Chin Implant Removal and Sliding Genioplasty - New York, NY

I've been through a lot of chin drama. My entire...

I've been through a lot of chin drama. My entire life I hated my profile because my chin was recessed and always said I would get an implant someday. In 2011 I finally did it, and it was horrible. Very very long story short, everything was bad from my experience with the doctor to the final result. After two years the implant had shifted and moved underneath my chin bone as opposed to in front of it. This changed the way it looked in the following ways:

Made my face longer from the front while my profile still didn't have enough projection.
Made it more difficult for me to close my mouth without straining.
From the profile view, it became flat just under my lips and went straight down instead of having a nice S shape.
It appeared pointy and sharp and unnatural.
It was not stable, I could wiggle it around with my fingers. (Could never put my chin on the mat at yoga, couldn't get a facial.)

All in all I was extremely unhappy. At first I didn't even know what a sliding genioplasty was and kept telling myself that eventually I would have it removed and have a new implant placed, and have it screwed in. After finding out about SG and reading many blogs and forums about how it's more natural looking because it's your own bone, and realizing that the only implants that could be screwed in are the ones that are really hard to get out if you don't like it, I decided to go with SG. I was TERRIFIED. Bone cutting and screwing seemed so extreme and scary to me, but I decided I would never like the feeling of having something foreign in my body and just wanted the shape of my old chin back anyway, with a little added projection.

I am now 10 days post op and thrilled!!! It's still swollen and stiff and I'm still uncomfortable with seeing friends and whatnot because it's hard for me to smile, but I can already tell it's going to be wonderful. Even if in the end it still isn't as far projected as is ideal, it's so much better than having that hunk of plastic in my face. My profile is greatly improved, my lip incompetence has improved (I can close my mouth!), and my chin doesn't wrinkle or look deflated when my mouth is closed. I am praying that all of these benefits stay even as the swelling continues to go down!!

2 Weeks Post Op!

Everything seems to be going well, the swelling is definitely getting better, I'm starting to look like me again! My only complaints as of right now is the tightness and the teeth pressure. I still can't show my bottom teeth or smile very easily, and when I open my mouth or swallow too hard the pressure on my bottom teeth is so annoying! Other than that, I think the results are looking good! Again, not the most perfect chin or profile in the world, I'll never have that model bone structure I so badly wanted and thought I'd be able to attain with a chin implant, but i'm starting to get used to this. This is probably the best chin for ME, and after all of this pain and money I'm so done with trying to make it perfect. I have to start remembering that I have a really great nose! And pretty eyes, and stop making everything about my damn chin!!! So for now, I'm still thrilled with the outcome :)

More pix

Exactly 3 weeks post op

My chin is looking better every single day! It's amazing how even when I thought the swelling was almost gone it really wasn't, because it just keeps looking better. I do have a bit of pain on the left side and what feels like a small bump (or maybe just the part of my bone thats cut?), which I may address with my doctor soon, but all in all I'm so so so happy!

Day22

Six weeks post op

I feel amazing. I actually cried the other day out of happiness because I couldn't believe this could be real. I can't believe that the implant is gone and I have a normal chin like most of the world. I feel 99% back to normal. When I wake up in the morning the scar inside my mouth feels a little tight, and my teeth don't have full feeling yet (but are slowly coming back), but other than those two things everything is completely back to normal. Numbness in the chin and lip is completely gone, in fact it's improved since the implant was taken out. When the implant was in I had what I call "nerve connection", I don't know the proper term... But the nerve in my lip and chin on the right side somehow got "connected". If I touched my lip I would feel it in my chin and vice versa. So when I would drink a cold drink I would feel like I was dripping down my chin even though I wasn't, and that's completely gone!!! There's no more tightness whatsoever, I can smile big and laugh and eat comfortably. I had steak last night! Unless something goes wrong I probably won't update after this, because I don't think it can get much better. Even if the teeth numbness never came back I would be fine with it, I'm totally used to that now. I feel so lucky and blessed that this worked out for me the way that it did. After reading so many horror stories I can only hope that my story let's others know that it doesn't always go wrong. I would have spent any amount of money on this, it's changed my life forever.

