Nearly Shut Eyelid

I was injected with 15 units (supposedly less than...

I was injected with 15 units (supposedly less than the usual 20) to treat my frown lines, the vertical wrinkles on my forehead between my eyes. Five days later I woke up with severe eyelid droop over my right eye, and 7-10 days after the injections the eyelid was completely shut when I was relaxed. I could strain to keep it open to see, but only for about an hour or two at a time. When I did this my good eye opened much wider than usual and quickly dried out.

It is now Day 24 after the injections and Day 20 since the droop, and the droop is still very noticeable. I feel it physically all the time, and it is difficult to see. Not to mention that I look like a freak or just a very ugly woman. This is one lesson about vanity that I have learned very well.

On Thursday it will be three weeks of severe droop. I have noticed a very slight improvement, but I'm still unwilling to go out socially or look strangers in the eye. Throughout this time my vision has been compromised. The eyelid partially obscures my pupil, and the eye itself is not focusing correctly. The Botox affected an eye muscle as well as the levator, or eyelid, muscle.

I take comfort in the thought that the effects of the botox are not permanent (at least I hope) and that it is improving, however minimally, every day. But until then my life is pretty much on hold. I stay home. I cancelled my Match.com account. My search for an equal partner will have to wait. My friends will have to wait--except for the few who are willing to go out with me looking like a freak. At work I get looks of pity. I've been totally up front about what happened because I want everyone to know what the risks are.

I don't know how long this will last but given the rate of improvement I don't expect to be back to my old self before 3 months. I hope that it's not noticeable to other people about 2 months out. Next week begins the 4th week.

At least I've learned a lesson. People will just have to accept me for who I am. I know for myself that I will never have Botox injections again.

The other things I've learned are:

- that doctors are not incentivized to understand the side effects and recovery time. Because recovery time is so long, most patients don't keep in touch with their doctors over the entire course. It is the responsibility of providers who have been notified of negative side effects to check in with their patients weekly. Most prefer to distance themselves from the problem, however.

- most doctors downplay the risks, partly because the reported side effects are low (3%-5%), partly because they earn their livelihood by giving injections, and partly because they don't fully understand the extent to which the side effects and negative results impair their patients.

- most "providers" do not have enough knowledge of anatomy to practice safely and effectively

It would be interesting to see a documentary made on the negative side effects of Botox

It's Week 4, still with noticeable ptosis. Photo...

It's Week 4, still with noticeable ptosis. Photo attached.

Google ad. The provider was a trainee in a group of trainees led by a mid-20s trainer who directed exactly where the injections should go. To their credit, they refunded me, paid for brimonidine drops prescribed by my ophthalmologist (which did nothing), and offered to pay for a spa treatment, such as a massage. I haven't taken them up on it.

Update: It has been 10 months since the injection that caused the droop, and I have full mobility again. After having used Botox regularly for five years, between the ages of 30 and 35, and having become pretty dependent on it, I have to say that I am really happy to be Botox-free. I used to get Botox in three areas: my frown lines, my upper forehead, and crow's feet. I was addicted to it and obsessed with maintaining how I looked in my 20s. Now, being Botox-free for several months, I feel liberated and happy. I realize that what I was trying to treat when I started using Botox at the age of 30 was the underlying cause of my frown lines--basically the stress in my life. Since I resolved the problem (got divorced, improved my career), I don't need to frown anymore. I used to rely on Botox to keep myself from frowning and from looking angry, but that's because I WAS angry. Now when I feel myself frown or squint in anxiety, I remind myself to relax, and I'm happy to report this has become beneficial to all aspects of my life. I don't envision ever returning to Botox.
Wow- that is great. I can just imagine how liberating that feels. Good for you!
love this :) glad it worked out and gave you a new lease on life
Hi Repega, Four months later and I feel back to normal except when my eyelids are swollen from sleep in the morning--then the crease is more pronounced in one eye. I don't remember it being that way before the Botox so I imagine the muscle was weakened and needs to retrain. I'll post another update at the five-month mark. Also, there is still a little Botox controlling my frowning.
Hello its crazy because I had botox in March and got a droopy eyelid from it it lasted till may but I still have time where my eyelid after sleeping has some difficulty opening up in the morning and I never had that prior too botox I hope it will be completely out by end of july that will be 5 mos.
Aurelie24, it,s great to know you are back to normal! I have been through a similar bad experience and finally I start to see improvement, this is my week 5 since my eye got droopy and week 6 since the injections, i still notice the droop but it is much better, actually each day helps, and reading about your personal experience makes me feel positive about having my eyelid back :) please Let me know your eye status at month 5 and Agustín thanks for answering, kind rewards!

Stay away from botox! It's a deadly toxin. After first treatment I was sick for about 2 months but initially I did not associate those symptoms with botox I thought I am just sick but when 3 day after my second treatment I ve developed same symptoms ( flu like) but with fever of 104 I thought I was dying.......I done tons of research and now I know how risky it is , never again!

