Excellent Results, Good Aftercare, Great Price - Mexico

I am 58 and was motivated to have a face lift 4...

I am 58 and was motivated to have a face lift 4 years ago after losing significant weight from a lap band procedure. Dr. Guerrerosantos is a great surgeon and his son Fernando joined the practice. 5 years ago. I knew he had taught other surgeons not only in Mexico but also at international symposiums. So, I researched articles he has written on PubMed (National Library of Medicine) The outcome is excellent. I am most impressed with the work on my neck, chin and eyes. I wish that I had been more explicit that I wanted a tighter look. If I return to GDL for additional surgery, I will definitely go with their clinic. I need additional lipo in my upper abdomen (the band was removed), also where the band of my bra fits under the arm and lastly - my upper calves. Most high boots do not fit me. Next time, I will book my surgery during the coolest time of the year and add some time for shopping at the end of the trip. GDL is a great city and Chapalita area is a very safe and lovely area. There is a lovely outdoor walking mall and nice restaurants. They have what are called "Executivo" buses that are very reasonable. I did not use taxis except to and from the airport. His driver took me to and from appointments for a small fee.

Please join RealSelf or sign in.

How do I contrast the 2 surgeons that worked on...

How do I contrast the 2 surgeons that worked on me? Dr. Cardenas was excellent and his work introduced me to plastic surgery in Mexico. While I feel that he personally is an excellent surgeon, I did not like his private hospital and the quality of nursing care I received. The aftercare I received was adequate but quite average. Conversely, I feel that Dr. Guerrerosantos and his son, Fernando Guerrerosantos have much better bedside manner and explained the procedures to me in more detail. They made me feel more comfortable. I also liked the hospital he chose - Sanatorium Guadelajara. He recommended a Gastroenterologist and I had endoscopy for a band erosion the morning before my PS. While I was there, I also had dental work and dermatology work done. He made great recommendations and helped me find the right physicians. Having a good experience is based on choosing the right physicians - whether you are in the USA or doing the medical tourism stint abroad.

Thanks so much for all the info. From your picture I think Dr. G. did a great job and my kudos to you for the large weight loss. I know what will power and determination that takes. I have always had 3 sizes in my closet and know it is a forever battle for me too!

I'm your age and after supporting and taking care of kids, grandkids, etc., etc. I've decided it's time to take care of me. So, a few years ago I quit smoking, went on yet another diet after all the weight I gained from no longer smoking and started exercising. In other words, I've become healthy--woo hoo! After I quit smoking I promised myself that I'd have laser resurfacing on my face with the money I saved and that began my path on cosmetic procedures. I've subsequently had lipo for the areas that no amount of dieting and exercise seemed to touch. Now I'm looking in the mirror and wondering when my face began to head south so it's facelift time. My kids may not get an inheritance but I'm gonna look real pretty in that pine/cardboard box!
Bridget,

You're going to be here a long time - I see no pine box in the near future!

After working so hard to get the weight off, (size 20 >> size 12). I wanted to look nice.

Because of our age, Dr. G has you see an Internist in GDL that does an EKG and examination prior to surgery. In addition, he requires a full lab workup.

I still have a very round face like a squirrel with nuts in his mouth -- and I am thinking about a cheek reduction. Or buchal fat pad removal. There is a video clip of this procedure on Dr. Andrew Ordon's web site.

Dr. Jose G. did a great job on the facelift. His son has now pretty much taken over his practice. Dr. Fernando Guerrerosantos (Jose's son) does the buchal fat pad removal procedure on an outpatient basis and charges $1500. If you have a very round face, consider the cheek reduction before he tightens the skin at the chin and neck area. I wish I had known about this procedure 4 years ago.

Best of luck.
Congratulations on the weight loss. You'll be very happy with the results.

According to a video clip on cheek reduction (posted on Dr. Andrew Ordon's site), this procedure removes the buchal fat pad that is almost impossible to get rid of through dieting. If I had known about this option, I would have it done at the same time as the facelift.
Wow, thanks for all the info svoebel--lots to digest but all very, very helpful!

I'm really following Colleen's progress to see what her final opinion of Dr. G. is. Dr. K sounds like he's excellent and while his prices are much less expensive than the U.S., by the time you factor in the procedure, the cost of a ticket, hotel, food, transportation, etc. we're starting to get up there in the price range. However, we are talking about the most visible part of a person--yikes--much to think about. Thanks again.
Mexico Plastic Surgeon

I had previously had a tummy tuck and lipo with another well known surgeon in Guadelajara. I was happy with the results but wanted to be in a better hospital. Since Dr. Jose Guerrerosantos is 1 of 2 (American) Board Certified plastic surgeons in Mexico, I decided to give him a try. I was very impressed with his clinic, the hospital he chose, the aftercare I received - and most of all - my results.