Anchor Tummy Tuck Schedule March 21, 2011 - Fort Bragg, NC

Three years ago I weighed 327lbs. I lost 125 of it...

Three years ago I weighed 327lbs. I lost 125 of it with diet modifications like clean eating and portion contol. I have a large flap of skin and loose shin and tissue above my belly button. Because of this skin my mobility is impaired. I cannot run unless I'm spanx'd to death which is just not comfortable either. I am also now a certified personal trainer, my way of paying forward my weightloss, but who would trust a trainer thaat looks fat? Not me.. so I decided its time for me to do something for me. :) I go in Monday... I am writing this on Saturday.

The pros of this are limitless.. the cons are just the down time... am I nervous? Heck yes but I know I am in great hands. I will upload before and afters when I get home.

So today was a dressing change.. I was completely...

So today was a dressing change.. I was completely unprepared for what I saw.. instead of the anchor cut that the PS and I discussed as the only chance I had at good results, I basically received a panniculectomy.. I am distraught. My pain is not under control and I would have never gone through with this if he would have told me prior to surgery that he just wasn't going to bother doing the surgery we had talked about. I understand there is bloating and such and the results cannot be judges for weeks but with all the loose skin on my upper abdomen I am at a loss.. sorry for such a negative post..but I had to vent my despair.

Went in for post open wound care.. The PS...

Went in for post open wound care.. The PS explained his choice of not doing the full surgery.. He fixed the drain that was hurting.. I ammuch better now.. thank you all for your support. :)

Ok today is day 4 post op.. My goals for today are...

Ok today is day 4 post op.. My goals for today are to be pain killer free, take my second shower, check on my garden ( point at anything that needs to be weeded) and maybe fold some more laundry ( no I am not able to get it out on my own lol) and make dinner. Day 4.. my lower back is killing me from being stooped over and sleeping in weird ways, my drains are in the dang way of everything, and I would like for the colace to work but other then that my only" discomfort" as the nurse deemed it is in my hip area.. feels like something is pulling..other then that it is a billion times better then day 2. Wish everyone well in their healing or decision making process. :)

Ok on to day 5.. Yesterday went ok. I ended up...

Ok on to day 5.. Yesterday went ok. I ended up having to take a pain killer when I got a tickle in my throat leading to a coughing fit.. new note to self Avoid that ever happening again!!! I will be keeping halls refesh handy for quite awhile. I am increasingly frustrated will my "balls" the drains are always in th way. (My drain insertion points are on the insides of my thighs) I am very very very hopeful that they will take them out Tuesday. So maybe today will be a no painkiller day. Sleep is still on and off but its also improving..I was able to walk alot more yesterday without being exhausted....My new belly button is ummmm something but even with my pot belly and that i now have i am content with the results I think.

Lets see day 6.... boredom has set in. But at...

Lets see day 6.... boredom has set in. But at least yesterday I was able things around the house like dishes and dinner. A little more each day..Not in any real pain which is a huge plus. The is just alot of stretching sensation. :)

As far as the blues goes.. I am having to look at my before pictures often so I can remember where I started. It at least stops the tears about whays less. I have to remember to be grateful.

Its been a week since surgery. I got my drains out...

Its been a week since surgery. I got my drains out today!!!! Its so much better. :) My movement has improved a tremendous amount. I had a visit today and it went ok. I am just impatiently waiting to be able to sleep normally and then the bavk pain will go away. I drove myself to the appointment today. The freedom helped the blues. My swelling is down. I still get tired quickly but its understandable.. Healing more each day. :)
Dr Ortiz

Just fyi. . Dr Ortiz is an US Army surgeon.

Good morning! :)
Good morning! I am starting to feel human again.. like a functional member of my household instead of a lump in my "nest" as my husband calls it.. Today hes back at work so its me and the little one. :) I did get up and was able to make hubbys breakfast and het his uniform ready.. I was thrilled to be able to move that much.

How are you doing? I saw you are starting to swell.. I have read that is pretty normal. Are you ready to be drain free? I am keeping my fingers crossed for you.
Sooooo ready to be drain free!! Last night was the first since the surgery that I actually slept all night. :) Today I'm moving around easier...and faster, too! Yeah, I have some swelling, but not enough to really complain about. Glad you're doing better also!! :)
I hope so.. cause right now I am distraught.

Thank you for your kind words :) It really does help to hear from other people who have delt with this.
I had breast lift/aug last year and it looked so crazy after. I know you didn't get what you imagined but I am sure when you heal and scars fade you will feel better about it. Best Wishes!
They did a muscle repair too... Its really painful to cough lol I am very nervous about the drains being pulled out. Today I have been in a ton of pain and have the blues realy bad.. I hope the results get a little closer to normal looking. I used to have 2 large fat rolls one hung way down.. they removed what they could but I still have some flab and loose skin left. Maybe I will get a revision when I forget how much this hurt. Lol

Being an Army wife is an experience.. hubby has been gone a lot the last 3 years.
I see...so you basically got a full tummy tuck, except for some reason he didn't make it as tight?!

How's your son dealing with Mommy having a boo-boo?
Yes I got a full TT but I was expecting a anchor TT which is both the hip to hip incision and from breast bone down.. It would have adressed the loose skin and fat above my belly button better thn what the regular did. I am very disappointed but I have to be happy with at least getting rid of the fat roll that hung down so far.

