Discount Liposuction in NYC... It's Real - New York, NY

How was it so cheap? Mount Sinai hospital offers...

How was it so cheap?

Mount Sinai hospital offers liposuction of one section for 2800 (full stomach is one section, any pair is one section like both arms or both love handles). The caveat of this awesome deal is that the procedure is being done by students. Now, these students are certified doctors and surgeons who went back to school to be plastic surgeons. They need a live body to "practice" on. Scary, I know. Mt sinai charges 50 dollars for a consultation and if you get it done, you pay them another 800 for fees and what not, the other 2000 goes to the supervising experienced plastic surgeon.

What was the experience like?

The office where the liposuction takes place is nice and upscale, large and not crowded at all. My arrival time was 830am, and I was being prepped by 845. While I was being prepped, there were a lot of people in the room . The supervising surgeon, the two surgeons in training, a nurse practitioner, and two assistants. Other than the supervising surgeon, only one of the assistant seemed like she knew exactly what she was doing. Everyone else was learning and it felt like the lesson was the most important part of the day, not my concerns as a patient.

How was the actual surgery?

PAINFUL! But I am pretty sure that is normal. The apparatus used to suck out the fat is about a foot long, and the thickness if a skinny pen. The same apparatus is what sprays the anesthesia in the beginning. Before I was numb at all, the doctor has to take that long stick and push it all through my stomach fat while distributing the anesthesia. This lasted about 3 minutes (180 seconds) and it was truly excruciating, I cried my eyes out! After that, I was about 80% numb. Most of the procedure, I couldn't feel, but some places toward my sides were burning as the procedure went on and I seemed to get more sensitive toward the end.

Did the student doctors know what they were doing?

During the preparation they did not know where the incisions should go, which is a pretty standard thing in stomach liposuction. That scared me, so I asked them if this was their first time. They said no, but during the procedure, the supervising surgeon often told them "their strokes are too short" or they "are going too superficial" amongst other directions. At the end of every section, the supervising doctor went behind them and finished it up to make sure everything was right. When they were finished, the doctor told me that they removed 3 pounds of pure fat. This irritated me, because I weigh 193 and my sister (whose body is similar to mine) had her back done, removing 7 pounds of pure fat. I said out loud "I still look fat". The assistant responded with " you are swelling, and there is still a lot of tumescent fluid inside

How did you feel after?

Immediately after, the two assistants helped my put on the compression garment, and they gave me a little take home package. I was still numb from the anesthesia. I walked out of the office and to the parking deck two blocks away with no problem. I came home and slept for 4 hours. Woke up and walked around my house a little, starting to feel pain at this point but not too bad. Throughout the first day, I probably leaked about a pint of tumescent fluid/blood. I slept in my compression garment and will not take it off until tomorrow afternoon.

Day 2

I have been taking codeine and I wake up every five hours, so I couldn't sleep through last night. I haven't taken my garment off yet. Pain on a scale from 0-10 is a 3. No pain at all if I'm standing. A little pain if I am sitting, and level 3 pain when I touch my stomach for a very like massage. I'm also on codeine right now. I think I am starting to swell as my garment feels tighter and my lower stomach looks rounder. I am not leaking tumescent fluid anymore. I will update pictures after my shower.

I thought Bruce Katz was a dermatologist not a plastic surgeon. Was he the acting supervisor?
He is a dermatologist, and he was the acting supervisor. Oddly, his experience in plastic surgery, not his gives him the authority to teach people who are going to school to be plastic surgeons.
*his experience, not his education

2nd day after surgery

I went to red lobster today, then went to the movies. Can't eat much, but I think that's because of the restrictive garment. Standing from a seated position is the real doozie, but while I'm sitting or while I'm standing is fine. Don't need pain pills, 300/30mg acetaminophen/codeine is pretty weak anyway. My stomach is puffier at the bottom, so I also bought a panty style compression garment today. I was using a vest style. The vest is annoying because it rolls up in the back. I do see some difference from before my surgery, but not the difference I wanted to see. As of right now, my stomach looks the same size but flat in shape. I hope that changes. My pubic area is a little swollen, so I'm sure my stomach is too. I'm hoping that week 4 will bring a beyonce style flat stomach. Again my doctor only took out about 1000cc's of fat. About 800cc of tumescent removed. I looked at it before I walked out of surgery. Well, I'll keep updating as things progress or change

I went for a consultation there last month and was interested in doing a procedure there, now I'm unsure please update again, thanks for sharing your experience.
hope all is well.
Thank you for your kind words about Dr. Katz. We are glad that your recovery is proceeding smoothly. We are surprised, however, by the comments regarding the student doctors. As you, yourself, have alluded to, Mount Sinai is a teaching hospital. Student doctors (residents or Fellows) learn the most advanced procedures and tactics in their chosen specialties by treating real patients. Residents are always supervised by an experienced surgeon during surgical procedures. Patients still benefit from the expertise of the supervising surgeon, as well as a highly-discounted price of the procedure, and the residents gain first-hand experience in the specialized area of training they are pursuing. In a medical teaching program, the operating room is used as a classroom for residents, with the supervising surgeon acting as an instructor. The goals of a surgical procedure in a teaching program are two-fold: 1) deliver the medical treatment the patient requires, and 2) provide an opportunity for residents to learn and practice a new procedure or surgical technique. As such, during your procedure Dr. Katz spent a majority of the time providing instructions to the residents. All patients undergoing surgical treatment by residents sign a consent form acknowledging this fact. The option to participate in a medical teaching program is a choice that patients make individually. Patients participating in a teaching program are not in any greater danger than patients undergoing treatment in more conventional environments. However, it is important to remember that individuals who are uncomfortable with the teaching/learning aspect of their treatment have numerous alternative provider options. We hope the above addresses some of the concerns you expressed in your review. If you have any further questions or concerns, please feel free to contact our office.
New York Dermatologic Surgeon

Dr Katz is well known and has been in the beauty surgery field for a long time; though this is good, he spoke to everyone else about me as if I was not in the room and forgot to ask me if I had any questions or concerns. Katz was nice and confident, the Nurses and assistants were also very confident and knew what they were doing, but the fellows scared the hell out of me. They acted as if they had never done a liposuction procedure before. Didn't even know how to mark me or where the incisions should go, and when I asked them questions, they smiled and said "it's ok" as if they were not fluent English speakers and didn't know what I was asking.