Permanent Damage, Wrinkles and Staining - Montreal, QC

I had Restylane put in my tear troughs. I had...

I had Restylane put in my tear troughs. I had always had deep tear troughs and thought this would be a simple way to have a beauty pick-me up. As soon as the doctor put it in, i was amazed at the immediate improvement and decrease in the baggy look around my eyes. So I asked him to add a little more, near the side of my nose. He put it at the top of the bone under my eye socket instead, directly under my pupil. I thought "well, that's not exactly what I had in mind, but it's just temporary'. I went home with the little ice pack they had provided and was told swelling should go down soon.

Instead, the swelling got a lot worse and lasted more than three days. It looked like I had an allergic reaction or bee stings under my eyes, which then looked a lot baggier. When the swelling went down, the skin had been stretched so much, it left permanent wrinkles. When I much later was in some pictures, I noticed that the Restylaned area was like a raised track which caught the light, so that it looked like I had something under my skin- but only in pictures and only with a flash. Also, the treated area appeard yellowish. I thought these effects would disappear over time, but they didn't. The yellow is still there 4 years later, as are the raised tracks, which are probably now from some kind of scarring caused by the product. It is not noticeable when I wear my glasses and mostly is just visible on film with side lighting. It's not the end of the world, but I don't like it. On the positive side, the product damaged a small vein so that it no longer is visible. This is just as well, in my opinion, because that vein added to the baggy look. Amazingly, there is still something in there, probably scarring as I said, which can be pushed around. If I press on the area, it leaves a visible dent.

I thought this may have all been the unfortunate result of putting the product in a tricky area and decided to go back and add some to my cheeks and lips. I thought surely, this would be harmless. The nurse gave the injections, not the doctor.

The product in my cheeks looked very nice while it lasted (about 6 months) but left slight permanent discoloration (slight darkening where it was injected). The product in my upper lip caused a lot of swelling. It seems to have been involved in damaging a nerve. Following the treatment, my top lip completely and permanently changed shape and the inner part of the lip dropped down so as to become visible when I smile. I later learned that this is a rare 'facial deformity' called 'double lip' caused by a blow to the lip or an infection. Either way, it is the result of nerve damage so I speculate that the swelling damaged a nerve. It is a rare condition, but can be corrected surgically, although I don't think that I would be up for more interventions after this experience. My upper lip looks a little dropped and like it has lost its tone. I find it has completely changed the look of my lips and the overall effect of my face in general. My top lip was thin but nicely shaped before. It now looks a little bigger in the middle due to this, but slack and older. There's not much I can do about it, it's permanent. I asked my doctor about it and he had never heard of 'double lip' and denied that Restylane could have caused it, since it is not listed as a possible side effect. I think it is too much of a coincidence that this happened the day I got the injection, to attribute it to anything else.
Despite this, my lips looked pretty good and plump for about 6 months while the product was in. Cheeks looked very nice, but the staining scared me off doing it again. Eyes actually would probably have looked pretty good in if he had only put it in the tear troughs, right near the nose. Where he put it lower, the skin was too thin and showed discoloration and raised tracks form scarring.

Bottom line is, there are apparently more risks from this than one would think. I know many women who have had it had no problem, but think long and hard before you do it because you might just be someone who ends up having rotten luck.

October 2012, 6 1/2 years since I had Restylane...

October 2012, 6 1/2 years since I had Restylane under my eyes and the stuff is still there, like raised tracks under my skin. 4 years since I had Restylane put in my lips and the upper lip is still deformed from it. Nothing has changed. Plus, I now have a mustache.
Montreal Plastic Surgeon

Dr S is exceptionally nice, with great bedside manner. He was also honest enough to tell me not to get more Restylane when I went back.

