My Story: Implants/Explant/Implants/Explant/Implants/Explants/Implants

In 1995, I had breast implant surgery at the age...

In 1995, I had breast implant surgery at the age of 40. I used saline implants and for 10 years, I was the happiest woman on the planet. I felt desireable, sexy, healthy and loved my body for the first time I can ever remember.

In 2005, I participated in a clinical research trial at a Nashville teaching hospital for silicone Inamed implants. The effects were profound and horrific. I became desperately ill when I had a reaction to some of the chemicals in the implants. I was confined to bed for almost a year until I had the silicone implants removed and replaced with saline implants.

Because of the problems I had with the silicone implants, I was offered a free mastopexy. I don't recall a time where I had ever had so much pain- even birthing my 3 children! Post surgery #3, one breast was smaller and higher than the other. Additionally, the scars from the mastopexy were very obvious...something I was not prepared for. My chest looked like what you would expect to see in a "Frankenstein" movie, scars all around the areola and under the breast leading to the nipple.

Last month, I had revision surgery to correct the problems. I used Mentor saline implants this time, which will hopefully be the last. I feel good and I am not having the awful symptoms I felt with the silicone implants.

Ladies, there are a lot of risks involved with this surgery. You will hear a lot of positive information via the media and doctors' advertisements. Do your homework. Despite the terrible experience I had with one facility and the silicone implants, the vast majority of women will tolerate the surgery and love their implants. However, some women will have adverse reactions to any implants and unfortunately you won't find out until it's too late.

I have spoken to and met dozens of women across the US in the past 2 years who became ill like I did. I recommend that you use saline implants as the complication rate is much lower than with silicone implants. I have had both types and my experience is that there really is not much difference between the two. Some say that silicone implants are more natural. That was not my experience.

Choose wisely and make your health your priority!

Vanderbilt- Nashville. The doctor there performed two surgeries that were not acceptable. I had to go elsewhere to resolve the issues he created.

sarahlouise2009, "Stupid" is a harsh word to use when someone just made their most intimate experience public. But I admit that I, too, saw the inconsistency there. Saline implants ARE made with a silicone shell. That being said, the human body starts to break down the implant immediately. In 13 years time, for example, the shell of my left implant had COMPLETELY dissolved. Free flowing silicone was everywhere inside of my implant pocket (Gosh I hope none of it migrated)........Anyway, I didn't experience any pains or problems, like many women have reported, but perhaps those women had issues because of micro ruptures. I dunno. It's just conjecture.
THIS IS STUPID , you do realise that the saline implants have a silicone shell rite? silly
No way, silicone has much better fell than saline. Had both, and which to saline due to the big scare. Silicone is much softer, people can not even tell by the feel. That is not the case with saline.
If you are thin and have very little breast tissue then silicone implants do feel softer and have less rippling--and I said LESS--because they ripple too....But silicone implants FEEL just as fake or even more so because they are COLD. They will NOT warm up either -- not even if you get into a hot tub! The Boiling Point of silicon is : +/- 4274 °C (3265 °C). Crazy huh?.......That being said, I am NOT a proponent of breast implants. Just read my review..........Implants must be replaced AT LEAST every 8-12 years, because they break down. Also implants they cause problems with nursing (the implant causes tension on the mammary glands and the scars, if placed on the breast, can cause loss of sensation, which a woman needs in order for the "let down" response to occur.......IMO, if a woman REALLY, REALLY wants her breasts to be larger, she should opt for fat transfer--BUT ONLY in the RIGHT hands. (Look at my last update on my review--Ugh!). Do your research and do NOT trust ANY website. The doctors hire expensive advertising and marketing web designers to blind us with their propaganda. Instead--ask people here about their experiences. And be careful--Some doctors have staffs that post FAKE reviews. (You can see their posts on my review too--that caused lots of drama as well!)
Interesting, I had my saline implants removed after 12 years, had no health problems just felt it was time. Now after two years I want them back in however the same doc wants to put in silicone not saline, now I have to decide after reading this. thanks
Hi, tripleA, I'm Daisy rose! I had my explant done a year ago and I am now regretting it and I am thinking of getting an augmentation again. I'm just wondering if you went back and had it down again and how did it go ? Thanks Daisy!
Thnks you so much for your advice, I wanted to get the saline implants the whole time and now you reassured me. I am getting my surgery at the beginning of February and I am so excited since like the girl who posted about having no chest literally, I pretty much have the same problem. And ignore the lady who is against it. She obviously hasnt ever had any issues with her breat and she should feel lucky, not bash our wants in having bigger breast. Thank You so much Briana
I know that implants can make some women ill but i wonder why your body reacted so bad to silicon implants. Since both saline and silicon have exactly the same shell. were your silicon implants ruptured?
I know you think it is a despicable practice; however, you might feel differently if you had almost no breast tissue and a lopsided chest. I am 18 years old and have had the same size since I was about 10 and I have tried to live with it, but I no longer can. My mother is not a huge fan of plastic surgery, but realizes that I should not have to live my entire life being uncomfortable. I am planning on getting a breast augmentation either this summer or next summer. I would like to do it this summer because then I could start college and hopefully no one will know. Thanks for your advice on silicone and saline. The first doctor I consulted with suggested silicone and the second saline, so now I am unsure and trying to weigh the pros and cons of both.
Unless it's for reconstruction, I think breast augmentation is a despicable practice that should be curtailed. Why not work on raising the self esteem of girls and young women, instead?
I believe in working to raise the self esteem of girls and young women, but come on....Life happens. After two pregnancies, one being a twin pregnancy, my body was left in total disrepair. I no longer feel sexy without clothes on. If I have this surgery and it helps me feel sexier, and my husband gets the 'fringe benefits' from it, then good for me.
Some people say that saline do not feel as natural and they ripple. Some people have gotten sick from saline also. Why? i have wondering if i should ever get implants. I have been thinking about it for years. Wish there was something natural, safe and permanent.