Current (7 months post op!!!)

Here's some recent photos that show how naturally and amazing my chin has healed. I praise you doctor jamali you are the absolute greatest you changed my life forever!!

And here's a good recent profile shot :) 7 months post op!

New York Oral & Maxillofacial Surgeon

Dr. Jamali saved my life! From the first consolation I knew everything was going to be okay. I was nervous still, of course, after having my first experience go so wrong… but I still had a confidence in him. A few of the things I loved about him worth noting: Realistic - He told me that even in the end it still wouldn't be "ideal" or quite as projected as it should be. He didn't want to risk moving my bone too far and having further complications in the future. This I appreciated, I didn't have false hope. Artistic - Instead of using computer imaging, Dr. Jamali traced over my X-ray and drew the before and anticipated after by hand. He said "I'm the one doing the surgery, not the computer right?" I loved this! He said that every time he had to sit down and draw something, it forced him to go over the steps of surgery in his head, so it's like practice in a way. He actually sat there with a ruler and protractor and gave me precise measurements of where I was and what is ideal and what he thought we could bring it to. Caring - Even though we didn't think insurance would cover any of this (cosmetic), he still took the time to submit the claim to my insurance company in hopes that they would at least cover the removal. He also spent 2 hours with me at my first consultation, and allowed me to come back for another one without charging me anything extra. Gentle - In and out of surgery I believe he tries to be as gentle as can be. This was a more traumatic surgery than getting the implant and the recovery was far less difficult. I was less swollen and less bruised this time around, due to Dr. Jamali making sure he didn't tug and pull too hard! And afterwards, taking out my stitches and pulling off the tape wasn't even a thing. I didn't even know the stitches were already out! Knowledgeable - Every single concern that I came into Dr. Jamali's office with (and there were many), he had a knowledgeable answer and explanation for. And he assured me that any of the concerns I had that had to do with the actual skill of the surgeon, were nothing to be afraid of as he was confident he would do everything properly. The reasons above are why I rated the "overall rating" and "bedside manner" with five stars. I rated everything else with five stars for these reasons: Answered my questions: Even when I asked him if I would go off in metal detectors or ever be able to get an MRI, he still didn't look at me like I was crazy. Every single question I asked he had a knowledgeable answer for. Aftercare and follow-up: Dr. Jamali gave me his cell phone number and personal email address to get in contact with him after surgery. Emails were answered within a couple hours and phone calls were answered immediately. He even emailed and called ME a few times to make sure everything was okay and ask me how I was feeling. On my appointment with him 5 days after surgery, he didn't just look at me and tell me I was all good, he took 2 more X-rays to make sure. He checked my sutures inside my mouth and underneath my chin (where the implant was taken out of), and when I started feeling dizzy because I hadn't eaten yet he had his receptionist actually go downstairs to the streets of nyc to get me an orange juice!! Time spent with me: As stated above, 2 hours for each consultation! I never felt rushed. Phone or email responsiveness: stated above Staff professionalism and courtesy: Any of the ladies that were in the office were sweet and fast and never made me feel like I was a nuisance for being there, like some doctors' office staff do. Payment process: I didn't want to put everything on care credit, but I didn't have enough to pay him his entire 4000$ fee at once, so he let me give him $2000 up front and pay $500 each month for the next four months. This will help me so much and I don't have any interest fees because it's not credit! Wait times: Never waited more than 5-10 minutes to see him. I'm only on day 10, but so far I am thrilled with the results, even with the swelling. My face has never looked so balanced and even though it's hard to open my mouth and chew and laugh, it still feels so good to have that thing out of my face! And I don't think I could have had a better experience with Dr. Jamali.

