I Need Surgery As a Result of Lipodissolve

I thought I would try the lipodisolve. After all,...

I thought I would try the lipodisolve. After all, it was offered at the Doctor's office. Well, immediately after my second treatment, I suffered a hematoma (actually there were 2). They blistered and broke open. Consequently, I got a severe infection that involved my entire abdomen. I was nauseated and ran a fever of 101 to 102 degrees for 3 days. Fortunately for me, I received my treatment through the doctor's office. I was treated for the infection for about 2 weeks. After that, now I have such a gapping hole in my abdomen from the infected "blister", I had to go to a plastic surgeon. The plastic surgeon had to cut out the dead tissue and this made the hole "bigger". It is about an inch deep and about 3 and 1'2 centimeters in diameter. I want to let anyone that reads this see that this is a VERY REAL possibility. I am aware of this happening to at least 3 other people in the same city.

Had I known about this, I would have never had this done. It is not FDA approved. I did NOT do my homework. It does not happen to everyone, BUT in the small town that I live in, I am aware of three others beside myself. Don't take the chance, go to the gym. I was going to the gym as well as getting the treatments. I just wanted a little "jump start" and now I have been on my couch for 3 weeks and am going to have surgery, complete with general anesthesia, to repair this hole in my abdomen. I won't be able to get to the gym for at least another 4 - 6 weeks.

I have two more treatments left that I paid for but am SURE NOT going to have done. I am waiting to hear if the doctor will reimburse me for those. I am racking up medical bills that I didn't even see coming. I think the FDA needs to be made aware of these life threatening side effects.

I have had 2 lipodissolve treatments with excellent results.I was a body piercer for 11 yrs and am well versed in aseptic procedure. i had an appointment with a cosmetic surgeon initially and pulled out before i was injected, because the nurse who came to 'prep'' the 'doctors 'sterile field washed her hands but made no effort to wear gloves while opening my sterile items (field pack, needles etc) if i behaved like that in my piercing studio i would have been shut down instantly! the doctor who did my lipodissolve was a ├žosmetic doctor. and she took as many precautions as i would expect going in for surgery! The fact is infection is bacterial, viral, fungal etc in origin, and anything unexpected like excessive redness, heat, itching needs to be seen by a medical professional immediately...waiting to 'see how it goes' is not a viable option. part of the problem is that people feel nervous about questioning their doctor, just because he has a qualification....you dont know that they didnt just scrape by and were last in their class...there are good and bad in all industries...if you think something isnt right or doesnt add...it probably doesnt...so while some procedures can go wrong and people can have bad reactions, after all there are people in the world allergic to water, it is not just the doctors responsibilty to make sure the procedure works, the patient also must be responsible for their aftercare and seeking help earlier rather than later whether it be lipodissolve, ear piercing or surgery
I am a registered nurse of nearly 30 years. You don't need to wear gloves to set up a sterile area. The sterile field is created by the packs that are used. Sterile gloves are put on when touching objects etc inside the sterile zone. Infection is a risk with any invasive procedure, the skin despite being cleaned with a solution still has bacteria on it. Also this lady experienced a haematoma, this is from a blood vessel that has been punctured (needles can do that) obviously the haematoma has created compromised vascularisation to the area, hence the tissue has broken down, It appears that infection occured later. All procedures come with a risk, this is why we are asked to sign consent forms. It is unfortunate when things don't go to plan, from what the poster has said the doctor & the clinic did everything they could to ensure that she received good after care to ensure that her outcome will be a good one

I had lipodissolve done 3yrs ago in kansas spent about 2,000 dollars .What happen was they injected me to much on one side now the right side of my stomach is way bigger than thee other i'm in furious try to call moved and closed

Thank you for posting plus with the photos very brave this is what they never tell us when it goes wrong------Hope you are now feeling better my heart goes out to you
Well, you're right about me not totally comprehending what it was you were trying to say, as your post is rambling and rather incomprehensible. Perhaps you do have extensive knowledge about medical procedures--although I doubt it--however, this was not at all apparent in your post. Not in the least. Just because you make a few assertion (and quite obvious assertions at that, such as the fact that unsanitary practices can lead to infection--hardly a profound insight) doesn't mean you actually have an informed opinion. (And I'm not impressed that you know the phrase "tissue necrosis," by the way.)

I think you've misunderstood what the poster was trying to say, and what's worse, you're calling her a liar. Think whatever you want to think. But I stand behind my assertion that what you've said to this woman is mean. I don't know if I am sensitive by most standards, but I suppose compared to you, I am. And no, I won't refrain from standing up to a bully if I think it's warranted. This is a public forum and I have a right to respond to your post. So it is my business.

By the way, NONE of the other posters have "told the truth" to this woman in the way that you have. For the most part, they have been supportive. And a few people have raised the issue of FDA approval, but not in any sort of counterpoint to what the poster was saying. They were just contributing their ideas. Only YOU attacked her. Perhaps you think people deserve to be attached when they make a mistake or suffer a misfortune. I don't.
Moreover, I really think you aren't clear on the difference between fact and opinion. For example, you are making an assumption that this woman went to a disreputable or unsanitary place to get treatment, but that's not actually a proven fact. It's your opinion, based on a very limited set of facts.

