Treatment for Reticular, I.e. Blue/green, Veins on Forehead and Temples. Minneapolis, MN

I had a network of unsightly blue veins on both...

I had a network of unsightly blue veins on both sides of my forehead and temples. I consulted a few other doctors regarding treatment, but was either turned down or told to laser them. I did a bit more research and came across Dr. Tholen who does sclero on them. I've had three sessions with him and the area now looks really good. The last time I was in, I had a vein that started on my temple that branched down under my eye and even that one was safe to do. I had been told by doctors never to inject under the eye, because of possible blindness. Dr. Tholen addressed my concerns and explained the anatomy of the area and why that wouldn't occur. I researched the matter a bit further online and came across a paper on sclerotherapy which found that sclerotherapy carries the same risks regardless of where it's done on the body. In other words, doing injections facially is no more dangerous that doing one's legs, which is the most commonly done area. I read about people having injections on their hands, feet, torso, etc. So long as the provider is qualified and experienced things should go well. I think that is the crucial factor, get someone who knows what they are doing.

As far as side effects, I got some mild swelling and bruising at the injection sites. I went out the following day with a little makeup over the areas. A few ice packs removed the swelling quickly.

Thanks for sharing on RealSelf.  Are you finished with the series of treatments or do you still have some more sessions scheduled?
My last treatment was about ten days ago. So, I won't be able to say with absolute certainty for a few more weeks. I've found that with sclerotherapy it usually takes a few weeks to know what veins, if any, are truly left. Overall though, it looks really good and a casual observer wouldn't see any veins anymore. I don't have any more appointments scheduled at this time.
Let us know how your results are once you've had time to heal/in a few weeks.  I'm glad your veins are already less visible!
Minneapolis Plastic Surgeon

I'm so glad I found Dr. Tholen. He's a very friendly, knowledgeable and approachable doctor. He answered all my questions about the procedure. I've also interacted with most of his staff and have always had good experiences with them as well. They always returned my calls in a timely manner and I've never waited long in the office. He even did free touch-ups on my veins, because veins are kind of elusive when you treat them and I had quite a few.