Negatives to Botox

I had gotten Botox twice before. The first time, I...

I had gotten Botox twice before. The first time, I felt my Dermatologist used a bit too much as I had droopy eyelids, but was amazed at how my wrinkles on my forehead virtually disappeared.  The second time, my Dermatologist used less Botox.  It didn't last as long, but I had no drooping at all, with noticeable results.

My third time, I'd gone to a different Doctor who, like the first time, used too much, way too much.  My side effects were much more intense as a result.  My sinuses swelled up, my forehead felt very heavy, my eyelids drooped, my right eye had slightly blurred vision, I also had flu-like symptoms (queasy, fatigue, achy), bruising, and worst of all panic attacks!

This lasted for weeks.  I was in the Emergency Department twice.  The first time was Day three after my injections, which is about when Botox takes full effect.  I had a feeling of doom come over me that I couldn't shake.  It's strange to not be able to move your forehead at all after going throughout your life taking it for granted (The blurry vision was bad too).  Palpitations started, shortness of breath, & increased blood pressure.  I felt a tightness around my diaphragm/upper abdomen.

My Family Practice Doctor diagnosed me with a sinus infection and anxiety.  Antibiotics seemed to help, but side effects from them caused more problems, including Irritable Bowel Syndrome. My second ER trip was from work as I suddenly had an increase in heartrate and blood pressure and shortness of breath, as well as tingling in the arms and hands.

I had one more episode outside the ER visits where I was able to calm myself down.  I keep my Xanax handy just in case.  It has been about 7 weeks now and I'm finally starting to feel more normal.  My wrinkles are also starting to show again.

Botox is simply not worth the price.  The only pro about it is that people don't believe me when I tell them how old I am.  I only hope that my eyesight is not permanently damaged.

Didn't listen to me when I said not to use too much. Hit my nerve during injection. Bruising.

I hope everyone is feeling better and back to normal. I had 3 injections 6 days ago and in the past 2 days I now have extremely high b/p. I called the dermatologist who injected me and she stated that if I was going to have any side effects they would have occurred 1-2 days after the injections! I know my high blood pressure, headache and racing heart are a direct cause of the botox. My primary care doctor has not called me back! I will be changing doctors! Like many others I will never have botox again! I was also considering plastic surgery- no more. I will age gracefully with wrinkles and a sagging jaw line.
Since Botox I am experiencing palpitations during my sleep... I wake up during the night feeling terrible! Heart palpitations, extremely high blood pressure, and headache... My life has changed so much! :(
Just to update. Those palpitations I had are completely gone and I am really fit and healthy and I look really fit and healthy :)

The palps lasted about 2-3 weeks and were really bad for about a week or so (even went to A&E but all was fine). Maybe it was sculptra as I felt senstations in my face during this time that the sculptra was growing in my face. Maybe it was my heart responding to the inflamation in my face - who knows.

I usually feel rough with a headache for a few days after botox (I only have glabella and crows feet done, not forehead) and sometimes I have a very mild cold.

So I know never to have botox just before an important event, a week before is ok, although bruising might last a bit more than a week so 2 weeks is ideal to be extra safe.

