Breast Reduction Post Surgery Problems - Mississauga, ON

Well, I didn't find this site until after my...

well, I didn't find this site until after my surgery. I wish I had known about it beforehand but better late than never I guess!!
I started posting under someone's else's review not knowing otherwise, so some of you already know about me.

I am 65 years old and wondered whether I was too old to do this now after putting it off for years. To be honest......I love to travel and when I worked I didn't want to use my vacation time for recovery!!! So when I retired this was my gift to myself I had my surgery on June 19th, the whole thing , from seeing my GP for a referral to getting an appointment with a PS to getting the okay from OHIP to pay for it to my surgery day took eight weeks. So I didn't have much time to fret too much about it.

My problem now is that I am not healing very well, so many different people at the hospital asked me beforehand if I was a fast healer....I said as far as I know I am, if I get a cut on my finger it's started healing by the next day!!!........what I wanted to say was "how the bloody hell do I know I have never timed myself"....lol

As of today I am at the four week mark and I have to have three holes in my wounds packed every other day and when I woke up this morning one part of my left breast was so sore, when I took my dressing off there is an open sore on my areola, the nurse at the clinic didn't know why it had suddenly appeared and today was very painful getting my wounds dressed. I saw my GP yesterday and among other things she gave me a different antibiotic and took two swabs off my left breast ( which is the worst one). I see my PS again on Friday.

I would love to hear from anyone else who has had similar problems. I do not regret having the surgery, my right boob seems to be healing now and I love the size of it.

Hi Piggles, well when the nurse took my dressings off this morning both she and hubby decided the hole in the right one is a lot better. She took a measurement of the left one and the top hole is now 2cm deep and she thinks it is tunneling towards the one on the bottom.....she said "now don't freak out" which of course is exactly what I am doing. Once again she is going to write a note to my PS lets hope he's in a better mood this Friday.
I hope all goes well with you tomorrow and look forward to hearing how you feel about your new little boobies. xo
Well NanaLyn, 50% positive update from you then! We'll take it! The good news is that you're obviously in good hands with the nurses, so hang in there. This WILL resolve with time, rest and patience. It's tough to keep that in mind though, I'm sure. :)
Hi NanaLyn! Just wanted to check in and see how you're doing and, as importantly, how you're feeling? Hope things are getting better bit by bit :)

Saturday July 28th I am feeling so much better,...

Saturday July 28th
I am feeling so much better, just because I went to see my PS yesterday and he at last agreed to let the nurses pack 3 holes with the silver product they have. I started this morning and I will go alternate days for packing. I asked him to take a look because he had never really looked at it before, he also took a swab of the one hole. I go back to see him in ten days.
He told me that it will take four weeks and then I will be back to normal (6 weeks post op on Tues). So here's looking forward to four weeks from now......
NanaLyn:

Talk to us! You can't go 3 days without letting us know how you are - lol!! Any progress with your nasty spots?

Whew! So glad you finally got some cooperation from your PS. Sounds like you did the right thing by insisting that he take a good look at you and give you the attention you deserve!
FINALLY, the entire team is on the same page! You can definitely see the light at the end of the tunnel now NanaLyn! Yay!!!!!!!!! Very, very relieved and happy for you. Soon you can actually start ENJOYING those bad boys!!

61/2 weeks and before I went to the home care...

61/2 weeks and before I went to the home care (CCAC) this morning I took my dressings off to shower and the silver tape that they pack with came right out with the dressing. The nurse at home care confirmed my suspicions..............the holes must be healing inside and pushing the tape out.......hooray, hope we're both right. Hubby who always inspects carefully with the nurse said everything is looking better. I go to see the surgeon again on Tuesday and I will let you know what he says.
On the way home I stopped and bought some Mederma (sp) for the scars. I want to start using it as soon as I have healed.
Thank you Self love and Iowa71, for your kind words.....YES, at long last I feel good, I even changed my comment from "not sure" to "worth it" on my review this morning.
I honestly dont think I would have gotten through these six weeks and remained 'SANE' without the support and laughs I got from this site. xx

Hip-Hip-Hooray! You are on the right track now, Nana!
NanaLyn, it's been too long since I checked into your story! Sounds you have had a real rollercoaster and one jerky PS. Thank goodness for those awesome nurses and your loving husband. Everything heals eventually and you are hanging in there like a champ. Sending you big cyber hugs and lots of encouragement!

Went to see my PS today and I am healing at long...

Went to see my PS today and I am healing at long last, they took some measurements and the holes are NOT as deep as they were. He thinks that in two weeks when I see him again, I will be all healed......Yaaaayyyy
To celebrate I bought myself some sexy low cut pj's, which hubby loves. Still cannot try on bras but it wont be long now. :):):)

WooHoo, Nana! I'm thrilled that you are seeing such drastic improvement! I can't wait until you are able to really appreciate the gift of reduction!
Yay NanaLyn! Now you have to be very careful these next 2 weeks! We're not allowing ANY setbacks!!

Hi,....Well, I am still not healed yet. For some...

Hi,....Well, I am still not healed yet. For some reason after my last visit to my PS and he told me that everything would be healed in two weeks, my healing stopped and the holes started getting deeper again. They are the deepest they have been right now...3cm and 31/2cm. I am determined to not let it get to me, I have no pain at all but I have a couple of hard lumps on my leftie, the one the holes are on. I do have an open sore underneath my right breast but it is just surface and the nurse dresses it.
I am sitting out on my deck (in the shade) topless hoping the air will help and I go back to see my PS on Monday.

Hi...Nanalyn,I'm from Mississauga and I'm having a breast reduction and lift oct 25th.
I'm so nervous and scared. After reading about the problems you had I am freaking out we may have the same PS.Mine is kind of cold and doesn't have a great bedside manner. He does do it out of the hospital which makes me feel better. Hope you are feeling better.

Hi, just thought I would let everyone know how I am doing. went to see my PS last Monday and he discharged me from home care he said he wants no more packing and for me to just put ointment on everyday for ten days and then nothing for ten days and then go and see him. He said it will be all healed by then.....
The nurse at the hospital said she wasn't sure he was doing the right thing and if I had any problems to contact him and the nurses at home care were saying the same..... But guess what?
They are healing, the holes are almost closed and everything feels good. I am looking at this in a positive way and I am determined I will be healed when I see him again in just over two weeks. Hubby took me shopping and bought me the most beautiful watch as a celebration!

YAY! Progress!