Damon Braces in NYC/Brooklyn. Correcting my Overbite, Overjet, and Crooked Teeth. - New York, NY

My front teeth came out last as a child so when...

My front teeth came out last as a child so when the adult teeth came in there was no room and they overlapped. I have always hated my teeth and smiling, but now I am an adult and can afford braces. I just got them put on last week and decided to go the Damon route because I did not want a mouth full of big brackets and rubber bands. My ortho wants to extract 2 healthy upper bicuspids, and I am weary, so we are expanding the arch first and if my teeth do not make movements to straighten we are going to extract. My lower jaw is pretty far back and small compared to my upper arch as well, due to overbite and tongue thrusting overjet. My tongue never had space to rest still, but in a week I already notice that is different. I will post updates and photos after every appointment!

Update #1 Starting month 3

It's going on month 2 and I've had a bit of drama with the braces. I decided to update every other month as there are not many changes yet.
I've had two brackets pop off and I was getting angry thinking shoddy work but my ortho assured me this is normal for some patients and she reattached them. Eating sucks as I am trying to follow all the rules and I have lost 20lbs giving up candy and soda and sweets! So that's a plus. She also says I may not need extractions anymore but I think I will since my front teeth are so far over my lower arch I can't imagine getting them to move back otherwise, but she is taking a wait and see approach. In the mean time she's been using something called IPR to create little gaps in my teeth and told me they can look weird at first but toward the end everything will come together. I hope so becaus my teeth are extremely sore after the IPR and I hope it doesn't make my teeth any more weird shaped. She is very subtle with it though, I like how my teeth are starting to look even though I'm living on ice cream and protein shakes at the moment.
Dr. Ingrid Barillas

I chose this woman as my orthodontist because she was the only one who gave me multiple treatment options for my case with REAL results, she didn't just say everything would work, she told me if I did A. B. or C. what the results would be with each, which would be most cost effective, and which would give me the results I wanted. Her office was also FULL of patients every time I went in there, unlike other offices which were mostly empty. I felt secure knowing this is something she does on a daily basis. Having an office in Brooklyn is also a big plus for me. She also has a wonderful staff as well as a regular dentist on her staff so it has become my one stop place for all my dental needs at the moment since I have no insurance. She is very caring and no nonsense, she doesn't fluff you, she tells you what it is. Only negative is my appoints can go on for a while because she has lots of patients and she makes sure she also sees you, you're not just passed off on the assistants without her checking their work. Although, her assistants are great too :)

Thank you for updating!  Some people just lose brackets--some over and over!  I have no idea what causes it generally, though crowns and other restorations are notorious for being difficult to bond to.  That's not your issue though :).

IPR is very common in Invisalign as well, so I had it done about 3 times.  Generally they take off so little you shouldn't feel it, but you may be a little extra sensitive already because of the movement.  Hopefully it goes away very quickly!
Great to meet you!  Super excited to watch your progress!  My husband had Damon as well, and did it to avoid several extractions, jaw surgery, and expansion.  He had a great result and managed without extractions.  I hope you get a great result!  Thank you for sharing with us and I'll definitely be following you :)
Thanks for your kind comments! Seeing so many awesome results for Damon braces without extractions is why I wanted to go that route, so far so good! :)