My Face Got Burn from Ultherapy - New York

Hi everyone, I had ultherapy yesterday so now my...

Hi everyone, I had ultherapy yesterday so now my skin berned and getting worth this morning on around the part jaw nack and check both side, it is normal?

I have update photos after one week and day 11,my...

I have update photos after one week and day 11,my face still healing and scar.
Dr.rho

Knock wood just had my neck done this past week and above eyebrows /eye area and no pain afterward, a tiny bit tender and i'm a super fair strawberry blonde w most sensitive skin she'd seen she said to me. Depends how high they turn it up too....
I don't have a burn, jch. My Ultherapy went very well...a couple of welts on my neck that vanished within a few hours.
Dr. D. Branson mentions the risk of burns here http://www.drbranson.com/images2/Ultherapy_pdf.pdf Obviously, burns are very rare but I am hearing that they are a possibility and are more "intense" than a welt. I understand welts are common and go away quickly, as mine did.
Yes, you are 100% right. A burn is much more intense than a welt, and rare. The point I was trying to make is with ALL treatments there are risk. I do not know what caused your burn and I am sorry that it happened. I still believe Ulthera is a great treatment and a great alternative for those who choose to have it. As with everything else it should be a WELL INFORMED personal choice.
There is a difference between "welts" and burns. I had two welts on my neck. I asked the doctor about these specific cases and he said yes indeed, poorly done, burns can be the result.
I want to retract something I wrote back there: Ultherapy CAN burn if the transducer is not engaged properly with the skin. I was told this by the doctor who oversaw my Ultherapy. When not engaged properly with the skin, the energy/heat is directed more superficially, causing burns.

I have treated over 400 people with Ulthera. It is a VERY safe treatment, however it is true as P13_ski stated ALL treatments have risk. Over all the Ulthera has been extremely safe for most people while giving a great result. To address Antoniag, the tranducer can cause "welts", they are raised areas on the skin about the size of a pin scratch. They will subside on their own in a few days and are caused by the tranducer not being in correct contact with the skin. I have had this with a few patients. I have found if you point them out and explain what they are everyone is fine with it. Overall we have found the Ulthera to be a great safe treatment.

just to be clear as this is my last post here. I do not have welts. The machine is not supposed to fire on the surface yet it did to me .. making 2 small holes/ burns in my face ,. After 4 months they have closed and left me with an indenture. I am hoping over time the fraxel should help. This has been a tptally unpleasant experience.. I wish I had never heard of Ulthera. And the company has hidden behind their legal team and admitted their machine misfired on my face.
Chloedog, I hope that this isn't your last post as there are a lot of people here that have been following your story and that support you. There will always be people who want to blame the victim. You are not at fault. You were hurt and should be compensated. Don't let bullies scare you away, the majority of us want to make sure that people have accurate information about the procedures pro AND con. Please keep us posted and ignore the detractors, I can't imagine why anyone would be so belligerent to you except that perhaps they are Ulthera providers and only want positive p.r. out there. Hang in there and know that most people here support you.
the only blame i take is for doing Ulthera. NOONE told me there could be a problem I was told the surface if the skin in not affected. I have no ulterior motive . My story has been told. EVERYONE here understand ULTHERA has admitted their machine did something it was NOT supposed to do and they have implemented a safety in further machines. My hope is the Fraxel will fill in the skin that I have lost. The discoloration can always be covered with foundation But I cannot fill in a space that is from the holes. Theres no point in continuing here. I do have better things to do LOL Like cover my scar.

I can understand why you would be frustrated with the conversation today, but I would like to encourage you to stay active in the community. There is a lot of value in sharing your story.