I can't think of anything else that would cause these palpitations. I see what happens when I have my next lot of botox. I know I'll get the headache a few days after for sure though. This is the only time I ever have a headache so I'm certain it's the botox. It wears off though so it's definately worth doing.
Had serously bad palpitations for a few weeks after botox. Not sure if it was caused by a virus (very mild sniffles for a few days) or the botox or my body reacting to the sculptra inflammation in my face after 5 months after those injections. It's hard to know the source but the palpitations were seriously bad and I'm so glad they stopped and I'm ok now as I too went to A&E about it as I was struggling to talk from being so out of breath with them.
I've been using Botox for years, probably around 12 yrs. Only thing I hated (other than the price) was the needle marks left. However, for over a year now, I've had pimple type bumps, hard & under the skin. Nothing comes out, until the bump (sometimes it doesn't) goes down, & a whitehead can be removed. My pores are extremely enlarged, not just on my forehead, between brows & sides of eyes. I'm talking all over my face. They are huge (not age related type), I even get whiteheads on my ears & on my lips!! Not just the edges, I had a few on my lips. The damage is already done. My choice is to quit the botox & get the wrinkles, in addition to what I'm living with now, or continue with Botox or try the Dysport that is now being promoted via rebate forms. The dermatologist wrote a prescription for DUAC (antibiotic cream) & it helps, but when it runs out, the bumps come back very fast. I've been using the DUAC for around 9 months now...yipes, wonder what problems that could cause. My older sister tried Botox a couple of times & she also has the pimple type bumps. The Botox doesn't last hardly a month for her. Possibly people with oily skin shouldn't do the Botox? I found a webpage regarding pimples & Botox while back, apparently we aren't the only ones with this problem.
I forgot about my eyebrows ...I noticed while back one was higher than the other one, but I didn't realize it could have been the Botox. I looked back at my high school picture & they were even then.
Also, to those suffering with the side effects currently...this is what I found to be somewhat helpful. Remind yourself that nothing is really wrong with you. This is all a side effect of the botox and it WILL go away and you WILL be ok. I also started taking NOW Vitamin TRUE CALM(contains GABA) with an omega blend. It is very important to take it with the omega blend otherwise the Gaba can't get through the blood brain barrier and you will feel even worse! And stay away from caffeine until the side effects go away because it also makes the symptoms much worse! Good luck...you will get through it!
Wow! I am so excited to find someone with a similar story! I started having anxiety and panic attacks shortly after my first time to have botox injected in my forehead(2 years ago). I wondered if there was a connection but at that time was unable to find anyone on the internet with a similar story. I continued having it done over the next 18 months. And continued having on again off again bouts of General Anxiety Disorder. I just was NOT the same person. And I have always been a happy go lucky person that has never suffered anxiety or depression a day in her life! Unfortunately I never journaled the time line of my anxiety bouts and botox injections. But I would always wonder based on the timing of the anxiety bouts if there was a connection. However, I also thought maybe there was a connection to my large caffeine consumption. So I gave up caffeine for about a year, but still had the anxiety on and off. The last time I had anything done was about 6 months ago and I decided to try dysport instead. I noticed some of the anxious feelings, but I also noticed a weird consistent shooting pain on the right side of my head. I decided that I was done with putting this poison in my body. I haven't had any anxiety for months despite going back to my large daily caffeine consumption. I am not a doctor, nor have I spent much time with a doctor regarding these issues. But I know my body, and I strongly believe there is a connection between botox/dysport and my brain. If anyone would like to contact me on this matter, feel free at gxcgirl@hotmail.com. I also started going to a derm doctor and having lyra and aura lasers performed on a regular basis. The price is comprable, and I have definitely noticed some good tightening and lifting from it. However, not as good as Botox. But no anxiety, feelings of doom and gloom, mind racing, or paranoia! So it's good enough!
I just wanted to let anyone who has had the botox....tylenol PM does not mix well. I was taking it occassionally and with the nausea I have been experiencing decided to stop it. Low and behold no nausea. (I was also very dizzy)I want to know why my dr did not ask any questions about everyday medications? The ingredients which is basically benadryl is a horror combination
