Just got Invisalign!

I'm 30 years old and I just got Invisalign.  I didn't have a perfect smile, and I thought, who cares? Just do it. I was scared for the longest time (still am), but you can't say you did it, until you do it. My treatment will be about 12 months. So I'll be 31 with a great smile. That was my motivation.

Pros - It's only 1 year out of your life. So what? It should go by fast... I think back about everything that happened this past year, and if I had Invisalign, it wouldn't have been all that bad. A year goes by faster than you think.

Cons - well, it's still in your mouth all day. 22 hours per day. I'm talking slightly funny but hoping it goes away soon.

It will go by fast, though not as fast as it would if you were 40 ;).  Are you going to post pictures so we can follow your progress?  Also, remember that sometimes the treatment takes less time than expected, but often it takes a little longer, as you are given refinement trays.  How many aligners have you got, anyway?  I never got over the speech difficulties, but they were very, very slight after a while.  Most people could not notice.  I look forward to following your progress!

Yes I plan to add a bunch of pics of before getting the procedure and updating throughout. I've got 25 trays, halfway done with #1!
Your thoughts are exactly how I've been feeling. Today is my 4th day with Invisalign and I am hoping the year goes quickly. The aligners don't hurt as much as they did earlier in the week, but the slurred speech is bothersome. It's just a year, right? :) Good luck with your treatment!

Pics! Pre Invisalign!

Ok here are my teeth on 12/5/13, just minutes before getting invisalign.

Pics uploaded!

Sweet!  I see lots of crowding.  I can't tell--is your lower arch bigger than your upper arch, or was that just the camera angle?  I'm guessing you'll start feeling the movement in your two upper incisors and the four lower first.  Have you got (or will you get) attachments?  I don't see too much rotation needed--mostly spacing.  I'm very curious!  I'm trying to learn something but dental stuff is so hard!  Anyway, great pics!  You might want a full-on side view both open-mouth and closed, for your own records, so you can track your bite and the movement of those two front teeth. :)

I tried to the full side pics but they came out weird. I do have attachments - I think 13 in total. Ill post a pic of my teeth with no trays and just attachments.

Even more pics! With Tray 1 in Mouth

I've got, idk, maybe 11-12 attachments along my side teeth (none on my frontals thankfully!). Attached are pics of my jaw, open and closed mouth, to see how my overbite changes =)

More pics uploaded! Question - I feel like I have been writing this post under my original "Invisalign - Day 1 - New York, NY' post... I want to write multiple posts though. When I go to "Write a Review," it asks me all these questions like cost and stuff again. Am I doing something wrong, lol?!
:D.  Naw.  You can fill out more stuff later if you want.  Most people end up rating their doctor eventually, and you haven't done that yet. Now, I'm not sure because I have more permissions than you do, but I'm pretty sure that you can change your title whenever you want.  When you look at the top of your review, by the title, there should be a little edit button with a pencil next to it.  That will allow you to change your title (and the price of the procedure and stuff.  Either section of your review will have its own edit button.  When you choose to update your review, it has its own subtitle.

I see you figured out how to change the title!  Makes a lot more sense now ;)

TRAY 2!!!

Ok so last night I changed into Tray 2 before going to bed. The doctor said to change it on 12/19, but I was so eager that I did it the night before. I also figured that would give it a good adjustment period in my mouth. Does anyone have any thoughts about this?

This tray is definitely tighter, but I don't see any teeth movement yet, so ill hold off on pictures for now. Taking the trays out for cleaning was difficult at first, but as soon as I found the new groove or whatever, it peeled off quite easily.

A few notes about my tray 1 experience:

1 - wow they are so stained now - I drink coffee with them at times. Nothin I can do about it. Are denture cleansers helpful here? I can't find RetainerBrite lanywhere.

2 - number of people that noticed I'm wearing invisalign - ZERO, however...

1 person noticed slurred speech on like my 2nd day ever, so no big deal.

1 person asked if there was something in my mouth about a week into Tray 1, I respectfully said no, hhaha. I was still slurring a bit.

1 person asked if I am wearing "those retainer things" because I kept touching my teeth during a meeting. Again, I just declined.

I feel like I'm still speaking with a lisp but no one says anything, so maybe it's just me? Lets hope my odd behavior of touching my teeth ceases for this tray!

Congrats on your journey to a great smile! I actually started my invisalign a day after you! You are lucky with a year! I have been told bout 17 months! I clean/ soak my aligners in what my ortho told me 50/50 water and white vinegar. U soak about twice a day for about half an hour at a time and then I use a soft toothbrush to clean them inside and out with the vinegar solution and then rinse with water. I found this has kept mine quite clean. I asked my ortho about polident etc. and they said these will make the aligners cloudy after continuous use. I'm a green tea drinker but I only drink water with my aligners in. It's difficult but I only have 1-2 cups tea a day now. I really don't recommend drinking coffee with them in as the heat can also warp them and if coffee gets stuck in the trays then essentially this is sitting in your teeth till you brush causing plaque to build on your teeth and the aligners which can lead to tooth decay, decalification (discoloration of your teeth) and gum inflammation. Even if you take your aligners out have your coffee and just rinse your mouth and aligners with water before putting them back in it would be better (just some advice) anyways I look forward to following your journey, good luck!!

Hi!!  I found that the adjustment period in my mouth was invaluable.  And since the 2-week timing is an estimate, as long as the pain of the new tray isn't unbearable, you're probably fine (not giving advice, though ;).  I accidentally skipped an entire week of my tray once--I mean, I skipped to the next tray after one week instead of two.  I didn't even notice until I went back and checked the dates.  It was at the end of my treatment, though, during the refinement series.  Anyway, I probably wouldn't make a habit of changing early, but I definitely would make a habit of changing to the new set right before bed.  And using the chewies whenever you put the aligners back into your mouth like Aglandry said.  That is something that reading…a lot…of reviews on here has convinced me of.  I wish I'd done it, but you still can! :)

Have you asked your doctor for free samples of retainer cleaner?  Free stuff is always worth asking for.

I drank smoothies with my aligners in exactly two times.  I would have done it more, but I just don't eat that often.  The main important thing is to clean your teeth a lot and to make sure you're not drinking anything hot, because then the tray will mold to your teeth the way they are, instead of moving your teeth to fit it.  Just like Hellokat said.

