Damon Braces in NYC/Brooklyn. Correcting my Overbite, Overjet, and Crooked Teeth. - New York, NY

My front teeth came out last as a child so when...

My front teeth came out last as a child so when the adult teeth came in there was no room and they overlapped. I have always hated my teeth and smiling, but now I am an adult and can afford braces. I just got them put on last week and decided to go the Damon route because I did not want a mouth full of big brackets and rubber bands. My ortho wants to extract 2 healthy upper bicuspids, and I am weary, so we are expanding the arch first and if my teeth do not make movements to straighten we are going to extract. My lower jaw is pretty far back and small compared to my upper arch as well, due to overbite and tongue thrusting overjet. My tongue never had space to rest still, but in a week I already notice that is different. I will post updates and photos after every appointment!

Update #1 Starting month 3

It's going on month 2 and I've had a bit of drama with the braces. I decided to update every other month as there are not many changes yet.
I've had two brackets pop off and I was getting angry thinking shoddy work but my ortho assured me this is normal for some patients and she reattached them. Eating sucks as I am trying to follow all the rules and I have lost 20lbs giving up candy and soda and sweets! So that's a plus. She also says I may not need extractions anymore but I think I will since my front teeth are so far over my lower arch I can't imagine getting them to move back otherwise, but she is taking a wait and see approach. In the mean time she's been using something called IPR to create little gaps in my teeth and told me they can look weird at first but toward the end everything will come together. I hope so becaus my teeth are extremely sore after the IPR and I hope it doesn't make my teeth any more weird shaped. She is very subtle with it though, I like how my teeth are starting to look even though I'm living on ice cream and protein shakes at the moment.

Update 11/20/14 - About to start month 6

Month 5 is coming to a close, and I have my next appointment tomorrow for tightening. My teeth are looking more jacked up as they shift. I hate them more now, but I hope the final outcome will make me forget this awkward stage! My teeth now have gaps but my front tooth is rotating back into place again finally. Dr. Sanchez told me that I would notice different levels of wear and tear on the teeth and at the end they can file everything down evenly, but not to worry so I am not panicked about the ugly look, but I can still hate it right?!

I have not had any extractions yet, there was a risk of flaring teeth without extractions but I am glad they decided to wait and see before extracting first because so far I don't have flaring, but that could change as the front tooth rotates more into place, IDK, but I am glad they do not do needless work or things to make treatment easier for them to do. I am still paying the full rate as of now, but they already assured me they would refund my money if I don't end up needing extractions later. I really like knowing everything so I like that they always tell me. They have a new assistant who has worked on me last time, I always get nervous with assistants, but Dr. B makes sure to check all their work and no issues with loose brackets or wires popping out at all these last 3 months now!

I haven't had a cleaning yet. I don't know when they will do it, but I am guessing keeping on top of my brushing has helped with that part. I do notice its harder to remove plaque from some brackets and once a week or so I go in there with a pick to scrape anything stuck to the brackets, because I am terrified of getting decalcification spots. So far so good! :D

In these photos you will really see the difference!

1/8/15 update

I think it is now Month 7! It's been such a long road, my teeth look worse at the moment and I am hating them. I feel like my smile is slanted (one side tilts upward, the other downward) and some are jutting out even more, and my grinding is worse than ever. This is that depressing stage of braces!!!
They do look more straight though, especially the front ones, but I'm still worried at what my end results will look like since I want a pretty smile, not just nice even teeth if that makes sense.

I had another bracket fall off while I was at work, the brackets popping off make me nervous and weary because they happen randomly! This last time I heard a click, while I was talking to someone, but about 20 minutes later I felt my wire jiggling and saw my cheek was holding the bracket in place. I called the emergency service number and Dr. B fixed it for me the very next day, but her assistant (a different one from last time) tried to say because I was chewing gum it came out. Those types of comments piss me off because I'm living without my favorite foods and snacks for no reason! If they still think I'm eating things I'm not supposed to why should I stop? It happened on the side I can't eat on due to there being a coil and food easily gets caught on it, I'm hoping it was the force of new thick wires.
My next appt, is next week and I'm finally getting my first teeth cleaning since having braces on! I am excited for that oddly enough, but it's so hard keeping teeth clean with braces, I think I may pay for another one or two before the treatment is over, as those white spots I see online are scaring me.

I may not need extractions! I guess we will see, but Dr. B told me she can possibly get the results I want without extractions just using subtle IPR and so far I like their IPR methods as they do keep it subtle and natural looking! I do not want those weird overly round or square teeth I see people with! I was quoted two quotes and took the 2 year extraction route, but the first option was 14 months and no extractions so if I end up with that I was told I will get some of my money back since the treatment time and lack of extractions won't be needed and it's cheaper by like 2-3 grand, so that is a huge plus!

Let's see what happens next.
Dr. Ingrid Barillas

I chose this woman as my orthodontist because she was the only one who gave me multiple treatment options for my case with REAL results, she didn't just say everything would work, she told me if I did A. B. or C. what the results would be with each, which would be most cost effective, and which would give me the results I wanted. Her office was also FULL of patients every time I went in there, unlike other offices which were mostly empty. I felt secure knowing this is something she does on a daily basis. Having an office in Brooklyn is also a big plus for me. She also has a wonderful staff as well as a regular dentist on her staff so it has become my one stop place for all my dental needs at the moment since I have no insurance. She is very caring and no nonsense, she doesn't fluff you, she tells you what it is. Only negative is my appoints can go on for a while because she has lots of patients and she makes sure she also sees you, you're not just passed off on the assistants without her checking their work. Although, her assistants are great too :)