Why Hair Transplants Are a Bad Idea - Miami, FL

Hair Transplants are a bad idea. I am a hair...

Hair Transplants are a bad idea. I am a hair transplant veteran/victim (4 procedures) and I am writing this post to help anyone who is considering this procedure to think twice before doing it. In particular, I am addressing the young men around 30, who don't know what they are getting themselves into. My goal is to get a newbie to NOT rush into this as I did and consider the long-term implications of what they are doing.

These following points should all be considered:

1. There isn't enough hair. If you pour about $40,000 into it, you can get back maximum 25% of your original density. That's it. About 7,500 grafts. It's nothing. Trust me. All you'll be able to do is have a real nice combover. That's about it.

2. The hairs are going to thin and age. This will render the cosmetically insignificant. If you transplant them at 30 years of age, they will not have the same cosmetic impact when you are older. They will look like unmanageable weeds.

3. The donor area will thin over time. This is the horrible truth hair transplant doctors don't tell you. The hairs in the back of your head will start thinning, too. Eventually, you will have the head of any regular old man - except for the giant strip scar or pock-mark dots of the hair transplants.

4. Propecia and other medicines don't work. Don't let the doctors lie to you. Propecia eventually stops working (Merck only ran their studies for five years - the point when they knew it stopped working) and your hair loss will continue. Minoxidil is absolutely worthless. Those are the only "proven" weapons in the arsenal and neither works.

5. New procedures like FUE have lower yields than strip and a host of other risks associated with them. You will never get your old hair back, so don't be fooled by the so-called advances in hair restoration surgery.

Take these five points, add them together and you'll get the simple fact. There is nothing you can really do about your hair loss. Better to shave your head and accept it.

The only qualifier? Hair transplants are excellent for very insecure individuals that want weeds on their head and a giant scar in the back when they become old men. If that fits your profile, then by all means have a hair transplant. If, on the other hand, you want to age like Bruce Willis or Andre Agassi, bald and handsome, let Mother Nature take her course and work on other parts of your life.

The truth is coming out about hair transplants. The number of transplants has come down since the heyday of 2000. (Real Self conveniently provides these stats so check them out) Please don't become another victim like me. There isn't a day that goes by that I don't regret what I did and wish I could just shave my head down.

