Blue cover up tattoo needs partial removal -Montclair, NJ

Ok first off let me start by saying if you have a...

Ok first off let me start by saying if you have a small tattoo and don't like it, think twice about getting a cover up - this was my mistake. I had a small black tattoo on my ankle that was done very poorly when I was in college, instead of paying a lot of money for laser I figured a cover up wouldn't be so bad, wrong! I went to an artist who I trusted who has won awards for tattoo and he also did a few of my other tattoos which came out fine. However, the cover up he did for my tattoo is terrible, it looks like a HUGE blue blob. I asked for a flower and instead of doing a flower he told me that the only color that would cover black was blue (idiot) so he said he would do a flower with some waves around it. When he drew it on me I did say it was bigger than I wanted but he told me it HAD to be that big for the cover up, since I trusted him and the outline really didn't look that bad I let him go ahead with it - biggest mistake ever. First of all it doesn't look like 'waves' it looks like a blue blob on my ankle, second of all YOU CAN SEE MY OLD TAT UNDER IT. Some cover up right? I did go to another artist who said he could fix it and was very upset that my first guy did a terrible job but I don't want it fixed incase I still don't like it, I'd rather just try laser. Tomorrow I have a consultation with a plastic surgeon in my area who just recently got the Picosure laser, I have read this laser is very good for blues, however I am so skeptical about the whole experience, there are not a lot of pictures showing complete removal. Depending on the cost I may just get the part on my ankle lasered at first to see what results I get, if I cannot get full removed a cover up may have to do. I've been extremely depressed about this, I don't want to wear shorts or skirts anymore and its the summer :( I feel like an idiot and wish I had my small little tattoo back. Any words of wisdom? I will post about my consultation tomorrow, hoping it wont be that must money/time to get this thing off me...

Went for a consultation

So this morning I had my consultation at NJ Plastic Surgery with Dr. Andrea Cacciarelli. She was very nice but didn't seem too hopeful about my removal. I told her that I wanted to start with removing just the wave part on my ankle and see if I can deal with the flower design on my foot. For the wave part on my ankle (which is also the cover up part) she quoted me $250 per session with the Picosure, that is their minimum price. However she told me she doesn't have any experience removing cover up tattoos and that it will probably take a lot more sessions even with the Pico because there are various layers of ink :(

She showed me a booklet of removal pictures that were previously done with the older lasers, they just recently got the Picosure. It was kind of upsetting because I did not see any full removal pictures, the pictures were only progressions of fading. However she did tell me she does achieve full removal but it usually takes at least a year or more. She said since the Pico is so new she does not have any full removal pictures yet and does not see a drastic difference with the Pico vs. the old lasers, which is also a little disconcerting as the Picosure is marketed to be quicker and better.

She wanted to do a test spot to see how my skin would react to the ink, I was very nervous about this and opted out because I have an engagement next week that I will probably be wearing a dress for and I did not want a bandage or blisters on my ankle :(

If I go through with the lasering I will probably wait until it gets a little cooler here in NJ around Sept-October so I am not constantly wearing shorts with bandages on my ankle. I'm nervous about the pain, I've had IPL laser done for brown spots on my face before and she said it is nothing compared to IPL, the pain is apparently 10 times worse and I thought IPL hurt!!

I may try another doctor (the one I went to for IPL) however I do not think she has the Picosure but it doesn't seem to make a difference...

Any thoughts?

Also let me add..

She told me that the foot and hands are the toughest spots to laser because they tend to swell up so she would have to start with a very low level and work up to high intensity. Also they do not offer numbing cream or shots! She would give me a RX to get numbing cream if the test spot was too painful for me.

Need some words of encouragement

My new years resolution was to start on my tattoo removal, however I've been avoiding making the appointment. First of all I'm terrified of the pain and I'm scared it's not going to work. I'm also worried that because its on my ankle I will not be able to go to work for a few days due to swelling and blisters... I can't afford to miss more than a day of work, especially when I will have to pay so much for this treatment. Any advice? Is this first appointment the most difficult? So far I have only had a consultation that wasn't too positive :(

Appointment for Feburary 4th

I finally did it. I made my first appointment with the Picosure for February 4th in two weeks. Not sure if they will do the full treatment that day or just do a test spot. My plan is to get ride of all the blue, especially the part on my ankle (which is the cover up) and then get the part on my foot fixed by a different tattoo artist. I definitely don't want anything on my ankle though so hoping to achieve full removal in that section. I would love to have total removal of the entire tattoo but I'm not sure I can afford it. I guess I will see how much progress happens with the first few treatments. Does anyone know how quickly they will space treatments? I am hoping to get this done or at least not noticeable before July.

