I Avoided Needing Dentures Thanks to German Arzate & Staff!! - Mexico, MX

My experience was beyond belief! Two years ago and...

My experience was beyond belief! Two years ago and no problems. I had two cracked molars and cried getting estimates in the U.S. just to fix them. I researched it, emailed & spoke w/ Dr. Arzate after sending x rays. I flew down alone and met w/ them for the estimate. Since I borrowed money anyway, I opted for a whole mouth makeover. I ended up w/ many root canals, each tooth crowned, several implants and much more work done than we thought I'd need - ALL WITHOUT EXTRA COSTS!

I am an older woman who traveled and stayed alone there 8 days and always felt safe. The dental clinic also helped me feel confident and secure. I can't say enough good things, I'm not wealthy or even close (I work in a grocery store), but I'd rather have my beautiful functioning teeth than anything else, and these folks made it affordable. You won't regret going to these fine people! The only problem you may encounter is feeling comfortable filling the prescriptions for antibiotics and pain (at a fair price get generics) - I recommend you go to the far end of the Mall to the small drug store, I found them very helpful. Oh, and I do NOT even speak Spanish, didn't need to! Also, the pathetic part-time insurance I have paid for a small part and would have been liable for each crown but apparently Dr. German used the best material, not normal in the U.S., and they only would have covered the cheap stuff. Hmmm. Go for the Best, you deserve it!!

Mexico Cosmetic Dentist

Personal online research. They actually cared about me, what I wanted, my pain level and all. I was amazed as each of the Specialist came and went and consulted while all working their magic on me. I even researched the lab where the crowns were made & they send work out to dentists globally. One of the last crowns wasn't fitting exactly the way the Doctor wanted (though I could tell no difference) and he asked me to nap while he drove to the lab and had it remade! Good Grief! And there was Carmen, my angel, to hold my hand. What a trip. People I tell about it say, "oh, not in the U.S.A, what a risk all the way around, ...". BS. They were cleaner and more professional than most American places. And if I'd had any problems, I'd probably be treated better than anywhere here in the U.S., though I'd have to fly there first (now there is a morning and evening flight daily out of South Florida). I'd rather pay for a flight & get what I need at a tremendous savings, with people I completely trust than not. So, what do you need to know about this place? You can email me any time you'd like (ask Dr. German for contact info, because they check on me now and then to make sure my teeth are good).

It seems quite surprising to me that you went there for two cracked teeth that were bothering you and came back with a full smile makeover, including a lot of procedures. You say: "I ended up with many root canals, each tooth crowned, several implants and much more work done than we thought I'd need". Do you really needed all of this, and especially, ALL your teeth crowned? Has the doctor explained to you, and demonstrated on xrays, the necessity for each of those procedures? Has the other doctor, who had seen you in the US, also told you that you needed so much work done? Do you have 'Before' xrays of all the teeth that received treatment? It would have been a good idea to look for more than one opinion before proceding to dental treatment (not only for a quote). Another thing that surprises me is that, as you say, this doctor quotes a fixed price for ANY amount of work he does on the patient. You say: "he gives you a figure and then does whatever is necessary, regardless of how much more work you get" and "he does not itemize the bill". Although that may sound tempting if the patient has financial concerns, no treatment should be performed without a good reason and justification and, most of all, without real necessity. I believe that conservative dentistry (whenever possible) is the best dentistry so far. Unfortunately, at present, there is no substitute for natural teeth that can feel and function exactly like these do. That's why regenerative dentistry, if successful, would be a great advancement in medical history! Until then, one should be cautious, get informed, and avoid unnecessary treatment. Cosmetic dentistry, if performed unnecessarily, is a pitfall in which lots of people fall by wanting to have a "perfect" smile (which, in reality, is more artificial that "perfect"). We all make mistakes, but it's important to identify them so that we don't repeat them or, unwillingly, influence others for the worse. From your story, I sincerely got a strong feeling that you had been overtreated by being innocent, uninformed, and fully confident in this person. In fact, your story intrigued me so much that I searched the internet a little and found a very sad patient's complaint about this doctor.