Awesome, good to know that changing the night before is the way to do it. What are these chewies you speak of and where do I put them in? I'll ask my dentist the next time I see him. I will def ask him about free retainer cleaners too, why the heck not. I agree with the drinking something too hot, I've been avoiding that.

Acceledent?!

I need info on this and any reviews! Is this stuff safe and legit? Where do I get it from?!

Yep safe and legit! It's only available from orthodontic practices I believe. It can decrease your treatment time by 30-50%!! Here in Australia its quite pricey, but I think I'm definately going to get it! Please update if you decide to give it a go!!
wow - so will my dentist have it? i'll see him in a week and a half!
You can ask him. I think here in Australia its only available through an orthodontist. But all the same never hurts to ask!

Tray 3!!!!!! Woo Hoo!

Movin on up to Tray 3 tonight.... and WTF, they look exactly the same as Tray 2! :( but wowww, they are painful, so there is some difference I suppose. Again, I'm doing it night before the actual date, so I can get used to it by tomorrow.

I regret not taking pics of my teeth prior to Tray 2, so I have pics JUST before inserting Tray 3, and no matter what, I will post pics of my teeth prior to new trays. I do definitely feel and see a slight difference though in my bite (you'll see what I mean), but other than that, no difference in my smile or other teeth appearance.

But some good news for my incredibly vain being -

Number of people that noticed I'm wearing invisalign - STILL ZERO! =D

LOL!  As you go along, you can start comparing tray 1 to the tray you're on and see the differences.  The incremental differences are just too small to see most of the time.  But the overall differences start to get noticeable.  You can also try doing a split-screen with your pre-invisalign pic and current pic of the same angle.  I never did figure out how to do that, but lots of people on here do that so they can see their differences better.

I do see one big difference, though, and that's your facial hair :P  ;)

Happy New Year!!

bahahha! holiday beard! I went to the dentist today.. and we saw that at Tray 10, both my uppers and lowers will be in line!... but still many trays after to fix width and whatever else this thing is doing. woo hoo! =)

Sweet!  Nice to have a goal to look forward to that's not just, you know, "At the end of my treatment".  Wheeee!  When do you go back to work?

Finally onto Tray 4!!!

Tray 4 begins tonight! Unfortunately, everything still looks the same but I know it's doing good. Attached are pics right before I put them in... along with a lot more facial hair.

Finally onto Tray 4!!!

How can I forgot my signature line:

Number of people that noticed I'm wearing invisalign - STILL ZERO! =D

People don't notice I'm wearing Invisalign either, and I have attachments on all of my top front teeth. But my teeth don't normally show too much when I speak and I don't open-mouth smile, so I'm sure that helps.
That's awesome especially with the front teeth attachments! I'm gonna post another update, looking for people's thoughts on this...
I feel your pain lol. I am so impatient and I'm only on my 2nd trays, I keep looking for something even though I know nothing's obvious yet. I kinda keep telling everyone bout my invisalign coz I'm so excited (I know weird right) but until l say something the only people that notice is people that's children had it. Are you flossing after every meal? I feel bad coz I'm only doing it morning and night (lunchtime at work is only 30 mins and other than that im usually out for lunch) also I'm sorry I can't remember if you have attachments or not, if you do how so you find cleaning them? What do you use to get in the small bubbles? Thanks

Going to Dinners / Hanging out / dating / intimacy with Trays

How do you guys do things like I've named above? I'm still awkward about it and gotta adjust. I generally remove my trays and it ends up being 2-3 hours and I feel sooooo guilty....however this past wknd at the dentist, he said everything is looking fine. But really, is there a way to master the intimate things with invisalign?

BTW, I'm really pretty sure those are the exact same pictures you posted again (which I did once, accidentally, on my mommy makeover review).  Are you absolutely sure they're new pictures?  It's the same amount of facial hair!
Hahah they aren't the same! Teeth don't look like they're moving do they?! :(
Holy crap wait. I just looked. Lol these might actually be the same pics. Hmmm. What the heck did I do? Stay tuned folks...

ok i'm a moron... the REAL tray 4 pics.

are my teeth getting better?! facial hair may or may not be the same... but my t-shirt is def different in this set hahahah. #doh

LMAO after reading your tray 3 comment. When my ortho wanted me to do refinements, I didn't because I thought the teeth looked good, but I got the refinement trays anyway...another 13 for the top only. I looked at the first tray and the last and could see NO big difference (not like I could with the original trays). So I opted out. I'd already spent over a year and didn't want to add another 7-10 months. Take pics before each tray and you will begin to see big changes, it was around tray 6 for me. Good luck ith the dating issue...I'm married, so didn't have that problem, he knew what he was getting into LOL
I guess since I've been very vocal about starting invisalign I haven't had much of an issue excusing my self to the bathroom to remove, reinsert them (I don't do it outside of a bathroom just because I still drool a lot, and I find it kinda gross to see it so filled with saliva).
I only kid about the pics because I've done the same thing myself. ;)

As for any differences, I don't see them.  But that's not weird.  Four sets of aligners is very few to see a difference.  Your best bet would be to use a photo montage program to make a side-by-side.  I need to find one of those for my own use, so if you do find one, can you let me know?  I wouldn't expect to see visible improvement before the sixth set of aligners.  Have you tried side-by-side comparisons of the actual aligners, set 1 and set 4?  If you don't see a diff in them, I wouldn't expect to see it in your teeth.  If you do, it can be a clue where to look in your mouth. :D

Getting Acceledent this week!!!

Hey everyone! So I got the good news from my dentist, and this Wednesday I'll be picking up Acceledent!!! I wouldnt have even learned about it if it werent for this site =) so thank you all.

I do have a question for all you Acceledenters. It so happens that this Wednesday I will begin Tray 5, so it's perfect. However, since I can't see the dentist every week, how would I know when it's actually time to change trays in the future? Before, obviously, it's every 14 days on the dot... but now, am I dropping down to every 7 days, or what? Any guidance is great.

