VelaShape GAVE Me Cellulite - Montreal, QC

The absolute last thing I expected a cellulite...

The absolute last thing I expected a cellulite treatment to do was give me cellulite, but that's what happened. I bought a promo voucher for a VelaShape treatment through Living Social. I really didn't have much cellulite and this wasn't something I was too concerned about, but I thought it would be a harmless way to pamper myself, a little spa treatment. I went in for the treatment, which was up in small clinic in an office building. It was nothing fancy, but the staff was nice. I arrived a little late and the provider seemed to be in a bit of a rush, but from what the receptionist said, she did take the regular amount of time to do the treatment. The treatment felt absolutely wonderful. It was like a deep, heated massage and coming out of there, I felt like I was walking on air, practically euphoric like you would be from a great massage. I followed the instructions and drank lots of water and worked out a little that day.

The next day, I had a look in the mirror and was stunned to see that my thighs actually looked much lumpier! If I didn't have cellulite before, I sure had it now. You could see indentations where the suction had been performed. I thought maybe it was swelling and waited for some improvement over the next few days, but it didn't get much better. In the before picture taken at the clinic, you will see that my behind look fine. In the after picture, taken 3 days later, it looks like your grandma's lumpy backside.
I blocked out background in the after photo for privacy reasons, but the pictures are otherwise unretouched. Notice how in the after picture, my right thigh has changed shape, even the crease of the buttock is different. This is not because of the pose, it looks like that any time I stand straight.
I feel like a bit of an idiot because I've had bad experiences with plastic surgery and beauty treatments before, and when I came to the clinic I was on the phone with a friend saying that I didn't really have cellulite and had misgivings about going through with it. But I thought I was just being chicken and I figured the worst that could happen was that it wouldn't do anything.

After I got this lousy result, I googled 'velashape makes cellulite worse' and found that, sure enough, I wasn't the only one this had happened to. I had lipo on my outer thighs nearly 20 years ago, so I don't know if that had something to do with it. I complained to the clinic and they said it was impossible. Look at my butt and tell me I don't have more cellulite now than before!
Having cellulite is not the end of the world, but PAYING to get it is like adding insult to injury.

I think the providers of this treatment should be better informed of the possible adverse effects, and should be more honest about them when informing their clients.
My only consolation is that VelaShape results are not permanent (hopefully!) and that eventually, my behind will go back to how it used to look. It's possible that the treatment wasn't done right and that another round might correct the unevenness. I am planning to go back and see if there is anything they can do. I'm really disappointed it looks so bad because the treatment itself felt absolutely great and was so relaxing.

UPDATE: 2 weeks later. The results I saw right...

UPDATE: 2 weeks later.
The results I saw right after the treatment must have been partly due to swelling, as they have improved a bit since then. I would say the left side looks not too bad. The right thigh is still lumpy looking, with more dimpling than before I got the treatment. I really believe that what happened was that she didn't treat the areas evenly. I had a harder time tolerating it on the right side, so she did some strong sucks on some parts, and some not so strong, and I think it was a bit of a rushed job. So different areas got different amounts of toning. I see a big change in the shape of my butt since I had this done so I would have to conclude that this treatment definitely works. I did not expect such a dramatic change. I still think my behind looked better before, in terms of shape and the lumpiness on the right side, but on the left side the skin does look smoother now. I still have some darkened 'track mark' areas on the right side where she did some of the pulses. I'm still considering going back to have her go over it again, mainly just on the right side, to try to even it out. I think the results have a lot to do with how the treatment is done.

Update: 1 Month after treatment. As you can see...

Update: 1 Month after treatment.
As you can see from my 1-month-after pic, things have definitely settled down and evened out.Overall I actually see some improvement in smoothness on the left side. However, in some areas, the right side is still lumpier than before treatment and I still have some dark spots where the sucker left kind of ;track marks'. I really don't understand why this happened on only one side other than, as I mentioned before, the right side was treated unevenly because it was more sensitive.
I have mixed feelings about Velashape. One one hand, it definitely does something, but it has to be applied very carefully or you get uneven results that could end up looking like you have more cellulite than before.

