54 Year Old with Menopot - Myrtle Beach, SC

I have added photos from before and 14 days after...

I have added photos from before and 14 days after smartlipo. The after pictures are, also, after having 1 treatment of velashape which cost $425.00 for 4 treatments. Is it normal to be still swollen and have a crease above the belly button? The compression garment was worn for 11 days at which time the Dr. told me I could go to spanx. I wear spanx 24/7 now. Please leave comments to let me know if you've had similar experiences and that the creases will go away. Thanks.

Smartlipo of mid upper and lower abs - 19 days post

I woke up this morning still with the crease above belly button and more swollen. I took pictures and sent them to my doctor - he seems to think I need lymphatic massage - built up fluid which is causing the bulge. I explained that their technician is on vacation and I cannot get in for the velashape procedure and asked if it was going to hurt my results - I have an appointment a week from tomorrow. They said if it did that they would make it right, but thought that it was no big deal to wait. Have any of you every experienced this problem? It is not a bulging belly button - it is above the belly button. I have lost 7 pounds since the procedure and powerwalk at least 5 days per week - 3 miles in 50 minutes. Please tell me what you think.

54 year old with menopot

I am posting pictures of 3 weeks post-op and almost a month (27 days) post-op. The shelf is still very apparent and I could just cry. It is very hard and I am hoping the velashape will do away with it. I will, also, see the doctor today for his opinion and I will definitely voice mine. I've seen a couple of pictures with this shelf like appearance and the outcomes were not very good. I pray to God that that is not the case for me. Another PS posted about my question regarding the crease and she said perhaps the garment is making it - not so, I wear spanx with no stitching in that area.

54 year old with menopot - 28 days post-op

Today's pictures are after velashape done on day 27 - the area is very red and swollen, but the area I was concerned about (the shelf) has softened and he has cleared me for golf again as long as I wear the spanx - will try hitting a few balls today to see how it feels. I do look quite large in that spanx, but I really am not - doctor impressed that I have lost 5 pounds and kept it off - I got a happy face!!! I guess he removed about 1200-1400 cc's from stomach area. Tell me what you think.

54 year old menopot - 33 days post-op

I am down to 140 today - 5 pounds from my goal weight. I am 5'6" with big bones - before procedure I weighed 148. I work hard at my weight loss - powerwalking, golfing and eating 1 meal per day with snacks of watermelon, pineapple, peaches and dark cherries. I drink lots of water during the day, but partake in a couple of glasses of wine in the evening to relax me. I am leaving for Italy in 11 days and want to look awesome!!! We will be going on a lot of walking tours there, but I do plan on eating tons of pasta, bruschetta and drinking their wonderful wines - I will not over do it. I do see light at the end of the tunnel today - the shelf has gone down somewhat, so maybe the PS is right - residual swelling. Tell me if you see a difference.

54 year old menopot 35 days post-op

Woke up yesterday and looked great - just had to wreck it with my core challenging golf game. I was so swollen yesterday and tender afterwards, but the sunshine and golf game were calling my name. As you can see by the pictures, I am quite swollen again. I did log in 6.5 miles for yesterday so what the heck. I just hope that I look fab when we leave for Italy on the 6th. I'm sure with all the pasta, wine and bread in Italy that I will have to be careful although we have many walking tours while there.

54 year old menopot 6 weeks post-op

As you can see by the photos, I am still quite swollen. The shelf like appearance above the belly button seems to be lessening. I went shopping yesterday and bought clothes in a smaller size which made my day - clothes look great on, but I still can't wear what I want on top. I was hoping by the time we left for vacation, that I would look as good as some people in week 6. Apparently my body decided to do it's own thing. I am exercising on a daily basis and maintaining the 140 weight - I guess this old body has a set point, too!!! I guess 135 is unattainable when you reach this age.

54 year old menopot

I didn't get all 3 posted - here they are.

54 year old menopot

Today is 8 weeks postop and I really can't see that much change from the 6 week pictures (I identified the ones above as 8 weeks, but they were only 6 weeks. I wore spanx last night because of the swelling caused from the powerwalking and I did wear them the whole time in Italy. I am down 1 more pound - 139 for 5'6" big boned frame and I'm happy about that. Let me know what you think. I only hope and pray every day that it completely goes flat without that shelf!!!

Some pics of Italy.

54 year old Mesopotamia

More pics!

54 year old menopot

More pics - will post rest tomorrow

54 year old menopot

The rest of our photos - C couldn't possibly post all - picked some of the best!!! Down to 138 today - 3 more pounds to get to my goal weight!!! Will update pictures of stomach next Wednesday at the 9 week point. Has anyone every still been sore just around the midsection where belly button is at this point after surgery? The shelf still comes and goes!!!

