Botox for Migraines Didn't Help Me...it Hurt Me - Mount Kisco, NY

Second time I received the botox TX for migraines

This was the second time I received the botox TX for migraines. The first time was in 2009 when it wasn't approved yet. It was a better experience and seemed to help somewhat. I got a few less migraines and the majority of the botox was in my face and traps along my back.

I decided to try it again now that it was approved by the FDA. Big mistake. I received 200 units and apparently there is a new protocol as to the injection sites. The majority of the shots were in my back and neck. The neck shots were given at the base of my skull and they really hurt. It has been a little over a month and I'd say I've had more headaches than ever before in my life. My neck was very sore and the mucles were weakened. My neck made actual cracking noises and has been so very painful. In a phrase. It backfired. I am worse off now and promised my self I'd never do it again. I am starting to feel a bit better now...thank God but it has been an AWFUL month.

I would advise anyone to think twice before trying it. I'm sorry I did.

Dr. Szabo

My Doctor wasn't the problem. He explained everything to me.

@debbieB - we recently added a new discussion area on RealSelf dedicated to talking about Botox for migraines. Your story is now under this section along with others who shared their experiences. If you have any updates on what you're doing to fight migraines, I'm sure others would love to hear from you. Thank you.

I have had migraines for most of my life. I get the botex in my forehead, not my neck or spine. I have to pay for it myself, but that is ok because I don't have to follow what an insurance company or the FDA says where to put it. I get the extra benefit of looking less tired.
It completely works for my migraines. I no longer take prescription meds for the migraines.
I wish you the best
If it's for migraines why do you have to self pay? Can you just ask them to only put it in your forehead but still bill insurance since you do have headaches? I ask because I'm going this Friday for the same thing but it scares me to get the Botox anywhere other than my forehead and that's where it hurts anyway.
It was the same doctor Megan. I only wish it would have worked. After 40+ years of migraines, you tend to get a bit desperate!

Oh no :( I can only imagine how disheartening it must have been to see an increase in your headaches from a treatment meant to decrease them. Did you go to the exact same injector, or was this a different person?