Lower Face and Neck Lift, and Upper Blephoplasty - New York, NY

Today I am one week postop. I am a 55 year old...

Today I am one week postop. I am a 55 year old female who has always looked youthful. My neck was beginning to show it's age as well as very slight jowls. My upper eyelids had slight hooding. I have been contemplating this procedure and decided to have it done. My jawline definitely looks great, and my eyes still have steri strips so cannot get the total picture yet. I am severly bruised on sides of face and my neck looks like I am victim of strangulation.
When I awoke from surgery it felt as though my lower jaw had been pushed back into my throat. I stayed across the street Manhattan Eye and Ear the first night with a private nurse. I have had moments of breaking down because I cannot believe what I did. My doctor is very good and has a great reputation. My biggest complaint is the fact that I cannot talk properly because of the tightness in my throat. If I don't put a big effort into talking, I sound like I have a lisp.
I am disappointed in reading the amount of time that it takes to recover and feel normal again. I am such an active person and am hoping my down time will not take months.
With these complaints being said, I can see that I will look better which is a good thing but can anyone give me encouragement who has had this terrible tightness after procedure.

lower facelift and neck lift

I just wanted to say that it is very important to keep suture line clean and moist while sutures are in place. I am a nurse and always stressed the importance of this after excisions and mohs surgeries. It definitely helps in minimizing scars! I have seen some postop photos and the suture lines are very crusty. Do not be afraid to clean as directed by your physician.
New York Facial Plastic Surgeon

I am very pleased with this doctor. He has great bedside manner and is a perfectionist. My daughter had deviated septum and he performed her surgery the week before mine. Results are natural and beautiful.

Seriously my neck took months to make the redness go away and right now I am tired and it is tight and it has been since 5/14/13. But when I look in the mirror all my jowls are gone and I look great ( I think) so I put up with it. As my pt said you asked for a neck lift ( so what do you expect) half kidding. But then I went for p therapy and that really helped .hang in there it is a huge surgery and so visible and we want it to be perfect. Hang in there it takes up to a yr to resolve my ps says.
I just read through your comments and it sounds like you're on the mend! So glad you're feeling better. We'd love to see your photos!
I will post tormorrow. Thanks
Hi, I am also 1 week post-op and a youthful 55! Needless to say I feel about like you do right now except without the lisp :) I had a facelift, eyes and neck job. My neck is tight and swollen and the sides of my face feel like they were hit by a brick and the brick is still there!! My talking and eating problems seem to stem from my tight jaw as opposed to my neck, I was barely able to eat cereal this morning. I took two weeks off of work and hope I am ready to go back not looking weird. But considering the improvement over the past week I am hopeful that each day gets very much better. You will be looking good by two weeks also. Let's face it ... this was a big deal, what we had done ... and we have to let nature heal what we had messed with, right? I'd love to keep up with our mutual recovery, it already makes me feel better to not be alone. It is isolating to recover from something that people keep so close to the vest, no one to talk to. Best wishes for a smooth recovery.
I have to say that I feel improvement over the past few days. I'm speaking much better and the tightness is somewhat improved. I can chew more normally. The hardness is still there but I'm being optimistic. Went to dinner Friday and Saturday, I faced the wall, lol so I would not be so noticeable. I spent the entire day out with my husband yesterday. Considering what we have don to our faces, I guess we should be patient because it seems like most are very happy with results! Keep me posted of your progress and I will post some pics when I get around to it. Feel better.
Wow impressed I could not go out for 2 weeks according to my md. I felt as if I was viewing the world through a mask. I went 3 weeks later to daughter's baby shower thinking everyone would notice but looking back at pictures you could not tell .
Good for you getting out like that! I think it's the best thing for recovery, movement, in moderation of course. I need to get out and move more too, going for a walk today. I have the feeling some of this hard tightness on the sides of my face and under my chin will be the most stubborn. I still can't open my mouth well due to tightness in my jaw ... hubby loves that!! It's strange that in all my prep for this I gave the least consideration to this part of the process. I was so glad to have the surgery behind me but didn't "get" the amount of recovery ahead. It's slow but steady. You keep up the good work, I'm excited for you.
Hope you enjoyed getting out for a walk. That's the key, to keep going. I've been using my clarisonic on the sides of face and neck, (of course not in suture line). I too did not realize the impact of recovery but the tightness is definitely getting better. I'm trying to ignore it and continue with life as usual, (with alot of foundation and cover up).
The getting out is a great distraction. Though the tightness and swelling is worse on the left and I can feel fluid pressure in my ear ... ugh. I see the doc on tues. to remove sutures, thank goodness. What's the clarisonic? Sounds nice:) What was the date of your surgery? Mine was 3/28/14 in late afternoon. How is your color? I am kind of a baby puke yellow! If I had a halfway decent voice I'd be singing "Wake Me When it's Over ..." I have 7 days before I have to be back in the public eye at work. Crossed fingers and toes.
How long since your surgery?
Well.. I had it late in the day on friday 3/28 so that means today is day 9. I just paged my doc about the pressure and heat on my left side. Waiting now to hear back.
So glad you are feeling better! It does seem like many people have an "OMG" moment or two in their first week, but then things rapidly improve.
I think everyone heals at a different rate. Is the chewing getting any easier?
Yes, I've had a few of those moments. Today is day 11 and I am going for final removal of sutures. Tightness has improved and I am getting very excited about the resultsand am glad I did not read as much before the surgery because I may have chickened out.
The clarisonic is an electric brush that's very gentle and used for cleansing. I'm a nurse and worked in a dermatology center and the clarisonic is very popular. You can opt to buy other brands which are less costly and of course check with your doctor. I also am doing a little massaging on my face. Today is day 11 and I am seeing great results. I think that you'll be so much better in one week and able to go back to work.
My surgery was Feb. 27. My bruising has subsided immensely. The diffuse bruising seems to be almost gone and I have about 4 different dark bruises which are getting lighter. I think that the 2 week mark will show great improvement.
Day 10 and I'm gonna shut-up now and let nature takes it's course! A facelift is serious enough to give the recovery the respect and time it deserves before putting everything, everyday under a microscope ... it will only make you nuts! No? All the sharing and honest comments here are great and we can prop each other up. Wellness and patience to laser123 everyone else here.
Glad to hear this. Get my sutures out tomorrow and know it will be so much better. ....and ditto on not reading some of this before hand .... whew!
Exactly! Went to doctor for suture removal today and he is very pleased with progress! Just think how fast each week passes...
Hi I was just there also but for posterior body lift Affinia.,I had face lift in May 2013 there., the neck tightness takes a long time to go away I had pt for mine. Don't let it get you down I just passed 9 months. You just need when you can to stretch it but now is too soon. It is a long process day by day but you will be happy with results I am 59. Who was your pt?
Thanks for your support. I feel some improvement as the days go by. I did not need anything to sleep last night and bruising is lightening up. I am a person who bruises very easily and I did the entire regimen to prevent it. My doctor is Dr. Marc Zimbler and I am very happy with him and his reputation. I believe once the swelling subsides I will have amazing results!