Why Hair Transplants Are a Bad Idea - Miami, FL

Hair Transplants are a bad idea. I am a hair...

Hair Transplants are a bad idea. I am a hair transplant veteran/victim (4 procedures) and I am writing this post to help anyone who is considering this procedure to think twice before doing it. In particular, I am addressing the young men around 30, who don't know what they are getting themselves into. My goal is to get a newbie to NOT rush into this as I did and consider the long-term implications of what they are doing.

These following points should all be considered:

1. There isn't enough hair. If you pour about $40,000 into it, you can get back maximum 25% of your original density. That's it. About 7,500 grafts. It's nothing. Trust me. All you'll be able to do is have a real nice combover. That's about it.

2. The hairs are going to thin and age. This will render the cosmetically insignificant. If you transplant them at 30 years of age, they will not have the same cosmetic impact when you are older. They will look like unmanageable weeds.

3. The donor area will thin over time. This is the horrible truth hair transplant doctors don't tell you. The hairs in the back of your head will start thinning, too. Eventually, you will have the head of any regular old man - except for the giant strip scar or pock-mark dots of the hair transplants.

4. Propecia and other medicines don't work. Don't let the doctors lie to you. Propecia eventually stops working (Merck only ran their studies for five years - the point when they knew it stopped working) and your hair loss will continue. Minoxidil is absolutely worthless. Those are the only "proven" weapons in the arsenal and neither works.

5. New procedures like FUE have lower yields than strip and a host of other risks associated with them. You will never get your old hair back, so don't be fooled by the so-called advances in hair restoration surgery.

Take these five points, add them together and you'll get the simple fact. There is nothing you can really do about your hair loss. Better to shave your head and accept it.

The only qualifier? Hair transplants are excellent for very insecure individuals that want weeds on their head and a giant scar in the back when they become old men. If that fits your profile, then by all means have a hair transplant. If, on the other hand, you want to age like Bruce Willis or Andre Agassi, bald and handsome, let Mother Nature take her course and work on other parts of your life.

The truth is coming out about hair transplants. The number of transplants has come down since the heyday of 2000. (Real Self conveniently provides these stats so check them out) Please don't become another victim like me. There isn't a day that goes by that I don't regret what I did and wish I could just shave my head down.

