Am I a Good Candidate for Gastric Bypass Surgery? - New York, NY

Hello everyone! My name is Ashlie and I am a 20...

Hello everyone! My name is Ashlie and I am a 20 year old college student. I have had problems with my weight since I was about 11 years old. I am currently 232 lbs and wish to go down 100 lbs, or up to whatever I feel comfortable in. I've been wanting this for so long! Is it really worth it? Any bad complications? The women in my family suffer from thyroid disease, but I have been tested and my results were negative (thankfully). In high school, I weighed 150 lbs at 16 years old and while dieting and exercising gained a tremendous amount of weight. My first thought was that I had thyroid disease and then proceeded to get tested. After finding out that I was negative for the disease, I was very confused as to why I was gaining so much weight while trying to lose it. I was on a very strict diet at the time and never sneaked any unhealthy foods or treats. I thought I was going to go insane! I was disciplining my body so hard and it rebelled against me.

I have tried diet after diet, exercise after exercise, and have seen no good results. This is by far the biggest I have ever been in my life. I am desperate and I do not know what else to do. Being obese is ruining my life. I am too young to deal with health problems, and not to mention an incredibly distorted view of myself. I have such low self-esteem! So, is gastric bypass a good surgery for me? Does anyone think that I can get this done with no problem? I have a family friend who is the same age and weighed over 300 lbs. She had it done about a year and a half ago and is incredibly thin now!

Proper dieting is very necessary to have a good and attractive body. To loss weight and fatness, We need to go for good dieting process and also need to take foods without much oil. We need to avoid fast foods and junk foods. Diet Solution
Go for it girl! Don't wait cuz you would of wished you did it sooner! Good Luck!
Yep! you are... you won't regret it! You'll feel so much better and any medical problems you have will go away. Make sure this is what you want and not just a fast fix, because it takes a lot of work to keep it off! If you follow your dr. orders and stay with it no won't regain your weight back. I have seen a lot of people that had surgery and put their weight back on because of drinking alcohol and to much food intake. It is a life time commitment... I had surgery 4 years ago this month and had Tummy Tuck year ago and Love my new look... Good Luck
I am looking into the bypass surgery also. Have an appointment with the surgeon in 6 weeks (trying to get in sooner). Can I ask with anyone who has had this done what happens with the excess skin after weightloss? Is that another operation also? Was this also done with the surgeon at no cost or was it classed as a separate procedure so an additional cost? Thanks Tricia
You will have excess skin that you will want to have it remove and yes it is extra cost, unless you can get your doctor to say it's an health issue and insurance will pay for it. I had my excess skin (Tummy Tuck) remover 28 months after my Gastric by pass, yes I had to pay out of pocket! but well worth it! I love my new look!!! I wish you the best luck... you will not regret the surgery :)
Hey Ashlie, I hope this isn't weird.. lol but I too have began looking at the process and reviews of the surgery and I am also incredibly interested and more certainly inneed of this tool. I am really curious on what you've found.. have you found out how much your insurance covers and how much may need to be paid out of pocket?How the long the wait period is before you are able to actually begin the surgery.. all questions I'm looking for answers to lol.. I wish you the best of luck.. and hope we can share each others journey through this huge milestone in our lives.
Hello JadeY2122! I haven't found that information out just yet. I've been incredibly busy lately so I haven't contacted a bariatric surgeon or have made an appointment to see one. As soon as I do, I will definitely keep everyone updated! :)
Agreed on that point. However, a lot of insurance nowadays moves forward a lot faster.
Hi Ashlie, I just had it done last August and at the age of 41, I wish I had done it earlier. However, at the age of 18, I'm not sure I would have been mature enough to see how much of my life was going to change. If you elect it, I recommend the sleeve procedure which has the least complications. I also agree with the comments above tht you will need a ton of therapy and support. You will have to get a blood panel and see a psychologist before, but its worth it. I've lost 75 lbs so far which is slower than normal, but I was a lower BMI and haven't been able to exercise consistently because of a neck injury. Remember, its just A TOOL! Its the tool to help you not overeat portions. That's all. the rest is hard work. I can easily have a couple milkshakes a day if I wanted but choose not to. Good luck with whatever you decide!
Thank you for your comment and for your advice! I'm pretty sure that this life changing experience will require some therapy, especially since I've been this way for as long as I can remember! If it does happen, it will be the biggest change in my life!
you need to have a doctor assess you for that kind of advice.
Hello ocdgirl2000, I wanted to get some advice from people who have gone through this surgery first so I could decide whether or not I wanted to go through with setting up an appointment or not. There is not better advice than true stories from real people who have gone or are currently going through this experience. Thank you for your comment.
Hi Ashlie, My wife was 18 when she chose to have the Lapband surgery, like you she was worried about complications. Every surgery has complications, all I can really suggest is that you look for a surgeon with a great track record of safety, you also need to make sure you have the right support staff. The bypass itself is an excellent tool, but I know my wife really appreciated the after-care she received from her Doctor and his staff. Plus the Doctor she had her surgery with, holds regular "Youth Support Groups" because it is completely different to go through this when you're younger. Good luck!

Hi Ashlie, welcome!

I think the first thing to do, once you've made the decision that you at least want to look into this surgery, is find out what your BMI is. You can go to the Weight Loss Surgery page and use the BMI calculator there. Once you know your BMI then you can have an idea as to whether or not you're at least in the BMI range for surgery.

I think it's also important that you speak with your family doctor and get a consultation with one, or more, bariatric surgeons. They will best be able to tell you if you're a candidiate. A lot of consultations are free of charge.

Hi Ashlie, First and foremost, even though it might be hard to do - remember, you're beautiful inside and out at ANY weight. Getting yourself to a point where you can emotionally say and feel that is MOST important before considering surgery. I had gastric bypass five years ago, and I've maintained a 145 lbs loss. It was the BEST decision I ever made. That being said, only YOU can know what's best for you and your body/life. I can just tell you that it definitely changed my life for the better. I'm 41 and had the surgery at 36. One thing that you should be prepared for is the emotional component that goes along with such a huge life change. The first thing I tell people is to think about therapy IMMEDIATELY, BEFORE surgery. The changes you are going to go through are so massive and happen so quickly, there's often a big emotional roller coaster that happens for folks. Starting to prepare mentally is the best thing you can do for yourself. You can see my whole journey on my YouTube channel. If you have any other questions, please feel free to ask. I wish you the best - no matter what you decide! Cheers, Taunia

Taunia, Thank you so much for your wonderful comment-- as well as the link to your YouTube account! It's great to see what others go through and the positive change that it makes in their lives. I also want to thank you for the tip about therapy. I could only imagine the changes that one goes through. I will make sure to check out your videos, I am incredibly curious!
No one will tell you that you could have Gastric Bypass without a problem. It is a major surgery and with any surgery there are always the chance of complications. You would seem to be a candidate but that would be a decision that you have to make between you and your doctor. Do you have insurance?
Andrea, Thank you for your comment! Yes, I do currently have insurance. I'm just trying to prepare myself and know what I am getting into before considering contacting a doctor about the surgery. I want to see and hear about other people's stories about their journey with gastric bypass surgery, especially younger candidates like myself.
If you are relying on insurance and you are considering it then i would strongly suggest to startthe process. You can always change your mind but sometimes it takes a few years to get approved.