SO Worth It - Milwaukee, WI

I was always fit in my youth, but after 2...

I was always fit in my youth, but after 2 c-sections, a back surgery and numerous other life issues I gained a lot of weight. I tried so many diets, but was never able to lose much or keep it off, even though I was always fairly active. I have been a roller figure skater for most of my adult life. The breaking point for me was watching my mom die from complications of an auto accident, caused by diabetes, asthma, and obesity. She was only 58, and likely would have survived without these health issues. I needed to be alive for my kids and Grandkids!

My starting weight was 275, my final weight is 165. I have maintained that now for 6 1/2 years! I give myself a five pound "wiggle room" and if I go above that I really watch my diet for a few days to stay at or below that number. When I had the surgery (Roux n Y) they predicted 70 pound loss, so I was a bit of an overachiever. I finally saved enough money to have the extra skin removed, and had my tummy tuck on September 23. They took 7 pounds of extra skin from my stomach and 2 more with lipo. Once my swelling is gone, I will need to determine my new "set point" in order to maintain. I will also be in the "normal" BMI for the first time in probably 30 years!! I have a separate review for the TT.

You need to remember, if considering this surgery, that it is a TOOL to assist in getting your eating under control. You still need to eat the right things and be active. You also need to deal with the psychological issues that caused you to overeat in the first place. I used to stuff down my feelings with food instead of dealing with them. Don't swap one addiction with another either!

I would do this again in a heartbeat!

Another milestone!

I just wanted to share that today I hit the 120 pounds total lost! Another 10 to hit normal BMI. Still not sure if I will hit that one or not, as I don't know where that last 10 will come from. I ordered a bikini for the first time in many years, maybe I will post some pix when it gets here.
Wallace

Good job on the weight loss!

Hi there, welcome and thanks so much for sharing your journey with us!

You've done an awesome job of losing the weight and keeping it off, congratulations. You look wonderful!

Did you find changing your eating habits hard to do at first, or did it come pretty easily to you?

It wasn't overly difficult for me. The hard parts were: not drinking with meals and eating the protein first. Also, my surgeon did not advocate protein shakes, as he wanted me to eat food that I would be eating long term. Another hurdle was learning that it is okay to leave food on my plate, especially in a restaurant. If I can't take home the leftovers, it is still okay to leave it. I enjoy what I do eat and shouldn't feel obligated to finish what is served. It isn't healthy for me to do so. The cost to my health is more than the cost of the food.

That's some great advice, thank you! I start my soft foods stage tomorrow, which will be 3 weeks post-op (sleeve), so it's a whole new world now!

Awesome..
great job you look wonderful