Please, you sound like a pitch man for Dr. K. There are plenty of doctors that do excellent work but it's not just the doctor it's the patient more so. If your going to end up as a norwood 5,6 or 7 you're SOL unless you have tremendous amounts of donor hair, not likely. Like I've said before the results are fleeting you'll be back for more transplants and transplanted hair is not 100% permanent I've lost about 30+%. Good luck
pics?
Has anyone used dr jones in oakville ?
Don't say bs about Minoxidil! It helps me a lot!
Show us your results. I think it's useless
Somewhere somewhere I heard and I never forgot, you can never have too much money, too many diamonds or too much hair. I try to keep in mind that the purpose of this forum is dialog useful conversation that we may find helpful and maybe even help make a decision or just learn about Hair Restoration and yes in that way we absolutely rationalize weather a procedure is realistic. If it's not it's not to say that hair doesn't mean anything to a guys appearance is just crazy. If it's in the cards for you great, if not hopefully the shaved look works for you some men look great bald but not for the most part. Elvis with a saved head just wouldn't be the one we all know and love, or a Bald Robert Redford (in his day) somehow just don't seem like he would have found stardom, Imagine a shaved Brad Pitt, seems like generally men fare far better with hair. Even an ugly person (or Bastard) just seems better off with hair.
Understand-Speaks the truth: Thanks for the facts about Hair transplants but sadly I wasn't given that information when I was younger. I also had hair transplants done in my early 30's but many years latter I am retired and sporting a hairline that looks like a picket fence with a crown area that has tufts of cheap "Doll's hair" protruding from from it. This area would look much better if it were completely bald but the damage has been done. From a surgical perspective my hair transplant was exceptionally successful with an average density of over 15 hairs per plug but even then there is not enough hair available on the human head to adequately cover the missing horseshoe male pattern baldness vanity field. Do not waste your time and money on hair transplants or suffer the pain,remorse and anxiety on a procedure that is exploitive and looks much worse than baldness.
A lot of bald guys rationalizing. If you don't want one, don't get one. Just don't spread misinformation. The science has advanced beyond the crude methods used when you guys were butchered.
The Truth is there are still butchers in 2014. Yes not nearly as many as in the 70s, 80s & 90s. Still if you are one who gets butchered you will never be the same. Be careful and see many patients of the DR. Up close. This way you will have a good idea of what you are getting into.
It has nothing to do with rationalizing.. it has to do with reality and the reality is that hair doesn't mean a damn thing to a guys appearance. If you're a good looking guy then you will still be good looking without hair or a shaven head. If you're an ugly bastard then all the hair in the world on top of your head is not going to make you attractive. Hair transplants are for insecure suckers.
I 100% disagree. As ovid the roman poet said. " Ugly are the hornless bulls as are a field without grass as is a head without hair" Even the Biblical story of Sampson and Delilah are true. I have a good transplant after being botched in the 1980s. In 1985 before I started the surgeries I tried shaving my head. Awful. Then I started wearing hair and was getting hit on left and right. Then I had the corrective surgeries which now I have about an 80% Improvement. Hair rocks but bald well you can keep it. If you ever go to an alopecia support meeting ( Yes they have these for bald people not people with full heads of hair so that tells you a lot right there) when & if their hair grows back and I have spoken to these people. They say they feel much more self confident, more content and yes it does frame the face which in being bald it looks like something is missing. Some can pull it off better than others but still even they would benefit by better looks with hair. That is why the Hair Replacement Industry is a Billion dollar industry with drugs, surgeries and all other products. If it were not so important it would be a zero dollar entity.
Well your 100 percent disagree is incorrect because if you were to take David Beckham for example and shave his head with razor - he would still be a good looking guy. That's just a fact. I shave my head and I have no problem getting good looking girls... But I'll agree with you that some guys can do it and some guys can't. You have to be attractive to pull off a shaven head and have a nice head shape..
Wrong or Right is an opinion. Facts are that the Hair replacement industry is a billion dollar business. David Beckham too looks 100000000000000000% better with hair. Bald is ugly Bald is no way to be. Been there done that. I will take hair anyday but you can keep the bald head. Since you are so happy with it.
no way, i look really stupid without hair and really sexy with them on my head
-:- Message from RealSelf staff -:-

Crazy, but don't use finasteride cuz it's poison. Trust me from personal experience or visit ***3rd party links not permitted on the site*** to read more about the truth behind DHT blocking meds.
HT's If done correctly are way better than looking like Pierre McGuire. His head screams I need hair! He is the NHL Commentator in case you are now aware of him. Watch the Stanley Cup and you will see what I mean. Really sad for him. Even if he has a career it still looks bad.

seems legit
I had a hair transplant that I was not happy with. However I just shave my head bald and let the scar show. You can buy some products at the drugstore that you can apply that make the scar less noticeable. Or visit a dermatologist, there are some procedures that can reduce the appearance of the scar. My scar is just a line. I was very insecure about my scar at first but it is like everything else in life you get over it and don't even think about it. I have met many new friends and no one has even ever asked me about the scar. Think about it this way who goes around staring at the back of a person's head anyway? When you meet people and interact with them you are looking at their faces not the backs of their heads. For all you guys who have a hair transplant that you are not satisfied with just shave your head and let the scar show. You will look and feel much better about yourself in the long run.
Is there anyone out there that knows anything about Artas Robotic FUE procedures done at Sure Hair Transplant In Toronto Ontario
I got hair implants at 30 and it was worth every penny. I don't care if my hair thins out more by 50 - looking 50 when I'm 50 is fine. However, I don't wanna look 40 when I'm 30. I want an attractive mate. If I look 40 at 30, then who am I to expect any different in return from a woman? Sure one could get lucky and score a hottie still or just simply be rich, but otherwise chances are slim. Only regret is I should have done maybe 500 more grafts at the time. Also, hair cloning is continually improving too, so donor area is not really relevant.
Hugh Downs had Transplants done years ago and looks fine. The gray hair in his case helps because if it were dark hair it would not look as good.
hello. sir... thank you for the valuable advice... even i'm thinking of going for a hair transplant. so if you can guide me in this i'll be really grateful... and can i know from where you got your hair transplant done?