Mommy Makeover by Dr. Hochstein 3/13/14 - Miami, FL

I am 36 years old with two children age 6 yrs and...

I am 36 years old with two children age 6 yrs and 9 months old both delivered via c-section. I've been wanting this make over since having my first child 6 years ago. I had a hernia, stretch marks, and an ugly c-section scar that was crooked and caused a "table look fold" on my stomach. I had my breast aug. done initially 13 years ago and new I'd also replace those with silicone and go bigger.
My goal was to find a doctor that could get rid of my stretch marks, create the lowest possible incision and also be an expert at breast augmentation. I live in California and love my surgeon here that did my breast aug in 2001 but I did not feel 100% confident in his Tummy Tuck. My gut was telling me to keep looking and that's exactly what I did. I spoke to friends, doctors, nurses and scanned the internet looking at Plastic Surgeons close to home, in Beverly Hills, New York, Oregon you name it. When I searched Dr. Hochsteins' website I told my husband, "I wish this surgeon lived in California, I'd go to him in a heartbeat." I decided to call his office and set up a phone consultation just to see what the price would be etc... Literally w/in a week I booked my appointment and had my surgery set for a month later on 3/13/14. I was amazed at how much cheaper it was to do this w/ Dr. Hochstein then having the same procedures done in California.
For those women looking to travel to Florida who live in a different state we flew into Miami International airport, stayed at the Element literally across the street and it is a Westin owned resort that is set up w/ full kitchen, living rooms, work stations and has washer and dryers. We are Starwood Owners so we used our Starwood points to stay at the Element. We stayed there for 10 days total (flew home 8 days post surgery) and it was fantastic for the trip we had planned. My husband and I worked (yes I worked the day after my surgery via phone and email) and literally beside my lack of energy and spunk, it was a normal day at the office (we both can work from home). We flew direct and airfare for both of us combined round trip was $624 which is cheap considering when we fly to our other vacation destinations. My advise on the flights is traveling back home book the aisle that is directly behind first class...this aisle has the most leg room available in economy and you will want it on your flight back home. Also do curb side check in when traveling back home...the airline will have someone escort you and your spouse/traveling companion directly from the curb check-in to the plan...you will get seated first and not have to wait in line at all. (this will hep with your swelling)
Dr. Hochstein's office was a 15 minute drive away which was nice when driving to and from my surgery and post op visits. I also arranged for a recliner to be delivered the day prior to my surgery which is a MUST and had it picked up the day we left. Dr. Hochstein's office will give you the information on two companies that will provide this service.
When at his office for the first time the day prior to surgery I met Christie the office Manager and Jennifer his nurse which were both awesome. I still email and talk to Christie if I have any questions/concerns. They are very sweet and informative. Dr. Hochstein is not the outgoing talker...but he knows what he is doing, is 100% confident and I was trusting that his background and reputation was solid enough for me to know I was in good hands. I don't need a surgeon who laughs, and jokes with me and makes me feel like we could be buddies...I need and want a surgeon who knows what he's doing and will give me the results I want and deserve. So far...that is exactly what I have gotten and could not be happier. In fact, I wished I had started my RealSelf journey from day one but I was nervous about "what if"..."what if" I regret everything so I obstained. However, now 5 weeks post op I am ready and confident to share my experience and results.
I am extremly happy w/ Dr. Hochstein's work and my experience. The Tummy Tuck scar is as low as possible, the scar is healing smoothly and my breast look awesome. My husband could not be happier:)
I know a lot of people and doctors will tell you horror stories about traveling far from home for surgery and I know there is validity to what some of them say, but my experience thus far has been wonderful and if there is someone else out there thinking of seeing Dr. Hochstein but worried about the preparation and being far from home I am here to help tell you what my husband and I did planning wise to make it as smooth and as easy as possible and I'd do it all over again w/out hesitation.

6 Weeks Post Op

I am 6 weeks post op today and each day gets better and better. I will start back at gradually working out... incline walk and stair climber and some weights...but no chest exercise per doctor.
I still wear my garment as I find it helps with swelling. By the end of the day depending on what I have done I tend to swell a little. I try to avoid salty food and alcohol. I drink at least 64 oz of water and still have my coffee to help with energy. I am now able to wear all of my jeans w/out any problem and all are now loose around my stomach...time to shop:) For those wondering Dr. H ended up replacing my 400cc saline w/ 533 cc silicone. I thought they would seem way too big for my frame when I heard what size I ended up with...but now at 6 weeks w/ most of the swelling if not all gone I feel they are a great size. I am only 5'2 123 lbs (hoping to get to 115 lbs once I can work out again and they do not overwhelm my frame which I am quite happy about.
The only negative experience so far is my right side where the drain was is taking a while to heal. I think with me being mobile I keep tearing the scab in a small area so today I did notice some puss and then bleeding...but Dr. Hochstein will review my pictures tomorrow and call me if there are any concerns...remember I am in California so my post ops I send his office manager photos and then he calls me on the phone to discuss. I little different but so far it's been working out just fine. I am lucky I chose a Doctor that knows what he's doing:)
Miami Plastic Surgeon

He is very calm and confident. Not very outgoing or social but knows what he is doing which is what is important in my opinion. He does not spend a lot of time w/ me but he answers every question I have...again he is not one to have small talk, but bring your answers on paper and he will answer them for you. His staff very nice and the only appointment I wanted longer for was my second post op but that is because they squeezed me in on a surgery day because I was flying back home that day.

Hi - your results are amazing!! I'm traveling to dr h too and am nervous about flight/hotel etc. did you guys rent a car? Or just use taxi?
My hubby came and droves around, we rented. We stayed in a condo
We rented a car, my hubby drove me around
You look fabulous
Beautiful results!
You are looking absolutely AMAZING and it's only going to get better and better ;)
You look so great!!!
congrats you look amazing.
You're on the other side now! Woot! Thank you immensely for sharing your experience so others can benefit. The pain pump and recliner sound soooo helpful!
You had such a positive experience! Sounds like the new you is amazing!
Thank you:0) Every day it gets better and better...a slow healing process but I am very happy.
Your jouney sounds so positive. I am getting a mommy makeover with bl and aug. I get so scared about the recovery. Any tips? Love to see your scar too. Thank you for sharing:)
I will be posting some pics this week. One of the reasons I chose Dr. Hochstein was because he uses a pain pump. I have had two c-sections and my tummy tuck was very similar to the c-sections but better and I feel it's better because of the pain pump, the electric recliner and a heating pad. The pain pump eliminates the need for you to have more pain meds which slows the healing process (or so I've read) and once they remove the pain pump you can't feel anything and your stomach is still very numb. The electric recliner is a must and helps you get up and down. You can rent them for up to 30 days if needed. I felt that I could have used the recliner for the first 3 weeks and it would have been a benefit making it easier for me while sleeping at night. You will find for the first 10 days your back is very sore...so the heating pad helps with that. Once you start to walk more upright and sleep laying flight that back soreness begins to subside. (I honestly felt the back pain was the worst part...the front of you is numb but the back is not.) So I recommend having a pain pump, having an electric recliner, a heating pad and find a garment that is more like a corset garment w/ two or 3 settings. This will help you while the swelling subsides. You will be able to make the garment tighter with the change of your body(buy 2 once you find the right garment). I also am using the BioCorneum scar cream. I asked my PS if I should also use silicone strips and he said the BioCorneum will do exactly what the silicone strips do. So far my scar looks really good so that is all I am using right now...and I do tend to scar badly so I'm happy w/ the results thus far. The scar is low, even and flat.