My Cups Runneth Over - Murfreesboro, TN

My name is Alexandra, I am 20 years old, a 34G,...

My name is Alexandra, I am 20 years old, a 34G, and I want a breast reduction for Christmas.

I began wearing training bras in the third grade and quickly graduated to real bras. By the time I entered 6th grade I was 5'2, 125 pounds, and a full B-cup, at least. By the end of 8th grade I had grown two more inches, gained 15 more pounds and was just about bursting out of my Cs. However, the size fit my frame.

The next few years contained one eating disorder, two diagnoses (hypothyroidism and Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome), three new doctors, and voila! four new cup sizes. With the latter came back pain, neck pain, sore breasts, grooves in my shoulders, and stretched skin. I can no longer play soccer, which I did competitively for many years. I can't even run. Hell, I went for a 30-minute walk the other day and by the end of it, my back was screaming. And that's just the physical.

I am tired of buying tops that are too big just to accommodate my chest. I am tired of looking like a square on legs. I am tired of having to drop $80 on a bra or bikini top. I am tired of constantly being treated like a sex object. I am tired of directing people's eyes (not just those belonging to men) toward my face. I am tired of being poked in the chest or stroked like my breasts are a pregnant woman's stomach or something. I am so immensely done with any and all of the following:
"Are they real!?"
"You are so lucky!"
"You're just blessed, girl!"
"If you got it, flaunt it!"
"Don't you think you ought to, you know...cover up a little?"
"You don't want them!? Well, we should trade!"
"Uhm...your bra is showing."
"Nice tits."
"I like your shirt."

I have made appointments with plastic surgeons in my area and I am prepared to fight with my insurance company to get the procedure covered, as I am putting myself through college and have no hope of paying out of pocket. But I simply cannot keep existing like this. I would greatly appreciate any advice/suggestions/encouragement.

Just a few more photos

More photos to document the saga of my rapidly expanding breasts

Dr. Nicholas Tarola

I have an consultation booked with Dr. Nicholas Tarola for this Wednesday - as in two days from now. I am so excited!!

Not So Great News...

So I met with a plastic surgeon today (Dr. Nicholas Tarola in Murfreesboro, TN) and was told that although my BMI is within the acceptable range to submit a claim to my insurance, my BSA requires that 500 grams be removed from each breast in order to deem it medically necessary. This would leave me with something around an A cup, which is not proportional to my frame. UGH.

I cannot possibly afford to pay for the procedure without insurance and Dr. Tarola's suggestion of a breast lift was not helpful. This is a $6000 dollar procedure, which I am equally unable to pay for.

So basically this is my only option:
Lose weight with diet modifications alone (I am already doing this) but not gain any muscle, as this will skew the calculation. I already cannot do any cardio because of back pain, so this severely limits my exercise options. I guess I can keep doing yoga...or swim.

All in all, I am rather discouraged and frustrated.

CCs vs. Grams

So at my appointment with Dr. Tarola this week, he held up a 500 cc implant to indicate what the removal of 500 grams would do to my breasts. He said "I can't do that to you - that would be basically your whole breast." Except...ccs are a measurement of volume, whereas grams are a measurement of weight. 1 cc of water does weigh 1 gram, but breast tissue is far more dense than water. And my breasts in particular are extremely dense. I didn't bother to argue with Dr. Tarola at that point, but I'm wondering what the reasoning behind such an odd comparison was. Anybody else have a similar experience with a surgeon?

Post-Op with Dr. Peebles

It has been forever and a day since I posted but that it mostly a good thing. Long story short, I found a board-certified plastic surgeon named Dr. Roosevelt Peebles and I had my breast reduction on December 16th. As of today, I am one week and one day post-op.

Dr. Peebles is an incredible surgeon. Though he is not the most personable, he has very many years of experience, and he is very obviously dedicated to excellence in it. He gave me all the information I could have asked for and he was incredibly honest with me about everything from drains to scars to insurance. He is something of an eccentric, but he is very, very good at what he does.

About my surgery. Though originally slated for a 3 and a half to 4 hour operation, I was under anesthesia for 5 hours. This was because I had a large amount of fibro-glandular breast tissue that proved very difficult to cut through and manipulate. In fact nearly 100% of both of my breasts was comprised of this tissue; there was almost no fat. Volume-wise, I began as a DDD and after the swelling goes down I should be a large B or a small C.

Just Some Post-Op Photos

These photos were all taken a week post-op. I got the drains and bandages removed on the same day. I HATE DRAINS. Also ignore the redness, that is my skin being sensitive to the tape that was adhering the bandages to my skin.

Somehow only one photo got posted.

2 Weeks Post-Op

Today I had my 2 weeks post-op appointment. The stitches around my areola and down the vertical incision on my left breast were removed. However, some on my right breast were left in as this area is healing somewhat slower in comparison.

As you can see in the photos, my right breast is somewhat more swollen and red underneath the nipple area. I thought this might be infection, but my surgeon explained that when tissue is rearranged during surgery, the veins are destroyed. Arteries continue to pump blood to the area, but there are no veins to carry it away, which results in some blood pooling. This is not dangerous, but more comparable to a bruise.

My scars seem to be healing well, and are quite thinner than I expected. Truthfully, I was never concerned about scarring, so thin, barely visible ones are something of a bonus.
Roosevelt Peebles Jr.

Extremely experienced and does beautiful work. Some people might be intimidated by his prioritization of information over warmth or an abundance of personality, but I am not one of them. I felt completely confident that he would do an excellent job and he did.