Test spot.. seeing some fading already!

Hi everyone - So I just got back from my appointment, which was such a process. First off I need to complain a little about the office for any of you in NJ thinking of going there... I went for a consultation in June when they just got the Picosure. I met with a different doctor than I had today, the doc in June told me for the wave section of my tattoo it would be $250 and she wouldn't charge me to do a test spot when I decide to come back, perfect.
Today the doctor told me that it would be $350 per session and they usually charge $100 for a test spot. I only wanted to do a test spot today to see how my skin would react and also I was pretty terrified of the pain, blisters and swelling I've been seeing on this site (If I have any major swelling or pain I probably will be out of work for a day or two which I can't afford) Anyway, after consulting with the doctor I told her I only wanted to do a test spot today. So then I wait about a half hour in the room by myself and a payment consultant lady comes in to tell me that by doing JUST a test spot today would be $450!! I told her I was very confused and wanted to speak to the doctor, she told me there is no negotiation and she kept pushing me to sign up for Care Credit, which I didn't want (she was extremely rude and I'm wondering if they get commission for signing people up for Care Credit?) I then preceded to tell her I just wanted to pay out of pocket for today's treatment and I would like to speak to the doctor about the amount. Finally after waiting 20 more mins and talking with two assistants I finally got to speak to the doctor who told me she will wave the test spot fee if I pay $350 today and come back in 6 weeks for the full treatment, I agreed. I'm very upset about the lack of communication in the office and the different price quotes.

Anyway on to the procedure. I was sweating so bad, she explained that they use cooling air and that most patients find it to be tolerable. It definitely was painful but I would compare it to getting a tattoo maybe a little worse, but quicker, nothing I couldn't handle. I was in a little pain, like a stinging sensation on my drive home but right now (about 3 hours after treatment) I'm in no pain at all! Which is making me wish I did the full treatment today and not just the test, but oh well at least I know what to expect for next time. The good thing is I already see a little fading!! Check out the pictures. As long as it doesn't swell up or blister I have high hopes for my next treatment, scheduled for March 13th. The doctor said with this type of tattoo she is expecting 5-6 treatments spaced about 6 weeks apart for each.

First Full Treatment April 10th

So I pushed back my treatment a few weeks because after the test spot I had some raised scaring, which is now gone. So I had treatment on wave part of my tattoo on April 10th. Honestly the laser painful but tolerable, they use a machine that blows cold air on you during the treatment, not sure if that really makes a difference. Right after the treatment I was fine, no pain or anything, I did blister though a few hours later but not too much pain still for the next few days. However, right now 4 days later I am in pain and a few of my blisters popped last night while I was sleeping. The doctor told me to keep it bandaged for a week and to coat it with a lot of aquaphor and to not pop the blisters... but that was out of my control, they popped on their own. I definitely see a lot of fading, especially with the blue ink, you can see my old tattoo underneath almost perfectly now in some spots. I guess I will see how the fading progresses in the coming weeks.

Does anyone have any advice on aftercare? Because this tattoo is so low on my ankle it's very hard to keep it bandaged during the day with work and wearing shoes and honestly it feels a lot better when I let it breathe and put no bandage on it. Does everyone keep theirs bandaged that long? Should I be using aquaphor? Does anyone recommend anything else? Know of anything that speeds up the healing process? Also is it normal for me to be in pain 4 days later? The area is a little swollen and red but it doesn't look infected or anything like that.

This is the day after the blisters popped, you can see my old tattoo a lot now. Today has been the most painful so far. Does this seem normal?

