I'm 41!! Two Beautiful Kids, Married Almost 10yrs and It's Time to Put Myself First. - Murfreesboro, TN

I have struggled with my weight since age 13. I...

I have struggled with my weight since age 13. I have two beautiful younger sisters and we grew up eating the same foods and playing the same sports. Yep, I was the heavy one. At age 18, I was my heaviest 265. Not cool for a Sr. in HS. From 10th grade on, this was the most horrible time for me. At age 20, I began to binge and purge as it was "the thing" to do in college. It never helped my weight but I had CONTROL over my life for the first time. Really? No. I started taking every diet pill, drinking and smoking cigs to stop the hunger. In 1997 I started Phen/Fen and it worked, got down to 140lbs...ended up in the hospital within 8 weeks with all kinds of problems. My weight came back, started purging again and just delt with life. Needless to say...at age 41 I still have stress, weight problems and am ready to put myself first. No problems with purging, no pills, no drinking and no smoking..yuck! I have been researching Sleeve surgery for the past few monthls and have met the best Dr. My insurance will not cover the surgery and I will be paying back my parents for the next 200 years. :) I am so excited to start the next step of my life and see the positive changes. I know this will not fix my marital stress, my emotional stress and make me perfect. However...it's the first step to start loving myself and start letting other's in to allow them to love me. Dr. Westmoreland, Murfreesboro,Tn said this in the seminar..."I can fix you physically with surgery but God will be the one to heal you Spiritually".

Three weeks til surgery!

Hey y'all..quick update. Still dealing with the cravings and my son's 6th bday is this weekend, which means party foods. Oh my! I have started this week by doing my best to go total protein liquid and lean meats before the weekend. Yep, getting the headaches and wee bit grumpy. This will pass I know but geeze Louise...it's surely not fun. We will all struggle in different ways and I wish y'all the best for the rest of the week and weekend. Cheers!!

WOW!

The best part of joining this site is reading all the comments, suggestions and praise for all of us getting ready for the surgery, post surgery and in thought about it. We are not alone y'all. Have a wonderful weekend. Cheers!

18 days til surgery

Today I started my liquid plan. I know it's a bit early but I am scared to death about messing up.

15 days y'all....

Met with my Dr. yesterday. I have 15days to go. Asked about future gall bladder problems after surgery, never had them before, just curious. Had a weigh in, down 8.3 since 2/18. :) Today is day three of liquids, not too bad. I am hungry but I think it's natural, right? I will be #3 on the surgery list and my Dr. assured me he would have plenty of energy for me. :) My dad went with me and I thought he would bug out when it was explained that 75% of my stomach would be pulled out through one of my incisions. Ha! I just started laughing out of control...I really didn't need to hear that part either. I am smiling all the time now. Not sleeping and this is not good. I am awake all night. Wide awake!!! But I am sure this is all my new energy I have...yeah right. :) Blessing to all who are reading this. Cheers!

Last meal...

Okay, I decided to have a "last meal". Probably not the best choice since I have been total liquid for three days, but I did. Had dinner with my husband and kids at home. My choice? A salad. Really? Yep, with sugar free raspberry dressing. It was so good, no carbs good proteins and no cheese. Tomorrow will be my 14 day mark until surgery. I am so pumped! Stress y'all watch out. Monday morning, I found out a dear coworker and friend took his own life. This has been very difficult to understand and soak in. I am doing my best to stay emotionally strong and not eat to help with the pain. For those who read my blog, please don't let pain and stress take over. Talk to someone, get help, ASK for help. We are all human and struggle in different ways. Blessings to all who are reading this.

9 days til surgery

Well, I have been home for two days with super headache and some tummy trauma. Uggg! Maybe this is what total Ketosis is all about. My greatest fear is failing myself. So, I leave you with this awesome quote..."The task ahead of us is never as great as the Power behind us." Blessings to all who read this.

Tests..

I'm having blood work and an EKG today. Tomorrow is the BIG day! It's been a challenging month and I have no doubts this was the right decision to have the surgery. I will not lie, I'm a bit nervous and excited at the same time. I can't wait to share my next phase with my new friends. Would also appreciate a prayer tomorrow at 1030am. :)

Count down! :)

It's all gravy from here. Might be a while til I can post an update, I don't have the fancy phone. :) Blessings to all who read this and cheers!

It's on...

Headed out the door to the hospital. Surgery at 1030. Can't believe today is the day, a new start to a new me. Blessings to all who read this!! Love, Michele

Day 3....

Hey y'all. What an adventure! On Thursday I had my surgery. It was "perfect" per my dr. I had a hernia that was fixed and my sleeve was "textbook". I had minimal pain, felt more pain in my throat and head. It was if I had been doing three weeks of straight ab crunches. Had a few stiches due to having to cut some muscle. :) My dr reported my liver was in perfect condition and he could not be more pleased with the procedure. I didn't sleep at all at the hospital, had an amazing staff to care for me. I was dc'd at 11am Friday morning. I will tell you, move around as much as you can while in the hospital. I got up every 30-45 min to use the bathroom and actually walked the floor at 5am. Everyone will be different and I am so happy with my progress. When I got home, few family and my bestie came to visist. I took my pain meds every 4hrs and slept about 3.5 hrs at a time. Sipped on an EAS shake all day, made sure I had water and just took it easy. Today I got up about 5am and have little pain today. I am hungry, but I am going to start the same routine today. Protein shake and water. I did start back my daily multi vitiamin, Women's Alive gummies. I hope to continue to share my progress after surgery, not the weight loss as number one but my overall emotional health as well. Best of luck to you who are still waiting and Blessings to all who read this.