October 2, 2012 Update: It's been over a month...

October 2, 2012 Update: It's been over a month since I had the treatment. My butt looks TERRIBLE. It looks lumpy and you can still see marks where the sucker was applied. I never did go back for the second treatment and it's just as well because after 1 treatment, it looks like crap. It was fine before. Learn from my mistake, ladies.

October 2, 2012 Update: It's been over a month...

Clinique Permalaser

The results were very bad and I should have been informed that this could happen. When I complained, they should have been more sympathetic, offered to reimbursed me, correct the problem, or make it up to me in some other way. They just denied that there was a problem.

After year of looking around for a well made procedure to reduce the appearance of cellulite, the only product I found was in Whole Body Cryotherapy. First off, the procedure is completely non-invasive...no cutting, no laser needles, no absorbed skin lotions, etc. It takes about 20 to 40 sessions to achieve very good results. Costs about $40 per session. My best advice is to always Google a new treatment and read the reviews and scientific evidence that is does work.

-:- Message from RealSelf staff -:-

I want to agree with the Feb. 4 comment about Vela. The suction, and the tip that is used, can create scarring if you don't have someone doing it that has done it literally hundreds of times. The quality of your skin, your age, are important factors. Once there is scarring or "travel marks" on your skin, it's a tattoo, it's part of the new you. And, if you lose too much fat, too fast, your skin will sag if you don't have very thick, very young skin. Yes, Venus is better, don't know of Endymed.
-:- Message from RealSelf staff -:-