Congrats! Can't wait to hear all about your acceledent journey! Hopefully I'll be getting mine next month! Yes I have been told that you would change the trays every 7 days, which is how you are usually finished in half the proposed treatment time. Can I be sneaky and ask how much its costing you? Really interested in how the prices here in Australia differ to overseas.
Awesome thanks woo hoo! I haven't paid for it but my dentist will tell me on Wednesday. I think it's going to be around $1300 (usd). I'm ready to cut any check to save 6 months lol :)
There is nothing at all wrong with discussing prices here on RealSelf!  The whole point is for us to be able to give each other information that would be difficult or impossible to get otherwise.  I mean, I'm not saying that either of you thought there was anything wrong with it, but just in case anyone read your comment about being sneaky and thought you may have meant one isn't supposed to do that.  It's totally allowed and encouraged on here.  So thanks for asking, Nadinelliana, and thanks for answering, FTF24.  I would have asked if she hadn't! :D

Tray 5! And acceledent!

Pics of my teeth just prior to tray 5 woo hoo! And I got my acceledent holla!!!!! Writing this post as I have this thing in my mouth. That's what she said?

Did the Acceledent come to you directly or to your doctor?  Did your doctor give you guidance as to how long to wear each set of trays now that you've started using it?

Tray 5 Signature Line

Forgot it again... doh...

Number of people that noticed I'm wearing invisalign - STILL ZERO! =D

I am in my first set of retainers after 11 months in Invisaline. They never kept me or interfered with ANY activity, in fact I usually ate with them in. My overall dental hygiene improved dramatically because I wasn't a routine flosser, but I am now. Had a little lisp in the very beginning and a lot of saliva but it didn't take long for my mouth to acclimate and it went away. My teeth were not horrible but I noticed as I was getting older my bottoms were leaning forward. Not anymore! It was worth every cent and I'm 63! My husband has them too !
You ate with them in?!! And it was all good?! hmm........
At this point it actually feels weird if I eat with out them. I see all these people complaining about everything...just go about your life. If the trays rub, use wax, kiss, have sex, drink beer, work out and do whatever you do in life. Invisalign shouldn't impact your life at all.

Acceledent Question

to everyone that has acceledent.... what is the real deal with timing of use?? i know ideally it should be at the same exact time every 24 hours... but lets be real, that's nearly impossible. what leeway do we have? i dont intend to skip days but i know 24 hours on the dot isnt happening. thoughts please?

You only need to wear it twenty minutes a day. It doesn't need to be the same time. Some days I'll do morning, others I plan to do nights :)
Thanks! And your experience with it has been successful? How long have you had it for and how much is it reducing your invisalign by?
Hehe well........ I haven't used it as of yet. I go to a platinum elite invisalign orthodontist, they're the best provider is the whole of Australia. I got mine of EBay, the ortho didn't mind at all, he actually said it was a good idea. He notified me that it has to be worn for 20 minutes each day and it is best to wear it at the same time. If this is not possible, to wear it when you require but making sure you complete at least 20 minutes each day. It tracks your usage on the machine too. It's meant to reduce mine from 11-12 months to 4-5 months.

Tray 6 + Pics!!!

What a quick week! I'm starting Tray 6 tonight and it's awesome. Acceledent is doing it's thang! Tray 6 felt tight as usual, but nothing outside the ordinary. So I think it's working! Attached are my teeth just prior to putting in Tray 6. I see some slight improvement, but still not a perfect smile. What do you all think? Any changes?

Number of people that noticed I'm wearing invisalign - STILL ZERO! =D

I think I'm seeing some movement in your upper lateral incisors, especially on your right.  However, looking around at other community members, it seems tray 10 is more the sweet spot.  Which is…wow, really soon if you're using acceledent.  One month away.  I've read that the danger with changing trays too quickly (without Acceledent) is root resorption.  Will they be taking x-rays or anything to make sure that things are going well with your roots?
UMMMM... not that I know of!!! Going for a checkup next Wednesday so I'll find ask him then! Thanks!!!
I don't think they're allowed to put products on the market that do harm, so I'm sure it's fine.  I'm just curious because the doctors here on RealSelf talk about root resorption when people ask if they can change their trays a little early.  But I've not seen them talk about Acceledent and root resorption in the same question.  So yeah, curious :D.

The super frequency of brushing teeth...

Warning: this is probably a really dumb question.

After 6 trays, 8 weeks, and 1000+ minutes spent brushing my teeth... I need to ask... are we Invisalign'ers supposed to use toothpaste every single time we brush? I brush my teeth on average about 6 times per day (I eat small frequent meals)... and I do use toothpaste after each meal, but isn't that in the long run, like bad for your enamel and stuff? I know the point is just to get the small chunks of food out...I'm not sure if toothpaste is really required. What are your thoughts?

I don't think that's a dumb question at all! I don't think you need to use toothpaste every time you brush, but I personally don't like not using toothpaste, so I use a low abrasion one. Another thing about the enamel, I mentioned to another Invisaligner: try to get an alkaline mouth to use before brushing. After eating, especially acidic and/or sugary meals, the pH in your mouth is lowered. Brushing right after this can wear away your enamel, and capping the teeth right after with aligners will be perfect for bacteria because they'd be stuck in a pH they love. You could wait ~30 min. to brush after eating so saliva would bring the pH back to normal, but with our Invisalign time constraints this is not really feasible, so go for a good mouth rinse, then brush with a low abrasion paste (i.e. "regular"pastes, like Arm & Hammer, Colgate Regular, AIM, not the whitening or super special ones.)
Regarding the toothpaste...I didn't use a whitening toothpaste except at night. My ortho felt it was best to brush with a dry toothbrush or use water than to not brush at all. I also was brushing 6 or more times per day. But I did use toothpaste on most of them. I switched to a higher flouride toothpaste-I think it was Crest-and I do have a bit of tooth sensitivity on a couple teeth. Not sure if it's from brushing or just getting older LOL I wonder if that question was ever asked of the 'experts'?
Great Posts so far - Keep it up! It was my thoughts exactly re getting a nice smile before the next birthday. Lovely jaw line by the way ;-)

Tray 7!!!

Went to the dentist today, had a lil check up on how Acceledent was going. He said everything is looking great! This is so cool. He gave me Tray 7, 8, 9, 10. Pics of just prior to Tray 7 are attached!

