VelaShape GAVE Me Cellulite - Montreal, QC

The absolute last thing I expected a cellulite...

The absolute last thing I expected a cellulite treatment to do was give me cellulite, but that's what happened. I bought a promo voucher for a VelaShape treatment through Living Social. I really didn't have much cellulite and this wasn't something I was too concerned about, but I thought it would be a harmless way to pamper myself, a little spa treatment. I went in for the treatment, which was up in small clinic in an office building. It was nothing fancy, but the staff was nice. I arrived a little late and the provider seemed to be in a bit of a rush, but from what the receptionist said, she did take the regular amount of time to do the treatment. The treatment felt absolutely wonderful. It was like a deep, heated massage and coming out of there, I felt like I was walking on air, practically euphoric like you would be from a great massage. I followed the instructions and drank lots of water and worked out a little that day.

The next day, I had a look in the mirror and was stunned to see that my thighs actually looked much lumpier! If I didn't have cellulite before, I sure had it now. You could see indentations where the suction had been performed. I thought maybe it was swelling and waited for some improvement over the next few days, but it didn't get much better. In the before picture taken at the clinic, you will see that my behind look fine. In the after picture, taken 3 days later, it looks like your grandma's lumpy backside.
I blocked out background in the after photo for privacy reasons, but the pictures are otherwise unretouched. Notice how in the after picture, my right thigh has changed shape, even the crease of the buttock is different. This is not because of the pose, it looks like that any time I stand straight.
I feel like a bit of an idiot because I've had bad experiences with plastic surgery and beauty treatments before, and when I came to the clinic I was on the phone with a friend saying that I didn't really have cellulite and had misgivings about going through with it. But I thought I was just being chicken and I figured the worst that could happen was that it wouldn't do anything.

After I got this lousy result, I googled 'velashape makes cellulite worse' and found that, sure enough, I wasn't the only one this had happened to. I had lipo on my outer thighs nearly 20 years ago, so I don't know if that had something to do with it. I complained to the clinic and they said it was impossible. Look at my butt and tell me I don't have more cellulite now than before!
Having cellulite is not the end of the world, but PAYING to get it is like adding insult to injury.

I think the providers of this treatment should be better informed of the possible adverse effects, and should be more honest about them when informing their clients.
My only consolation is that VelaShape results are not permanent (hopefully!) and that eventually, my behind will go back to how it used to look. It's possible that the treatment wasn't done right and that another round might correct the unevenness. I am planning to go back and see if there is anything they can do. I'm really disappointed it looks so bad because the treatment itself felt absolutely great and was so relaxing.

I can definitely understand why you would be feeling disappointed with things looking worse after the treatment. Have you considered going elsewhere for a second opinion on this?

UPDATE: 2 weeks later. The results I saw right...

