about 6 times per day (I eat small frequent meals)... and I do use toothpaste after each meal, but isn't that in the long run, like bad for your enamel and stuff? I know the point is just to get the small chunks of food out...I'm not sure if toothpaste is really required. What are your thoughts?

Tray 7!!!

Went to the dentist today, had a lil check up on how Acceledent was going. He said everything is looking great! This is so cool. He gave me Tray 7, 8, 9, 10. Pics of just prior to Tray 7 are attached!

Number of people that noticed I'm wearing invisalign - STILL ZERO! =D
==> However, my roommate's girlfriend was talking to me and asked if I'm "whitening my teeth?" I looked at her blankly, like "huh?" And she asked if I was wearing those Crest whitening strips. I simply nodded yes and changed the subject. I am realizing that the first day of a new tray is super shiny because it's so clean, and that's why it does give off that impression. No one has noticed anything else (and I talk to people all day at work).

When will my teeth line up?

So I'm on tray 7/25, so yes still a long way to go, but when I put my teeth edge to edge, I don't see when/how the line separating my two front teeth will line up with the line separating my two bottom teeth. I attached a pic of this, this edge to edge feels most comfortable, and feels like every single bottom tooth AND my entire jaw will have to shift to the left for these to line up. Am I crazy?

Pic for above.

Just put in tray 8/25!

Moving forward!!! Just in tray 8! It's tight but not terrible at all. Of course, I posted pics of my teeth just before putting them in. I know this sounds weird, maybe not, idk, but that one bottom tooth that sticks out, feels like it's moving. But it's not. Like if my trays are not in, it doesn't move, but it really feels like there's a lot of stress in that area and that tooth would fall out. Am I crazy? I mean, it is moving bc that's the point of invisalign, but idk if I should be feeling it that way?

Anyways, pics are posted, lemme know what you all think in terms of progress etc!

On to Tray 9!

Moving on up! This past tray wasn't so bad, not so painful. I think that issue I had with my bottom tooth feeling weak is gone/resolved. Putting in tray 9 later tonight. Pics uploaded.

A major change here though:

Number of people that noticed I'm wearing invisalign - ONE.

My damn friend and I were chillin, sitting across each other about 5-6 feet apart. I for 1 second press on my tooth for some reason, and he asks "yo you wear invisalign?" Lol I immediately said no, like a knee jerk reaction, but I knew I was busted. So I told him. He claimed "he can always see Invisalign and that it's really noticeable." I go, oh yea tough guy, I've had these for 3 months now and you never saw them. He was shocked haha. But yea, he did catch me.

10 of 25!!! 40 PERCENT! WOO HOOOOOOO

I have graduated up to Tray 10... helllll yea! Attached are my pics right before I put them in. I think I'm happy with my progress, but I think I have a lot work left on my bottom tooth still. I know my bottoms have less trays (I think 16 or 17), so I'm really not sure when the heck that will be totally fixed? My top has 25, and I'm seeing the progress there, and I'm sure there's a lot of work left. Any thoughts?

Number of people that noticed I'm wearing invisalign - ONE (asterisk)*** I have a feeling that the friend that called me out on it was "hinted about it" by my roommate. Sneaky sneaky. (My roommate knows because I told her). Ah well, 1 or 0 people is still fine.

15ish more weeks!

And now... My Clincheck Videos =)

I've got the 3 following videos:

(i) Bottom
(ii) Top
(iii) Full

I dont think it's possible to get the 3D movable one. What do you all think?! Woo hooooo.

Well that didnt work... clincheck video upload, take 2

Top - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4FDYJX-m5T4

Bottom - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hHTYHWV3Kh8&feature=youtu.be

Full - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y-CMIdF06yE&feature=youtu.be

One more try - Embedding Clinchecks!

Tray 11 of 25 - big update

So I went to the dentist today, after 4 weeks. He did a check on everything and said everything was tracking perfectly. I was really happy to hear that, and that the Acceledent was doing its job. However, for some reason, with this Tray 11, he wants me to keep it in for 2 weeks, for some reason. He said he thought an area on the top could use a little more, and he said it would be better if I did that. So Tray 11 for 2 weeks, then back to 1 week a piece.

