Invisalign Journey - New Jersey, NJ

I decided to get invisalign to fix my crowded...

I decided to get invisalign to fix my crowded lower teeth. Ive had retainers, braces, then retainers again and my teeth always manage to shift. My whole treatment is going to be 3-4 months unless refinements are needed. 13 trays for the lower, 9 for the upper and 8 attachments. I got my first trays yesterday. The process was quick and easy. They bonded the attachments on filed them down and gave me 6 sets of aligners and sent me on my way.
My thoughts so far:
-they are not invisible unless you are looking at me from far far away
-I do have a slight lisp which is getting better
-They are irritating to the insides of my lips... I did try to buff them but it didn't help -They are slightly painful, its more of a pressure feeling, but taking the bottom trays out is extremely painful
-I am definitely going to lose weight because I can't snack or really drink anything but water and I don't even want to take the trays out to eat because it is so painful
-My teeth feel loose like they are going to fall out when the trays are out which my provider said is normal, but makes me afraid to eat
-I was told the best way to get them out is to grab them with your nails and move from the back all the way around... I don't have any nails so I am finding it nearly impossible to get them out.
I didn't get much instruction from my provider, only that I can't eat with them in, I have to brush and floss after eating before putting them back in, and using Act mouthwash twice a day is mandatory. When I asked if I should brush the trays they said ehh, rinsing them in water is usually good enough but they will get kind of gross looking but its okay because you throw them out after 10 days anyway. So I have only had them one day and its frustrating not being able to eat or drink as usual, I am just hoping the pain gets better and it gets easier to get the trays out as my teeth start to shift so I can eat more than once a day!

Tray 2

I have been anxiously awaiting this day... Its day 10 of treatment and time for the second trays. My excitement was quickly brought to a halt when they didn't fit properly. The bottom trays fit... they don't feel tight as I thought they would... they feel the same as the first set. The top on the other hand...... they fit around my front teeth but don't fit on my back teeth... they just kind of hang there flopping around. I could feel them bang against my bottom teeth and they only go into place when I bite down, then they bounce back off my teeth to their flopping around state. I had to take the top tray out because it felt like I was going to swallow it. I now have in tray 1 on the top and tray 2 on the bottom and am waiting two hours for my dentists assistants to get in to call me. I am assuming I will have to go in for them to take a look and they will have to order new trays, which better not entail taking more impressions. I am not a happy camper to say the least!

Tray 2/3

Well I saw my dental assistant... the upper of tray 2 was indeed defective. I was pretty annoyed when they told me over the phone to stop in so they can "show me how to properly put them in"... anyway... they tossed upper tray 2 in the garbage and moved me to tray 3 on the top which I will keep in for 20 days instead of 10. I'm still not too happy because now my mouth is super uncomfortable and the upper trays are ripping my mouth apart left and right which I guess I will have to deal with until my teeth move enough for the tray to actually fit. The back of it doesn't lay flat against my teeth which is irritating my tongue and there are some rough spots irritating my gums. They are also a whole lot more visible right now... collecting saliva in the big spaces where my teeth are supposed to eventually shift to. I was self conscious before now its even worse that I have gobs of saliva sitting in the trays in my mouth. Maybe I will take up sign language as a new means of communicating. UGH!

photo update

Tray 4

I am officially one month into treatment and am on Tray 4/9 for the upper and 4/13 for the lower. As I mentioned in a previous post, my second upper tray did not fit, so I went on to tray 3. Well, surprise surprise... Tray 4 for the upper does not fit too great either! Im having the same problem in that it just kind of flops around on my back teeth except the left side is the main problem. They fit when I clench my teeth together but as soon as I open my mouth it comes down off my teeth. I'm trying my hardest to keep it in and deal with it. I just ordered the chewies in hopes that they will help even just a little. Even if the chewies help, I believe I am going to have to call my dentist yet again, because I figured I would try upper tray 5 to see if it would fit and its even worse than tray 4. The tray doesnt fit my back teeth on either side... the same problem I had with tray 2 and to the point where it is not wearable. I am getting extremely frustrated and annoyed with invisalign at this point. I see absolutely no changes in my teeth what-so-ever, and my upper trays are all defective of some sort! It is a hassle and inconvenient to have to keep going to my dentist. I call first thing in the morning, the assistants don't get in until later in the day then they can't take me until 2-3pm which is when I start work so I can't go in! I thought invisalign was supposed to be convenient... at this point, it is anything but!

Tray 7

Hey everyone, its been a while since I have given an update on my progress. The last time I updated, tray 5 didn't fit on the upper so I moved on to tray 6 which I wore for almost a month. I went for my checkup today and they put in tray 7 and what do you know, it didn't fit on the upper. The dentist looked at my teeth and since my top teeth were never really a problem to begin with, he said they were looking good and there was no point in making new impressions when I only have 3 trays left for the top. He ended up cutting off the back 2 teeth for the remaining upper trays. So far tray 7 fits beautifully after he cut off the two back teeth, hopefully the others will fit too. I am seeing some progress with my bottom crowding but I don't like how they look right now. As my teeth are shifting, one front tooth is being pushed forward to make room for the other to fit into place. Hopefully it is just like a bad cold where it kind of gets worse before it gets better. February 10th is my next appointment when they remove the attachments from the top and I believe they will put my permanent retainer in place. Yay! Can't wait to be done!

Top teeth complete!

So yesterday I went to my dentist as I had completed tray 9/9 for my top teeth. I was so excited to get my permanent fixed retainer so I could smile with confidence again. Whelp. Disappointed again. I sat in the chair and she handed me a tray and said ok heres your top permanent retainer. Huh? I was told from the beginning that I would be getting the fixed retainer that goes on the back of your teeth. Now they were telling me they can't do it now and I have to wear this retainer for another 4 months. I was so disappointed and unhappy. Of course as I tried on the retainer, it didn't fit. Why would it fit... the top trays haven't fit from day 1. I told them i'm not wearing something that doesn't fit... so they cut off the back two teeth from each side. It fits but still isn't too comfortable. After an argument and me repeatedly telling the dentist I wasn't happy he told me to just wear it at night. That seems like its asking for my teeth to move. I left unhappy yet again and I guess I will have to suck it up and wear this thing until they will put the actual fixed retainer in. I honestly don't see any changes in my top teeth. The things that bother me about my top teeth are the shape of some of my teeth and my gum line for my two front teeth... One front tooth looks much longer than the other, which isn't something Invisalign can fix. Anyway, my bottom teeth have 4 more trays to go and there is still a lot of movement that needs to be done so I think I will be needing refinements. We will see how it goes!

Tray 13/13

Here is a picture of my teeth prior to invisalign and now. I have about a week left... I think I may need some revisions or maybe just some filing down to fix the shape of some of my teeth. This whole process has been a huge pain in the butt for me but I am so happy with how my teeth look. I never realized exactly how terrible they looked until I compared the pictures from before invisalign to now.