Dear Cbart, I laughed out loud when I read your line: (paraphrased) "I have pretty eyes and a really nice nose and I'm tired of making everything about my damned CHIN!!" As my laughter might indicate, I suffer from the same problems, and had to put up with it for SIXTY-FOUR YEARS!! I am married to the dearest of men, who happens to be a periodontist (gum surgeon). He thinks (or says he does) that all his friends tell him he is so lucky to have me for his wife and that he does not need ONE THING changed about me. But he could tell that my appearance was really bothering me, especially the bane of my life: "my damned CHIN!". My weight has increased, and with 4 pregnancies, I no longer had a tiny waist line. As one ages, of course, the fat everywhere (including your face) falls toward earth's center, and with such a recessed chin, my maxilla appeared larger (probably is!) than the lower mandible, so of course this increased the look of protruding upper teeth. I am very fortunate, it could have been a lot worse! I married Randy 14 yrs ago, and despite him being a periodontist (gum surgeon) he never suggested I should fix my teeth/chin. When we discussed it (at my request) he encouraged me to get braces (I used Invisalign, worked perfectly, and I only used them when I slept (contrary to the "rules". Just takes longer.) But they can turn brown with coffee or tea and one cannot chew gum to keep breath fresh. Anyway, $10,000 later, my teeth were properly positioned and my "overbite" was for the most part corrected. I was thrilled. Not one dentist had in my WHOLE life suggested I needed braces. If they had, my parents would CERTAINLY have had me wear them. So, that was about 10 yrs ago when I was 54 - 56. But, but, but ....THE DAMNED CHIN still was recessed. I threw out all photos that gave a hint of my profile, I hated it so much. Randy discussed a sliding genioplasty, but at my age I wasn't quite sure it was the right thing for me. So, went to 2 PS for consults: both recommended an implant (probably like the rotten one you got: big difference, an OUTSTANDING plastic surgeon. I also had eyelids shortened, brow lift, lips augmented (I was never as stunning as you are, but I've always been considered "cute and pretty"...but in your 60s all of this goes the way of all things. LOL I also had cheeks augmented (all augmentation with my own fat), facelift (no more jowls) and philtrum (I think that's what the tiny distance between bottom of your nose and upper lip) shortened which enhanced my (always commented on) smile by rolling up the vermillion so upper lip better matched lower lip. SO! A ton of work! And just 7 weeks earlier I had a tummy tuck/liposuction. Dr Huntly in Savannah is an ARTIST! Just as your wonderful PS showed you (were those drawings ever interesting, thank you so much for posting!) I knew exactly what he was going to do and went into surgery with no fear whatsoever. My waistline is back and my thighs and flanks are SO MUCH slimmer, it took 5 lbs off me and I've lost another 20! And "my damned chin" looks perfect (or as perfect as it can given my bone structure). I truly cannot feel it AT ALL, and even only 15 days post-op I can rest my heavy head on my palm as we all do with no pain, no numbness or lack of movement, seriously, I forget I had that done it's such a non-event. I think the diff between your implant and mine has to do with the skill of the PS, and I am certain you think so too. Some of the other procedures were very painful and I am glad of the Percocet (needed for 6 days)...but my skin looks so young. I applied for an new credit card at the register to save 10% -- you know how they do this. I had to give my birthday out loud, and I will be 65 in two months. The nice lady at the register turned and looked at me and said, "Wait-- does that mean you're going to be SIXTY-FIVE????" And then, "There's NO WAY you are 65." Well, exactly 2 months ago I definitely looked tired and drawn, unfit, (belly and thighs from my mom, chin from my dad...but they passed on a lot of good stuff, too!!! ;-) ) and now I look, feel, act so much happier, THRILLED, it's like a miracle! We are all so hard on ourselves...I KNOW no one else cared about my profile, BUT I DID, TERRIBLY. I never thought I would have plastic surgery, but let me tell you, I am a BIG FAN since, like you, my life was turned 180 degrees to the good! Thanks for sharing your story -- I loved seeing your transformation and knew you were right, the first was an unsuccessful surgery. But I think what Dr Jamali did for you was much more appropriate at your age. Since I have absolutely NO awareness of this little implant, I suspect it'll last out my life. But if I'd been in my twenties I would do it the way you did! Cbart, your style is outstanding, so is your courage, and I love how you took a lemon and made lemonade. I admire you so very much. Thanks so much for sharing, I think your post will inspire others to ENSURE you get the right surgeon who can "see" your face as it is meant to be! Good luck always, and God bless you for helping others. xox Maggie