UPDATE: 2 weeks later.
The results I saw right after the treatment must have been partly due to swelling, as they have improved a bit since then. I would say the left side looks not too bad. The right thigh is still lumpy looking, with more dimpling than before I got the treatment. I really believe that what happened was that she didn't treat the areas evenly. I had a harder time tolerating it on the right side, so she did some strong sucks on some parts, and some not so strong, and I think it was a bit of a rushed job. So different areas got different amounts of toning. I see a big change in the shape of my butt since I had this done so I would have to conclude that this treatment definitely works. I did not expect such a dramatic change. I still think my behind looked better before, in terms of shape and the lumpiness on the right side, but on the left side the skin does look smoother now. I still have some darkened 'track mark' areas on the right side where she did some of the pulses. I'm still considering going back to have her go over it again, mainly just on the right side, to try to even it out. I think the results have a lot to do with how the treatment is done.
I think it is hard to sell these "packages" when you ask people to pay for four, or eight treatments and tell them one month apart. Seriously, I would be very interested in the feedback VelaShape is getting from this new, very strong machine. Six years ago I had many repeat treatments subsequent to a certain level of improvement, with absolutely no change. So, my experience was no harm, but no change. That is what I expected this time, maybe some improvement, maybe not. I never considered getting beaten up. I think the attitude you are treated with is one of disdain, as if because you have been scarred it is somehow your fault, and you are now a nuisance. It is important to let the buying public know that they must be their own advocate. I was hastened to have subsequent treatments without any knowledge or experience on the practitioners part. I was a Guinea pig. This new machine is something to be reckoned with. If I had it in my practice and had an outcome like mine, I would pull the plug and ask for my money back.
' resulting roughness and thinning of the skin.'. see, that's what I'm worried about. The left side looks ok, the right has improved but you can still see marks and it's lumpier than before. maybe if I go back, it will improve, or maybe it will be much worse.Good to know older women should wait one month between treatments. The receptionist was saying I shouldn't wait more than a couple of weeks.
Fortunately, I have some experience with dermarolling. Although this is painful and a bit scary to do at home, I find it works. I did my knees a couple months ago and also my stomach and already see improvement.
Hi! Glad to hear that you are seeing improvement. Technician error, or inexperience more likely, is definitely an important factor. My first treatment was done by the owner, who was trained by the manufacturer. My second treatment was done by the girl that observed part of the first treatment. When she was working on me, she said "Does this feel like it did the last time...?". She clearly was too inexperienced to have been allowed to work on a patient. That should have been the red fllag, as that is when all of the damage was done. They should do their "training" on one another, or have you sign on that you are aware that they have no experience. When I noticed the deformities that had been created, the owner said that I should just continue the treatments, that I hadn't had enough treatments. I had two more, with zero improvements and a resulting roughness and thinning of the skin.

I have seen a real physician now, about the results of the VelaShape. He concurs that the drawback to the machine is the lack of control over volume loss. He also said, and this applies to me, that older women should wait ONE MONTH between treatments, in order to give the SKIN time to heal. It's not just about the fat under the skin. If the skin is compromised and becoming thinner and crepey, it doesn't really matter if you have smoothed what lies under it...because the skin is going to be loose and wrinkly. I would take my original problem over the one I have now...!!

I am in skin healing mode now. I have been told it could take one to two years. Let the buyer beware, kids!

Update: 1 Month after treatment. As you can see...

Update: 1 Month after treatment.
As you can see from my 1-month-after pic, things have definitely settled down and evened out.Overall I actually see some improvement in smoothness on the left side. However, in some areas, the right side is still lumpier than before treatment and I still have some dark spots where the sucker left kind of ;track marks'. I really don't understand why this happened on only one side other than, as I mentioned before, the right side was treated unevenly because it was more sensitive.
I have mixed feelings about Velashape. One one hand, it definitely does something, but it has to be applied very carefully or you get uneven results that could end up looking like you have more cellulite than before.
I am still very much undecided because the left side looks better while the right side looks lumpier and has track marks. I interpret this to mean, the treatment could go either way, even on two different parts of the same person's body. I think I will talk to the clinic and see what they think. Right now, I'm just really glad it doesn't look like it did right after the treatment!

I can see the un-eveness you are talking about in the picture. Thank you so much for continuing to update us with pictures - that is so helpful! Have you decided if you are going to do it again, or are you still undecided at this point?

October 2, 2012 Update: It's been over a month...

October 2, 2012 Update: It's been over a month since I had the treatment. My butt looks TERRIBLE. It looks lumpy and you can still see marks where the sucker was applied. I never did go back for the second treatment and it's just as well because after 1 treatment, it looks like crap. It was fine before. Learn from my mistake, ladies.

October 2, 2012 Update: It's been over a month...

After year of looking around for a well made procedure to reduce the appearance of cellulite, the only product I found was in Whole Body Cryotherapy. First off, the procedure is completely non-invasive...no cutting, no laser needles, no absorbed skin lotions, etc. It takes about 20 to 40 sessions to achieve very good results. Costs about $40 per session. My best advice is to always Google a new treatment and read the reviews and scientific evidence that is does work.
-:- Message from RealSelf staff -:-

Clinique Permalaser

The results were very bad and I should have been informed that this could happen. When I complained, they should have been more sympathetic, offered to reimbursed me, correct the problem, or make it up to me in some other way. They just denied that there was a problem.