My Invisalign Experience at 42 - Montreal, QC

I have decided to get straight teeth before it is...

I have decided to get straight teeth before it is too late. My teeth were never straight but not really bad for my parents to spent money on it. However I always dream of nice teeth and with time the teeth got a little worse. also now it is more common to get straight teeth at an adult age. My husband think it is not worth it, it does look so bad. I hesitated before doing it because of the reviews: painful, uncomfortable and no results guarantee. I am hoping for the best but know it may not be perfect.
The first day , my dentist had to put 12 attachments on top and 6 at the bottom. He also shaved to teeth on top ( for IPR). That was painful since my teeth are very tight , it hurt my gum and bled. After that the dentist put the aligners and the rest of the day was ok. No pain , a very small lisp but for 1or2hours.
The night went ok and the day after too. Nobody mentioned anything at work.
After 2days my teeth were sore and removing the aligners painful as well as putting them back, but easy to bare. Eating is a bit painful where the dentist shaved my teeth. Soft food will be on the menu for few days and snacking avoided.
Having to brush my teeth at my workplace ( bathroom) is not pleasant, to me this is something private , but no choice I have to do it.
The worth part is the attachment, it is not invisible, and shows. I avoid to smile , but I got Invisalign to be able to smile with no shame. I hope they will show less and get a bit yellow like my teeth.

Photos before treatment

First week

I have done 1 week, the first tray. Not so bad, after the first few days, I got used to have this in my mouth. Not really painful it is rather sometime annoying to feel something on your teeth, particularly when I wake up in the morning.
I am getting used to the brushing every time after eating. It is not so easy when you go out. Last night I went out and after dinner I just did not put back the aligners, because I did not have my tooth brush. It was not more difficult to put back the aligners for the night, so I think it is Ok. Anyway I do not want to stress about it, since the all purpose of the treatment it to feel better with nice teeth and not to stress or not live for one year.
The aligners are now easy to put in and out. I guess because the plastic gets softer.
I remove them when I have a meeting, I feel more confortable to speak. With the aligners I have a very slight slip or disconfort. Although nobody mentioned it. I did not get any question about it at all. May be people noticed a change but are not sure so they did not ask. Overall it is discreet, even with the attachments.
I noticed yesterday they stated to get yellowish. I brush tem every day with tooth paste but may be it is not enought. I will try bleach as some people on real self mentioned it.
For the intimate life , it did not change anything. My husband, of course, knows about it and said it does not bother him. I guess it is different when you are single and looking for a partner.
I will update my review when I get the second tray. I am now exited and want to see the changes, but I know it will take time.

Two weeks done

Today the two first week are finish and I will go to see my dentist tomorrow to get the second tray. The last few days were not pleasant. I developed an irritation on the tongue. I do not know if this is due to the aligners or if the aligners are making the irritation worse, but it feels less sensitive when I don not wear the aligners. Eating salty food is painful or crunchy food is really painful. Cold drinks help me well. Anyway ,I will talk to my dentist and sees what he thinks. Hope it gone go away and I can continue the treatment.

2 weeks done-tongue irritation

so I went to the dentist and talk about the irritation on my tongue. He seemed surprised and thinks it is due to spicy or acidic food (I never eat spicy food) in addition to the rubbing effect of the aligners. He gave me an antiseptic dental rinse "Peroxyl" . He also gave me tray 2 and tray 3. I am wearing tray 2, and my tongue feels better today. The tray is tighter and closer to the gum so my tongue does not hit the tray as much as the last tray, which became looser at the end of the 2 weeks. Hopefully my tongue will be back to normal in few days. Tray 2 feels tight when I put it in but after few minutes I forget about it. No pain on that side :-), the tongue irritation is enough for now.

Tray 2

Tray 3

The same as for tray 2 , it feels tight the first hour ang then feel OK. I slso feel like my teeth are more spaced when I eat or floth sfter brushing. Excepted these not much change. My tongue is still sensitive and get strange white sores that go and come back. Because of that it is difficult to eat acidic food (salade dressing) or drink wine . I really hope this will get better with time because it is very annoying.

Tray 4

I switch on tray 4 today. The irritation is gone, and it went very well with tray 3. I saw the dentist who said things are going well and since I do not feel much pressure he wants me to switch tray every week instead of every two weeks. This is a good news , so the whole process will be faster. Yeah!
I do not see yet any progress but I guess it is normal at that stage.