Have you looked into the tattoo sleeves, they might be perfect for your ankle with healing. The ankle is such a difficult area to keep still and protected with the healing process. You can find tattoo sleeves on ebay, and probably online. Many military and uniformed officers need to wear them for work. After I have a laser session, I keep the bandage on for 48 hours. The technician applys A&D ointment and advises me to keep it covered for at least a week, apply antibiotic ointment. I also use antihistamines for the itch. I think you're having a good treatment success. Happy fading. aloha...k
Thanks i'll have to check that out! I'm feeling a lot better today, pain is finally starting to go away, you're right the ankle is really a tough spot! Probably going to wait a few months for my next treatment see how the fading progresses.
I think your tattoo is ok, i guess you dont know what is a crappy tattoo, if u dont like that, so called blu blob, u can always let him use little bit white or craft it to make it lil bit more realistic. I think your tattoo is beautiful but i understand what u feel to
im sorry but this is a terribly executed tatoo, its hard to beleive that this was done in a shop! Your comment goes to show people have no idea what a good tattoo is thats how these scratchers stay in business because people like you think this is a beautiful tattoo. I dont want to be harsh but you should continue with a few sessions of laser than get a beautiful cover up from a top artist. read my review to see what a good tattoo should look like, i will give you artist recommendations depending where you live!!! good luck cant wait to see results
Thanks. I know. It was done by an award winning artist believe it or not... Christian Masot from Silk City Tattoo in Hawthorne NJ check him out. His work is great but apparently he had no idea how to cover up my tattoo and he shouldn't have agreed to something he couldn't do. I'm home laser does work and I will DEFINITELY go to another artist for my next cover up!!!
**hoping not home lol
just checked him out, some of his work is pretty good, but some is just rubbish.. and a artist is only as good as his worst tattoo!! Check out Dmitry Vision Instagram -Dmitryvision ,Kris Busching..instagram-buschingtattoo. And John Barrett ,, instagrm - Yogi_barret .. there a few in driving range of a few hours from you, Dmitry and john are my 2 artist doing my leg sleeve..john guest spots at empire ink in Clemnton NJ every 8 weeks so that would work for you. there top notch artist in the country
I think you'll be surprised at what the picosure will do to the blue shading. Quite a few people on hear have had some amazing results so far on colours such as blue and black. The docs usually recommend at least 6-8 weeks between treatments but you can wait alsong as you wish. This will help save money as your tattoo is still fading for months afterwards. Gd luck
Thanks!
Hi, I relate to the fear of pain and it is pretty bad- but, it is over soooo quickly, especially if you only do half of your tattoo at a time or even all of of your waves- since it is actually decently small (I know it feels huge:( Also, I got used to the pain- as a new normal. At first I was surprised and then I just accepted that I'd be in pain for the treatment and you find a way to get through such a short period of time. You should start with a small section of blue for a test with the picosure- it may work wonders and if it did then that may be the inspiration you need to move foward. Re. missing work. You must have regular weekends or 2 days in a row off occasionally- that's all you need- the first 2-3 days are the worst but you can bandage it, put a pair of nice cotton socks over it and be just fine. But to be safe, start with a smaller section to see how your body responds since there is a range of swelling that can occur and I've seen some suprising blisters/swelling on here:( I don't think anyone on here is missing a week of work or anything like that- just suffering through some uncomfortable days--- but then the fading begins:)!!! Good luck!
the first treatment was the easiest for me pain wise. this is because the tech was going easy on me to see how id respond. but conversely, I also swelled the most. don't sweat it, to be terrified is normal. I was, everytime I went I was. then when I was getting treated id think to myself its never as bad as I make it out to be in my head. then when its all over im super psyched about it. it hurts, but its bearable, or else nobody would be doing it. and the type of pain is different, for me atleast. it would hurt for a split second when the spot is hit, meaning it didn't linger, like getting hurt in other ways does, if that makes sense.

Hey there just checking in to see how you are making out, have you started treatment?