Thank you so much for honestly sharing your result.
I spoke to a pharmacist at Midicis Aesthetics about Restylane and Restylane-L.The only diff is the L contains Lidocaine. The ingredients are: Hyaluronic acid is generated by Strep bacteria (Restylane contains gram positive bacterial proteins) NOTE: "Hyaluronan (also called hyaluronic acid or hyaluronate or HA) is an anionic, nonsulfated glycosaminoglycan distributed widely throughout connective, epithelial, and neural tissues. It is unique among glycosaminoglycans in that it is nonsulfated, forms in the plasma membrane instead of the Golgi, and can be very large, with its molecular weight often reaching the millions.[2] One of the chief components of the extracellular matrix, hyaluronan contributes significantly to cell proliferation and migration, and may also be involved in the progression of some malignant tumors. The average 70 kg (154 lbs) person has roughly 15 grams of hyaluronan in the body, one-third of which is turned over (degraded and synthesized) every day.[3] Hyaluronic acid is also a component of the group A streptococcal extracellular capsule,[4] and is believed to play a role in virulence.[5][6]" Wiki *The Restylane L contains saline and lidocaine. Both products have the same adverse reactions, or as Medicis calls the reaction, allergic or hypersensitivity reactions, which are nausea and vomiting and headaches, and anaphylaxis (the only reactions that they state as know and expected). So basically what we are likely reacting to is either the Lidocaine or the Strep bacteria proteins, bcuz Hyaluronic acid is found in the body. The definition of a hypersensitivy reaction, which it is specified as the nausea, headaches, vomiting, according to Medicis/Restylane is: Reaction produced by the immune system, which includes allergies AND autoimmunity. It requires a pre-sensitized (immune) state of the host - So I am guessing this means since I had nausea right away with the injection, I was exposed in the past to one of the ingredients and was allergic to it before the injection, (Bacteria or lidocaine), OR that is what they want us to think...What if it causes an autoimmune disease, like gluten causes celiac disease? Consider getting allergy & antibody testing done for the gram positive strep bacteria and maybe lidocaine. FURTHER RESEARCH: The Hyauluronic Acid is chemically modified with unknown added ingredient-CHEMICAL SENSITIVIES? "Native hyaluronan has a relatively short half-life (shown in rabbits) so various manufacturing techniques have been deployed to extend the length of the chain and stabilise the molecule for its use in medical applications. The introduction of protein based cross-links, the introduction of free-radical scavenging molecules such as sorbitol [found in fruits], and minimal stabilisation of the HA chains through chemical agents [!!!] e.g. NASHA stabilisation are all techniques that have been used. Research Due to its high biocompatibility and its common presence in the extracellular matrix of tissues, hyaluronan is gaining popularity as a biomaterial scaffold in tissue engineering research. In particular, a number of research groups have found hyaluronan's properties for tissue engineering and regenerative medicine are significantly improved with crosslinking, producing a hydrogel. This added feature allows a researcher to form a desired shape, as well as to deliver therapeutic molecules, into a host. Hyaluronan can be crosslinked by attaching thiols (trade names: Extracel, HyStem), methacrylates, [PLASTICS] and tyramines (trade name: Corgel) [Tyramine intake has also been associated with MIGRAINE] Hyaluronan can also be crosslinked directly with formaldehyde [POISON] (trade name: Hylan-A) or with divinylsulfone (trade name: Hylan-B) [SYNTHETIC RUBBER]" Wiki

I had a very similar result from Tear trough injections 3 years ago. Last month I hear that at-home ultrasound massage could help. I purchased a 5Hz hand held unit from amazon (there are 1, 3 & 5Mhz, 5is intended for the thinner facial skin) and after using it every day for a week saw dramatic results in the raised track and puffiness. No guarantee this will work for anyone else but was a godsend after years of this bothersome result.

Are your cheeks still stained from restalyne?
I wonering if the makers of this product hide something about all this metabolized? If people have reaction or scar years after there must be something there???The makers of restylane must sometimes be afraid of all this suing IF some in the medical field founds out there are a permanent component in there. Then it is a big marketing bluff.
I really think Q-med in Sweden who does restylane is under reported regarding reaction to this filler. I have seen severel posts about reaction to this filler and I dont think we are that rare. I think the reaction rate is actully 1 or 2 % to this filler not 0,02% like the doctors and Q-med claims.

Hi thinkagain,

Thank you for such a detailed review this should really help the community, and welcome to the community. I'm sorry you had to deal with so much over the past few years from the Restylane, but glad you had a good doctor. Please keep us updated.

Thanks,