I say never have succion on a region that needs to get thighter! Try smoother treatments such as Endymed, Venus, which are RF and no succion. Your skin will produce new collagen, and elastin will make it get toighter. overall result, body contouring effect which will make the area look better. remeber you ll have to go back for 6 to 8 Tx but it does work.
I really enjoyed the quality information offer for visitors of this blog.
I left town and without reading all of the new posts regarding Vela II. I can't say that I'm astonished, but I did think that my particular experience was due to being turned over to someone who was doing it for the first time...which was unknown to me at the time. I will also say that you should be told the amount of experience everyone has that treats you. When you go in for multiple treatments, at some point you are always "passed off" to someone else. When I noticed my damage, I pointed it out immediately, and was told that my skin was "remodeling". Okay, how long does that take? It's been a year. Like some on this sight, I am now just trying to "stabilize", in hopes of improving the thin and damaged skin at the top of my thighs. A dermatologist recommended needling. A plastic surgeon from this site responded to my request for advice by recommending VaserShape treatments, which is ultrasound, and, he said if that doesn't work "we can do fat grafting"! Wow, what an odyssey. I will say that I don't have too much cellulite, but I have the same amount I had when I started the Vela II. It's just that my skin was tight then. Loose skin is worse that cellulite. It's best to know when to just be happy with yourself. Remember that, girls.
Have you tried needling? Does it help? I just went for my first limphatic massage. I am going to get a series of those. Of course 1 massage did not help, but it improved circulation, and the smoothness of the skin. Just like you, I am hoping to heal and stabilize. Then loose as much fat on my thighs as possible (never easy in my case) and then perhaps transfer fat to worse depressions to improve the overal look. No more Vela or lipo of the legs!!!! Please let us know if you find something that works.
Is the lymphatic massage Endermology? I have had sessions of that, and it feels good, but there was no permanency to it. Vacuum mobilization is also supposed to work after many treatments, but these treatments average about $100 each. I do intend to have some needling done. There is no down time and little, if any pain. I hope they will be using some restoratives to the skin in the process.
I did try dermaneedling and it SEEMS to have worked where I did it, but I think I would need to do more for it to be really noticeable. I would be careful about trying to lose too much fat from your thighs. I had this approach when I was younger and had lipo twice and the result was that instead of collecting fat on my thighs, it would collect around my waist which is even LESS attractive on a woman. I don't exactly regret the lipo, but it definitely changed my proportions and where I gain weight. And more concerning is, when you have lipo and you gain weigh, you are more likely to gain it on the INSIDE, i.e. around your organs aka 'visceral fat' which is NOT something you want.
I had the VelaShape II in hopes of tightening up. I never intended to lose fat, but I was not properly advised. After two of the eight treatments I was made to purchase, I noticed indentations. I was told my skin was "remodeling", and to continue. I did two more treatments and became really alarmed at how much looser my thighs were. You simply must be aware that the facility is going to push the machine they have. Some of them do little or absolutely nothing, which had been my experience up until the VS II, and then without proper disclosure, I had lost an inch in each thigh. This was the complete opposite of what I was trying to accomplish. And, the very best you can get is your money back, and then you are left with a deformity that money can't repair. That's the hard fact of the matter.
Lymphatic is not endermology. It is a manual massage aimed at circulating the lymph to help eliminate accumulated fluids (and toxins) from tissues. Apparently, after surgery like lipo or other micro-damage causing procedures (V 2), the lymph migth collect in the tissues and worsen the look of cellulite. I felt better overall after the massage, but it did not help with the identations on my thighs. I will try dry-brushing next, it's supposed to help with limphatic circulation. Also heard good things about yoga.
Good to know about dermaneedling. I might try it in the areas that were OK before Vela 2, and are "ripply" now (inner mid tighs). As for the other 2 areas that I had seeked improvement in the first place (kind of banana rolls under buttocks) I might try ultrasound device, but perhaps the small home unit this time. Those units are supposedly "weaker" and I will use it precisely on the area where the lump of fat is, and not like Vela 2 technician, all over the place, where it was not needed!!! Since it was done on the backs of my legs I could not see what she was doing.
Hello I just received my first velashape treatment today. At first I was extremely nervous as I have researched and read all the negative comments. http://health.reviewship.com/truth-about-cellulite-review
Hai there, it is true that if you lipo done before, you have more change for bad results, because the skin of the thight had already be 'damaged" before. Maybe first you couldn't see the damage/uneveness of the skin because of the volume that you had on your thighs, now that the volume is less, it became more visible. What the lady under me says about the light is a bit true. About the gym and diet, only true if your change your complete life and habits, it takes a lot of effort. Really to see results from gym, you need to do it on a regular base like at least 3 times a week, and avoid sugar and eat only healthy. It will take you about 3 month before you see results. The only way if find someone that is very good at fat transfer that can fill out the gaps (you will never get it smooth) or liposuction (with the risk that it gets worse).