Maybe you were honestly trying to be helpful by giving your perspective, but making assumptions about the poster's character and blaming her instead of being supportive are very unkind things to do. So your post is not helpful, but simply unkind. I wonder what motivates you to behave this way?
-:- Message from RealSelf staff -:-

Charlene, what an incredibly bitchy response to the original poster. What qualifies you to judge the conditions of this woman's treatment, and to know that only unsanitary conditions could cause and infection? Are you an MD? Your critical thinking skills are poor and your attitude toward this woman is unconscionable.
-:- Message from RealSelf staff -:-

Thank you for sharing this. I won't do it...I will just run my butt to the gym!
I hope you can fix you belly. Horrible experience you had.
well i dont know that this will work for me are not and i hope it do like someone said in there story it not the injection its the one that ones that do it should be the blame they should they tell you and it hurt the first why will a person go back
I will start by saying I have no opinion of Lipodissolve at this time. I have not had the procedure, but have only been doing my due diligence in researching the product and the procedure. I am a healthcare provider for more than 15 years and am therefore well educated about health and the human body. With that said, I have to bring up issue with those of you thinking that approval by the FDA is going to change any of these results. NEVER AGAIN you still would have developed hematomas because you had a poor injection from the administrator, not a bad dose of the delivery agent (Lipodissolve compund). Have any of you ever heard of Phen-Fen, Lamotrigine, Troglitazone (Rezulin), Topiramate (Topamax), Propulsid, Tequin, Trasylol, ok so I will stop for now as I could go on for days listing drugs that were approved by the FDA only to be removed at a later date. My point is that if you are going to rely on the FDA to protect you than you are FOOLS. Again, I am not advocating or knocking Lipodissolve, I am just warning anyone researching any type of healcare treatment that FDA approval does not guarantee something is safe. I hope anyone that has had negative results with this procedure that you recover quickly for those that have had positive results, good for you. docniss
Point taken. However, FDA approval would at least provide a layer of investigation and documentation. As I am sure that you know, Lamictal and Topamax are back. I believe that makes my point. Regulation and investigation by such an agency provides the American people with the information they need to make "informed" decisions, hence, the risks they are assuming. Personally, I don't rely on the FDA, but I do feel that they do alot of the leg work. They provide me with findings that I cannot obtain on my own. I can take it from there. For me, I agree with you that the hematomas were absolutley a result of the route used to deliver the agent. My problem with the whole delivery system is that when as many as 80 injections are performed, the protection barrier that the skin provides is compromised that many times. In my case, a bout with MRSA. This procedure requires sterile technique at the very least. Secondly, the potential and reality of scarring needs to be addressed. It is uncomfortable and at times painful. Not to mention the redness and rock-hardness of the scarred areas. This "is" from the agent itself. I would consider my results as a "Sentinel Event". I have since had corrective surgery and will need one more at the end of the summer. I remain vigilant in my efforts to urge anyone considering this form of body sculpting, to assume the responsibility of becoming aware of all possible side effects and adverse reactions. Any healthcare provider that offers Lipodissolve must assume the responsibility of providing a "fact sheet" that lists the same. But, this shouldn't be left up to the discretion of the physician and patient. Some type of regulation and standardization needs to be implemented if this procedure continues to be performed. A quick weekend to New York City for "Certification" is not regulation to me.
Exactly ! FDA approval isn't going to protect anyone. Ambien is FDA approved and look at the severe side effects that it can cause. Bizarre & violent sleep walking behavior. A lot of things that weren't FDA approved here in the US at one point are now, like Silicone Breast Implants.
You may be right. I am still experiencing scarring in the subcutaneous portion. I do know to massage it and the areas are responding. As far as the doctor, it could be ANYONE that performs the injections. I say the injections, the procedure, the vehicle in which the product is introduced, is in and of itself, dangerous. With so much controversy and health issues (i.e. hair loss, temporary loss of vision, and of course what happened to me - which I am aware of others around the country that had the same injury as myself) it should be banned until the FDA can put it's stamp of approval on it. Similar to many oral medications that get pulled from time to time, or product recalls with toys or automobile parts. Not ALL Americans get injured, but when an event is recorded, the potential exists for EVERYONE! I respect your position on Lipodissolve and you are certaily entitled to it. I am not arguing with you, merely trying to clarify my point. I have read the favorable reports and am happy for those people. But as a health professional myself, I cannot turn my head to the amount of injuries I have seen first hand and read about. Like I said before, the same kind of investigation needs to be conducted as in any medication that is introduced to the body that results in health issues. The FDA owes that to the American people. Lipodissolve is an actual medical procedure. If it is going to be practiced, it should at the very least come with literature of the ACTION of the drug(s), side effects, injuries, list the ACTIVE and INACTIVE ingredients, route and dosage, and contraindications. Which, would constitute studies conducted by the FDA. The recipients need to make INFORMED decisions not just "trust" the physician like I did. Shame on me.
OMG I dont know wot I'm going to do when it comes to LipoDissolve, but from wot I read. It seems like the Doctor in your town has screwed you and the others. Y becsuse these problems only happened in your town. Well I can tell you this you have every DAMN right to be mad. If anybody was in your position they'd be looking for someone to blame too. I wish you the best I'm am dearly sorry for wot happen to you. I hope every thing gose up^ from here for you. ;;;)))