Number of people that noticed I'm wearing invisalign - STILL ZERO! =D
==> However, my roommate's girlfriend was talking to me and asked if I'm "whitening my teeth?" I looked at her blankly, like "huh?" And she asked if I was wearing those Crest whitening strips. I simply nodded yes and changed the subject. I am realizing that the first day of a new tray is super shiny because it's so clean, and that's why it does give off that impression. No one has noticed anything else (and I talk to people all day at work).

Fightingthefear24, thank you so much for your posts. I too am in my early thirties and starting my journey. I've put this off for so long, that I almost gave up the idea of fixing my smile. I will have to start with traditional braces before beginning invisalign, but I am so excited. Posts like yours remind me that I am not alone in starting this journey.
@donewaiting - and I'm so glad you posted that as well...I'm in the same boat as you and it's reassuring to me that there are others out there like me. I wish u the best smile ever!
About brushing: I use toothpaste every time because I just don't feel clean and fresh if I don't. However, I too am worried about damage from too much brushing, so I don't brush a full two minutes every time...I do when I wake up and before bed. The other times I make sure and floss really well and then do a light brushing. I'm jealous of your acceledent device! LOL But I am too far into my treatment to worry about it now. :)

When will my teeth line up?

So I'm on tray 7/25, so yes still a long way to go, but when I put my teeth edge to edge, I don't see when/how the line separating my two front teeth will line up with the line separating my two bottom teeth. I attached a pic of this, this edge to edge feels most comfortable, and feels like every single bottom tooth AND my entire jaw will have to shift to the left for these to line up. Am I crazy?

Pic for above.

Your teeth are looking good! There is a definite change in your lower teeth...Your ClinCheck should show if your midline will be corrected. Just check the last frame.
Yes, the clincheck does show it will line up, but it doesn't show the crazy amounts of movement to the left that I think would be required (then again I'm not sure how much can be seen in 6 seconds)!
I had a midline issue as well, but it was resolved, somehow, by the end of my last refinement.  I complained about it and got the refinement and it worked.  Do you have your ClinCheck?  It might be able to show you.  Otherwise, I'd say it's definitely possible to fix, but how your doctor plans to fix it only they know.  It would not be amiss for you to ask them.

Just put in tray 8/25!

Moving forward!!! Just in tray 8! It's tight but not terrible at all. Of course, I posted pics of my teeth just before putting them in. I know this sounds weird, maybe not, idk, but that one bottom tooth that sticks out, feels like it's moving. But it's not. Like if my trays are not in, it doesn't move, but it really feels like there's a lot of stress in that area and that tooth would fall out. Am I crazy? I mean, it is moving bc that's the point of invisalign, but idk if I should be feeling it that way?

Anyways, pics are posted, lemme know what you all think in terms of progress etc!

Number of people that noticed I'm wearing invisalign - STILL ZERO! =D

I'm sorry…I don't understand what you mean by moving but…not moving?  Are you talking looseness or…?
Yes, that one feels loose...but when I touch it, it doesn't move. But that area feels somewhat weak.
Well, the tooth should certainly be a little bit loose, because it is moving.  However, it is also best to keep your doctor apprised of the situation, especially since you're changing trays so fast.  If the bone isn't remodeling fast enough, you could lose the tooth, right?  So close, close contact with the doctor.

On to Tray 9!

Moving on up! This past tray wasn't so bad, not so painful. I think that issue I had with my bottom tooth feeling weak is gone/resolved. Putting in tray 9 later tonight. Pics uploaded.

A major change here though:

Number of people that noticed I'm wearing invisalign - ONE.

My damn friend and I were chillin, sitting across each other about 5-6 feet apart. I for 1 second press on my tooth for some reason, and he asks "yo you wear invisalign?" Lol I immediately said no, like a knee jerk reaction, but I knew I was busted. So I told him. He claimed "he can always see Invisalign and that it's really noticeable." I go, oh yea tough guy, I've had these for 3 months now and you never saw them. He was shocked haha. But yea, he did catch me.

LOL!  Busted!  Was it awful, having someone figure it out?  :P

Anyway, suddenly, I'm seeing a big difference in your top arch.  Is it just me?
Big difference...in a bad way?!?
Of course not!  Straighter!  Very nice :).  :D

10 of 25!!! 40 PERCENT! WOO HOOOOOOO

I have graduated up to Tray 10... helllll yea! Attached are my pics right before I put them in. I think I'm happy with my progress, but I think I have a lot work left on my bottom tooth still. I know my bottoms have less trays (I think 16 or 17), so I'm really not sure when the heck that will be totally fixed? My top has 25, and I'm seeing the progress there, and I'm sure there's a lot of work left. Any thoughts?

Number of people that noticed I'm wearing invisalign - ONE (asterisk)*** I have a feeling that the friend that called me out on it was "hinted about it" by my roommate. Sneaky sneaky. (My roommate knows because I told her). Ah well, 1 or 0 people is still fine.

15ish more weeks!

If it's corrected in the Clincheck, the tooth should be corrected by the end, or mostly corrected. If it's not to your liking by then, since you're going to be done so quickly, you could have a couple of refinements and not feel a thing.
Awesome, that's great to hear! Thanks!!
Wow. Looking good. You've come along way and I can see improvement on the bottom. My bottom teeth were similar to yours and it seemed liked one day they just 'popped' into place...ok, not really 'popped' but you know what I mean. If not, a few extra trays on the bottom won't add any time, since you'll still be working on the top. I had less trays on the bottom also.

And now... My Clincheck Videos =)

I've got the 3 following videos:

(i) Bottom
(ii) Top
(iii) Full

I dont think it's possible to get the 3D movable one. What do you all think?! Woo hooooo.

Well that didnt work... clincheck video upload, take 2

Top - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4FDYJX-m5T4

Bottom - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hHTYHWV3Kh8&feature=youtu.be

Full - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y-CMIdF06yE&feature=youtu.be

You need some help with your videos?
Hahah clearly. What did I do wrong?
You're posting links instead of using the embed code.  On your youtube page, there is a section where it says "share this video".  Click on the one next to that, where it says "Embed".  I tried to cut and paste the embed code here but it just embedded the video instead.  :)  But you can just copy that code and when you do your update, you click the add video button and paste that code in the window that pops up.  Click the add video button again, and use the code for the next video.  Until you've done all three.

