Early 20s, Labiaplasty - New York, NY

I was always self conscious about my inner labia,...

I was always self conscious about my inner labia, starting at puberty and continuing on to high-school and college and those dreaded "beef curtain" comments. I heard about labiaplasty a few years ago and finally got the nerve to ask my gyno about it at my last routine annual exam. He said he'd made notes about my protruding inner labia at past exams, said He'd probably use the wedge method and that my insurance would probably cover it. Once he confirmed that my insurance would cover it, I went ahead and scheduled the appointment.
I had the surgery on a Friday morning, expecting to take that day off and be back to work on Monday. (I happened to switch jobs in the mean time and was able to schedule the full following week off - thank god!) I woke up from the procedure in excruciating pain and was given two extra vials of morphine. I was written a script for six percocets, which I've been alternating with three ibuprofen. Im also alternating ice packs and sits baths. The pain is consistently at a stinging and sore 3 out of 10.
My biggest concern is the redness at the perenium, between the back of the vagina and the anus. I'm also a little worried that he took off too much on the right side and that ill look even more uneven when I'm heeled. Plus it looks like the vagina opening is bigger now than it was before - is that a possibility?!
I'm not saying I regret the surgery- I'm just anxious for the swelling to go down to see what it will look like.
And does anyone have any advice on how to soothe the redness at the perenium?!?!

Day 6

Some swelling has gone down. I've been using baby wipes to rub away the dead skin after sits baths and showers, then blow drying with it set on cool, then applying desitin to the perennium and between my cheeks.
I'm still not in love with the way the right side (on me) pokes out or the way the clit hood pokes out on my left, almost like it's disconnected from the rest of the lip.
The left lip is tucked in and it's painful to pull out so I don't bother .
Also not in love with the way the vaginal opening closes near the perenium.
Only time and healing will tell.

Day 11

The pain has subsided quite a bit, I'm still taking ibuprofen every 4ish hours, but my vag doesn't start to throb right on the 4hour mark.

I'm itchy, which is kind of annoying. The stitches are starting to come out and the scabs are forming.

First day back in a thong! Which I actually think feels better. Bc it applies constant pressure on my lips and keeps between my cheeks (where I had a rash) from rubbing together.

Day 12 - infection?!

Just when I thought I was in the clear, the left lip looks like the sutures came all the way out and aren't holding the incision open anymore.
I'm having chunky discharge from the wound like in the attached photo. This was taken right after a bath.
My doctor told me to clean with hydrogen peroxide and apply bacitracin twice tonight and again in the morning, and call him to get an appointment tomorrow if things aren't looking better by then.

Day 13

Not infected, just part of the healing process. Right side is almost healed. Left side might need a revision once it is done healing :/

Day 18

Almost no pain. Still a little itchy from the diaper rash but not too bad. Got my period today and I've used tampons, which isn't too uncomfortable.

Three weeks

Three weeks post op as of tomorrow morning. I took two ibuprofen this morning after I put my first tampon in, but that was all I needed for the day. Itchiness has gone down a lot. I can sit, walk, everything normally.
I have my scheduled follow up on Monday, I think my stitches are pretty much all gone - hopefully I'll be able to shave down there and I'll be cleared to start working out again.
It's not as scary looking as it was at one point. It's not the most beautiful thing either. I'm glad to not have the excess skin slipping out the sides of thongs or bulging in bikinis. We'll see how soon I feel like sharing this new V with a sexual partner to determine if intercourse has improved, too.
I'll definitely spend a lot of time thinking before I go for a left labia revision in six or so months.
All in all, glad the worst is over.

4 weeks

As of tomorrow I am officially 4 weeks out. I had a check up on Monday and my doctor said I was 90% healed. My stitches are all dissolved so I shaved again tonight (yay!) and started doing some light exercising this week (no labia bulge in yoga pants :D) I'm basically back to normal - no pain meds, walking, sitting, etc. no problem. The only time I ever notice it at all is when I wipe after peeing. My Dr. said I should still try to wait a month before having sex, which is totally fine by me, I didn't even bring up the question at the appointment bc I'm just not in a place in my life where I'm having sex right now.
I'm pleased with the results, but I am hoping that there is still some swelling that will go down. On my right side (left in the pics) there's a little flap of skin near the top that's kind of hard with scar tissue that I'm not totally in love with and on my left side (right in the pics) there's a flap of skin towards the middle that just seems unnatural and cut. Back towards the perennium it looks kinda like it was cut apart and sewn together, which I guess it was, so what should I expect? We decided we would discuss a revision if I feel I need one at my next annual exam.
Here's hoping sex feels even better and I'm not self conscious with new partners!

Four weeks

One thing I forgot to mention, the recovery at first was MUCH more intense than I anticipated. I would recommend at least 5 days off (getting it done on a Wednesday and returning to work on a Monday) if that's possible for your situation.

7.5 weeks

It's been 7.5 weeks since the procedure. Everything is basically healed and I'm quite happy with the results, finally. It's not perfect, but I'm not sure how you'd determine a vagina is "perfect" anyway. Looking at the before pictures, I'm filled with confidence about how the trimmed labia look and feel.
I got the insurance bill. The procedure was about $2500, so i updated the cost in my info. (I paid a $100 copay). Totally worth it. Just wish I'd had it done sooner in life.

7.5 weeks pictures

2 months to the day

Two month pics

9.5 weeks

I finally had sex post-labiaplasty. It was great! Didn't hurt at all, he didn't seem to notice that my labia wasn't natural and I wasn't self conscious about it :)

Before & After