Melange Chemical Peel for Melasma and Hyperpigmentation - New Jersey

Here is my experience so far. This was done in...

Here is my experience so far. This was done in West Orange New Jersey at a plastic surgeons office. It was $845.00.(Everything in N.J. is ridiculously expensive!) I had my Melanage peel 7 days ago.I am 40 years old caucasion with decent light skin with some olive undertones (tan easily) (not sensitive) and very few wrinkles but definate hyperpigmentation and sunspots. I have used Retin A nightly for 1 year and stopped it 3 nights prior to peel.

I had the peel on Wednesday left it on for the full time 10 hours and was able to go about my normal activities Thursday with a pink glow to my skin. Friday and Saturday I laid low with a lot of peeling starting around my mouth area and spreading outward althougth the peeling was less on my cheeks.

I have used the Melanage cream 2 every night (followed the written instructions to the letter) but like Julie, my chin area is really scaly and dry. I don't know if I should discontinue use of this cream in that area or just keep it going and maybe that is what my skin is suppose to do? A lot of the brown patches are better but some spots are still there. The corners of my mouth are sore and scabby. My chin is very very dry and scaly. My face has a nice pinkish glow to it (besides the dry areas) and I think that is the reason I feel like my skin looks good right now... pink is making all the colors blend in so they are not so noticeable.I have only worn the provided sunscreen during the day and no foundation as of yet. I think I am not suppose to judge the results for a full month.

I feel like I have more fine lines then before (UGH) the peel but wondering if that is because I am dry?? I hope that goes away when there is moisture back in my face. I don't know if I should use moisturizer at this point or just keep following the protcol for the next 3 weeks and see what happens. Does anyone know if this is as good as it gets or should I judge it at the month point??

I will keep you posted but I am not sure I can recommend this for over $800.00 maybe if it was $500 or under I would say go for it but I don't want to make a final decision yet.

Not worth it at all

Not worth it at all

West Orange Oculoplastic Surgeon

The staff makes you feel very comfortable and they are very informative.

DO NOT USE THIS PEEL!!! MY BROWN SPOT ARE BACK AFTER JUST A COUPLE MONTHS. AND MY FACE BROKE OUT IN CYSTIC ACNE ALONG MY JAW. DO NOT WASTE YOUR MONEY. SHOULD BE OUT OF THE MARKET.

What is the best face moisturizer after the melanage peel? I'm 17 days out from the peel. Very happy with the peel but my face continues to be a bit dry (not as bad as it was few days after the peel). I would like to know the best over the counter moisturizer instead of having to go back to the doctor's office. Thanks for the feedback.

Hey Bobbi2013,

You can also ask the RealSelf Doctors this question by clicking here.  They may have some suggestions for good OTC moisturizers.  Good luck!

I used original Nivea in the blue tub, available at any drug or grocery store, multiple times per day during my peel. Worked wonders.
Ok everybody I am day 12 after the melanage peel. My skin is tight and still dry with a bit of peeling every other day. Using the melanage2 cream (that you put in the refrigerator) every night as directed. But mositurizing during the day is the KEY. However I have noticed a wonderful difference to my face! A good 80% of my brown tinted stains are gone. Over my lip is almost all gone. Still some smaller spots under my eyes and forehead but much less than I previously had- they are much lighter and very small now- before they were dark brown and in large clusters. So far I'm very happy and look refreshed. I have a wrinkle in between my eyebrows- that looks like less pronounced. I think the peel was worth it.
Massey in Pooler- Dr Gaugh's office on Stephenson Ave in Midtown Savannah
Jennifer in Savannah, where did you go to get your peel done?
Hi Everyone. Enjoying your comments, but not having the same experience. I too have severe brown spots from sun damage on my forehead, upper cheeks and majorly on my upper lip. I am currently on day 4 of my melenage peel. Mine was $400 at the dermatologist office. I can already see results. I left the mask on for 8 hours, the next day I was very red and tender. because of the severe dryness that day, it did look like I had more fine wrinkles- but mositurizing with the extra free mositurizer they gave me really worked. Last 2 days I have been peeling but adding the redness balm, sunscreen and some of the extra lotion. I also spritz my face with cold water. Last night the melanage cream 2 was a bit stinging, water spritzing helped. I hope I have better results than everyone here. I have read many positive results. My Derm reccomends every 2 years and does this herself. I think moisturizing is the key. I will come back and comment after my 30 days.
French Cat - sorry to hear! What did the place you went to say about that? My skin doesn't "peel" its just really dry, flaky.. like I'm shedding? Haha. After the night cream in the morning my whole face is dead skin and I gently wash it off in the shower. Did you stick to instructions and all that? Let me know, I'd like to know what your asthetician said.
Will do! I'm going to CO to visit my boyfriend for 10 days so by the time I'm back it'll be 6 weeks and time for round 2. I have faith my skin will look better, just gott keep my acne in check. I'm tan complexion so I scar so easily I hate it! Good luck with everything! My checkup/progress appt is tomorrow :)
Hey Joanna:

If you got a lighter peel, I would say its ok to get it done in another month or 6 weeks but I'm not a doctor and everyone is different. If you are peeling a lot after the first peel, I would wait at least 6 weeks to get the next one. Let your skin recover completely before putting it through another round of peeling and soreness, etc . You can also get a lot of information on this web site if you want to be sure. Glad to hear you are progressing like you should be and good luck with the next peel. Keep me/us posted how you like the final result after this first peel and then again after you have done all 3. Take Care!
Hi KTA, I did the melange. Kept the mask for a 10 hrs and then took it off. Can you do a spot peel after 6 weeks with the same mask?
Thanks beach bum I'll look more into that. KTA - I'm on day 5 and my skin is still peeling, more so today than yesterday. I put a little more of the night cream on last night than I usually do. It doesnt burn as bad anymore either. I see a difference but I cant really see past the peeling it's pretty bad around my nose area. I bought a series of 3 and my place says I have to do all 3 in 3 months? Is that not a good idea? The place is great and knowlegable. They said its bc the aftercare treatment last 3 months.
How is your peel going, JoannaCT? Mine did not peel correctly at all! The last time I got this peel was in January, and my skin peeled in sheets. This time....it got brown and crusty only in a few spots and I am flaking....not peeling like the last time. The worse part is still around my eye area. She went just above the dark circle line and it is still pretty crusty...and looks a little swollen under the one eye. I am not touching it at all. I started putting moisturizer on now because the parts that did peel are real pink and the part around my eyes that didn't peel completely is really sore. It won't be a week until Wednesday so if it isn't any better by then, I may have to call my doctor. I also have some cortisone cream that I may start to use. The girl in my office that had the blue peel the same day I got my peel, her face looks GREAT today! She has a face full of freckles and they are ALL GONE! And her skin looks great. She still has the little flakes in certain spots, but she looks much better then me. Her doc told her not to use anything but hydrocortisone cream the whole time she peeled. I read a post on one of the other threads from a woman whose husband was a doctor and she mentioned that if you get peels too close together, you won't peel correctlyl. I think that is the problem in my case. I don't think I'm going to get another TCA peel for about six months. Hope you are happy with your results so far and things are going well with your peel. Take Care!
How do the fillers work? I don't know anything about them. Expensive? Long healing time?
Joanna....the fillers work well with the correct injector of course. It lasts about 9 to 12 months in my opinion and in my experience it cost about $550 a tube in the tri-state area. Hope this helps.
Thanks Joanna! And thanks for the info beach bum. I do think the fillers would probably be a better option if the peels don't help with the scars. The peels help me with age spots and evens out the tone of my skin. Going through menopause and breaking out more now then I did in my teens, on top of it being more of a cystic acne, is very frustrating. Its terribel getting deep scars at this stage of the game! Take Care and best wishes to you both!
I'm still crossing my fingers, my acne scarring isnt bad but it bothers me, I just want smooth looking skin. I'm not peeling too bad, but my skin feels tight. I bought a series of 3 do I have to do this again in a month. Hopefully all 3 will really help! Good luck! And you can message me whenever, the notification goes right to my phone, so we can suffer together!
KTA & Joanna....peel not worth the money at all. Didn't harm me but did not help. I get my acne scars (very few) filled with juvederm and I am very happy with that. :)
Hi Joanna: I had a peel on Wednesday and it looks really uneven. My face is real dry and has brown patches all over and white patches that look like the chemical didn't even affect, or the doc didn't put enough acid in that area. I look like a clown! I am starting to peel around my mouth area also. I will be laying low all weekend because it should start peeling all over and hope to look better by Monday. The peels do smooth out the acne scars, etc. but it only last for about a month or so and then they start getting back to normal. But everyone is different. I have only a few deep scars and was thinking about getting filler in them to smooth them out for a long period of time. I think only a really deep peel will get rid of them completely and I'm not willing to take a chance on that. Its too painful, takes a long time to recover and sometimes it discolors your face or leaves more scars if it doesn't heal properly. My problem is the moisturizing. Another girl in my office got a blue peel and her doc told her not to moisturize until it started peeling. Then I read some docs comments and they say to moisturize before and during the peeling process. I'm gonna start moisturizing when it really starts to peel. Good luck to you with your peel.
Hyperpigmentation is a common problem this day al around the world,there's definately a big reason to discuss about it!Thanks for your post!
I'm not sure how you would handle that brand of peel. I've never heard of it. The last few peels I got were 25% TCA through the Dermatologist office. They told me to use mild soap to wash and vasaline if my regular moisturizer didn't help with the severe dryness, cracking, and the new raw skin being exposed. That peel cost me $200 and basically does the same thing with the acne and age spots, etc. The only thing is you do have to do them every few months to keep up with the good results. At this point, I don't want to go any higher then a 25% TCA peel. You have to be careful with some peels, because depending on your skin type, etc. you could have scarring and that defeats the whole purpose! Good luck to you and hope you get the results you were looking for.
Had a melanage mini peel today and left the instruction page at the Dr.'s office as I checked out. I left with an armful of info, just not the info I need! Does anyone have instructions for the first night after the skinluma mini-peel? It came with foam cleanser, sunscreen, anti redness soothing balm, intensive soothing complex and melanage cream. Just need to know what to apply tonight.
How did your results come out? I had mine done yesterday and I'm a little red and peeling around my mouth/nose area. I've tried everything to help my acne scaring and acne dimples on my cheeks. I'm crossing my fingers that this will help smooth out my skin and lighten the scars. How long until you saw results?

Can you tell me more about your peel please, I just have mini peel done for two day now and I don't feel any burn, red or peeling at all, is that normal? Please let me now if you know any ? Thanks