Why Hair Transplants Are a Bad Idea - Miami, FL

Hair Transplants are a bad idea. I am a hair...

Hair Transplants are a bad idea. I am a hair transplant veteran/victim (4 procedures) and I am writing this post to help anyone who is considering this procedure to think twice before doing it. In particular, I am addressing the young men around 30, who don't know what they are getting themselves into. My goal is to get a newbie to NOT rush into this as I did and consider the long-term implications of what they are doing.

These following points should all be considered:

1. There isn't enough hair. If you pour about $40,000 into it, you can get back maximum 25% of your original density. That's it. About 7,500 grafts. It's nothing. Trust me. All you'll be able to do is have a real nice combover. That's about it.

2. The hairs are going to thin and age. This will render the cosmetically insignificant. If you transplant them at 30 years of age, they will not have the same cosmetic impact when you are older. They will look like unmanageable weeds.

3. The donor area will thin over time. This is the horrible truth hair transplant doctors don't tell you. The hairs in the back of your head will start thinning, too. Eventually, you will have the head of any regular old man - except for the giant strip scar or pock-mark dots of the hair transplants.

4. Propecia and other medicines don't work. Don't let the doctors lie to you. Propecia eventually stops working (Merck only ran their studies for five years - the point when they knew it stopped working) and your hair loss will continue. Minoxidil is absolutely worthless. Those are the only "proven" weapons in the arsenal and neither works.

5. New procedures like FUE have lower yields than strip and a host of other risks associated with them. You will never get your old hair back, so don't be fooled by the so-called advances in hair restoration surgery.

Take these five points, add them together and you'll get the simple fact. There is nothing you can really do about your hair loss. Better to shave your head and accept it.

The only qualifier? Hair transplants are excellent for very insecure individuals that want weeds on their head and a giant scar in the back when they become old men. If that fits your profile, then by all means have a hair transplant. If, on the other hand, you want to age like Bruce Willis or Andre Agassi, bald and handsome, let Mother Nature take her course and work on other parts of your life.

The truth is coming out about hair transplants. The number of transplants has come down since the heyday of 2000. (Real Self conveniently provides these stats so check them out) Please don't become another victim like me. There isn't a day that goes by that I don't regret what I did and wish I could just shave my head down.

I think Hair transplantation is an intricate surgical process and like all surgical processes, hair transplantation surgery calls for some factor’s to be taken in consideration. Different types of hair transplant methods are used now for optimum success; however, most of the reputed institutes involved in process of hair transplantation in Istanbul recommend a few precautions for the patients aspiring for this hair restoring surgery process.
Crazy, but don't use finasteride cuz it's poison. Trust me from personal experience or visit pfsfoundation.org to read more about the truth behind DHT blocking meds.
HT's If done correctly are way better than looking like Pierre McGuire. His head screams I need hair! He is the NHL Commentator in case you are now aware of him. Watch the Stanley Cup and you will see what I mean. Really sad for him. Even if he has a career it still looks bad.
-:- Message from RealSelf staff -:-