54 yearold menopot

Forgot about Padua, Verona and the Island of Burano.

54 year old menopot - 9 weeks post-op

These pictures were taken within 30 minutes of waking up. I was completely flat when I woke and the edema developed within that 30 minute time frame. As you can see the middle area is still discolored so I assume that it is still healing. With that being said, I do have hope that someday I will wake up and I will be completely flat again (it's been 2 years since I have been like that). Is anyone else out there having the same problem?

55 year old menopot - 10 weeks post

It seems like just when I think I turned the corner, the edema above my belly button returns!!! I guess I will still have to be patient. I got a terrible cold when my twin sister flew down to visit, so my appetite is not what it usually is. The good thing about that is that I am now 2 pounds within my weight goal of 135!!! Some days, I look great, but at the end of the day the edema is back. Patience is a virtue - apparently I have none. Let me know what you think.

55 year old menopot - 11 weeks post-op

I can see definite changes this week - the stomach is getting flatter, but no I have developed a little dimple on the left side of my belly button. I can definitely see improvement overall, but the mid section still has some healing to do. We shall see - be patient Laura!!! My butt looks gigantic, but it really isn't - wearing a size 8/10 now depending on the manufacturer!!!

55 year old menopot - 12 week post-op

As you can see, the lower belly looks great, but there is still swelling above the belly button and a little indentation on the left side. I really think I am still healing and all of the above problems will go away without a revision - praying!!!!

55 year old menopot - post-op 13 weeks

It is now 13 weeks since the surgery. I still swell after getting up in the AM and wonder when this will stop. I still have that small ledge above my belly button, but I think it is getting smaller. I am still hopeful to have that flat stomach of 2 years ago - be patient Ms. Laura!!!

55 year old menopot - 14 weeks post-op

I'm still have swelling above the belly button, but this area is still sore so I assume I am still healing. This area is not swelling as bad as before, but is still there. There, also, looks like a little smile type area on the left side below the belly button - don't know what this is. I am quite flat, however, everywhere else. Optimal results should occur by the 19th of November, sso I have a couple of weeks to go.

55 year old menopot - 15 weeks post-op

As you can see from the pictures, I am still swelling like crazy!!! It could be the 4 days of golf in a row and not wearing the spanx support - ugh. Just wondering when there will be no swelling at all. I am very happy with the results when the swelling is not present. Still maintaining my 136 weight although people tell me my face is now looking gaunt - 5'6", medium frame - that weight is right where it should be and that's where it's staying!!!! Hope everyone is happy with their healing process!!!

55 year old menopot - 17 weeks post-op

I went for my last velashape treatment on the 10th of November and since this time have been very swollen in that troubling area near the belly button - 4 inch section around belly button. I saw the plastic surgeon on the 17th and he seems to think I need a slight revision around this area in January. I told him I think that this area is still healing and that the swelling has increased since I had the velashape treatment as it is very tender in this area. How long does it actually take for this area to fully heal? I've seen anywhere from 6 months to a year. He said I would only have to pay for supplies, but God only know who much more that would be. He said they would just numb the area and lipo it. What do you all think - please give some input. I have posted latest pictures and you will see the area of concern.

55 year old menopot 18 weeks post-op

As you can see, I still have that shelf like area around the belly button. My PS is going to have his secretary call in January to schedule a revision of this area. I am hoping that before then that this goes away. He said that this little area is the hardest to get rid of and this is usual. Would only have to pay for supplies, but still more than I want to pay - I think I've paid enough. Your thoughts please.

55 year old menopot 19 weeks post-op

As you can se by the pictures, I do have one small area around the belly button which is disgusting. I keep hoping and praying everyday that it goes away, but it is not budging (ha ha). Give me your thoughts.

55 year old menopot - 20 weeks post-op

My stomach looks great, but I'm now sure that the area around the belly button will be there forever unless I do a revision. I took pictures with the I-pad instead the camera hoping that the pictures would be more clearer to see. NewShape31, TwoPlusOne, Ray of Hope. Cakeshop - these are today's pictures. I think the camera makes it look worse and magnifies the problem. What do you think? My twin thinks I'm absolutely nuts to even consider a revision.

55 year old menopot

Just wanted to show all you what I looked like in my early 40's. I was into body building in my late 20's and early 30's and never had a stomach until I hit 53. This is why I wanted my stomach back - I have always had a muscular build - Air Force, 25 years in a paper mill.
Myrtle Beach Plastic Surgeon