Tray 5

Not much to report. I switched on tray 5 after 10 days with tray 4 as proposed by my doctor. It goes well , no pain or soreness. I realize that the problem with my tongue sensitivity was due to the rough edge of the trays. Even if it is not painful went I put a new tray, it probably slowly rub the tongue which becomes sensitive. I now trim them with a nail polisher and for the last two trays I was fine.

Tray 6

I saw my doctor today. He check the teeth and it seems to be ok. I asked why i am doing 10 days per aligners and said he met with others doctors practicing invasilign who said there is no difference beetween 10 and 15 days went the aligners fit properly. This is for people that wear correctly the aligners for at least 20 hr/day, if the teeth are correctly spaced and if the new aligners fit easily. Said also it more appropriate for the first serie of aligners towards the second phase aligners are kept longer. This does not answer the concern about the roots.
I got 3 trays today, #6,7 and 8. I will wear tray 8 for two weeks because of the next appointment date.
When i look at the tray #2 with the new #6 i can see a difference in the top teeth but not when I look at my pictures. I looked at the cleancheck at the dentist office and the change look visible around tray 12/14. So i need to be patient ....
Tray 6 is like the other ones , feels tight for few minutes and then i forget about it. So far, so good.
I also getting use to the routine of removing the trays and brushing. Some days are more difficult than others, especially to go out and eat elsewhere than home.

At Tray 6

Tray 8

Nothing special to report. Everything is going well. The new trays are painful, just tight for the few first hours. I also getting use to it, and no more shy to smile with the retainers. I sarting to forget about it. I also getting use to remove them for rating and at the restaurant or friend 's place i go to the bathroom to put them in and out without being bother by this new routine.
I also think they are really discret. Someone ask me when I am starting the treatment and did not notice that I have already started.:-)
I am starting to see results, top and bottom teeth, so i can say now i am happy with the decision of chosing invasilign.

On tray 7

Tray 9

Not much to report. Things goes smoothly. No particular pain when I change retainers. I just noticed my bite is different, less strength to chew particularly in front, probably due to the move of teeth top and bottom that are now less aligned, but I guess things will go back in place when the treatment will reach the end.
I feel now that things are going fast. I noticed change when I compare the first retainers and the new one. Although not very obvious on the pictures, in my mirror I feel that the top teeth look better.

Tray11

Just starting tray 11 but while i was on the previous tray, my front left teeth was sore and it feels more mobile than the other. I hope it is OK. At least I do not feel more presure on the new tray. I see my doctor next week , i will let him know. I also feel a overbite my denture is changing and i am chewing as before, pribably due to the mouvement if the teeth. I hope it will not get worse because it feel a bit unconfortable.

Tray 11

Tray 12

I switched to tray 12. Same as before . I told my dentust that i have some difficulty to chew correctly , he said this normal and will be corrected at the end if it persists. He still did a small ajustment on one tooth to help have a better bite. Not a bid change but i think he is right it better to adjust correctly at the end when all tooth are in the final place.
I see major difference now, and no major pain, so i am very happy so far.

Tray 14

Not much to report. A small tension in the top front left tooth.
The dentiste did IPR on the front bottom teeth and fortunately it does not show when I smile.
I have done 3/4 of the treatment !!!!

Tray 18

I was very busy in the last few weeks and did not report much. I finished tray 17. Everything was OK. My treatment is for 21 trays so I am reaching the end. However I feel like the bottom teeth are still very dis-aligned are more than on the cleancheck. I told it to my dentist about my concern and said it is OK, we will finished the next 4 trays and do refinement if needed. I am on tray 18 since yesterday , and this morning the teeth bottom are very sore in the back. It is the first time than I feel pain in the back of my mouth. The tray does not fit properly in the back (it pops up) where the soreness started. I am going on vacation in 5 days and do not know what to do. I wanted to put back the previous tray but it staid with my dentist. I think will until Monday and go see the dentist if it persues.

Tray 19

After 3 weeks on tray 18, due to vacation, I went to my my doctor and explain my concerns. he agreed that there is a shift between the reality (my mouth) and the cleancheck. however because there is only 3 trays left before the refinement he prefers to continue like that if the new tray fit correctly. His argument was that the trays will now push teeth back inside and the shift is one teeth that was not pull out enough, so it may correct on itself with the next trays. We agree to continue and check at every new tray.
When I switched to tray 19, it was really painful the night after, top and bottom. It lasts 2 days and now it is OK. This tray fits better than the tray 18.
I have difficulty to upload the photos. Will try later.
Dr Nagy Brady