We have to be careful not to think we have the answer to everyone else's situation starting with me (something men think they can do) When considering a move that big and expensive I would avoid taking the only industry's opinion. Its prudent to do your own research over the appropriate amount of time and factors and face the facts some are not good candidates for Hair Restoration. It is very easy to question the medical profession plenty of room for that in that world I'm sure but our own research and how we apply it, even if that means not to do anything is vital. Realistic expectations in line with family history, age, donor area, current hair loss (in relation to age) miniaturization, multiple consultations where you ask candid questions is good before anything happens. I am a fan of Realself, and Hair Restoration and am ecstatic over how HT has improved my life. My hair loss effected my crown area. I never dreamed I would ever stop knowing 24/7 where my ball cap was, or not care about working to the point that I was sweating or it might start raining and I have to avoid standing in it. I didn't think or even imagine I would stop avoiding situations just because I just didn't want to be noticed with thin hair. The things I enjoy about having hair I didn't think about I was just trying to be normal. If it is realistic to have a procedure it can be more than you may imagine.
That is just a lovely comment and I'm so glad that it changed your life in such a positive way :)
I would have to agree with the original poster of this thread: hair transplants are bogus. The surgeons who sell them are like used car salesman. They never give you the whole story. They're cashing in on your insecurity. And in that vulnerable state, you hear what you want to hear. I had a transplant about 3 years ago. I wasn't even bald. Just had a high receding hairline. The hair on my head was thick everywhere. So they sold me on the pitch that I had plenty to donate from. I was always concerned that no one know I'd gotten one. Probably not an uncommon sentiment of patients. So I told them to just bring my hairline down a half inch or so. I didn't want to go crazy and have them draw up some new hairline everyone would recognize as being clearly lower. My grafts disappeared after a few months: the shedding process they talk about. When they did come back, slowly but surely, it appeared that most of them had in fact taken. I had 1,500 grafts. But the downside is the hair is all coarse and crazy for 6 months to a year. Finally now they more or less resemble normal hair and blend in. Though the transplant area is thinner then all the rest of my hair behind it. Another annoying thing is that the grafts will only really comb in one direction. Must have something to do with the way they were implanted. For now, everything is more or less fine. My hair is thick enough behind that I can conceal the thinner transplant area. I keep my hair fairly short and comb it to one side. It's undetectable. If anything, it might appear I'm simply thinning in front. What I'm really dreading though is what I'll look like ten years from now. A hair dresser already spotted my scar once and brought it up when I was getting a short haircut (an embarrassment for sure.) So essentially, I can't have anything shorter than a number 4 or 5 buzz in back or the scar shows. And eventually when I do go bald on top I'll have this thin line of donor hairs in front of my forehead. What do I do? Wax the top of my head? Have the grafts removed and put back over the scar tissue? My money would have been better spent going to see a shrink to deal with my low self esteem.
After researching the pros and the cons I am at peace with shaving my head. I don't even know why I wanted hair in the first place. I now have a insanely gorgeous wife, and plenty of attractive past girlfriends who could care less about my shaved head. If you do come across a girl who thinks its an issue, who cares walk 5 steps to the next girl. Dress nice and don't be a fat slob and trust me women DO NOT CARE. I did not want the smiling scar on the back of my head if the transplant did fail or as I aged. Look at Joe Rogan he totally said his transplant was a huge mistake. I didn't want to drop $12,000 or more on hair when that money can be used for a car, vacation, clothes ect. I didn't want to pour drugs into my body day after day and smell like a chemical plant on the top of my head.
I'm sorry to tell you this, but girls DO care. I'm 100% anonymous so I can be honest. Every girl I've ever met in my life cares, some are willing to deal with it if you're handsome enough otherwise (like 5%) but... Sorry man, most bald men look like turtles, not Vin Diesel. Especially the fat lazy ones who think they can stop working out.
Again, I feel bad telling you this, but I also don't think it's fair of you to post things that are flat out false. Yes, it sucks that men go bald prematurely, and I would never get a hair transplant cuz hey just read this page for reasons. And women are insanely concerned about not hurting men's feelings, so they will NEVER say this to your face. But being bald is ALWAYS worse than having hair. Sucks, but women have to go through a LOT worse in terms of beauty standards, they ALSO lose their hair, go grey, spend more on hair than men ever will, and are judged MUCH more harshly on their looks. So.. I feel bad for balding guys. But... Compared to women, who are judged mostly by men for Even small things... I can't feel TOO bad for guys. Karma. It's like rich guys who go after much younger girls: just cuz you have money doesn't mean you're hot and those girls don't like you, love you, respect you, not are they attracted to u. They use you n throw you away. But I digress.
