Not Sure if the Damon System is Superior - New York, NY

Braces straighten teeth, regardless of the system....

Braces straighten teeth, regardless of the system. However, I am not sure Damon works better or faster. In fact, they may be just about equal as far as time for all the difficulty they come with. I was quoted as needing "at least a year" in traditional braces. However, I chose Damon because the estimate was 6-8 months. I have now had Damon braces on for a year and am not quite done, so the time is about even with what was projected for traditional braces. It is difficult to get stubborn teeth to turn, and the brackets pop off very often. I have heard from others that Damon aligns the teeth quickly but is more difficult to tweak the details into place. This has been my experience.
You're welcome. When brackets pop off, there is no danger in it hurting at all. It simply means the glue was not strong enough to sustain the pressure of the wire's pushing and pulling of the teeth, so the bracket breaks off the tooth and needs reapplied. I do not go in for emergency visits because I go in every two weeks anyway. While you're right that we will never know how long traditional braces would have been on, I can say that I have has traditional braces before and did not experience this level of difficulty in getting teeth to move in the directions we want them to. I will try to post a picture of my teeth before to show that they were not very crooked. The extra time with braces is due to the fact that something seems to break every month, usually within 24 hours of a new wire being applied, and every problem adds time to the treatment length.

Thank you so much for reviewing your Damons!  You might be the first non-positive review we have, and it's nice to be able to get a more balanced picture by having both positive and negative reviews.

It's hard to compare via estimates--it's quite possible your "at least a year" in regular braces could have dragged on well past that amount of time as well--one will never know.  But I've never heard of the brackets popping off before.  That's good information!  What was the result when the brackets popped off?  Did it hurt you?  Like, was it dramatic?  Did you have to go in for an emergency visit?

Have you been taking pictures of your progress as you go along?

Also, can you tell us a little bit about what your starting conditions were, and why, for example, you didn't choose Invisalign.

Thanks again!

A Before Picture

Here is a picture of my teeth before braces. They were not very crooked but could use a little straightening. I would not have bothered getting for braces normally but am preparing for orthognathic surgery. Braces had to be applied to perfect the tooth alignment before moving the jaws.
Damon braces don't make time shorter at ALL, this is a lie being told by orthos. My ortho told me the only difference is they do not require bands to hold the arch wire in place. The perk to this is LESS adjustment appointments as the wire will adjust itself as needed, rather than the ortho having to tighten it, and put bands in AGAIN to hold it all in place. Damons are actually easier on the Ortho than the patient, but they are smaller and you don't need a mouth full of rubber so these are perks for adults. Another perk is since the arch wire will expand itself as teeth move is that is can widen your arch without the need for an extender. Any good ortho will tell you they are regular braces and Damon is just a "name brand" for the BRACKETS!!! Don't blame the braces "not working" the results are dependent on who you hired to place them and clearly they did not inform you properly. Shame on them.
Which is EVEN weirder because I just saw we have the SAME ortho! :o lol what a coincidence!
That is a coincidence! Another orthodontist quoted me for a year in braces. The ortho I went with quoted less time and uses Damon. I chose the Damon brand based on online research and the hope that time in braces, pre-op and post-op, would be less. I find the orthodontist to very honest and up front. She's great!
Ingrid Barillas

Very nice doctor who is very willing to make any accommodation for the patient. She understands adults are not completely comfortable having braces and makes every effort to be efficient when it comes to upper braces being on for a minimal amount of time.