Oh my...

Day 6 post op. Probably had the worst past few days. I am dehydrated and am so sleepy! I am doing my best to sip on my water all day, sip on a shake all day and I have stopped taking my pain meds. I have been able to use my popsicles to help with fluids. I haven't figured out the pain, gas, tightness and full feeling yet. It's a bit all mixed together. :) I have been way too active and I need to remember I did just have surgery. I'm down 20lbs as of today. I am thankful for the opportunity to feel this and keep in site that this is a new journey of learning and rediscovering my body again. Blessings to all who read this. PS..I didn't have a drain port, blood thinner shots and now I just need to know when it's okay to drive. Getting crazy in here!!!

12 days post op....

Hey y'all...hope everyone is doing great!. I am off and on dehydrated. I am doing things right and am still learning. I have learned the difference in feeling full, hungry and pain. Get full fast :), I have hunger grumbles, which I thought would not exist anymore and the pain is from the muscles which were cut. I see the Dr. next week for my first follow up. I have been staying low key, avoiding friends as I am still not sure of reactions and still am emotional about my surgery. I am sure this is all normal and is part of my learning process. I love reading all the posts about others adventures. Stay positive for those who are waiting, stay strong for those in recovery and blessings to all who are reading this.
Dr. Westmoreland

I had the best Dr. and surgery experience. Dr. Westmoreland has amazing bed side manners, is postive and an amazing Christian man who prayed before and after my surgery. I would highly suggest Dr. Westmoreland and his staff to anyone interested in gastric surgery.

How goes it these days? I've been following you from the start and I'm one week from my own op :)
yay!!! well thanks for posting again :) I'm sure it normal to be feeling that waay but its all going to get better from here on out! :) I have good news! all my paper wrk was finally submitted to my insurance so just waiting on gettin approved for a surgery date!
Congrats! Do a lot of people have to have the drain port? I did read one person's who said they had it but no one else so I didn't know if this was normal or why they use it.
Great review, thank you for focusing on how you feel as well as the numbers, having said that twenty is pretty amazing. I hope you get to know soon which feeling is what, and you can get on top of the dehydration. All the best to you!
Loved reading ur update omg :) 20 lbs lost!!!!? Congrats and good job so proud of uuu!! :) keep us posted.. I'm almost there !
So glad to hear everything went well and minimal pain. Congratulations! Here's to a brand new life of health and wellness!!
Glad to hear you are doing so well. I was happy to get to meet you at the hospital. Hope we can keep in touch. Sandra
How are you doing? I was worried about you when I got home. You had alot done and hated you were not feeling well. I am proud of you too! We are about to make a stand on life and take it back. Yes, I'd love to send you my home information and get together when we can.
omg sooo efin exciting!!!! hope your feeling ok!? :) looking forward to your pics and your review dolll! :) yay! you can do this!
Hope everything went well and you're on track to a speedy recovery! !
Good Luck today! I am on after you. My surgery starts at noon. Hope to meet you while we are in hopsital. Sandra
Prayers that all went well for you today!
Hope things go smoothly tomorrow. We can do this!
Welcome to the losers bench!
The next week will fly by so hang in there! Luckily I only had to do a 5 day pre-op diet which wasn't that easy even still. Be patient with the process and you'll do great. Let me know if you have any questions.
You've got this! Keep your faith up, you're in the single digit count down!!
omg your soo close!
Okay 9 days! I have been home two days with headache and tummy trauma. Maybe this is what total Ketosis is all about. Love this saying..."The task ahead of us is never as great as the POWER behind us..."
I'm so sorry to hear about the loss of your friend. I've lost many friends over the years and I still find it incredible that people won't ask for help or seek council from a professional! But I'm proud of you for not turning to food for emotional help - it just doesn't solve anything. Keep up all of the great progress!
omg congrats!! proud of u!!!! stay strong u got this!!! :) just did my psyc eval. yesterday getting closer!!!
Congratulations! See you on the Loose r's Bench soon.
16 Days to go!! How are you doing on the liquid diet? I'm nervous and happy for you!
Actually, I'm good. Little hungry but it's natural. I'm down 8.3 since 2/18. I was told I can have broth, sugar free jello and shakes during this time too. Sparkling flavored water is helping with feeling full too. Just no red dye. 15 days!
omg u are soo cute! u sound like such a sweetheart...i enjoyed reading ur story I totally feel the same way! I have marital stress as well but 1st things 1st getting my health back, yay for you and getting ur surgery. I dont have a set date just yet but in the process, awww sorry ur insurance doesnt cover it!!! yikes! ur parents are awesome :) I will def . keep following you feel free to check out my profile! :) best wishes u can do it!!!!!
I'm 16 days til surgery! Thanks new friend, your comment just made me smile. I do have amazing parents who are support and my dad meet my Dr today. Cheers for the rest of the week. :)