A Long Journey - New Jersey

I've always had large breasts since I was about 11...

I've always had large breasts since I was about 11 years old. At the age of 37 I was diagnosed with invasive breast cancer in my right breast. I found the lump myself. I had surgery, chemo and then radiation. It has been 11 years since I was diagnosed. Since then I have been wearing a prosthesis in the right side of my bra. It was ok until about a few years ago when I put on some additional weight. Because I had radiation on my right side I didn't gain any weight in my right breast , only my left. I am so lopsided it hurts. I have been so uncomfortable that I take my bra off as soon as I get home. I find myself not wanting to go places because I don't want to have to put on my bra. This really hasn't been working out for me and my family. I have 2 teenage kids. It is not fair to them or to me. I finally decided that it is time for me to do something about this. I always wanted to do it but I just always felt that I had enough of doctors. I know that it is now time.

My surgery is scheduled for September 26th. I am both excited and nervous at the same time. I mostly fear the anesthesia. I am pretty tough as far as pain goes. When I had the lumpectomy for cancer, I took 1 presciption pain pill and that was it. From then on it was only tylenol. I don't like the way narcotics make me feel. MY problem is with anxiety. I worry about everything. Not waking up after surgery, etc.

I have been reading this board for a few months now. I am inspired by everyone's story. I know all the discomfort, pain, etc. It is comforting to know that I am not the only one and that there is relief in my future.

I only need a reduction in my left breast. I am happy with the size of my right breast. I will be somewhere between a B and C Cup. I can't tell you how happy that makes me. I have never been able to wear dresses, tank tops and nice tops. I can't wait.

I do have one problem that I am worried about. I am not telling any of my coworkers about my surgery. I am just taking time off. I work part-time. I don't know how much they will notice when I get back. I'm hoping that they only gradually notice. I don't want to get into the whole cancer thing with them. I usually only wear baggy tops so I hope that will be an easy explanation.

I didn't have any trouble getting approval from my insurance company because I had breast cancer. They said I am entitled to get this surgery. My husband is very supportive of my decision. He has been with me thru all of my health issues. I am very blessed.

I would appreciate any tips you can give me. I am concerned about being in a bra constantly since that is the one thing I hate now. I hope at least it will feel better than it does now. I have my pre-op appointment with my surgeon on Thursday, September 13th. Is there anyting I should make sure I ask her?
Thank you all for listening and your support.

I had my pre-op appointment with my surgeon today....

I had my pre-op appointment with my surgeon today. It certainly feels real now. I have to be there at 9:00 on September 26th.

6 days until my surgery and I' m feeling kind of...

6 days until my surgery and I' m feeling kind of sad. I am having lots of 2nd thoughts about doing this. I feel like I am being selfish. What if something goes wrong? How will my kids feel? I asked my husband if I should back out and he said "No, you should have done this 10 years ago". So, I guess I'm going with that.

I am so close, now. I am feeling anxious but also...

I am so close, now. I am feeling anxious but also a little bit of relief thinking that 24 hours from now I will be on the road to recovery.