It turns out that I'm on my FINAL bottom tray too!!! That was a pleasant surprise, I suppose! I had no idea, I was expecting a few more bottom trays, but nope. So although that one tooth still sticks outs, I guess it's gonna be golden after this one? Cantttt wait!!! So I guess wearing this final tray for an extra week would really really solidify the bottoms. I guess I can't complain about this at all. It's fine with me. I also learned that even though there are no more trays after this one, I'll still be wearing a clear plastic tray to keep them in place.

Whereas that's all good news, I did receive some not so great news. First, that issue that I raised up some time ago, where the vertical lines of my top and bottom teeth dont line up - well, they arent going to. Even though the Clincheck shows they would, they actually started off lined up, so I'm not sure what went wrong there. The dentist said when I bite down, the teeth line up perfectly, but when I go edge-to-edge, my jaw kinda moves, and that its not correctable, not even with refinement trays. That's a slight bummer to me, but it won't get me down at all....I think my teeth will still look fabulous.

That's all I've got for now - I've uploaded the pics from just prior to Tray 11. What do you all think? Any improvements?

Tray 12!!!

Sorry this is a day late.. I've been really busy. I popped in Tray 12 last night, even though the dentist wanted me to wear Tray 11 for 2 weeks. When he told me that, it didn't seem like he had any real basis, so I went ahead and put them in. I'll double up on a later tray or just change my next appointment to a sooner date.

Anyways, I took pics of teeth just prior to putting them in. The bottom trays are done (although I still have to put trays in), and I can't say I'm totally happy with them though :( I dont know what more I can do... There is a weird gap between the bottom front teeth, and this gap gets smaller and wider as it pleases.... its weird!!! It seems like the gums in that area arent sure if they should rise or stay on the bottom. I did notice this before and asked my dentist about it, and he said thats how it's gonna be =(.... they may put some bonding in between, but meh.....

anyways, top trays till have a lotttt of time left, so hopefully the final product looks good. I constantly remind myself I'm not even halfway home yet... but to top it off on a good note:

Question on teeth movement

So this may be a dumb question because I know all your answers are gonna be "keep your trays in" but whatever...

I'm in tray 12, and bottom trays are done. However, my bottom teeth shift back to crooked if I leave my tray out for too long. I would think that since bottom trays are done, those teeth would be the most secure, but they're not.

For example, tonight I regret to inform that I had my trays out for about 4 hours tonight. I know, bad boy. When I popped them back in, the bottom tooth shifted. No other tooth in my mouth shifts, so why does the bottom tooth? Tomorrow morning it will be straight again, so WHYYY!? I took a pic of it.

TRAY 13 OF 25 - OFFICIALLY OVER 50%

Yesssssss. Tray 13. 52% done. This is great.

Tray 12 felt very long, even though it was just a week. Im not sure why, think I'm starting to get a bit impatient with them. But progress is great. I dont have many stories to tell (I think because I posted mid-Tray 12 lol).....I just want my bottom tooth to stay perfect... stop moving little fella! Cant wait for a retainer there. I'm also hoping my top starts to pushing inwards like the Invisalign videos show. I'm not sure when that process begins. I think my top front four teeth still have some straightening do still, but it's getting there. Pics are of course uploaded for just before this tray.

Tray 14!

Hello everyone! Just my weekly update... moved up to Tray 14 tonight!

I took many pics of my teeth, more so than usual. I'm not sure what it is, but I'm not loving my bottoms! :( and since the trays on the bottom are technically done, what do I do? I'm not sure why I dont love the bottoms. They are def straight (unless that one bastard tooth feels like taking a quick talk), but I feel like my Lower Cuspids are just weird.... all of its just weird. Am I crazy or do others see that too?

Tray 14 - Signature Tagline

Whooops, almost forgot.

