My Cups Runneth Over - Murfreesboro, TN

My name is Alexandra, I am 20 years old, a 34G,...

My name is Alexandra, I am 20 years old, a 34G, and I want a breast reduction for Christmas.

I began wearing training bras in the third grade and quickly graduated to real bras. By the time I entered 6th grade I was 5'2, 125 pounds, and a full B-cup, at least. By the end of 8th grade I had grown two more inches, gained 15 more pounds and was just about bursting out of my Cs. However, the size fit my frame.

The next few years contained one eating disorder, two diagnoses (hypothyroidism and Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome), three new doctors, and voila! four new cup sizes. With the latter came back pain, neck pain, sore breasts, grooves in my shoulders, and stretched skin. I can no longer play soccer, which I did competitively for many years. I can't even run. Hell, I went for a 30-minute walk the other day and by the end of it, my back was screaming. And that's just the physical.

I am tired of buying tops that are too big just to accommodate my chest. I am tired of looking like a square on legs. I am tired of having to drop $80 on a bra or bikini top. I am tired of constantly being treated like a sex object. I am tired of directing people's eyes (not just those belonging to men) toward my face. I am tired of being poked in the chest or stroked like my breasts are a pregnant woman's stomach or something. I am so immensely done with any and all of the following:
"Are they real!?"
"You are so lucky!"
"You're just blessed, girl!"
"If you got it, flaunt it!"
"Don't you think you ought to, you know...cover up a little?"
"You don't want them!? Well, we should trade!"
"Uhm...your bra is showing."
"Nice tits."
"I like your shirt."

I have made appointments with plastic surgeons in my area and I am prepared to fight with my insurance company to get the procedure covered, as I am putting myself through college and have no hope of paying out of pocket. But I simply cannot keep existing like this. I would greatly appreciate any advice/suggestions/encouragement.

Just a few more photos

More photos to document the saga of my rapidly expanding breasts

Dr. Nicholas Tarola

I have an consultation booked with Dr. Nicholas Tarola for this Wednesday - as in two days from now. I am so excited!!

Not So Great News...

So I met with a plastic surgeon today (Dr. Nicholas Tarola in Murfreesboro, TN) and was told that although my BMI is within the acceptable range to submit a claim to my insurance, my BSA requires that 500 grams be removed from each breast in order to deem it medically necessary. This would leave me with something around an A cup, which is not proportional to my frame. UGH.

I cannot possibly afford to pay for the procedure without insurance and Dr. Tarola's suggestion of a breast lift was not helpful. This is a $6000 dollar procedure, which I am equally unable to pay for.

So basically this is my only option:
Lose weight with diet modifications alone (I am already doing this) but not gain any muscle, as this will skew the calculation. I already cannot do any cardio because of back pain, so this severely limits my exercise options. I guess I can keep doing yoga...or swim.

All in all, I am rather discouraged and frustrated.

CCs vs. Grams

So at my appointment with Dr. Tarola this week, he held up a 500 cc implant to indicate what the removal of 500 grams would do to my breasts. He said "I can't do that to you - that would be basically your whole breast." Except...ccs are a measurement of volume, whereas grams are a measurement of weight. 1 cc of water does weigh 1 gram, but breast tissue is far more dense than water. And my breasts in particular are extremely dense. I didn't bother to argue with Dr. Tarola at that point, but I'm wondering what the reasoning behind such an odd comparison was. Anybody else have a similar experience with a surgeon?

PS, what you said about wearing more than one sports bra, many women do that ;) I would suggest going somewhere with a bra fitter and get sized and fitted appropriately. It makes a huge difference!
Hi Alexandra, my Granny lived in Murfreesboro :) I'll begin by saying that I know I don't have to wear your breasts ;) but to me you look very proportional, especially in the underwear pictures. You really don't look like a G cup, more like a DD maybe imo. Prob just the pictures. You really have a gorgeous, true hourglass figure, with a nice waist and hips (many large busted women aren't as shapely as you). I was bustier when I was younger and found some great minimizer and comfort strap bras (under $40 also). Just a thought, while you wait. It might help. Good luck to you!
I have been fitted before (the last time was within the past three months) and have been consistently measured a G cup for about 3 years now. This measurement is UK Cup Sizing, which instead of doubling letters, just goes down the alphabet. So my American sizing equivalent would be something like a quadruple D I think. It's true, the size of my breasts is one the smaller end, but it is more the weight that causes my problems. My breasts have almost no fat in them and are extremely dense (a 4 on the mammogram scale) which makes them very, very heavy. My goal in seeking a breast reduction is more to remove weight.
A UK "G" is a US "I". You might consider get sized properly in the US just for the sake of clarity. Also, don't forget the scars, they can be considerable (sometimes disfiguring). Not trying to put you off, it's just that you're young and really borderline on needing this imo. And the larger you are, the greater your body surface, which is what they use to determine the amount of breast tissue removal required, and while some are thrilled with an "A" cup to reduce weight, it really wouldn't be proportional at all for you I don't think. Here are some guidelines from aetna insurance re calulating breadt amount removal bases on body surface area http://www.aetna.com/cpb/medical/data/1_99/0017.html To calculate body surface area (BSA) see http://www-users.med.cornell.edu/~spon/picu/calc/bsacalc.htm OR BSA (m2 ) = ([height (in) x weight (lb)]/3131)½ BSA (m2 ) = ([height (cm) x weight (kg)]/3600)½ Note: Breast reduction surgery will be considered medically necessary for women meeting the symptomatic criteria specified above, regardless of BSA, with more than 1 kg of breast tissue to be removed per breast.
I appreciate your concern (you are certainly not the first person I have encountered to have a similar reaction), however, I have been considering and researching this operation for a number of years now. I am aware of the risks, I know the criteria and the formulas. This is not about appearance for me, but health and quality of life. You said I am young -- you're right. Someone my age should be able to run without pain, to be active and healthy. My genes have screwed me over in more ways than one (I have three chronic diseases). For me, this operation is about taking control of my life and my body back. Again, I appreciate your concern, as well as your lovely comments about my shape -- also, I am not at all aiming for an A, more like a small C :)
I'm a 32G and I was approved for 600 grams removed from each side which my surgeon said would bring me down to a B or C. Another surgeon I went to acted a lot more like your surgeon. I would definitely go to another surgeon for a different opinion!
My G to D cup reduction involved 500 g per side but i was 38' at 34 your volume would be more like the 38 d i am now i guess.
I'm in the same boat re the 500g requirement. The stupid requirement is unjust to smaller women because it doesn't take into account the fact that our boobs might be too big for our frames without actually being a lot of grams weight-wise. I decided to pay out of pocket because I can't deal with having such a large chest anymore (it has seriously started to impede my life choices!) but I'm seriously pissed off at my insurance (BCBS).
hi there, i went from a G cup to a D cup and had a great surgery experience, it was my second reduction, i had my first at 19. you may find my review with lots of photos helpful. wishing you mammoplectstacy!!!
Oh the comments are horrible!  I remember well and I also hated it.
Make sure to go for at least 3 consults before making any final decisions.  You will now when you have found the perfect doctor for you.  Stay focused and you will get there.  Happy days are ahead so keep moving forward with that fighting spirit.
Thank you so much for the advice! I actually had a consultation when I was 18 or so, but I was rejected by my insurance on the grounds that I was too heavy and too young. But now feels more like the right time.
Good deal, no time like the present:)