I had Botox and Juverderm on a Friday, and by the next Friday I started noticing a pattern of irritability. I would get so irritated over the smallest things. Has anyone else had this issue?
Hi again RAE If you want to check the botox and oracea interaction then go to www.medscape.com and use their drug interaction checker. Registration on their site is free. (I just did it for you and it came up with the same result as for all tetracyclines - not good.)
Hi RAE I think Oracea is doxycycline so it is the same or similar antibiotic to what I was taking. I was taking the doxycycline for 18 days before the botox and for 7 days afterwards. I didn't know that it magnifies the physical effect and side effects of botox. My face did not stop changing (dropping) for 17 days following the injections. I have been taking photos of it so that I know it is not all in my mind. I have been back to my doctor several times but there is really nothing that can be done now. I will just have to wait until it wears off. I am hoping that this does not take longer because of the antibiotic interaction. It looks awful and parts of my face are completely paralysed rather than 'relaxed'. It has been 21 days since the botox and I think it has finally stopped changing, probably because the muscles are as dead as they can get. It looks really bad and I now have bags under my eyes because my eye muscle is not strong enough to hold up my cheek fat so it has just drooped down my face. I have the "Botox Chipmunk" look when I smile and strange shelving everywhere. Please seek medical advice immediately. Aminoglycide antibiotics and tetracyclines already have neuroblocking properties so they exacerbate the effects of botox. I have reported my own reaction to Allergan and the FDA. Allergan told me that the drug interaction is recorded as 'theoretical' because no clinical trials have been undertaken. I assure you the interaction is not theoretical because I have had the same amount of botox twice before in similar places (without taking antibiotics) and this did not happen. My side effects are still pretty severe - especially the anxiety - and I carry valium in my handbag just in case. Anxiety makes you question whether all the other side effects are real, but they are. I still have the side effects that I listed in my earlier post but they have decreased in intensity a bit. I hope the same thing does not happen to you. Feel free to send me a private email if you wish to discuss this further.
I had botox 2 days ago and have had a nasty headache, backache and neckache. I have also experienced palpitations. All of these symptoms have been sporadic. The results havent kicked in yet - well it has in my crows feet a bit but not in my brow area. I am taking Oracea which I have just found out is a tetracycline!
I had botox 4 months ago. Too much was administered to my right eye and the lid drooped. One month ago the vision in my right eye began to worsen. Saw an optomistrist about glasses yesterday. I faileda field vision test in the right eye. the vessels looked fine. He kept asking me if blindness ran in my family. Told me to see a specialist and get an mri. I'm scared, and I don't have insurance and can't afford an mri. Is this a side effect of the botox (3 months po) and will it resolve itself? Anyone heard of this? My blood pressure and sugar is fine.
I myself am having the shortness of breath, pressure on diaphragm, heart palpitations, racing heart and anxiety symptoms. I had botox in my masseters and brow/forehead for a total of about 50 units 17 days ago. Did your symptoms come and go? One minute I will be fine, the next I feel like I can't breathe and my heart starts racing. How long did your symptoms last for? I can't take this much longer!
Were any of you taking antibiotics when you had the botox shots? If so, what type of antibiotics? I have had botox twice before and only experienced mild side effects. This time I was taking a tetracycline antibiotic (doxycycline) at the time and the side effects are horrendous - anxiety, panic attacks, uncontrollable crying, nausea, insomnia, flu-like symptoms, sinus infection etc etc etc. And the effects of the botox have been exacerbated - I only had 15 units in total dispersed across my frown lines, above my eyebrows, crows feet and bunny lines. Not a lot for all of these areas. My forehead is like cement, my face has dropped (I think partly due to bad placement of the crows feet shots) and I feel completely weak and fatigued but can't sleep. I thought my anxiety was because I hated the result but now I think it is the side effects of botox, made worse because I was taking antibiotics. Anyone else with the same problem? I just spoke with the "medicalsupp" guy in New York (yes I made a cell phone call to the US from Australia I feel so desperate) and he would encourage anyone with these symptoms to send him a private email. Please do. He is extremely nice and very helpful. He will not make you feel that it is all in your head.