Alternatively, I can do it for you ;).

One more try - Embedding Clinchecks!

Haha, sweet, just did it!! Thank you =)

Tray 11 of 25 - big update

So I went to the dentist today, after 4 weeks. He did a check on everything and said everything was tracking perfectly. I was really happy to hear that, and that the Acceledent was doing its job. However, for some reason, with this Tray 11, he wants me to keep it in for 2 weeks, for some reason. He said he thought an area on the top could use a little more, and he said it would be better if I did that. So Tray 11 for 2 weeks, then back to 1 week a piece.

It turns out that I'm on my FINAL bottom tray too!!! That was a pleasant surprise, I suppose! I had no idea, I was expecting a few more bottom trays, but nope. So although that one tooth still sticks outs, I guess it's gonna be golden after this one? Cantttt wait!!! So I guess wearing this final tray for an extra week would really really solidify the bottoms. I guess I can't complain about this at all. It's fine with me. I also learned that even though there are no more trays after this one, I'll still be wearing a clear plastic tray to keep them in place.

Whereas that's all good news, I did receive some not so great news. First, that issue that I raised up some time ago, where the vertical lines of my top and bottom teeth dont line up - well, they arent going to. Even though the Clincheck shows they would, they actually started off lined up, so I'm not sure what went wrong there. The dentist said when I bite down, the teeth line up perfectly, but when I go edge-to-edge, my jaw kinda moves, and that its not correctable, not even with refinement trays. That's a slight bummer to me, but it won't get me down at all....I think my teeth will still look fabulous.

That's all I've got for now - I've uploaded the pics from just prior to Tray 11. What do you all think? Any improvements?

Number of people that noticed I'm wearing invisalign - ONE (asterisk!)

First of all, thank for so much for generously sharing your weekly progress. I just had an appointment with a new dentist who is also an ortho, and he recommended Invisalign to correct an overbite. I've been blessed with perfectly straight teeth (top and bottom) my whole life so was shocked to hear someone suggest that I needed "braces". Part of me wonders if this isn't a money grab - he quoted me $5,300. I'm in northern NJ area (suburb of NY - like you), so I would expect comparable price. Does your price $4,500 include all follow up visits? There have to be huge profit margins in this business for there to be such a price discrepancy. At this cost, I'm looking into a second opinion. I'm just starting this research journey, and never realized the sacrifice this takes. Right now, I drink coffee and snack all day at my desk. I guess that would have to stop (maybe not such a bad thing to lose a few pounds). Also, never realized there was so much discomfort. I have to say, your progress looks great. I'll be watching for updates. Thanks again.
Thanks Larry! I'm happy people are finding this helpful, thats what my motivation was. When I was considering Invisalign, I couldnt find any legit reviews anywhere! I did A LOT of youtube searches for people that would discuss their invisalign, but it wasnt ideal for me, and it wasnt updated frequently (more like once ever 3 months). My friend's friend had Invisalign and used to update this site, that's how I stumbled upon it. Although she was also one of the people that updated sparingly, I found this to be a decent site, and then decided [for really my own personal tracking] that I would updated once a week. So... happy to help! With regards to your pricing issue - yes, get a second opinion. I'm not sure if theres a cost for follow ups... dentist didnt mention anything about that, but regardless, my teeth were bad, and 4500 was fair to me. If your teeth are straight, 5300 sounds a bit much.
I see a big difference in your bottom arch, even though I cannot believe it myself.  I just don't get how everything is moving so fast--how a little vibrator can make it all move so fast.  It's like magic.  But the proof is in the pictures!

Anyway, with that rate of movement, I can definitely see you being done after that final bottom aligner.

As for your midline issue, you are not alone.  Check this out:

That's me.  Left side is regular bite.  Right side is my edge-to-edge…midline discrepancy.  I also have TMJ disorder so I'm used to that my jaw goes side to side a lot when I open my mouth.  Anyway, hang in there.  And keep wearing that bottom aligner full-time so everything sets!

Tray 12!!!

Sorry this is a day late.. I've been really busy. I popped in Tray 12 last night, even though the dentist wanted me to wear Tray 11 for 2 weeks. When he told me that, it didn't seem like he had any real basis, so I went ahead and put them in. I'll double up on a later tray or just change my next appointment to a sooner date.

Anyways, I took pics of teeth just prior to putting them in. The bottom trays are done (although I still have to put trays in), and I can't say I'm totally happy with them though :( I dont know what more I can do... There is a weird gap between the bottom front teeth, and this gap gets smaller and wider as it pleases.... its weird!!! It seems like the gums in that area arent sure if they should rise or stay on the bottom. I did notice this before and asked my dentist about it, and he said thats how it's gonna be =(.... they may put some bonding in between, but meh.....

anyways, top trays till have a lotttt of time left, so hopefully the final product looks good. I constantly remind myself I'm not even halfway home yet... but to top it off on a good note:

Number of people that noticed I'm wearing invisalign - ONE (asterisk!)

They call that gap the dreaded "black triangle!" I have it in the same place. If you wanted to do refinements, your dentist could do a little IPR and then scoot the teeth together with the refinements - but that's a question to pose to him! The bottom arch is looking great - just need to do a little touch up to even out the edges and you are good to go! Looking good!
Wow the little black triangle...hhaha so it's fairly common and I'm not a freak? I love the advice, I will def ask him about the IPR. What does IPR stand for so I know what I'm asking for? :)
Yes, I agree with mlb: looks like black triangles. They can happen, especially with adults, when you straighten out crooked teeth. They're usually masked with IPR (Interproximal Reduction, which is filing/sanding between the teeth so they can be moved closer together) or bonding. Your teeth look great in the first picture. :)

Question on teeth movement

So this may be a dumb question because I know all your answers are gonna be "keep your trays in" but whatever...

I'm in tray 12, and bottom trays are done. However, my bottom teeth shift back to crooked if I leave my tray out for too long. I would think that since bottom trays are done, those teeth would be the most secure, but they're not.

For example, tonight I regret to inform that I had my trays out for about 4 hours tonight. I know, bad boy. When I popped them back in, the bottom tooth shifted. No other tooth in my mouth shifts, so why does the bottom tooth? Tomorrow morning it will be straight again, so WHYYY!? I took a pic of it.