TRAY 15/25, a dental follow up, and a ton of IPR Shavings

Went to the dentist today, had an hour long appointment, follow up, etc. I got a ton of shavings today (IPR), all over my top teeth it felt like. They're kinda visible, but not really. This is pretty much entering the latter stages of my treatment though!!! Awesome. I took pics of the teeth after the shavings were done, just putting in Tray 15. Dentist said I'm tracking well, but wants me to wear Tray 15 for 2 weeks (he told me to do that on Tray 14 but I didn't, lol). This time I will.

I mentioned my beef with the black triangle, and he recommended some bonding when the treatment is done. He said IPR there will require a lot of shaving and that it wasnt a great idea.

He gave me Trays 15-18, said I'm tracking well, and I'll see him again in 5 weeks!

Question on Changing Trays 15 through 18

hey everybody, so as most of you know, i generally post an update with pics every Wednesday, this is an obligatory post. however, this wednesday night, i wont be changing from tray 15 to tray 16 :( my dentist wanted me to leave this tray in a little longer because there was spacing in two of the teeth. he said to leave it in for an extra week, and then resume back to 1 tray per week (so next wednesday, tray 16).

I was wondering if i could alter this plan a bit. I saw my dentist last week, and my next visit will be 5 weeks from last week, so 35 days. instead of doubling up on tray 15, and resuming to tray 16, 17, and 18 at once a week, I think it would be better and smarter to change these next trays every 9 or 10 days, so they are equally dispersed throughout the 35 days. Remember, I am using Accedelent, so having one tray in for 2 weeks is really like a month! Plus tray 15 feels perfect now, I dont think I'll get much for another week.

What are your thoughts on this? Basically I want to change my schedule as follows:

Tray 15 = April 9 (9 days)
Tray 16 = April 18 (9 days)
Tray 17 = April 27 (9 days)
Tray 18 = May 5 (8 days)
Tray 19 = May 14 (9 days)
Morris Chimon

Good stuff Doc.

Do you feel uncomfortable asking your doctor to change the schedule in this way?

Remember that not all trays do the same amount of movement, and that some teeth are more difficult to move and some directions are more difficult to move teeth in. So evening out trays may or may not give you a better result.  None of us who follow you here are professionals.  But if you did want to ask a professional other than your doctor, you could try the Q&A forum (where doctors answer your question).  It may take 3-7 days to get an answer.