My son have been very helpful to me. He picks up what I drop lol.. I hope it continues next week when hubbys leave is over. :-)

Hope you get some rest tonight.
I am scheduled for a diastasis repair (muscle closure) & tummy tuck by Dr. Ortiz of Fort Bragg & he seemed very confident in the consultation but vague. I am small framed and the only weight I have is the stomach area. My main concern is his experience & the army is very secretive. I just want to be ok afterwards. Do you have any before & after pics to view & would you recommend him? Anything important I should know beforehand? Sorry a/b all the questions, I'm just really nervous!
I dont eat alot. I am full quickly and have not been hungy. My husband is quite concerned. This morning i was able to get done an acceptable amount of breakfast 3 egg whites, 1 oz of turkey ham and whole wheat toast. I was proud of me and for the first time the antibiotic didnt kill mem

As fas as the binder goes i have been undoing the top two hooks and letting me have some breathing room. Lol I detest the thing. Some of the surgeons on here say they dont even put patients through the " torture" since there is no proof it helps. So i a feel ok with having it a little loose if i am eating or just sitting.

How are you?? Did your appointment go well?
My binder is velcro. I bought a few pairs of Spanx and plan to start wearing those as soon as they take this drain out Monday.

My appointment went very well...my doc is pleased with the way everything is looking and that I have minimal swelling so far.

Now, if only I could stand up straight to relieve myself of this torturous back pain....!
P.S.- I posted a new pic on my review page.
I can stand almost straight today..My back really needed it too lol You get your drains out before me.. i get mine out Tuesday. Today I have very little pain in my sutures but the muscle soreness is being relieved with advil.

How are you sleeping?

We are getting there :)
I am going to look at the photos. :)
My binder is like a girdle I think its spanx type material with zippers and eye hooks. I have a velco one but itches horrible and bunches up weird so I prefer this one.
Today is my first day of taking nothing to relieve the pain. It's great that you are almost straight now...I think I'm still far from straight.

How many drains do you have? I only have one. It has started to bother me a little bit today, probably since I'm not taking anything.

My sleep is so-so. For some reason I can only sleep a few hours at a time. I'm accustomed to sleeping on my belly and/or side, never on my back.

If you don't mind me asking, how old are you? I'm 25, gonna be 26 on April 16th.
I dont mind at all I am 35. A mother of a 5 year old boy, an army wife, and a financial officer( I work from home so didn't hve to take time off for the most part)

I have 2 drains... they are in the most obnxious spots I could have imagined right in the creases of my thighs. I think since I have all the skin I do I was able to stand up straight faster.
Two of my friends are Army wives...I don't know how you women do it. I am such a clingy person...being away from my husband for the past five days has been torture, I can't image dealing with deployment!

Your drains do sound like they could be nothing but painful. Mine is sticking out of my vagina. I keep wondering what they do about the hole once they pull the drain out. Yuck!

Did they do muscle repair on you or just deal with the skin? I still don't understand your whole situation. Sorry.
Hey!! I just read your update...glad things are gradually getting better for you. Question...how are you eating? I get full soooo much faster now, I'm thinking it's from the binder.
A visit should help. :) and the drains do get a lot of attention. My 5 year old caught a peak of them and now has to know everything about them.. (I was sad when the PS said I couldn't get them out today) lol

I haven't been peeking much other then to adjust the foamy stuff and add bactracin to my belly button.. but I can't wait to see it in 2 weeks. :)
My husband plans to bring my son to visit me starting tomorrow. As far as my daughter, I think I'll have to wait until they remove the drain to see her, otherwise I could end up in some serious pain as a result of her cute curiousness. I can't wait!! :)

Don't be shy or ashamed of yourself...be proud!! And it will only get better. Hugs and kisses!
You are probably right.. missing family is hard. But I promise you taking care of you is perfectly acceptable. ;) you cannot care for them unless you care for you first. Maybe you will feel up to going home a little earlier or maybe having them visit?

Tomorrow I may get brave and post some pictures. I just don't wanna scare people off. Mine was more for reconstruction then just a tummy tuck. My PS removed about 10lbs of skin and fat..But believe me anything is better then what was there lol
If its taking forever for you to fall back asleep and your not taking the narcotic pain killers anymore I would suggest asking your surgeons nurse if you can having a sleeping pill to get a solids night rest.. Sleep is very important to your healing.
The first 2 nights I had a horrible time with sleeping cause of the up and down to go pee. Last night was only once. Today it is more normal.
My pain is not nearly what it was yesterday. It seemed like the tegaderm (sp?) was pulling on the incision site. Once they removed that today I as able to move more freely and that has helped a tremendous amount. Yesterday I as taking percocet on schedule not a second late but today I only had to take it once. I think I got so excited about the shower and the freedom of movement I got a little ahead of myself and decided I could handle going to walmart. Lol. Not quite ready for that. I can't take the huge motrin they gave me so I am onl gonna take 2 normal ones.

My PS used internal stitches, glue and a layer of steristrips to hold it together.. Then moved my belly button up. (That doesn't look great yet lol) I am taking montana arnica on schedule and that seems to keep my bruising to a minimun but I look like I swallowed a basket ball. What did you think when yu saw your tummy without the dressings?
I am sooo in love with my new and improved belly...I keep undoing the binder to peek at it! LoL Although, I haven't seen my belly button yet, so I'm anxious to see that tomorrow. When I went for my post-op on Tuesday my belly button started bleeding when he took the bandage off, so he stuck a piece of gauze in it...I'm hoping that looks just as good as everything else.

Actually, I am still taking the pain killers at night...my insomnia is more about being home sick than anything else.

Don't worry..you will be home before you know it.  I am the same way and don't like to be away from home and my family.  It is not a great feeling I know but just focus on the healing right now.

The more you relax and rest the quicker you will heal.  You will have your life back to normal in no time at all.  And with the bonus of the beautiful new tummy.

Hang in there:)