"I would think that since bottom trays are done, those teeth would be the most secure, but they're not."...Interesting thing is, the most secure position for those teeth is the position they were in prior to your starting treatment. If you think about it, that's the position they were in for decades, and they are going to want to go back to that, unless you train them otherwise by keeping them in a stable position with the trays or retainers. Your teeth have only been in their new position for a few weeks, so they're not stable there yet. It takes months and years to stablize... orthodontic relapse is extremely common, and lower incisors especially so...you don't want to waste time and money by becoming too liberal with your tray wearing.
Makes total sense. Meh. Haha you're a great path to becoming a dentist!
This is the part where we remind you that your teeth aren't settled yet, unfortunately.  Right now, your teeth are loose because they've been shifting during your treatment, which was the point.  The bone has been remodeling along the way.  It is, however, possible that it may even take a little longer for things to settle since your treatment went so fast.  There isn't much research on AcceleDent.

But, even aside from that.  Doctors generally require that orthodontic patients wear their retainers full-time for six months after treatment.  The bone needs time to finish remodeling, the teeth need time to firm up in their new positions.  You just can't skip this step or you'll lose your results.  At least the attachments are removed for that stage, though!

TRAY 13 OF 25 - OFFICIALLY OVER 50%

Yesssssss. Tray 13. 52% done. This is great.

Tray 12 felt very long, even though it was just a week. Im not sure why, think I'm starting to get a bit impatient with them. But progress is great. I dont have many stories to tell (I think because I posted mid-Tray 12 lol).....I just want my bottom tooth to stay perfect... stop moving little fella! Cant wait for a retainer there. I'm also hoping my top starts to pushing inwards like the Invisalign videos show. I'm not sure when that process begins. I think my top front four teeth still have some straightening do still, but it's getting there. Pics are of course uploaded for just before this tray.

Number of people that noticed I'm wearing invisalign - ONE (asterisk!)

Thank you so much for sharing your process! I'm on my third tray out of 23, and I'm going to college in the fall and was hoping I could be done sooner than December/January (if I'm lucky). I have a couple of questions for you that could really help me! Did you see an orthodontist or dentist? And also, when you asked about acceledent, was your dentist/orthodontist very open to the idea? I really want to ask mine but I'm worried he'll brush it off like he has with my other concerns, like how well my upper right canine will rotate. Did he mention acceledent previously to you asking about it or were you the one to get the ball rolling? Thanks so much! I think acceledent would help me so much but I'm afraid to ask!
Hi there. You're so lucky you're only just starting college. Haha you're going to be fine. You should def not feel weird asking your dentist about acceledent. I was very assertive about it and asked him straight up what the deal was with it. Amazingly, he had not previously heard about it, so I in fact introduced it to him. I made sure he did his medical research first, but agreed it would be fine. In a way these things help the dentists business because there's less work for them and attracts more patients to do the invisalign! I say go for it and ask him about it right away. Can't hurt. Good luck!
Thanks so much!

Tray 14!

Hello everyone! Just my weekly update... moved up to Tray 14 tonight!

I took many pics of my teeth, more so than usual. I'm not sure what it is, but I'm not loving my bottoms! :( and since the trays on the bottom are technically done, what do I do? I'm not sure why I dont love the bottoms. They are def straight (unless that one bastard tooth feels like taking a quick talk), but I feel like my Lower Cuspids are just weird.... all of its just weird. Am I crazy or do others see that too?

Tray 14 - Signature Tagline

Whooops, almost forgot.

Number of people that noticed I'm wearing invisalign - ONE (asterisk!)

Hey there, So I'm a newbie from Australia! Have had tray 1 in for 6 days. I find your posts very amusing, especially the one about going out/being intimate. First day i got my buttons and 1st tray i went out and played poker and had six beers. Intimacy on day 2 not a problem ;) In Australia most orthos want you to use acceledent so its easy to come by. I start mine on week six/tray 3. Then change trays weekly. I have 23 trays in total and will be posting my progress. Keep up the interesting reads! Cheers
Lol anytime! Glad they're helpful. Yes I try to make these posts as interesting as possible because there's nothing fun about braces! Post some pics of your teeth!
No fun at all! LOL! I've written a review and posted pics so just waiting for it to be reviewed and published....keep posted :)

TRAY 15/25, a dental follow up, and a ton of IPR Shavings

Went to the dentist today, had an hour long appointment, follow up, etc. I got a ton of shavings today (IPR), all over my top teeth it felt like. They're kinda visible, but not really. This is pretty much entering the latter stages of my treatment though!!! Awesome. I took pics of the teeth after the shavings were done, just putting in Tray 15. Dentist said I'm tracking well, but wants me to wear Tray 15 for 2 weeks (he told me to do that on Tray 14 but I didn't, lol). This time I will.

I mentioned my beef with the black triangle, and he recommended some bonding when the treatment is done. He said IPR there will require a lot of shaving and that it wasnt a great idea.

He gave me Trays 15-18, said I'm tracking well, and I'll see him again in 5 weeks!

Number of people that noticed I'm wearing invisalign - ONE (asterisk!)

I Seriously still struggle to kiss my boyfriend, it just feels weird haha and I feel so much more slobbery. Crooky24 i'm from Melbourne AUS!!
Brosegr, you poor bugger! Glad to see another AUSSIE :)
Although my dentist didn't mention this either, from the research I've done they suggest you try to wear them like you would invisalign for 3-4 months. It may be longer for you though due to acceledent because your teeth moved so fast. I have also heard that you should slowly decrease the amount of hours you wear them for because if you switch from 22 hours to only 7-9 a day then your teeth can shift. I hope this helps and I also wish my dentist had made this clear because if I hadn't done my own research I may have found myself with poor results in the future, which would suck for anyone who has come this far.

Question on Changing Trays 15 through 18

hey everybody, so as most of you know, i generally post an update with pics every Wednesday, this is an obligatory post. however, this wednesday night, i wont be changing from tray 15 to tray 16 :( my dentist wanted me to leave this tray in a little longer because there was spacing in two of the teeth. he said to leave it in for an extra week, and then resume back to 1 tray per week (so next wednesday, tray 16).