Justbeinhonest, your honesty is a horribly, misguided lie. To most women a shaved head is not a concern. I suspect, there are as many women who love bald heads as women who hate them because 90% of them just don't care. Yep, there are women who absolutely love guys with a shaved head, and they find it more attractive. I've been told this by women when I had a full head of hair as well as after I started shaving my head. If a woman finds you attractive then she finds you attractive. A shaved-head is a hair style, some people look good with it while others, not as much... just like any other hair style.
As a hot chick, I'd like to weigh in. jimmy's comment echos what I was just thinking. The only two men who I have loved and adored both had hairline issues! Maybe it is an aphrodisiac! Ok, so one was really gorgeous, so let's knock him out of contention. But the other one had hairline issues that were only one aspect of his bad looks. Not to disparage someone who meant the world to me, but facts are facts. He had a hollow face, bulging eyes. The poor guy, bless his heart. But I loved him 110%. The only time I care about hair is when it doesnt seem to be maintained...like sometimes you see these guys with bald spot and they let the hair around it grow really long and they start to look unkempt, like they dont care about their appearance. I think that people with bald spots look best if they keep the hair around it short and neatly trimmed. My friend almost shaves his head and darn it, he looks great! Delicious even! Phew, that aphrodisiac is kicking in just thinking about it! :)
Honestly, I don't even know why I went through the trouble to do this but I uploaded photos in an effort to combat some of the negative posts on here. Here are my results after almost 2 years, my hair isn't perfect but it is undetectable and a million times better than it was,***3rd party links not permitted in comments**. You get what you pay for, and if you want hair it's worth the investment.
Do you have a before picture and how many grafts?
2000 grafts, I don't have a before picture because I was so embarrassed and insecure about my hair loss that I wore nothing but hats or tried to comb it over which looked awful.
I looked at the picture and I would like to say that what you are doing is wrong. You give two pictures which you claim are after an HT surgery but provide no before picture. Not one. You are telling us you don't have even one before picture to compare to? Your surgeon did not take one before picture? We also have no idea about your age, place on the Norwood Hamilton scale, or what kind of procedure this was (if strip, then include picture of donor site). We also do not know if you are on meds and how long you have been suffering from hair loss. So your post provides ZERO help to those looking for real talk on this board. In fact, the pictures you posted indicate little to no hair loss at all. Certainly not along the mid-scalp or crown region. There is no way you were NWIV or higher and got this kind of density. Were you even a NWIII? Also the hairs show no sign of thinning or discoloration so this is clearly a younger man's head (looks like someone under 30). The pictures give no indication of what this hair will look like in 10 to 15 years. Of course it could also be that a concealer like Kabuki or Dermatch (Wayne Rooney does it to conceal his poor results). You are doing a disservice to this blog with your post and make yourself suspect as being another HT rep masquerading as a patient (which happens all too often). All your post does is confuse another potential victim of falling in the trap of these risky and dangerous procedures. It's wrong and you should be ashamed of yourself.
Extremely difficult to form any valid opinion of the effectiveness of whatever you had done by looking at two pictures, without context or history. There are plenty of pictures out there showing the opposite, like those scalp tattoo sites which specifically cover grafting scars.
I do see an extremely small hint of a "horse shoe" around the head, but seems too full to me to be a transplant. That hair with 2,000 less grafts IMO wouldn't really even have the appearance of balding yet. I have seen successful transplants, a friend of mine i'd hung with for years mentioned he was balding. I'm like "that's not balding, this is balding" and took off my hat. He saw my scar, pulled me aside and said "I have that same scar". I had NO idea.
I am 29 I take propecia and I am not affiliated with any ht doctor or service. I am happy with my results and I only commented in the first place bc I wanted to give an honest opinion from someone who has been there and knows how much it sucks to start going bald. If it looks bad 10 years from now I will take action to combat further loss but as of now I am very happy with the results. Also, my doctor did take before shots but i did not request a copy. I will say that when I went to my pcp last month for a propecia script and confided that I had the procedure he nearly fell out of his chair in disbelief and asked a million questions. So I understand your skepticism.
Michael315... Your comments here and from a few weeks ago ("I'm 29 and I cleared 6 figures for the first time last year and I owe it all to the confidence that comes from a nice head of hair." LOL) make you sound like a paid shill. Sorry. But regular HT patients don't make comments like that. Why did you bother to put up those pictures at all? They are worthless without the "before" pics. There are tons of real pics up on the Realself gallery for a person to judge. No one needs what you posted to make an informed decision about getting an HT. You're either a paid shill or a troll on this board. Anyone who believes you is incredibly foolish and naieve.