Velashape: Montreal, QC above..your butt looks exactly the same every time from start to finish..you are experiencing lighting changes..i work out often if not excessive and I have cellulite that goes unseen in some lighting, and otherwise, in different lighting, especially low, I see a major rippling back there! filling your legs out with muscle will help..i attend the gym regularly and even the most healthy and fit sometimes have a fair amount of cellulite, including very young people in their early twenties and late teens. Water, diet exercise..avoid caffeine and junk basically..eat lots of greens..and some massage will help..the massage creams will not help..it is the deep massage that may help, however, I haven't seen huge results..i'd say enjoy fitness and nutrition and stop looking back there.
I know the lighting is different but so is my butt, the machine decreased volume and did this unevenly, and also left track marks. I didn't expect it to be able to really decrease volume, but it did. The machine works, but you better have someone who does a really even job or it looks awful.
Yes, Anna...we pay quite a price for believing everything we hear and read about. I think of all of the well known, Beverly Hills doctors who appear on Dr. Oz and The Doctors. Why wouldn't you believe them? More people need to get involved in the review and rating system. All, and I mean ALL people are created equal...but different. It is knowing the differences, in age, ethnicity, your own immune system, the resilience that your skin does or does not have. I was told by a NY plastic surgeon, after he looked at my Vela results, that I lost too much volume entirely too fast. He said it would have taken six months to lose that much volume to one specific area, not two weeks! When I asked when my skin would catch up...and tighten, he said "at your age...it may not...". Hence, I have gone to strictly tightening, and that is not working....at all.
Have you tried cocoa butter creams? I use the one by Vaseline and it helps a lot with tightening the skin. You are right that more people should get involved in the review process. In the end you become well informed and have realistic expectations, but unfortunatley you pay the price with your own body. I have learnt that it is never 100% with cosmetic procedures. You gain some and you loose some. After reading yor last posts I looked again at the back of my legs in the mirror. The fat is definitely "redistributed". In a way it could be considered better in some areas but than worse in others. Perhaps with the 8 treatments it would be all (or mostly) evened out ? But is there a guarantee? It could go either way ... or next time I might get skin damage as in your case. All those new devices are risky. Also, the procedure was extremely painful for me, with terrible bruising, swelling, and I swear that the veins in the backs of my legs were more visible afterwards. I do not have varicose veins, but after Vela 2 I could see a very visible blue vein under my knee. I felt burnt and had a fever and was sweating the first night following the procedure. My legs were somewhat painful and prone to swelling for about a month afterwards. Often, I could feel my veins pulsating with blood. It took good 3 months for my legs to feel completely "normal" again. That is also why I am not going back, even if subsequent sessions could eventually smooth out the uneven result. I am surprised that nobody else reports similar results? I can't be the only one experiencing those effects! I am generally healthy and do not have any medical conditions.
I wish everyone read this site before laying out $3K or more for a "series" of treatments. Once you see the damage, you are further insulted by the denial of the facility, the accusations that the damage was there before, and the refusal to get your money back...and perhaps "trade for another procedure"! Who wants to have the same bad technician, who won't even accept culpability, do more damage on another body part? This group deals are bad all around for the client. I went to one doctor who I later learned was in a divorce battle. His wife came in and stole his computers, sliced his phone lines, and a few days later the facility was gone. So much for the all the package deals that he took money for. Me among them...!!
I feel sorry for everyone who paid the full amount for a package and was damaged by that procedure. Glad to hear that you got your money back. I was offered a package of 8-12 (or 4 as an absolute minimum). Somehow I convinced them that I initially pay for 2 treatments only. Looking back I see how "lucky" I was. I went ahead with 1 procedure and after seeing horrible results I would not be going back for the second one, nor for the rest of my money. I am so disappointed, that I do not want to see the place nor to talk to anyone over there ever. I consider it a lesson learnt.
@cellulite free me may be right in saying that cellulite is hormonal. But I agree with @kathi5981 and with @thinkagain: Velashape 2 is the machine everyone should be very careful with!!! The damage may be due to incorrect settings, technician's skills or the quality of the skin of the patient and most likely all of the above. Bottom line is: be very careful with vela 2. I posted here in order to help others decide whether to use it or not. It depends. I used it in hopes of smoothing out the cellulite on the backs of my thighs. Instead, I got fat removal in a random pattern, and that is not what I "bargained for". If I knew that I would get fat melted in that scattered around fashion, I would have not gone for that procedure, definitely NOT on my thighs. Perhaps I would have used it on the flanks or the belly, but not the legs. It is a known fact that liposuction is innefective for cellulite on legs. Velashape 2 acts as a "blind" and somewhat random fat removal device. You get the picture. In my opinion Valashape 2 is NOT a good procedure for cellulite on tighs, unless perhaps it is done with the low setting, without buring fat, and by a very experienced and careful/conservative technician. Valashape 2 *might* be effective for fat burning in areas with thicker skin and perhaps on people with younger and suppler skin ?. I am not going to try it again. I have new dents on the backs of my legs that were not there before Vela 2 and some new spider veins, and I am never going back for Vela teatments. I am now going to try and loose some weight in hope of buring those new fat deposits on my legs, limphatic drainage to remove limphoma, and perhaps some needling and massage, and maybe in the end some fat transfer to depressed/damaged areas. Or alternatively I will just accept that I have worse tighs now than before Vela2 and just live with it. Hope this information helps others with similar condition to mine.