I agree with jch . I have treated over 300 people with Ulthera. I have said many times this treatment is very safe The person treating has to be knowledgable, caring ,and calm . They must take the time to explain the treatment in depth during consultation . I always take time with my clients and explain everything they can expect .
Jch -- unfortunately, i got about a dozen 'pin scratch' type scars (white and slightly raised, from 1/4-1/2 inch long each) on my neck from my Ulthera treatment. It was one month ago and they won't budge. Can you tell me what you think they are exactly so i can continue to try to treat them appropriately? My practitioner said she'd never seen that happen before and gave me some cortisone cream to apply. That didn't help. I'm so upset as i feel that i paid a hefty price. Thank you for your input on this.
I'm sorry, I thought you were referring to something else - not the ultherapy video. Yes, it is supposed to not affect the skin's surface.
I don't see anything "below" Chloedog...
No I have not been compensated at all. Naturally my Dr gave me a credit. They only said" it was not supposed to happen" I believe the surface of my skin was heated not the area below which the website shows. It is not supposed to interact with the surface
The FDA-cleared device used in the procedure utilizes the safe, time-tested energy of ultrasound to stimulate the deep structural support layers of the skin—including those typically addressed in a surgical facelift—WITHOUT disturbing the SURFACE of the skin. I have been waiting for weeks to hear from Ulthera. I have contacted a lawyer and am planning to sue.
Good luck with your lawsuit. I sued my doctor for burns I received from laser hair removal. I won, but it took 2.5 years and A LOT of tears and emotional stress. They will accuse you of lying and trying to profit. Keep track of ALL your medical expenses and print out any correspondence you have had with your doctor. After all the lawyers fees, court fees, document fees, messenger fees, deposition fees, travel fees, postage fees and expert witness fees I netted about 20% of the settlement so be prepared that suing might not even cover your out of pocket medical expenses. Good luck. Fight hard. Hang tough.
chloedog, did Ulthera say what caused the burn? Ultrasound doesn't cause burns. Did part of the machine overheat and then, when it touched your skin, burn it? It really is too bad. I hope you have been well compensated for your experience.
watch the video i sent below. I have 2 holes. Even though i am doing laser resurfacing it is still visible.
I was burned during the treatment. 10 weeks ago. i have a scar. Ulthera has said it was not supposed to happen and there is a safety being installed on new machines. This is not anything but the utmost truth.
This is indeed a confusing and troubling thread. I'm also being told straight up from my clinician (and confirmed on RealSelf) that it has a near zero risk, so I don't understand the reports (albeit fairly rare) of quite severe skin damage.

I intend to go through with my Ulthera treatment next week because I think whatever risks there are, they're acceptable when compared to more invasive procedures. I wish however, that the facts were a bit clearer on this matter.
With any of these treatments there is a risk and I know from personal experience. I received 5 treatments of laser hair removal preformed by a MD with no incident and on the 6th treatment when her nurse treated me I got 1st and 2nd degree burns. I could not see what was happening during the procedure as I was laying down. I sued and 2.5 years later the doctor settled with me. They will NEVER accept responsibility unless they are forced to. I think the lesson I learned was that you need to stop periodically and LOOK and what is happening to your skin as the procedure is being done. I never, ever would have thought that a well trained nurse who works with several plastic surgeons doing hair removal would burn me so severely but she did. When I sat up I was covered in welts and looked horrible for months. Had to stay out of the sun for a year. Went into a severe depression. It was a nightmare. Had it not had it happened to me I wouldn't have believed it could happen when done by a trained professional. I had the Ultherapy preformed 3 months ago and only had redness that went away after a day or two. But the procedure is VERY painful and it was a burning feeling. If I had seen any indication of my outer skin being burned I would have stopped the procedure immediately. Near zero risk is not zero risk. Just be careful.
Thanks. I'll take this advice while undergoing the proc. It's a hard call because of the wide reports of typical pain, that being the body's way of telling you it thinks "something is wrong". I'm not sure I could tell the difference beting burning pain and whatever pain you're supposed to get from intended Ultherapy.
That's why it is important to look. Had I just sat up and looked at what the nurse was doing to me I could have saved myself from 2.5 years of pain/stress/frustration/scars. Some redness is normal but you can tell when it is a surface burn.