Breast Reduction - From DD to Hopefully B Cup - Nashville, TN

Ready to have smaller boobies!! Insurance has...

Ready to have smaller boobies!! Insurance has denied due to an exclusion that there is no way around, so my husband and I are paying for it. The surgery is scheduled for September 23, 2014 and my pre-op appointment is on September 3, 2014.

Very very nervous about this being the right decision - it is partially due to discomfort and shoulder/back/breast aches, and partially due to me hating the way I look. I have wanted this surgery for many years, but had not seriously considered it until recently. I am 47 years old, am a small frame, 5ft 4 and around 140 lbs (which is about 10lbs overweight for me) and I wear a 34DD.

I have a friend who recently had the surgery and she has sent me a list of questions to ask the PS and all kinds of comfort tips for afterwards, so she has helped immensely.

List of questions for pre-op

My friend who had the surgery last year, sent me this list of questions. Maybe it is helpful for others :)

What technique do you use and why do you use it? Why is it best for me? Are there other options?
-Ask what size you will be in.
-Will you be required to wear compression?
-What materials do you need to bring to the hospital?
-Do you see any issues with my skin healing
-Do you have video of you performing the procedure
-May I have contacts for someone 3 months post-op, 6, and a year out from my same surgery (you can ask them about the surgeon, facility, what they like/dislike)
-Do you keep the nipple and areola attached or do detach it. If attached how do you do it? (This will affect your sensitivity)
- Will I have a catheter?
-Will I be on blood thinners? (If so how long) (tell him if on birth control)
-What is the primary complication you see?
-What happens if I do not like my result? Does the price I'm paying include revisions?
-How can I reduce the visibility of scars? Do you suggest any scar treatments (I've read a lot about silicone sheets)
-What % of your patients experience fat or skin necrosis? Why did th at happen?
-Will I have drains?
-What pain meds do you offer?
-Can you show me what my breast will look like after?
-How soon can I return to normal activity/lift over 5 lbs
-Are you on call 24/7. May I have your cell number?
-Ask him about "dog ears"- Will you correct this problem at no cost?
-How many years have you done this
-Will anyone else be assisting you? Who is it? (You can request no one else but him work on you)
-How long will I be under?
-Will I have meds I need to fill before I arrive?
-Do I need a mammogram before the procedure?

Hospital list-
Shirts that open in the front
Extra pillows
Stool softener
Hand mirror

Pre-Op appointment

So I had my pre-op yesterday, got my meds, paid for everything and talked with my PS for almost an hour. He answered all my questions in detail and went over the whole process of surgery through recovery with me. We talked about complications etc. He really made me feel much less nervous and I am happy I chose him :)

Before surgery pics

So this is a few days before surgery. I have gained at least 10lbs over the past few months, so excuse the rest of me looking flabby also :( I plan on doing something about that once I recover!! I am usually around 130lbs and 5ft 4. I am a DD cup and a pretty small frame overall.

Freaking out.....

So today I started totally freaking out about the surgery. I emailed the office and asked them to send me more before and after photos and was just generally panicking that I had made the wrong decision to do this, wrong doctor, what could go wrong, just freaking out... Went to dinner and had a large margarita and now I am calmer :) I'm sure this is normal right? Sigh.....
Nashville Plastic Surgeon

I'm right there with you, lol. I've been trying to find out what time my surgery has been scheduled for, but every time I call it goes to voice mail. Right now I'm a nervous wreck!!!
I'm ok today. I just went over all my medical information with the surgery center and they've changed my surgery time to 7:30 am. We have to be there by 5:30 am!! Which is good because I will not have time to freak out!! We will be fine!! :)
I'll be 30 minutes behind you.
They changed it now to 9am which is fine :) Good luck!
Hi there ... I had mine done 9/11/14 -- from 38DDD to C. 5'4" - 152 lbs. My doctor so wanted to reduce me to D not sure why but I stuck to my guns and my last request was C. Still swollen somewhat but am pleased with the size. I did not go through my insurance either and don't regret it a bit. I had some back pain but I mostly wanted to do it because they were heavy, hung down (I got a lift also) and I was so tired of clothes not fitting. I was somewhat surprised of how my middle area and stomach showed so much more after surgery. Guess boobs were covering it up. Sooooo can't wait till I can get back to excercising!!!!! My doctor said 3 weeks no lifting and no accelerated heart rate. Good luck with your surgery.
I've told my doctor to go for a B cup if at all possible. He said he will try but cannot promise. So I let him know to do that if at all possible. I am a small frame and really do not want to be bigger than a B. Glad yours went well! I'm ready to get this done!!
Dreamingtree, I totally understand the pre op stressing out and doubling guessing everything! I had BA with Dr Burgdorf in July. I was so beyond happy I chose to go with him. I hope you've been able to rest some this weekend! Where are you having your surgery? Mine was Williamson medical center.
Thanks girl! I'm going to Centennial in West Nashville. I went to a concert downtown today and had some wine, so I'm at east right now :D
Oh and the best post op item I found was one of those bicycle water back packs! My husband would fill it up and lay it beside me. The long straw and chew on straw was a blessing. Kept me well hydrated. I never expected that holding a cup would take so much effort. Sore under the arms...not sure about the reduction though
Good tip thanks! I have a 2 liter camelbak, so we could use that :)
Insurance company denied mine but after providing them with chart notes with everything I tried to alleviate neck and shoulder pain, a letter from my family dr, and a letter from me discussing impact to my life, they overturned the denial. You may want to try again...good luck with your journey!
Thanks but I worked with Health Advocate, and there is no changing an exclusion put in by the company I work for. I have no history of breast cancer so it is denied. My doctor showed plenty of proof of medical neccessity, but that wasn't why it was denied :(
Bummer. I had decided if insurance wouldn't cover mine I was still going to go thru with it. At 20 days post surgery, I am so glad I had the surgery and I know I would feel the same way even if I had to pay 100% of it.
Agreed! I know it will be worth it, even if I have to pay payments for 18 months :)
Welcome to your Journey I too was initially denied BR but I appealed and it was over turned I am set to have a revision of axillary breast tissue under my arms.
Hi dreamingtree! Welcome to RS. I hate to hear that your insurance will not pay. My journey started in February. My first insurance did not cover it at all. Luckily, we were switching insurance companies. After a denial, which I appealed, I was approved. My surgery is also scheduled for September 23. My pre-op is September 10. I am 41, 5'3", and 140 lbs. My size is a 32HH. I am hoping for a full B or small C after surgery.
Hi there and good luck :) At first I was told insurance would pay, and then I was told there is an exclusion, where unless there is breast cancer history, it will not be covered. We got a no interest payment plan for 18 months so it is doable. We have no debt other than our mortgage, so we can swing it :)