Bilateral Mastectomy - Morristown, NJ

Dr Rafizadeh came highly recommended after I...

Dr Rafizadeh came highly recommended after I received my breast cancer diagnosis. You know you are in good hands when other doctors send their wives there for reconstruction. Dr Rafizadeh was so patient, kind and understanding thru the entire process. I always felt that he had my best interests in mind, which is so important when you are overwhelmed with your diagnosis. The nurses in pre-op raved about his work and manner, now I know why. I had a huge chest before cancer and now I have the breasts I always wanted. He really made me look so much better. He even corrected my chemo port scar and it is hardly noticible. Dr Rafizadeh was the silver lining in my breast cancer experience. The entire process took a bit over a year due to radiation, but wow the results are awesome. Now that I am 100% reconstructed, I will miss him and his staff.

It's nice to hear your PS was a silver lining in your cancer experience! Like you said, it's hard enough to cope with the diagnosis, let alone dealing with reconstruction. Did you have your radiation prior to your reconstruction? Was the expander process fairly painful? Thank you for taking the time to share your story on RealSelf. I know that many other women facing the challenge of reconstruction will be inspired by your courage.

Hi Beth. I had radiation prior to reconstructive surgery. I had to wait 6 mos minimum for any tissue damage to heal or stabilize. The expanders were uncomfortable. It feels like hockey pucks under your skin and it was hard to sleep on your stomach or side. The whole process took about a year to complete.

I can't imagine the feeling of a hockey puck under your skin for several months. And then trying to deal with sleep. Did you have a certain type of flap surgery for your reconstruction? Or did you have enough skin to work with?

Another RealSelf member Cindy588 is just putting the finishing touches on her newly reconstructed breast with a tattoo. And Trinalll just got her expanders replaced with implants. Feel free to comment on their reviews if you have time!

Morristown Plastic Surgeon