Help! 6th Day and Very Painful

I am excited to have started invisalign... however...

I am excited to have started invisalign... however i have been combating with a ton pain since I started.

I eat frequently throughout the day so I have to take my trays off to brush them about 5-6 times a day. Tonight my gums seem very tender and swollen and i keep getting cold sores in my mouth. I have researched online and have not seen anyone else with these symptoms... HAS ANYONE ELSE experienced tender/swollen gums and a ton of cold sores?! HELP!

I am in the same boat. In my first week and sores galore! I called dentist today and receptionist said if not better on Monday to call back. Canker sores all over...cheeks, gums, tongue, lips, etc. Ridiculous! The side of my tongue has one long ridge of sore down it from the whole right bottom plastic. Everyone where I read and everyone I talk to say this will go away in time. I took an emory board and filed the edge dowon a bit and seems to help a little. Everyone says you rmouth adjusts...I hope so. And I'm so darn thirsty...some gum sure would help!!! Miserable but the end result will hopefully be worth it.

Oh my goodness, I'm so sorry to hear what is going on for you. :( Do you have any orthodontic wax? Get some & line the outside of your trays with it so it can provide some relief to your lips & let them heal up. You should be able to find some at a drug store, but sometimes its a bit difficult to find. If its really bothering you call the emergency number for your ortho & tell them you need some wax. They will have some at their office and should be more than willing to meet you there to give you some - at least I would hope.

I have cold sores on my lips and my mouth interior is puffy and red. It is hard to swallow and hurts. I have had Invisalign for eight weeks and this is the second time this had happened. I thought AI might be allergic to the plastic but if so then why only two flareups? I have used the cream Abreve (expensive ) on my cold sores and it really helps. I am glad to know I am not alone in the cold sore department. I can't use toothpase-it burns too much- so I brush with baking soda. On the plus side I am losing weight due to less frequest snacking.

I have had invisalign for 3 months now and have had a constant stream of cold sores -awful, is driving me nuts. Good to hear that it's not just me. My dentist said it was stress but I don't think it is. I have been in far more stressful situations and not had cold sores. Interesting to hear about SLS in toothpaste contributing to cold sores. I need to eat 7 times a day and so are taking my braces on and off that often and brushing my teeth every time. I'd been keen to hear from anyone else re cold sores and invisalign.
I'm so glad that you wrote in! I am on day 2 and where the inside of my mouth rubs the bottoms of the invisalign, I have developed many blisters. I talk a lot at work and this is killing me. I ended up putting tissue in just to avoid the contact. Now, my tongue has just developed a sore. I wonder if I am alergic to the plastic? I could sure use some advice...

Julie...I just started on Monday and I am DYING. I talk alot at work too and I can barely take the sores on my lips and tongue. Did yours get better? Were you allergic to the invisalign?

I actually switched over to sensodyne tooth paste as well as a very soft bristle toothbrush. This has helped me greatly! I'm on my third tray and still get sores when I first change my trays, however they are not as bad as it was when I first started. So far i see a difference and my teeth are spacing. I have crowding on the bottom and was never able to floss but now i am! Although it can be painful at times it is worth it. Invisalign is great. thanks for all of your advice.
I am half way through my invisalign. When I first started out, it was painful at first and I had some tenderness in my mouth, where the trays would rub and me not being used to them. This went away for me. Every once in a while a new tray will hurt for a little bit, but I usually take an ibuprofen. It also helps to change trays before going to bed.
Your problem might not be with the Invisalign but with your toothpaste. Lots of toothpastes have sodium lauryl sulfate - which helps make it foam up. SLS can cause or exacerbate canker sores. So, look for an SLS-free toothpaste, and brush very gently. I haven't had Invisalign, but I have had braces, many years ago. My mouth is small and my gums can be sensitive - banging them with the toothbrush can cause canker sores. I use a very soft child's toothbrush - I find it that a child's size lets me easily get to all the hard to get to sides and backs with out injuring myself. If I'm overenthusiastic w/ an adult-size brush it's too easy to bump into gums or cheeks and cause a canker sore.
I just finished invisalign/braces. I didn't get any cold sores in my mouth during the invisalign, however I did when I finished with the braces. I had a lot of sores on my gums on one side of my mouth. They were extremely sensitive to cold. They went away after a few weeks. Cold sores can be triggered by all sorts of things including stress. This may be why you have gotten them shortly after your invisalign. The pain is normal and part of the process and should reside in a few days to a week. Some trays will be more painful then others, however in my experience it wasn't all that bad and is worth it. If the pain and cold sores really concern you, it would be best to contact your ortho. Good luck!