Did you go to a different doctor? I'm asking because I am in NJ as well, not too far from Montclair and i would love to be recommended to somewhere good. I have a tattoo that needs to be partially removed in order for me to sign up for the military and i cant seem to find reviews for anyone out here :(
Hi - go check them out, it's a free consultation if you mention this website. I will be going back there to start removal but not until the fall/winter because I don't want to walk around with a bandage on my ankle for the rest of the summer. They have the new picosure laser and if you read reviews that is the best and quickest laser around. Definitely make an appointment with them and get an estimate.
Hey, sorry so long to reply. No, I will have to check when I go again in Aug. Yes, my ankle is koving slower than I'd hoped. I started researching the body's natural healing process to burns exc. I found out some interesting facts that although I don't recall them exactly, I know it inccuded a little change in my diet and eatting more organically, which helps the body restore and heal itself. Can't say I've seen any immediate results, or know of amuch science to back it, but I sure feel better about my body! Hope this helps friend!
Sorry! Your tattoo looks nice, and IT could be worse* Not your attitude, sorry that sounded bad. I totally understand your frustration with everything relating to this!
I wanted to tell you to hang in there. Having a tattoo is part of your past, and this experience truly makes you, you. :) I hope you can embrace yourself for how you look (tattoo and all!) Cuz I know it's hard in this world to NOT focus on our looks. But on a lighter note, your tattoo does look nice, and it's better than some nasty scar (like one I have on my hip from a go-kart accident as a kid. Talk about attention during bikini season! I always get at least one curious "What happened?" Anyways, as luck would have it the only 4 tattoos I have I hated immediatley, before I even left the artist. I have one unprofessional anarchy on the back of my neck that I later had professionally covered with a hibiscus that looks more like a sunflower and has all the colors I asked him to leave out. :( Because of this tats colors and size, removing or covering isn't an option. I hope to one day have it touchd up to actually look more like w sunflower. But I've learnd to make light of this tat. My 3rd tat is my zodiac sign on my ankle. It is all black, and I am on my 7th laser treatment for removal. It is looking promising, but because of it's location, is has taken more treatments than me or the dr expected. My most recent tat is script lettering on my side wnd the words are spelt wrong. I pretty much chewed that artist out. I don't think I'll remove this one, even though it's black ink. I do love tattoos, I've just had terrible luck. I hope to cover this one with a whole side piece one day that will be very feminie and fitting. I've had an idea for over a year and I still like it so I am hoping to do this tattoo in the near future. If not though, it's all about attitude I've found out, and yours COULD be worse!! Trust me!!
Thank you! I know my tattoo could be a lot worse, i'm trying to focus on positive things for now. I'm so back and forth with getting removal, I don't want it to be a waste of time and money... you said the one on your ankle is taking long? The doctor told me the ankle is one of the hardest spots for removal because its farthest away from the heart ugh! I love tattoos also, I have 6 and this cover up is the only one I regret! I feel like its very difficult to look professional and feminine with it on my ankle :( however thank you for all the encouraging words, it really does help! Do you know what type of laser they are using on you?
following weeks of blisters, scabs, and bandages sucks. My tattoo is not fading as quickly as I, or my doctor, had hoped. That said, I am getting some fading. And I am proud of the decision to do something about this tattoo that I have obsessed about for so long. In the end, I hope I will feel it was all worth it. I have heard great things about the Pico sure, but there isn't one in my area. Good luck and keep posting!
Sorry, my first paragraph was cut off! I have completed 5 treatments to remove a 24 year-old ankle tattoo. I also have adapted my wardrobe, which is not fun! And I wish had had started this process a lot sooner. In short, I feel your pain. The treatments are painful, but bearable. The....(see previous post)
thanks! you should post some pictures of your progression!
I never took any "before" pics, but I will post some current pics this week.
Good luck with everything! I'm in your same situation I had a medium sized black tattoo on my stomach/ribs. I had a couple of tattoos that I really like done by an artist who does really good work and who I really trusted. We spent a long time planning the cover up and I was positive that it was really going to come out nice but now I have a huge green blob! I'm getting the picosure done because I do have a lot green and blue in mine. If I don't see good results with the pico then I may opt for something cheaper. But from all my reading and research it does seem like the way to go. So I really do hope it goes well for you and I just wanted to let you know that you're not alone :) It's hard to know what a tattoo is going to look like until it is already on your skin so these things happen. Although I do think your tattoo is quite nice actually I would trade it for mine any day! But I know how horrible it feels to have something that you don't like permanently on your body. It's just important to not get down on yourself about it or obsess over it, which is something I have really been struggling with. I wish you the best and I really look forward to seeing your results!
Thanks so much it really is nice to hear others stories!! I obsess over it every day :( its so hard to have something on your body that you feel is not supposed to be there you know? Have you gone for any treatment yet? I probably wont start the process until September once the summer is over. I'm just very nervous about the pain the Dr. kinda scared me and I don't understand why they don't offer any numbing!
No, I haven't gone for treatment yet but I have had a consultation at the one place that offers picosure in AZ and I will be having my first treatment on July 2nd. The place I am going does offer injections of lidocaine to numb the area but I'm actually more scared about that then the laser itself lol! I hate needles! But I am happy that I will be numb. It seems like there are a lot of people on here who say that they use the numbing cream before the treatment and I think you can buy it pretty inexpensively off amazon. I also do hear the picosure is a little less painful than the q-switched lasers because it does not have to get as hot. But I'll definitely let you know how it is when I get mine done!