Tomorrow is Surgery Day!!! Excited - New York, NY

Hello friends. I've been wanting to do this for 20...

Hello friends. I've been wanting to do this for 20 years but didn't want to mess up breast feeding etc. i am 44yo and have done everything to relieve back and shoulder pain short of this... got all my letters in order from various docs and therapists and decided on a surgeon and have insurance covering most of it. Tomorrow is the day.
I've stocked the house so my hubby can just re-heat, children off to grandparents for the week and I get to do something just for me...and my back!
What else though do i need to have here for post op besides the meds of course! do i need ice packs? scar lotion...?
thanks so much.

Dr. Carlin Vickery

Early days yet in the recovery but Dr. Vickery and her staff have been terrific. Prompt to pick up the phone and respond to questions etc. Patient with my numerous calls regarding insurance etc... And a wonderful hospital staff backing up the procedure. Again, still early but my experience has been very good with Dr. Vickery.

Looking good!   I know you are feeling amazing:)

Glad to hear you are doing well! Just keep taking it easy. All those wonderful things we get to wear now! How exciting!

That activity will come soon! Sounds like you are doing pretty well and the fact that you are living without pain totally makes all of the down time worth it!
1 month post op for right boob at least! 3 wks post for left nipple. wish i could say all has gone smoothly but a couple of hiccups. No worries though. Will just have to be patient. Still really adore my Doc. and think she's done a fabulous job. My back and shoulder pain is non-existant and my posture is so much better. Clothes fit me properly at last. I wish i could be working out or playing tennis or swimming but that will all have to wait a bit. I am thrilled with the results. Posted some pics.
Warm Regards and Thanks to the group for all the support...
Jlsb98

Glad you are doing so well!
2+ weeks out and i've been doing pretty full days at work. bit of a noodle by evening but i can function! only on Advil now for the discomfort. vertical/under boob scars sealed so i can shower etc... i'm able to space out my 2 advil 3x/day further and further apart and while i am pretty sore in the morning, i'm not incapaable of getting to bathroom first before taking advil. every day better and better. one nipple is further behind than the other as i had to get it stitched up in Dr. Vickery's office a week after surgery, but all is healing well and i'm getting excited to clear out my bra drawer!!!
i am so happy to have gotten this done and so look forward to experiencing the rest of my life NOT as a big-chested woman.
Thank you for all your support.
xoxo
Hi BamaMama! Yes indeed. Crazy because healing-wise one is a week ahead of the other. So I'm getting a preview as it's going. But managed to get off the narcotics last week... Doc said I could start with Advil again so I did. A little nerve wracking transitioning off the meds but managed to keep the days as quiet as possible. Gotta do a half day of work tomorrow after Doc appt. tomorrow but been having fun today trying on previously unwearable halter tops! :-)
Hope you are still healing nicely. Don't do too much too soon! (you can remind me of this next week when I am healing up)
Good morning! Well... Of course I was dreading the whole stitch up and it was a procedure no doubt. Once I got through the lidocaine shots though it all went swimmingly. I nattered on about the weekend and distracted myself while the doc did her work. At the end she was quite pleased with the outcome. Thanks for asking Bama! It was a pretty stressful day and one that I am glad to have behind me. Nice to feel all stitched up.
I actually had to go into work briefly yesterday so I put on my "fancy" surgical bra, some makeup and felt like a normal human being... Back into bed today though! Too much excitement!! Hope all is well with you.
How was stitch up? Need to remember juice! Thanks (and colace too). Hope all is well with you.

So glad to hear you are doing well. Good luck tomorrow!
Hello BamaMama! Update? You got it: Day 6 post surgery. I am beginning to taper off the heavy meds. I'm taking percoset and in the hospital they were giving me 2 every 4hours and I happily kept to that for the first 3 days post. I've seen my Doc 2x this week as she didn't like what one nipple was (or wasn't) doing and released some of the sutures while still in the hospital. So I've gone back twice for her to check up on it and clean and redress the area. Tomorrow I go again and she is planning on stitching me up. The RN there said to take my meds beforehand, so I will walk in there plenty dosed!
I started doing mostly juices post op but then some solids and it has taken 5 days for a bm. I forgot that the meds make you constipated and didn't start the Colace until a couple days post op. but all is well now.
I feel.... really happy for one and proud that I got it done... Had the patience to deal with all the insurance requirements and get this done for my health and well being. It's been a project. I am thrilled with the outcome even though it's all still under wraps. My back and shoulders feel great. I don't feel like I'm carrying around this load in front of me.
I'm alternating frozen peas and corn as ice packs under my arms as my doc did a little lipo as well. So I am black and blue but it will all clear up. My family has been great. And I am lucky in that I don't have to run back to work. I get a few more days.
I'm hoping that the stitch up tomorrow won't be too dramatic and painful but then after its done I can get on with the business of healing.
How's that for an update!!
It's just such a relief is what it is. And again I am so grateful this forum exists to be able to communicate to/with others who have experienced this procedure.
All the best,
Jlsb98
How are things going now? Would love an update!
2nd day post op. home with lots of pillows, as per everyone's advice. Also had the frozen peas/corn propped up on side of each boob most of yesterday. Felt very good. I learned my lesson already about not keeping on top of the pain meds. Left it a bit long yesterday and got caught in the hurt zone. My Dr. came in to check on me and decided to loosen the sutures around the nipple. It seemed congested to her. So feeling very much like Frankenstein today with parts of me just resting unattached under gauze and tape!! My doc also removed the the drains before i left the hospital. The RNs at the hospital were really great. They gave me an extra surgical bra as the first one had gotten a bit bloody. Scheduled to see my Doc later this morning so she can check/change the dressing.
Have to say... For all the discomfort at the moment, immediately after the procedure, my back and shoulders feel GREAT. I feel light. I love that my ribs aren't completely covered by flesh. I feel like I have the boobs I've always envisioned having. Early days yet here but so far so good. Thanks everyone for all the support. I definitely had to focus on the positive as I walked into the OR.
xxoo

Hope you got home and are resting comfortably! Keep us updated!
Congrats!!!
Thank you so much. Stayed overnight here at hospital. Surreal night with bedpans, percocet and a vomit but feeling great this morning! Walked to toilet and Doc's team just came by for a look. Said drains will come out later today.
Thrilled and proud of myself for following through with this procedure. Your group here was really important to me yesterday as I mentally prepared for the actual event. The support and positivity was key.
Thank you.

We are all thinking about you and sending happy thoughts and hugs your way.