You look amazing, very happy for you!
You're definitely looking gorgeous! Great results i salute you!, i did my surgery 1 week ago, my profile is fine, problem is with my frontal view! It looks longer and thinner, is that normal since its only one week post op? Thank you
Hi there! Thank you! For me, the implant made my face so long that I didn't really have this problem because when they did genio I was just happy to have the longness from the implant gone! But hang in there, because in the first month of surgery you will have many fleeting doubts. Eventually it will all come together :)
You look gorgeous, honestly it's the best result.. I did mine before a week ago and i'm still suffering from swelling, as i'm fine with the new profile its all i wanted, but the new problem is my frontal view! It look now thinner and longer is it normal since it's only been 1 week post op? Thank you
Did you have to wait some time after removing the implant to have the sliding genioplasty performed? Or were both procedures performed during the same visit? Thanks!
Hi! It was all done in the same visit for me
Dear Cbart! you look really fabulous and I am glad you have found such a nice doctor like Jamali. I have the same issue, my implant is on its place but it is so big, :( I sent you some questions on inbox, I really appreciate if you can help me out a bit..
did you know how many mm he was able to move your chin forward? I heard it can be up to 12 mm
It was 6mm
do you know how many mm he was able to move your chin forward? I heard it can be up to 12 mm
Hi, You look great!!! My name is Raquel and I leave in NYC I'm assuming that my case is pretty similar to yours. I have being unhappy with my smile my whole life. I'm thinking about to do the the surgery sometime soon. Please could you give me your e-mail? Thank you
What kind of implant did you get initially ? Silastic ?
sillicone
Ok. So you are fully satisfied with your osseous genioplasty. That is encouraging me.
Yes!!!! I couldn't be more thrilled. I wish I had just done this in the first place.
so after pic are amazing!! chin looks beautifuly natural!! im so happy for u hun. enjoy ur new look ;*
thank you thank you!!!
Your review of this doctor is very helpful. How did the insurance company respond to filing for coverage?
The insurance company wound up covering about 4200 of 7000 if I remember correctly. They covered the implant removal
Thanks for the helful reply! I'm going to call my insurance company because I had some implant material removed...never hurts to ask.
Wow you look so incredibly beautiful, your result turned out so good. Do you mind private messaging me so I can ask you a few questions?
Personally I think your result is fantastic. Couldn't get any better. However reading through the post and comments I still have some questions to wonder. Hope you will answer it ! 1. How much does it cost for the genioplasty alone ? 2. How long does it take to recover completely ? And how long after the surgery could you go to work again ?
The genioplasty alone was $4000. It can take up to a year to recover completely, but the amount of change toll see between 4 months and 12 months is so minimal you probably won't notice it. I went to work two weeks after surgery. It wasn't ideal, I was still very swollen and tight, but It wasn't so bad that I couldn't work
Wooww this looks really fantastic. You looked good before to but I can see why you did it. It's really nice and it gives me good hopes because you can find a lot of bad surgeries on the internet. I have been feeling bad about my chin and nose for quite some time. Everyone says I shouldn't do it and that I look good. But I don't fully agree. Would you mind adding me on on Hotmail or Facebook so we can talk about it more freely? It's ok if you don't want because I don't like adding stranger either :p But it's honestly because I do alot of research on the internet but never talked with people who experienced the same thing.