Tinnitus I had before Botox due to an antibiotic I took years ago, therefore, unrelated. Heavy chest...hmmm, this should be more defined. I felt more like my diaphragm was tightening. I was eventually diagnosed with Gastritis;I could've had this before Botox as well, but was worse after Botox...could also be from stress as I was changing jobs. No numbness. My sleep issue was falling asleep. I took a sleep-aid in order to get 7 hours of sleep/night.
Thank you for your information. I am finding that the effects of treatment may last (and progress) up to 6 months and am trying to determine if there are longer term effects as well. Have you experienced any of the following other symptoms: - Tinnitus (Ringing of the ears) - Heavy chest (short term after treatment) - Numbness of the legs Also, how chronic was your sleep issue (hours per night of sleep)?
My anxiety started the third day after treatment and was my main symptom. Interesting that you mention RLS. I've only noticed that in the past few months, so is likely unrelated...5 months after treatment. I didn't suffer any depression. I think the sleep problems were due to the anxiety. Sinusitis was also a diagnoses of mine post botox.
Thank you for posting this information. I am currently researching problems people are having with botox procedures. At this point, I am seeing strong indications of botox affecting other parts of the body (and mind). I am currently researching the side effects on the brain related to sleep, depression, anxiety and other conditions including RLS (Restless Leg Syndrome). It is interesting to note that botx is know to block acetylcholine. Current claims are that such blocking is done on a localized basis. Research also shows that botox can spread to other parts of the body including the brain. Linking the two together suggests that botox may have unwanted effects on acetylcholine regulation which may result in sleep disorder problems, anxiety, depression, etc. Can anyone reading this comment on similar complications related to botox treatments? Please be as specific as possible regarding when your treatment was done, side effects started and eventual recovery (or continuation of problems). please note that I am a researcher, not a physician. Consult with your physician before trying self-help treatments.
I just had Dysport (the newest Botox) yesterday morning and am now up at 3:00 am having heart palpitations. It's impossible to sleep since everytime I start to doze off I feel like I have to gasp for air and then my heart starts to beat quite fast. It feels like my heart rate drops too low and then has to catch up. Needless to say I wont every get Dysport or Botox again. I just want this to go away!
I got talked into Botox for my left jaw dislocating about 3 weeks ago..horrendous pain..TMJ disorder. Apparently Botox is a new treatment for TMJ to relax facial muscles and is a "cure" for TMJ disorders. Got 110 units in 15 different shots between both sides of my neck up to my hairline. Severe headache, neck pain, palpitations. blurry vision etc...Dentist said headache and blurry vision are VERY common..which she never told me. Problem is I am also having memory loss! I called my dog the wrong name twice this week..The palpitations feel like I had 10 cups of coffee...NEVER again will I be talked into something so stupid..
I'm sorry that you are having terrible side effects. I am having side effects too however they are nothing like yours. Heart palpations (when I thought were gone until today), high b/p and vision problems. The "problem" was the doctors who replying to a question about the Botax side effects they each claimed that there was no connection! All they need to go is google Botax and high b/p! There are many reputable web sites they can go to. I am sure they did but IMO they choose to ignore. I do hope your symptons subside and will disappear after this poison leaves our bodies. This was my 1rst and last cosmetic procedure. May I ask did you fine any differences in your TMJ? I saw a slight improvement but it was not worth it given the awful side effects.
I have gotten botox injections on my forehead 3 times now. I just had my 3rd injection last week 9/24/13. I`m a very healthy, active person but noticed a few months ago a little shortness of breath. I never reported it to anyone. This past weekend 9/29, I went to the ER reporting my shortness of breath symptoms. I was in shock to see my BP was 198/113!!! I am only 48 yrs old. They conducted several tests on my heart and there were no blockages. They just gave me drugs and got my BP down. I`m still experiencing shortness of breath and am thinking it may be the botox. Anyone out there have any advise for me?
I'm so glad to hear that your sight is back to normal. I guess I have to wait at least a month (hopefully less) for my flu symptons, heaviness on my forehead, and headaches to disappear. Meanwhile, I am meditating and relaxing every night and every morning. It really helps, especially for the anxiety. Thanks for your review, it was very helpful.