Latisse Turned my Eyes from Green/brown to Darker Brown - Virginia, VA

I used latisse for 3 months and it made my eyes...

I used latisse for 3 months and it made my eyes darker. My eyes were sort of hazel/brown with a brown ring around the pupil and green around the outer rim. I first noticed in a photo that my eyes were looking darker. Then I started examining them in the light and then outside in the sunlight, desperately looking for the green around the rim that always made my eyes look much lighter outdoors. Well, it was nowhere to be found. My eyes now look solid brown, mud brown and all the light and pretty color is gone from my eyes now. I really regret having used latisse.

I want this review to be absolutely honest and I will admit that I did not follow the instructions. I was advised that the bottle of latisse would last longer if I used one drop for both eyes and my own applicator. So I bought an eyelash brush and put one drop in the cap, then dipped the brush in the cap and applied it along the upper eyelid, and then on the lower eyelid. But I NEVER put a drop of it in my eyes, and only used one drop per day.

I'm so upset about this and praying that my eyes will return back to their original color but I don't have much hope based on what I have read about color change being permanent. I'm shocked this happened to me after only 3 months of use, and by using only one drop per day. I hope this review will prevent others with green/brown eyes from trying latisse. My mom and sister who have green eyes did not have this experience, so I think it depends on how much brown you have in your eyes to begin with.

update on my eye color 6 months after stopping latisse

I stopped using latisse 6 months ago after discovering that it turned my eyes from hazel to dark brown. After doing some research online on how to lighten my eye color, I started using MSM drops & alpha arbutin drops in my eyes. I have been doing that on and off for the past 5 months. I think they have lightened a little, but are nowhere near their original color before I started using latisse. Updated picture is attached.
N/A

I am hoping what you experienced would happen to me. I was born with brown eyes as well as grew up with them. When I was around 20 years of age, about the time my far away vision went bad, I lost a lot of brown pigment in both eyes. I am now 56 years of age and have been ashamed of my eyes for over 36 years. I didn't want people to see my unwanted lighter colors in my eyes. I would like to make my eyes dark brown again just as I enjoyed growing up. I can't stand wearing contacts. So colored contacts were not the solution. I recently talked to my eye doctor about my case, and he recommended Latisse for me. Let's face it! When I meet someone for the first time, the first thing they would be interested in is my eye color, not my weight! Because a slim body does not necessarily make a person beautiful!
Any luck with any further lightening?
No, and I stopped using the drops. Have your eyes gotten any lighter? Did you ever try using the drops?
Yes, it must be a side effect. Did you read about other people getting this effect too? Its a shame because eye colour should not ever change with eye drops.
Those drops really appear to have lightened your eyes. Have you ever considered getting hand painted lenses to get your natural color back?
They are definitely lighter, as they were almost opaque right after I stopped using latisse. But it is unknown whether they got lighter because of the drops or because of the time lapsed after using latisse. Now I'm trying the honey drops, but I don't think those are doing anything at all. I have been using those for about a month.
I like your brown eyes better than the hazel color.
Thank you so much for sharing your story. You have lovely eyes either way. I have been thinking about using in my left eyebrow, I'm blonde, so they're very light, but somehow I overplucked the left one, and can't get it to grow back. Do you think it could migrate into my eyes if I used it on eyebrow?
I would be very careful. It may accidentally run into your eye or migrate when you sleep or perspire. Anything out around the eye will actually get into the eye as well.
Thank you, Blossoms. Think I'll try to wait till they've improved on it. I wonder, is the same ingredient that turns your eyes brown the same one that causes the growth? If not, maybe they can fix this.
It's the same ingredient - it's called prostaglandin analog. This is what stimulates the growth , thickens and darken the lashes and darkens the iris.
What would your thoughts be on using the isis to help eyes that turned dark grey green from light blue green ? I'm considering trying it. A lot report lightening happening from honey but then I've read that nothing can actually get penetrate through the cornea and get to the iris stroma other than latisse.
I don't think the msm & alpha arbutin drops work. I'm going to stop using it. I read that the msm is supposed to soften the cornea to allow the alpha arbutin to pass through.
At the risk of sounding crazy, have you considered detoxing, going raw/green for a while and honey or honey chamomile drops?
Thanks for the feedback. I wanted to try it because I'm desperate for my eyes to lighten back but don't want to waste my money. Please let me know if you continue with the isis and if it makes any difference.
That makes sense. Brown eyes are beautiful, too, but they're not what you were born with so the shift must be rather disappointing. It's like using a lotion and ending up with a different finger shape. It just isn't the desired effect.
They do look a little lighter to me, but not hazel.  Do those drops hurt your eyes at all?  I'd be afraid they would mess with my vision, but I don't know anything about them.
Hi, The drops don't hurt but it is a real pain. It has not affected my vision. Turns out I was quite attached to my previous eye color. I have nothing against brown eyes on exotic looking women, but they just look plain boring on me. Otherwise, I would not go to such extremes as putting drops in my eyes. I'm even looking into the Stroma procedure which should be available in the US soon. Turns brown eyes to blue.
Totally get what you mean about wanting your old color back and that it isn't a knock against brown eyes.  I'm sure once Stroma hits the US we will have a community for it here, although I'm not sure when that all will happen.  But if I hear anything I will let you know.  We do have a post about it here.
I contacted Stroma and it's going to be another year or two, as they are still finishing clinical trials. They have also been working on targeting lightening other shades, so they may be able help eyes that greyed and darkened over frim latisse. I would wait for the procedure to have been around for nearly ten years before doing it, as it takes that long for all known negative side effects to surface. I got aquamid when it first came out but if I waited ten years I would never have got it. All negative findings on the permanent filled only really came out about seven years later.
Yeah probably a good idea.  Do you know if Stroma is available outside the US or are the clinical trails just for the FDA?  If it is available outside the US you could look at the long-term studies in those countries.  You definitely have to wonder what the long term effects would be.
The trials have been done outside the US and it has not been done anywhere else.
Gotcha.  Thanks for the info.
I like your new color too! Be confident in yourself! It looks like dark chocolate to me :)

That's awful, girly. I have been trying to decide about using Latisse. I'm a nurse and was wondering if the color change could really occur or if it were some uncommon side effect that had never even happened, but could be a possibility. But after reading your post, I will not use the Latisse. I have no problem with brown eyes, just rather not take the risk if it will change my eye color. Thank you so much for posting this, I really appreciate it. I will pray for you too that your original eye color returns. You still have gorgeous eyes tho! I wonder if revitalash contains the same thing...hmm