Generally, I'd say that your doctor knows your teeth best, and that you are paying your doctor to give you the best treatment possible.  If you tell him about your tray being loose already and tell him your concerns, he should be willing to talk to you--give you his reasoning, work with you on your scheduling if appropriate.  Your question is perfectly valid, so I wouldn't be embarrassed to ask him.
I think you're right. I didnt feel uncomfortable asking my dentist, although I probably should. I'm just excited and always in a rush to move onto the next one!!! Haha, that's all it is. When my dentist says these things, I feel like it's arbitrary. Its not like he took a measurement of it and calculated it needs 1 more week. I'm sure a few days are required, but 2 days vs 7 days... I dont know. Then again, I'm not a dentist. I'll just leave them in for another week... no biggie.
I still think your question is valid :D, but longer in the trays certainly won't give you a worse result :).
Hey there, So I'm a newbie from Australia! Have had tray 1 in for 6 days. I find your posts very amusing, especially the one about going out/being intimate. First day i got my buttons and 1st tray i went out and played poker and had six beers. Intimacy on day 2 not a problem ;) In Australia most orthos want you to use acceledent so its easy to come by. I start mine on week six/tray 3. Then change trays weekly. I have 23 trays in total and will be posting my progress. Keep up the interesting reads! Cheers
Lol anytime! Glad they're helpful. Yes I try to make these posts as interesting as possible because there's nothing fun about braces! Post some pics of your teeth!
No fun at all! LOL! I've written a review and posted pics so just waiting for it to be reviewed and published....keep posted :)
I Seriously still struggle to kiss my boyfriend, it just feels weird haha and I feel so much more slobbery. Crooky24 i'm from Melbourne AUS!!
Brosegr, you poor bugger! Glad to see another AUSSIE :)
Looking great! I think you need to wait till the tops are finished as well before making a decision whether you like them or not, dont forget you are probably so used to how your teeth used to look that your still learning to feel comfortable with the change lol. The only thing I can see with the bottom is the black triangles. Are you going to do refinements to get rid of them or keep them as is? Your journey has just sped by lucky you!!!
i havent discussed refinements with my dentist yet, but yes i intend to do whatever it takes. what's a rough cost estimate on black triangles?
I'm not sure. All my refinements are included in my treatment. So until I'm 100% happy they keep getting as many trays/attachments as needed haha!! I already know from my clincheck that I will have a few black triangles myself, so my ortho already told me that's probably what they will work on in my refinements. Keep us posted on what they say about yours.
Oh nice, I'm seeing the dentist next week so I'll ask him what's the deal with refinements will be. Very excited!!
Huh…I don't see it.  I see the black triangle, though!  So I guess I'm a couple of posts behind :-/.  Is it possible that the attachments are skewing how you see those lower canines?  Cause they kind of stick out in the pictures.  But the slightly above view looks great.  Maybe your other followers will see :D.  They were way better than me at seeing the black triangle thing, LOL!
haha that black triangle! it's so weird... i remember in a prior post, i mentioned it before knowing what it was. sometimes the gums in that area will rise up and cover it, and it looks totally normal, and then at times the gums will fall again, leaving the black triangle. i hope you're right with the attachments skewing my image of the lowers though.
I think Nadinelliana had a good point as well, though.  How you see those bottom teeth may change as you get used to them and as your upper arch moves into place :)
Thank you so much for sharing your process! I'm on my third tray out of 23, and I'm going to college in the fall and was hoping I could be done sooner than December/January (if I'm lucky). I have a couple of questions for you that could really help me! Did you see an orthodontist or dentist? And also, when you asked about acceledent, was your dentist/orthodontist very open to the idea? I really want to ask mine but I'm worried he'll brush it off like he has with my other concerns, like how well my upper right canine will rotate. Did he mention acceledent previously to you asking about it or were you the one to get the ball rolling? Thanks so much! I think acceledent would help me so much but I'm afraid to ask!
Hi there. You're so lucky you're only just starting college. Haha you're going to be fine. You should def not feel weird asking your dentist about acceledent. I was very assertive about it and asked him straight up what the deal was with it. Amazingly, he had not previously heard about it, so I in fact introduced it to him. I made sure he did his medical research first, but agreed it would be fine. In a way these things help the dentists business because there's less work for them and attracts more patients to do the invisalign! I say go for it and ask him about it right away. Can't hurt. Good luck!
Thanks so much!
looks stunning, now I cant wait to start my journey.... thank you for charging your journey to help others like me ;D
Congrats on passing the halfway mark!!!!

I wonder how different you're gonna look when those top teeth go in…Will it change the look of your lips?  I mean, one would think so.  I have no visual imagination LOL!
Me neither and I'm scared!!! No offense to ANYBODY here as it is quite often, but you know those smiles where all of your gums are visible? I'm not a big fan, and personally my gums are darkened over yearssss of mistreatment, so I'm really hoping my smile does NOT do that. I have an imagination but I cannot foresee what's gonna happen here lol!!
Wow! I am soooo jealous. Your progress has been amazing. Your teeth look amazing. Do you find that you have been smiling more than before starting your treatment?
I think I smile the same amount, I'm not really sure. I know that when I catch myself smiling, I am happy that my teeth look so much better than before, and aren't even done yet. So it's really nice.
"I would think that since bottom trays are done, those teeth would be the most secure, but they're not."...Interesting thing is, the most secure position for those teeth is the position they were in prior to your starting treatment. If you think about it, that's the position they were in for decades, and they are going to want to go back to that, unless you train them otherwise by keeping them in a stable position with the trays or retainers. Your teeth have only been in their new position for a few weeks, so they're not stable there yet. It takes months and years to stablize... orthodontic relapse is extremely common, and lower incisors especially so...you don't want to waste time and money by becoming too liberal with your tray wearing.
Makes total sense. Meh. Haha you're a great path to becoming a dentist!