From what I understand you should be blaming the doctor that punctured you wrongly not the treatment, since you said yourself the problem wasnt because of the chemicals themselves. Secondly, from what I've researched Lipodissolve is a treatment for people who are already at their ideal weight or close to it, since it's only to target small areas that don't respond to diet and exercise. This seems not to be your case since as you said you wanted it as a "jump START". I'm sorry that you've had so many difficulties because of this but in all honesty I'd have to say it's the doctor that administered the shots who you should be blaming, since the product didn't have any side effects the first time you used it and since the complications you had where only in the areas where the DOCTOR puntured you badly.
The FDA is aware of the problem and made an official statement condeming the procedure back in December, 2007. Everyone really needs to do their homework first. I looked into it, but was scared off by all of the stories.
Thank-you for your comment. I filed a formal complaint in January as well. I am going to try to find their statement hopefully on-line. Haven't yet, but will keep looking.
I have had seven lipodissolve treatments to my upper/lower abs and flanks. I have not experienced any problems. I am going to a dermatologist/plastic surgeon - not a lipodissolve clinic. Maybe that is the difference. All I know is that I am getting great results. I look better now tha I have in many years. It is a process. You will not see any change in just one treatment. Lipodissolve is not to be used to lose weight. It is used for contouring your body. I love it!
I am happy for you that you have had good results and were not injured. I am sending you a detailed description that I hope helps you understand what happened to me. Procedurally, everyone faces the same risk. You and many others did not have your injection sites "infected", but many did. Just like if you and I are exposed to the same cold virus. You get sick with a cold and I don't. I went to a general practioner, a "medical doctor". What happened to me was not a result of the injected product. Immediately after my injections at my second treatment was that I developed hematomas, these are blood blisters. Apparently, the needles pierced subcutaneous capillaries in my abdomen. The hematomas burst, the tissue got infected and the rest is history. The infection uas the culprit. People that read my story need to understand that it doesn't matter what product was injected, and no it was not acid, it was the procedure itself. The delivery of the product, the injections. In all I had 4 hematomas, 2 that were insignificant not to mention in that they healed without incident. Sure the product being injected should be considered, but whatever it is must be delivered by the same route. When a person has a surgical procedure there are inherent risks due to the procedure itself, this is explained in what you sign and acknowledge in your "informed consent" for the surgery. This also applies when you have many, many injections. This "has" happened to other people. Not to everyone, but people must know that the skin is the largest organ of the body. Infection is everywhere, your skin protects you. When you provide an entry portal for the infection you compromise the natural protection barrier your skin provides. I hope this clarifies the confusion and I hope that I have presented the facts in a more understandable way.
I have no idea what clinic you went to, but this just don't look right! I've had many treatments and never had any bad pains, and never had anything like this. I think the problem here is that many clinics don't do Lipodissolve but they advertise the treatment as Lipodissolve. As I understand there is a specific protocol for Lipodissolve but clinics change the protocols to try for faster results. The Fig spa, for example, use some form of acid to the treatment known as desoxycolate. This acid is used in many medicines to dissolve it but some clinics use only this particular acid and call it Lipodissolve. It looks to me like you had treatments with this acid. I spoke with my doctor and he said this is not at all added to Lipodissolve in normal treatments. Other clinics use mesotherpay with completely different medications than Lipodissolve, but again they advertise that they give Lipodissolve! Clearly it would be important to clarify if people on here had actual lipodissolve treatments, or some copy of it?
The experts caution, the news stories are everywhere on on RealSelf, the horror stories outweigh the good. I don't understand why anyone would risk their health and try this treatment. An injection is not innocuous. In this case, you are putting something into your body that no one can readily identify. And those who are injecting, are mere marketers, not doctors whose goal is to help you achieve your goals in the safest and most predictable manner. You said it yourself... you didn't do your homework and it's not FDA approved. Those messages are everywhere and the people who sold you on lipodissolve are not doctors, they are slick and sleezy salesman looking to get rich quick and prey on our insecurities to do it. It's as though lipodissolve is the drug addition of this decade. But rather than junkies injecting themselves, people are paying thousands for someone to inject them. The result is a really rotten trip--one that results at best in no result, and at worst in situations like yours. Your story and so many others are the unfortunate evidence that people need to hear to steer clear of lipodissolve or any fat-melting injection. My suggestion to anyone considering lipodissolve: Take the money and invest in fresh fruits and veggies, a good personal trainer and some fresh air. If you really want to reduce what good diet and fitness cannot, seek out a qualified, board-certified plastic surgoen who has experience with all the options: tummy tuck, body lift, liposuction...and can demonstrate to you how these can help you. Ask for reference to his or her patients, and talk with them. No point in spending thousands on something "non-surgical" and expecting it is safer than surgery, and having an outcome far worse than anything you started with.