I was wondering if i could alter this plan a bit. I saw my dentist last week, and my next visit will be 5 weeks from last week, so 35 days. instead of doubling up on tray 15, and resuming to tray 16, 17, and 18 at once a week, I think it would be better and smarter to change these next trays every 9 or 10 days, so they are equally dispersed throughout the 35 days. Remember, I am using Accedelent, so having one tray in for 2 weeks is really like a month! Plus tray 15 feels perfect now, I dont think I'll get much for another week.

What are your thoughts on this? Basically I want to change my schedule as follows:

Tray 15 = April 9 (9 days)
Tray 16 = April 18 (9 days)
Tray 17 = April 27 (9 days)
Tray 18 = May 5 (8 days)
Tray 19 = May 14 (9 days)

Do you feel uncomfortable asking your doctor to change the schedule in this way?

Remember that not all trays do the same amount of movement, and that some teeth are more difficult to move and some directions are more difficult to move teeth in. So evening out trays may or may not give you a better result.  None of us who follow you here are professionals.  But if you did want to ask a professional other than your doctor, you could try the Q&A forum (where doctors answer your question).  It may take 3-7 days to get an answer.

Generally, I'd say that your doctor knows your teeth best, and that you are paying your doctor to give you the best treatment possible.  If you tell him about your tray being loose already and tell him your concerns, he should be willing to talk to you--give you his reasoning, work with you on your scheduling if appropriate.  Your question is perfectly valid, so I wouldn't be embarrassed to ask him.
I think you're right. I didnt feel uncomfortable asking my dentist, although I probably should. I'm just excited and always in a rush to move onto the next one!!! Haha, that's all it is. When my dentist says these things, I feel like it's arbitrary. Its not like he took a measurement of it and calculated it needs 1 more week. I'm sure a few days are required, but 2 days vs 7 days... I dont know. Then again, I'm not a dentist. I'll just leave them in for another week... no biggie.
I still think your question is valid :D, but longer in the trays certainly won't give you a worse result :).

Tray 16! I'm back!

Woo hoo! Tray 15's 2 weeks felt like forever!!!! I finally am on tray 16. The spacing in my teeth from IPR is still there but even I don't notice it at all. I think the teeth still have work left so I'm hoping this tray does it! Attached are pics.

Number of people that noticed I'm wearing invisalign - one (asterisk)

Congratulations on getting out of that aligner! :).  I wonder if the space is needed for as they continue to push your teeth back.  But you look great--it's still exciting to see your progress!
Thanks!! Yea I love seeing my progress too. It gives me hope. 16-25 left, 10 weeks, looking at the end of June!!! Omgggg ;)
LOL!

Tray 17 and Pics!

Moved onto Tray 17 tonight, feels great!! I just realized my Tray 16 pics never loaded, I'm not sure why... I thought they did. Meh. I do have them.

I have uploaded pics here for this one though. One question - when my teeth are edge to edge, are my other supposed to touch? They dont and I dont think they will..?

Tray 17 Tagline

Number of people that noticed I'm wearing invisalign - one (asterisk)

LUCKY! I only have 20 trays but I've had invisalign for over a year and a half now (maybe longer? idk) because I have to wait THREE weeks to change mine out! I wish I was on a weekly basis like you!!! And my teeth were hardly messed up. Maybe he just wanted to milk more money out of me? Haha who knows!!
You could ask your doctor about AcceleDent--it may not be worth it at this stage, since I don't know how many trays you have left.  FTF24 wasn't changing trays as fast in the beginning, certainly.  Three weeks is unusual, but not unheard-of--I looked to see if you had a review so I could see what the reasoning was behind it but you have no Invisalign review!

Tray 18/25!! 72%!

Yayyy, just put in Tray 18! Lovinnnnnn it. My teeth are starting to look good... I can feel it! The IPR gaps are still there, so hoping those close off soon. Tray 17 was painful when removing for about 5 of the 7 days, then eased off. Tray 18 feels good, but it's definitely tight... I figure it'll be similar to Tray 18. Attached are my pics just before I put them in.

Number of people that noticed I'm wearing invisalign - one (asterisk)

Argh!  Pictures too small for my old, tired eyes to see this time.  But your teeth are white for sure! :D ;)  Looking great!
Do you have any discomfort of your chewing capacity after tray 7 ? Cuz I'm suffering teeth tenderness pretty badly , can't eat hard food at all. Anyone has the same experience ?
Do you ever feel funning of eating hard food after tray 6 ? Cuz i am suffering teeth tendeness pretty badly . Anyone has the same feeling ?

Movin on up to Tray 19!!!

Wow, that felt like the longest week ever with Tray 18. I legit asked myself if I had posted my Tray 18 update because it feels so long ago. Alas, just 7 long days.

I went to the dentist today for my monthly checkup. Everything looks great he said!!! He popped in Tray 19, and I must say, it feels so seamless, feels like it's still just Tray 18. Very comfortable, I'm glad.

Tray 17 was PAINFUL for some reason, for the first few days. Tray 18 was less painful, kinda normal. But this Tray 19 I dont even feel it. Is that a good thing?!

Attached are pics before popping in Tray 19... ohhhh almost there!

Damn tagline... Tray 19.

Number of people that noticed I'm wearing invisalign - one (asterisk)

I guess you are my mentor as our teeth resemble one another (beginning stage)> I just go my clincheck and - like you - all of my attachements are on the side teeth (16 in all) to resolve crowding. I have no attachments on front teeth. B/C of this site i also have acceledent - which my ortho relly was not too keen on; but I insisted. I ampaying over 30 months and have 35 trays. maybe he did not want me to finish treatment in 35 weeks (assuming no refinements) and still have over 2 years of payments left!!!!
Lookin good! I randomly had painful trays too. I think one or two trays that were focused on my back teeth hurt the most the first 2 days I put them in. Other than that I really didn't have any pain for any of my trays. Nor did people really notice I had them in...at least no one said anything. The only time I got a comment was when I had my bands on. That's great that you can move through trays so quickly! I had 24 trays as well and it took a year
Maybe you'll feel it tomorrow?  Unless it's not doing anything at all, I don't see why you wouldn't feel it at all.  Maybe it's just teeth that you don't notice much?  Although I would think that at this point they should be working on pushing your upper arch backward.  Are your IPR gaps gone yet?