-:- Message from RealSelf staff -:-

You should always get a 2nd opinion...
-:- Message from RealSelf staff -:-

Wow! You should have had a 2nd opinion before doing all the "extra" dentistry. You also want to get digital x- rays(90% radiation free) as they are more accurate because they are detailed to the point that you understand where the infection is..not just a dark fuzzy spot...Hope you didn't get crowns fused to metal (pfm)...these contain tin and nickel and often cause gum irritation and swelling. Also, in the USA, you can have your all porcelain crowns completed in under 2 hours chairside! This can only be accomplished with CEREC 3 D CAD design! No more ill fitting temporary crowns that fall out mid week, No more 2nd visits and unnecessary shots, No more goop in your mouth because we use intraoral cameras to image the tooth. The cost is reasonable because we don't have to send out our crown orders to a lab which charges up to $300/ tooth! Check us out in South Bend, Indiana. We have been in practice 24 years and loving it! Tad S. Lovan DDS, P.C
They wanted $1,000 a crown at the dentist that I have been going to for years....no insurance and like Vestilene....older...and I have no dental insurance... Went to Mexico...got 3 porcelain crowns made with Cerec machine by end of day...also had ZOOM whitening... She had to take off the old metal crowns and fill two cavities... I feel comfortable in going to Mexico for treatment....just like other things...do some research... I paid less than $1400...not including a $350 plane ticket and nice hotel for $80 a night...one night paid by clinic and a driver... I am sure that in time I might have found a comfortable dentist here...but of the 2 others I checked on....I still came out ahead and I feel the work was great...
Dear Robbie, sounds great do you know how much it would be over all to have possibly 3 srew in crowns placed in I already have one root canal that was done 3 yrs ago and the idiots used a plastic post so guess what it fell out...help thanks from Massachusetts..
Which clinic Kellygirl101 did you go to?

It is great to hear  you had such a good experience! You mentioned "Dr. German used the best material". Do you mind me asking what material that was, and what material your insurance was willing to cover in the U.S.?

I'll look it up tomorrow and get back to you soon. It was a couple years ago & I just got home from work. Print out what exactly your insurance covers - they were quite specific on mine - but it was for the cheapest material possible that they'd cover. And remember not to let your insurance company run you around, demand a manager (& keep good notes) and know that if your policy does not state clearly that the work has to be done in the U.S., then it doesn't. They ran me around but Dr. German & staff sent all the documentation (licenses, etc.) & I got what I could. It isn't hard to get what you deserve, you just have to be nicely persistent. It says you are "community manager" next to your name. What does that mean?

It means I work for RealSelf helping the community members navigate the site and get the information they need. I would love it if you would fill me in on specifically what material was used for your crowns when you can. :)

It appears that the insurance only paid for "composite resin crown". I had not checked on that before going & may have taken it into consideration, though their coverage amount wasn't enough not to get the better option myself. I had porcelain crowns. Dr. German does not itemize the bill, or rather, I didn't get an itemized bill, I think because he gives you a figure and then does whatever is necessary, regardless of how much more work you get. The estimate I have from the dentist here in the U.S. (that I got the complete set of xrays that I sent out for estimates) was $2950 for each porcelain crown, not counting each and every nitpicked charge he'd add for each root canal, necessary post, cleaning, rubber gloves, etc. I have 28 teeth, right? That would be $84,000 just for the crowns alone!! I guess he needs a new boat or something. Oh, and I didn't mention that when working on me, Dr. German said I had a "gummy smile" and he could fix that if I wanted, to which I said, "you're the pro, do whatever you think is good." WOW! A little added gum surgery, too. WOW! Now that I'm writing about it, I should send them some flowers or candy or something.

Hmm, it seems the dentist you went to for the quote was really high priced. I went to a dentist who is definitely among the costlier dentists in the Seattle area and I only paid $1,536 for my crown, so not sure how your estimate was coming in at almost double. Regardless, I'm glad you were pleased and hope you get many, many years of happiness from your new smile.

-:- Message from RealSelf staff -:-

It's too bad I can't get a job as a researcher of some kind, because I did an incredible job researching this dental event of mine.
I'm sorry my original quote was so high. I did get 28 teeth done and feel I saved a bundle.
Good question to ask Megan..The best stuff can mean plastics or resin material in some dentists opinion. Porcelain without metal is the best way to go as it is more compatible to the natural tooth enamel. Metal also does not allow light to pass through the tooth, thus giving it a dull appearance. Most if not all labs in Mexico use PFM materials which is simply porcelain fused to metal. What type of metals? Junk metal is most typical and is the cheapest. Metals fused to crowns consist of tin and nickel which cause allergic reactions most commonly felt as gum irritation and redness! Buyer beware...Dr Tad S. Lovan dds
My 100% porcelain crowns are under $1200 in South Bend, IN...and we never bill out for things like rubber gloves! By the way, lasers are the best for gummy smiles and the heal time is 75% quicker with no infection! Tad Lovan