Fraxel Dual for "Melasma Mustache" - Worked when Other Treatments Didn't

Had third fraxel dual to rid my face of the rest...

Had third fraxel dual to rid my face of the rest of the melasma that the IPL did not get off. I have tried the other Fraxel's which did not help with the melasma at all, including Fraxel Restore and Repair. I would go so far to say that those prior treatments (including other lasers such as Thermage and CoolTouch) may have helped exacerbate the melasma. However, the Fraxel Dual really helped eradicate whatever remained. I had a melasma-mustache (that looks much better, if not totally gone.

I will know in a few days as I just had my last (hopefully) treatment today, if it is totally gone.

New York Dermatologic Surgeon

He charges less if I don't do my forehead, he's funny, and a good practitioner.

oh, sorry. i dont like IPL. it is light, requires multiple treatments where u can get results with one treatment of Lasers. IPL is not a laser and can be done by non physicians.
Yes. I have worked with fraxel. There are some people that get results but u can get the same results for 500 dollars with the aura laser with less downtime. Lasers generally are not for skin of color period. For most people, if some topical is not used to turn off the melanin, the pigment will return and be worse. Stopping waxing of the upper lip etc can alleviate the pigment as well if this is what caused it in the first place.
I have to disagree with Dr Anita.

One year later I am maintaining an 70-80% improvement. So, if I have to have this done once every 2-3 years, I would consider it long lasting. I do have some 'resurfacing' and there is a broken capillary now, which I think was caused by the Fraxel. And I've mentioned that it didn't help any wrinkles, in fact, it may have made them a bit more noticeable. My melasma was very bad.
Fraxel or IPL does not give long lasting results to hyperpigmentation. The superficial injury actually stimulates melanin to be produced so the discolorations usually returns. There is a safe alternative but it requires maintenance and NO sun exposure. NO microderm, no lasers as these induce pigmentation expecially in people of color. I hope this helps.

HI Anita,

Have you personally had experience with Fraxel or IPL?

Thanks,

-Britt

This give me SO much hope.
No - sorry. I don't want to post my picture. However, it is substantially better with the use of the Dual Fraxel than any other treatment I have tried.

No worries, please keep me updated about how everything goes though. :)

Did anyone find a doctor in Orlando that has the Fraxel Dual? I am very interested in trying it for my melasma. Regular fraxels have not helped. Thanks in advance for any advice

Hi Winter Park,

I'm not sure who does specific Fraxel for Melasma but here is a list of doctors in your area who specialize in Fraxel. Hope it helps and please keep me updated if you decide to go through with the procedure.

Thanks for being part of the Fraxel community,

Hi-

I DID have the Fraxel 1927 done, twice!

The first time I got tremendous results, over 90% of my severe melasma gone!
I thought the second treatment would finish it off, but no, not really. In fact, one spot seems a bit more visible.
Not much help for wrinkles, but still worth the effort.

I did not find a Dr. in Orlando, but rather traveled to Dr. S. Weiner in the FL panhandle.
Worth the long trip to have a very competent Dr. work on me, personally.
The Dr. is submitting my photos to the Fraxel company, to be included in their 'book'.
And you can see me in the before/after shots on this website, under Dr. Weiner's photos.

The only thing I am wondering is if these results will truly last.
If I have to have this done every few years, it is worth it.
It's made all the difference in the world to me.

Mamarosa

Cool,

Thanks mamarosa, for answering Winter Parks question. Way to do "community outreach" ;) Please continue to stay involved. And maybe post a review of your experience?

-Britt

I've done 5 Fraxel dual treatments and most of the melasma is gone. A bit of the melasma mustached is still there but I'm not freaked out over the way it looks. I have the 6th treatment in December. According to the doctor, if during the summer the melasma returns or worsens, periodic Fraxel treatments will deal with that issue. I used Laser & Skin Surgery Center in NYC and they are well-known and quite reputable.

Hi Gina Rose,

Great to hear it's coming along. When you go for your treatment in December would you mind doing pictures or a video diary? Please keep me updated and thanks for being such an active part of the community.

-Britt

He's very expensive, but there's a doctor out here who I met once (he was fine but didn't have the Dual), who also has an office in BOca Raton. I couldn't post his link (this site would not let me), but if you look for Dr. Goldberg Skin Laser & Surgery Specialists), you should find his site. He has offices in NJ, NY and FL, etc. Good luck.

Hello, I have done dual faxel last june 26, but my spot got worse, I don{t know if any one has had that experience. In the beginning was beautiful, but when I expose my skin to the sun, it became red first and the more spot damage than before, that someone has a good doctor in orlando fl
I think I am a good candidate for Fraxel Dual, but I am having trouble locating a Dr. who will do this in Orlando area. Any one have any resources? I am happy for your results. Mamarosa
Gina Rose, maybe you are getting just the Thilium laser in your Fraxel treatments? As I understand it, with the Dual, you have the option of having a treatment of the two lasers combined or, if pigment is your primary concern, they will give you just the Thilium laser. My Dermo gave me all 8 passes of the laser today with just the Thilium laser, and I am hoping to get good results on melasma, as you did. Had the treatment about 6 hours ago and feeling fine at the moment. I actually felt worse earlier, when my face felt sunburned.
THe IPL helped, but not entirely. THe Fraxel Dual laser is helping the most. I have had 3 so far, but still have some melasma left (mostly the mustache) -- it's not THAT bad, but not perfect yet. As for acne scars, Fraxel did not help at all.
I'm really interested in having fraxel done. Did you try IPL and it didn't work for you? I had IPL and it made the skin darker for about 2 months and then it gradually faded back to it's original colour. Thankfully I only had a tiny test spot done and not the entire area because it went VERY dark. What were your final results? Did it get rid of your melasma?