Beautiful, Natural, and I Love the Results. - Nebraska, NE

The second paragraph does NOT describe the area...

The second paragraph does NOT describe the area where I had the injections.  They were placed ON the very highest outer part of my cheek bone - not "right beneath my eyes".  The doctor strongly advised against using it there.  So- even though  I would love to even out theskin beneath my eyes a little, but I do not think that a filler will achieve the overall lifted/refreshed look that I am hoping for.

I also plan to have a filler, possibly Sculptra, injected in the nasolabial region.  (I say region because I do not have folds or creases - just an overall lack of smoothness and thinness of flesh in the area).

HKKitty, Too bad the doctors don't learn as they gain more experience... It might be helpful for you to understand the nature of Poly-L-Lactic Acid (PLLA) - AKA sculptra. The immune system has an integral role in fibroblast behavior, (that'd be the lumps/granulomas) in other words its how the the host immune system responds to it. Poly-L-lactic acid differs from the other fillers in that it is dependent on the host immune/reparative response to accomplish filling. Other similar products include silicone and polymethyl-metracrylate (neither is currently FDA approved for soft tissue augmentation). Here is the risk factor: and there is no way even the best injector in the world can control this.... Unfortunately this mechanism of action for augmentation has two potentially negative effects INHERENT TO THE NATURE OF THE RESPONSE : (1) the host immune system can respond less than optimally causing less augmentation then desired; or (2) the host immune system can respond over exuberantly creating granulomas or lumps. I repeat.... INHERENT TO THE NATURE OF THE RESPONSE In the medical literature, there are many reports of delayed foreign body granulomas; in one report with PMMA (Artefill/Artecoll, which is Plexiglas!), up to 12 or 13 years following the injections! The reasons this can occur is that you are injecting something foreign into your body and the human body has a very sophisticated immune response. When it sees something as a foreign invader, it creates a complex reaction to try to get rid of it, and the result is the granuloma which you describe. Your best injectors have no control over this !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! So if your injector is injecting this stuff for cosmetic purposes- he/she is not the best! Its just criminal to take money and cause this kinda of harm. and this is the point the injector will blame you for the problem - Pretty good racket they have going! kooie

I have had one treatment so far, and I am pleased...

I have had one treatment so far, and I am pleased with the results.  The cost is $350 per treatment (two injections per treatment, one on each side of the face).  I am not sure how much he is using, but I think it is 1/2 of one vial per cheek.

I am 30 years old, and I actually had the injections placed right beneath my eyes above the highest part of my cheekbones.  My cheekbones are naturally high, and were beginning to appear angular.  The doctor discussed the procedure thoroughly with me, and determined that since I am younger, there was no need to "attack" my whole face with filler.

I experienced almost no pain.  It was seriously no worse than a minor scratch.  The sensation afterward was kind of annoying, because of the numbing agent in the filler.

I will return in three weeks for the second treatment.  The only thing I am concerned about is that one side seems to have "taken" better than the other.  When I was injected, my left cheek let one small spot of blood, which kind of freaked me out.  Well, a week later, and the side that bled seems to have "plumped" almost imperceptibly more than the other (it's my face, so even though others wouldn't notice, I do).  I think that may be due to healing and residual swelling from the injection, but I don't know.

I have no lumps, but I have been massaging often.  The first two days I may have even overmassaged, as I was determined to not get lumps or nodules.  The last two days I have noticed that when I begin to massage after resting, there is sort of a "fibrous" feel to the underlying tissue, but that it dissappears as I massage the area.  I do not think that I will get bumps or lumps, but I also think that caring for the treatment properly is key.

I will update this entry as I progress with the treatment.

"As far as my homework, isn't this the Surgeon or Dermo's job, the licensed Medical Doctor, the one who has those Diplomas framed and displayed, the one who has brochures prominently displayed in her or his reception area. The one who spent years in medical school, has a trained eye, the one who get the big bucks to do his or her homework on this injectable. Aren't they obligated to look at the trial studies and decide if the risk they put their patient through is an acceptable level of risk. They do not share the serious risks, they get the Reward in their pockets. A very high profit margin. In my experince and that of many of the others injected and harmed, the MD either acted SHOCKED, DISMISSIVE or ANGRY." Right on! The so called professionals are just as accountable at the company who makes and distributes the product. There are actually several to blame for this being injected into us for cosmetic purposes. You take on the docs and I 'll take on the product makers.. LOL
HKKitty, This statement " the good results people are seeing now may be because over time doctors gain more experience with a product." The bigger picture here is the product, yes the injector plays a role but its the product that plays a bigger role. Look here at what the panel of docotrs who approved Sculptra are now saying.... Imagine they were lied to by Dermik... and want this stuff pulled... http://www.accessdata.fda.gov/scripts/cdrh/cfdocs/cfMAUDE/Detail.CFM?MDRFOI__ID=979482
Something recently is a little different. Every doctor who injects now has great results. Oh I mean patient.

I had my second treatment last week, and am really...

I had my second treatment last week, and am really seeing results now.  I had slight assymetry from the first injections (one side "took" a tiny bit better than the other), which he corrected this time.  The swelling is down and I can see that these results are dramatically improving my appearance.

I have always been fairly thin naturally, and my face is the first place I lose weight when I detox and/or diet.  Now I have gained about 5 years back in terms of age appearance.  One, possibly two more treatments will get me there, I think.

I am still massaging like crazy- at every opportunity, really (in the morning, on my break, in traffic, in the shower, and especially before bed -  five minutes at a time).  I have no lumps or bumps to speak of.  Very happy with this stuff, and I love how it is improving my skin texture as well as the underlying tissue.

Please join RealSelf or sign in.

I had the third set of injections last week....

I had the third set of injections last week.  I was seeking more continuity between the original injection site(s) and other nearby areas, so he put one vial more on each side.  I am still seing no adverse effects and the results are amazing.

The doctor did advise me not to massage so much, as it might displace the product from where I want it to be.  I massaged lightly the next day, but not continuously like I had been.  He said that if I noticed any irgularity, then to do vigorous massgae, but not until.  I am still glad that I massaged frequently with the first injections, though.

I go back in another four weeks, and I think that two more appointments - three at the most (at one vial per cheek) will get my cheeks where I would like then to be for the next couple of years.

Had Sculptra two years ago. Fabulous results. Have medium brown skin with red under tone. Am late 50s many think I am in 30s. The treatment at the temples impressed me most as two years later the area is still filled in. Always had high cheekbones and Sculptra has kept them filled. Over the years my face has grown a little rounders but the product is amazing. Finally, the doctor is an artist when it comes to injecting the material. Although even he said that I responded unusually well to the treatments to last so long and promote my own collagen growth.
It took MONTHS for my GRANULOMAS to be seen & felt so don't be fooled by the great results just yet??? I too loved my initial results but time did tell & I got 2 lumps, one under my eye & another by the corner of my mouth which was quite large, after 3 years and cortizone injection they are finally shrinking now, thank goodness. I had the Chief of Plastic Surgery @ a big time Medical Center do my Sculptra (also saw lots of pictures of other Sculptra patients in his little book) & he was teaching other doctors how to inject it so I did my homework & I was dillegent about massage so U never know* Good Luck*
Omaha Plastic Surgeon

My provider and his staff are friendly and well-educated in their practice. I never felt uncomfortable or shy about asking him questions. I also feel that this doctor has a very aesthetic eye for the art of facial contouring.