Kid66 - I had two experiences of droopy eye from Botox so I think about as qualified as an expert to tell you what to expect! Each instance of droopy eye lasts about (6 weeks) - that's what I told Aurelie and per her last post, I was right on. The drops may help a little, but for me they had little or no effect. There is no litmus test to know whether or not you are may be susceptible for droopy eye and if you read the fine print, 1% of those who have botox done are at risk for droopy eye. So imagine my surprise when it happened not once, but twice! I went to 2 doctors who ran med spas and even after I told the 2nd one I had droopy eye the first time he insisted he has done "thousands of patients" and that I would not have issues with his "work" - WRONG! Things finally changed when I spoke to my dermatologist who actually shared a diagram of facial muscles which showed that anything injected in the forehead will control the eyelid muscle. If you want to avoid being at risk for droopy eye - do not do forehead injections - PLAIN AND SIMPLE. I don't care if the doctor insists in not injecting botox past the pupils of your eyes because as Aurelie said - it can spread, so why take the chance? I have had half a dozen botox treatments since then - only in the "11s" between my eyebrows and the crows feet area and have been completely thrilled with my results. You would think I would be bitterly and utterly opposed to botox after TWO bad experiences, but I am not. Botox is an individual choice - you need a good doctor who will listen to your concerns. I'm sorry you are going through this kidds, but I can tell you for a fact, it is only temporary and not permanently disfiguring. Trust me, there are worse things in the world. If you want to know more, feel free to private message me. I will give you the facts as I know it vs. bashing all who choose to have botox.
You have amazing perspective, phoenixvalleygirl. A good post.
I wasn't bashing botox I"m actually just curious how long it takes and if it can have permanent effects its been since march and I still am having trouble opening my eyelid after waking up from a night sleep it takes a few seconds, I never expeirence this prior to botox . There has not been any bashing in my post about botox.

im so sorry for your results, Im worried now i have never had botox but wanted to go and have my forehead done becuase of these lines i hate them im only 27, but lines i dont like, so if everyone says dont inject into forehaed to advoid droopy eye does injections between the brows help the forhead? because i want it done so bad but i cant afford a loss of bad result i model and dance my looks are my income, any info help?

Aurelie - I think it's noticeable to you because you look at it everyday. Just as I was looking at my droopy eye - both times for 5-6 weeks! Looking at your week 5 picture you are nearly 90% there. Botox only lasts about 12 weeks so I would venture by the end of week 6 you should be back to normal. My comment about not giving up meant don't give up because it will get better - it's not permanent. The first 2 times I had botox I had 2 doctors who had to brag about the "thousands of patients" they had done botox on and never had droopy eye problems - yeah right - until me. I read the post about not going beyond pupil line - yeah, one of the 2 droopy eye docs told me the same thing and I still had a problem. Bottom line - you want to avoid droopy eye - stay off the forehead! I have had several botox injections in the frown lines and in the crows feet area and have not once had a repeat of droopy eye. Aurelie, I wish you continued recovery from droopy eye.
there are some machines (at least here in my country Hungary) called "ultratone futura pro" for face and body that stimulates the muscles of the face or the body. Or some other muscle stimulating equipments, that can help work out the botox faster than 4 months. Check it on the internet, and ask your doctor about it.
Thank you but I think I'm going to wait it out. It's certainly been good for having a period of forced reflection time.
Are all the pictures above you are the two last ones?
Yes, they are from Week 2, Week 4, and Week 5, respectively. The droop is worse in the morning and evening, and better in the middle of the day. Being in the sun and squinting has been a good strengthening exercise. People still look at me oddly, and I still feel the difference physically, so I think it will be another 2 to 6 weeks before my lid is back to something resembling normal.
I havent recieved a photo are update on your progress It has been almost 2 months for me and it still looks the same to me with the drops alittle improvement but only cause of the drops without it looks the same. How are you doing has your eye gotten better. Please let me know
Hi kid66, it's been 8 weeks and I'd say I started to look "normal" at around 6 weeks. That is, I could tell the difference but strangers couldn't. Right now, there is perhaps only a half mm difference. My eyelid creases don't match, but most people wouldn't notice. How many units did you receive?
What an unpleasant experience for you. Hope you do better soon.
Sorry to hear of our story. There must have been some extravisation of the botox to the levator of the upper lid, not simply the forehead musculature. Fortunately, it is reversible. Keep us posted on how long it takes for full function to restore which would be helpful to other individuals.
I've been posting pictures every couple of weeks and will let you know when I feel like myself again. Thanks!
Wow sorry about your results. When I got my frown lines done, my doctor told me she would not inject any where on the outside of my pupil line because that might cause sagging/drooping. I wish you better luck if you choose to get it done next time.
No next times for me. Thanks, though!
oh forgot to mention - both instances of droopy eye last 5-6 weeks so hang in there.
Thank you! We'll see. It's been 5 weeks and it's still very noticeable.