Seems like a real review. (rolling eyes)
seems legit
I had a hair transplant that I was not happy with. However I just shave my head bald and let the scar show. You can buy some products at the drugstore that you can apply that make the scar less noticeable. Or visit a dermatologist, there are some procedures that can reduce the appearance of the scar. My scar is just a line. I was very insecure about my scar at first but it is like everything else in life you get over it and don't even think about it. I have met many new friends and no one has even ever asked me about the scar. Think about it this way who goes around staring at the back of a person's head anyway? When you meet people and interact with them you are looking at their faces not the backs of their heads. For all you guys who have a hair transplant that you are not satisfied with just shave your head and let the scar show. You will look and feel much better about yourself in the long run.
Is there anyone out there that knows anything about Artas Robotic FUE procedures done at Sure Hair Transplant In Toronto Ontario
I got hair implants at 30 and it was worth every penny. I don't care if my hair thins out more by 50 - looking 50 when I'm 50 is fine. However, I don't wanna look 40 when I'm 30. I want an attractive mate. If I look 40 at 30, then who am I to expect any different in return from a woman? Sure one could get lucky and score a hottie still or just simply be rich, but otherwise chances are slim. Only regret is I should have done maybe 500 more grafts at the time. Also, hair cloning is continually improving too, so donor area is not really relevant.
Hugh Downs had Transplants done years ago and looks fine. The gray hair in his case helps because if it were dark hair it would not look as good.
hello. sir... thank you for the valuable advice... even i'm thinking of going for a hair transplant. so if you can guide me in this i'll be really grateful... and can i know from where you got your hair transplant done?
hello sir. thank you for the valuable advice. even i'm thinking of going for a hair transplant. so if you can guide me in this i'll be really very grateful. and can you tell me from where you got your hair transplant done?
Dr Ray Woods did my Corrective work. He is not cheap but did great work using beard and body hair and some scalp donor to correct massive scars from previous surgeries. He is in Sydney Australia.
No Problem. Your welcome.
We have to be careful not to think we have the answer to everyone else's situation starting with me (something men think they can do) When considering a move that big and expensive I would avoid taking the only industry's opinion. Its prudent to do your own research over the appropriate amount of time and factors and face the facts some are not good candidates for Hair Restoration. It is very easy to question the medical profession plenty of room for that in that world I'm sure but our own research and how we apply it, even if that means not to do anything is vital. Realistic expectations in line with family history, age, donor area, current hair loss (in relation to age) miniaturization, multiple consultations where you ask candid questions is good before anything happens. I am a fan of Realself, and Hair Restoration and am ecstatic over how HT has improved my life. My hair loss effected my crown area. I never dreamed I would ever stop knowing 24/7 where my ball cap was, or not care about working to the point that I was sweating or it might start raining and I have to avoid standing in it. I didn't think or even imagine I would stop avoiding situations just because I just didn't want to be noticed with thin hair. The things I enjoy about having hair I didn't think about I was just trying to be normal. If it is realistic to have a procedure it can be more than you may imagine.
That is just a lovely comment and I'm so glad that it changed your life in such a positive way :)
I would have to agree with the original poster of this thread: hair transplants are bogus. The surgeons who sell them are like used car salesman. They never give you the whole story. They're cashing in on your insecurity. And in that vulnerable state, you hear what you want to hear. I had a transplant about 3 years ago. I wasn't even bald. Just had a high receding hairline. The hair on my head was thick everywhere. So they sold me on the pitch that I had plenty to donate from. I was always concerned that no one know I'd gotten one. Probably not an uncommon sentiment of patients. So I told them to just bring my hairline down a half inch or so. I didn't want to go crazy and have them draw up some new hairline everyone would recognize as being clearly lower. My grafts disappeared after a few months: the shedding process they talk about. When they did come back, slowly but surely, it appeared that most of them had in fact taken. I had 1,500 grafts. But the downside is the hair is all coarse and crazy for 6 months to a year. Finally now they more or less resemble normal hair and blend in. Though the transplant area is thinner then all the rest of my hair behind it. Another annoying thing is that the grafts will only really comb in one direction. Must have something to do with the way they were implanted. For now, everything is more or less fine. My hair is thick enough behind that I can conceal the thinner transplant area. I keep my hair fairly short and comb it to one side. It's undetectable. If anything, it might appear I'm simply thinning in front. What I'm really dreading though is what I'll look like ten years from now. A hair dresser already spotted my scar once and brought it up when I was getting a short haircut (an embarrassment for sure.) So essentially, I can't have anything shorter than a number 4 or 5 buzz in back or the scar shows. And eventually when I do go bald on top I'll have this thin line of donor hairs in front of my forehead. What do I do? Wax the top of my head? Have the grafts removed and put back over the scar tissue? My money would have been better spent going to see a shrink to deal with my low self esteem.
Y did u agree for strip transplant ? U should've gone for direct hair transplant (dhi). It started in 2014. M sure u must've heard it.
After researching the pros and the cons I am at peace with shaving my head. I don't even know why I wanted hair in the first place. I now have a insanely gorgeous wife, and plenty of attractive past girlfriends who could care less about my shaved head. If you do come across a girl who thinks its an issue, who cares walk 5 steps to the next girl. Dress nice and don't be a fat slob and trust me women DO NOT CARE. I did not want the smiling scar on the back of my head if the transplant did fail or as I aged. Look at Joe Rogan he totally said his transplant was a huge mistake. I didn't want to drop $12,000 or more on hair when that money can be used for a car, vacation, clothes ect. I didn't want to pour drugs into my body day after day and smell like a chemical plant on the top of my head.
I'm sorry to tell you this, but girls DO care. I'm 100% anonymous so I can be honest. Every girl I've ever met in my life cares, some are willing to deal with it if you're handsome enough otherwise (like 5%) but... Sorry man, most bald men look like turtles, not Vin Diesel. Especially the fat lazy ones who think they can stop working out.
Again, I feel bad telling you this, but I also don't think it's fair of you to post things that are flat out false. Yes, it sucks that men go bald prematurely, and I would never get a hair transplant cuz hey just read this page for reasons. And women are insanely concerned about not hurting men's feelings, so they will NEVER say this to your face. But being bald is ALWAYS worse than having hair. Sucks, but women have to go through a LOT worse in terms of beauty standards, they ALSO lose their hair, go grey, spend more on hair than men ever will, and are judged MUCH more harshly on their looks. So.. I feel bad for balding guys. But... Compared to women, who are judged mostly by men for Even small things... I can't feel TOO bad for guys. Karma. It's like rich guys who go after much younger girls: just cuz you have money doesn't mean you're hot and those girls don't like you, love you, respect you, not are they attracted to u. They use you n throw you away. But I digress.
Justbeinhonest, your honesty is a horribly, misguided lie. To most women a shaved head is not a concern. I suspect, there are as many women who love bald heads as women who hate them because 90% of them just don't care. Yep, there are women who absolutely love guys with a shaved head, and they find it more attractive. I've been told this by women when I had a full head of hair as well as after I started shaving my head. If a woman finds you attractive then she finds you attractive. A shaved-head is a hair style, some people look good with it while others, not as much... just like any other hair style.
As a hot chick, I'd like to weigh in. jimmy's comment echos what I was just thinking. The only two men who I have loved and adored both had hairline issues! Maybe it is an aphrodisiac! Ok, so one was really gorgeous, so let's knock him out of contention. But the other one had hairline issues that were only one aspect of his bad looks. Not to disparage someone who meant the world to me, but facts are facts. He had a hollow face, bulging eyes. The poor guy, bless his heart. But I loved him 110%. The only time I care about hair is when it doesnt seem to be maintained...like sometimes you see these guys with bald spot and they let the hair around it grow really long and they start to look unkempt, like they dont care about their appearance. I think that people with bald spots look best if they keep the hair around it short and neatly trimmed. My friend almost shaves his head and darn it, he looks great! Delicious even! Phew, that aphrodisiac is kicking in just thinking about it! :)
You're a Clown dude. I shave my head with a razor and I have absolutely no problem with good looking girls. In fact... most guys tend to look better with very short buzzed hair than with hair..