Delayed Post!!! Tray 20 of 25!!!!!!

Put in tray 20/25 on Wednesday night...80%!!! Omg wow! Almost done!! Attached are pics of just before putting them in last night. I still think my right front tooth needs to be pushed in more and be in line; it still juts out a lil bit.

Lockjaw problem!!! I am now way too easily able to put my bottom teeth ok front of my top teeth. It's weird and it hurts. It doesn't happen on it's own but it's way too easy and I'm afraid of it slipping. What do I do!?

Number of people that notice I'm wearing invisalign: TWO!!! I got busted this morning by a girl I'm seeing. She didn't mind, actually was really REALLY envious because her teeth are not perfect at all. And I think I convinced her to do it! This shit is coming full circle! 4 more weeksss for me!

Congrats!!!  I agree on your right front tooth, now that you brought my attention to it :).

I don't understand about the lockjaw thing, though?  I can put my bottom jaw in front of my top jaw, too--that's totally normal.  I don't know what you mean by slipping?  Is it because it's painful that you're concerned?  Sorry--it always feels like I'm asking for clarification :D.

But your smile is looking fantastic!!!  And seriously, that is the way you want to get noticed--for having such amazing teeth that people want to do what you're doing ;).  Someone just noticed my teeth last night--both parents are dentists so he's scarred for life ;).  He told me a story, where his mom threw a Playboy magazine on the table one night to his dad and asked, "What do you think?"  And the dad answered, "Midline's off, slight overbite, needs a new crown, nice tits."  I fear that that is what Invisalign does to us, too, when we get it in adulthood :D.
Hahaha, I just saw this comment, I'm sorry I've been slow. Actually - this website hasn't been working well on my phone anymore, which is why I've been delayed. What happened?? I still need to post last Wednesdays Tray 21 + pics! And then tomorrow night's Tray 22s.
I'm someone's mentor? That makes me so happy!

Another Delayed Post! Tray 21 of 25!!

OHHH the finish line is SOOOOO close!!! Last Wednesday, I put in Tray 21 of 25 (and I think tomorrow I'll be putting in Tray 22!). This tray felt fine, so I have nothing really to say, except check out my pics! How are they looking??!

Acceledent question - so yesterday, my Acceledent STOPPED WORKING! I called customer service and they are fedexing me a new one right away, within 2 days, but this means I will miss about 2-3 days of Acceledent. What should I do??? Continue wearing trays as normal or delay changing by a day or two? Meh. Why'd this happen all of a sudden?

Number of people that notice I'm wearing invisalign: TWO!!!

Can you tell me specifically what's been going wrong?  In order to submit bugs it needs to be reproducible, so if you can tell me what's not working I can submit a list :).  I also need to know what kind of phone you're using :D.

Tray 22 of 25

Yea, I'm super late on this, so it's just going to be pics to show the progression.

Tray 23 of 25!!!

Just popped in Tray 23, so close to the end. What happens when I'm all done? Can I get some details on the retainer I have to wear? How long do I wear it for throughout the day, and for how long in terms of months?

your tooth has been excellent. I'm very jealous.

Tray 24!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! SOOOO CLOSE

AHHHHHHH. IT FEELS SO SURREAL!!!! I'M SOOOOO CLOSE TO THE END!

Tray 24 hurt like a b**** at first, but it's good now. I am also (I think) seeing that my midline between my teeth MAY actually be lining up?!?!?

Whats the post invisalign care like? Retainers I know, but how long do you have to wear them etc?

Generally, retainers are full-time, just like Invisalign, for six months.  After that, you go to part-time wear--usually just for sleeping but for some it's more.  I know, not exactly what one wants to hear.  I don't know if AcceleDent makes any different in all that.  Some are more lax, but some have less robust results as well.
A year later I'm still wearing my retainers about 8-10 hours...at night. They feel snug when I put them in, so I'm afraid to NOT wear them. But I tend to grind my teeth at times, so I don't mind having them in.

TRAY 25 OF 25!!! THE LAST TRAYYYY!!!!!

this is surreal! i'm actually on the final tray. they feel good, they look good. July 8 is my next dentist appointment which will remove the attachments and do whatever else they do!!! we discussed refinement trays to see if anything will be needed, so i'll keep you posted on that. but i SURE hope they are off fully on july 8! pics are attached of my teeth just prior to putting in the tray 25.

Looking great!  I can't wait to see them without the attachments :D!!!
I'm a couple of years out and I wear mine at least 8-10 hours/night :D.  And they're still snug when I put them in as well.  I expect it'll be like that forever!
I guess misery likes company LOL so I'm glad I'm not the only one. I'm picking up a new retainer from ortho tomorrow that I insisted on getting from Invisalign. The retainer the ortho gave me, well, let's just say I saw my teeth rotating and I didn't like it. Went back to wearing the last ligner and my teeth straightened back out in a few weeks. Ortho tried to tell me his retainer wouldn't do that, but I showed him it did. Then I was told it was because I wasn't wearing it enough...hello, I was wearing it at the time 12-15 hours a day!! I tried to tell him it felt way too loose, which of course he said was fine. So, new retainer matches last ligner from Invisalign, so hopefully I won't have a problem. We'll see in a couple months. FTF24--I can't believe you are almost done!!! Your smile looks awesome!! Wow!! Good luck on the 8th. Now...just stay with it, wearing the retainers.

Tomorrow is the day!!! I remove Invisalign tomorrow!

Assuming the dentist says all is well, the attachments etc come off tomorrow!!! Holy s***!!! I am so excited. WELL WORTH IT.

Attached are pics of my teeth tonight, the night before removing everything. I will update again tomorrow with pics of my teeth without anything =D

oh, wow, impressive!!!.. i'm on tray 2.. and seeing your result, now i'm convinced that invisalign will also works with my case.. LOL.. congrats.. do you have to wear refinements? my dentist anticipated me with refinements and retainer..
Your teeth look amazing;) I'm just starting my treatment on day 4 and hope that I get similar results. Great updates!
Astounding. You look great. How was sleeping? Did this help with any jaw/grinding pain? Was the treatment cheaper because you only needed six months?
Morris Chimon