I'm neither a troll nor a paid shill, I'm cocky and arrogant there is a difference. I never comment on forums but I feel very different than you and felt that my take should be heard. I'm sorry you had a bad experience but that doesn't mean that we all have. Furthermore, I never promoted a doctor or product I simply said I have had success. Those pictures that were blocked are of my head taken specifically in reply to your retort as proof and blocking them was a disjustice to those who want a different perspective. I would be more than happy to skype or FaceTime to prove that I am not only real but have the scars to prove it. It's also worth noting that I was not the only person who commented on a positive ht experience.
Okay. That's fine. All opinions are appreciated here. Realself is a great forum for discussion, and we all want to keep it that way. So now you can really help us all out. Go to your HT surgeon and get those before and after pics. Then post the pics so we can see them. Also, please tell us where you are on the Norwood Scale. For you to have gotten those results, you were no worse than a NWII or NWIII, which means you really don't suffer from hair loss. Not like the rest of us do. We need clear cut pics that help us make sure before matches after and that there is no use of concealer. Bright light and wet with after pics would be best. The real injustice would be for some poor NWV to think he can get the same results of a NWII just because you wanted to be brash and cocky. 2,000 grafts doesn't result in what you posted (a full head of hair) unless the hair loss is limited. We need before pics to render judgment. Meeting on skype is pointless unless we know what you looked like before surgery. However, once we get your NW scale info and before pics, I would be more than willing to meet you on skype and chat. Finally, I'd like to point out that you are still only 29 and have no idea what is coming to you long-term. You aren't the first and won't be the last HT patient that starts the war cocky and ends up battle-scarred and cynical after the long-term struggle. You may come back and sing a different tune in 10 years. But for now, be a man and be professional. We need honest before and after pics.
so true,you may look alittle better,but this guy wants you to believe he is a stand in for brad pitt,and with his new HT he can jump out of a plane without a shoot and land on his feet,dont post fairytails anyone knows anything will call you out.
People have strong opinions about a lot of procedures, but I think it's important to assess the procedure without judging the person. I see a lot here where two people can get the same procedure, but one person genuinely loves it while another person condemns it. My lawyer once told me there's three versions of any event, what you think happened, what the other person thinks happened, and what really happened.
Hahaha they deleted your spam links and pics. The thing that gave you away is when you said you don't have any before pics. You have NO PICS OF YOUR PREVIOUS 29 YEARS ON THIS EARTH?? ROFL yeah right.
Understand-Speaks-the-Truth, I dont understand why people think it is ok to insult others on this site. Its about support and getting the facts in a respectful way, even if we disagree. When you insult people like this, no one will hear your message, they will just hear the anger and stop reading.
I like that quote!
I appreciate being able to post comments on this site I discovered it saved it and return on occasion. I am a fan of realself. I think it is wise to consider that most people would have had a negative experience with a HT simply because of the subject. There is a lot of information (very good mostly) about avoiding making a bad decision all very useful, I can't help even resist saying that under the right conditions when certain considerations are made HT can be a more than rewarding experience. But because a lot of comments here have negative tones that does not mean most people that have HT procedures have bad HT procedures. It seems more likely that a person with a negative experience would be more likely to post here. Most who are happy are probably off to the dance. Each situation each person is different and there are some hard questions and smart things to consider. Family history, has your hair loss stabilized, age, realistic expectations given your situation. I'm not taking up for the Medical Profession. If a person is considering HT go to multiple consultations with reputable Doctors. Slam the Dr. during the consultation with hard questions that you thought of with your own research. I am 53 I had 1300 graphs (strip) at 46 and it completely changed my life. Completely. HT is not for every situation but when it is it can be beyond words. Simple things like going to dinner, just going to the store without a cap, being outside on a windy day, not caring where I am standing in the room (because it doesn't feel like the room is looking at my crown anymore). As I have aged people have made comments about my gray hair. Gray hair. Music to my ears. By no means am I saying I'm an expert, I'm more of a novice. The last thing I want to do is be negative I'm just hoping to point out how important it is consider everything including the potential of a good procedure.
I think this is generally good advice. I've rarely seen good results from HT, and seen a lot of non-results, and some disasters. My observation is that people seem to post pictures just after the HT, really happy assuming that what's transplanted will stick, but often after several months they're no better for the whole treatment. I would correct you on one thing. Finasteride does work, for some people. I've been on it for over 15 years, except for times I've slackened off, and then my hair thinned and started falling out rapidly, so I went on it again. It's true that even with Finasteride we will still continue losing our hair, but that happens to both men and women as they age, time just rolls on. It's just a fact of life.